Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Foot and Mouth

• 13-12-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if any of your littles one had or have this, mine does! Seems to be everywhere at the minute. We seem to be getting through it however still alot of red spots on hands etc. Do they say when the blisters crust its more or less over? Anyway my question is what did ye do re cleaning the whole place?? What is the best way to go about this job, has everything to be literally disinfected. What about couches, carpets etc etc?? We are suppose to be having a crowd for Christmas, who also have children so I want to make sure the place is cleaned and they cant get it. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

dont bother, thats life, plus if they are still contagious when the guests arrive there is nothing in the world you can do cleaning wise, if they are no longer contagious the cleaning is a waste of time.

hand foot and mouth is a pain but generally not the worst thing, it comes they are sick, it goes.

having said all that my middle one ended up in hospital with it, the ulcers in her mouth were so bad she could not drink a single drop for about 4 days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would not bother with that level of cleaning.
    I hate to say it, but it will be something else in two weeks time.And other kids could bring stuff to yours.Maybe wash some toys if you think they might be in need of it, but that would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Thanks maybe just the normal clean would be sufficient then. We'll one has it since last Thurs so he starting to clear now and other has it since Tuesday so they should b well over contagious stage by Christmas.... Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Just be aware Hand Foot and mouth effects nail growth
    So in 2 weeks time you may find that their nails will break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Hand foot and mouth is viral....not meant for adults but i got it when one of my kids had it 3 years ago...missed the Xmas party and stayed at home from work for 2 days....as i couldnt risk spreading it with 2 pregnant girls on my team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

foodaholic wrote: »
    Just be aware Hand Foot and mouth effects nail growth
    So in 2 weeks time you may find that their nails will break

Yes, about 3 weeks after my little boy had it he actually shed his nails and there was perfectly formed little nails underneath...it was mad!!

Thanks all, think coming out other side of things. When do they say they not contagious anymore? My lo has it a week yesterday and want try get her back to school....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

michdee wrote: »
    Thanks all, think coming out other side of things. When do they say they not contagious anymore? My lo has it a week yesterday and want try get her back to school....

It’s contagious before they get symptoms, so they will be ok now. My little boy got it in crèche a few months ago, but thankfully a very mild dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I think the HSE and NHS say that once they feel well and have no temperature they are fine to be in school so guessing the presence of blisters is no indication of how contagious they are.

My two got it and I got it from them, it was horrific for me, really really uncomfortable on hands and feet, not to mention the flu like symptoms for a day before the blisters appeared. It is weeks ago since I got it and my feet are still peeling after the blisters that the soles of my feet were covered in!

I scrubbed our house with Dettol including toys, didn't make much of a difference! And I was washing my child's hands in very diluted savlon every time they came home from crèche,again,made no difference

Thanks everyone. House cleaned and toys washed so will see how it goes.
    My Los skin peeling shocking too on feet and fingers. It's terrible

• Advertisement
Advertisement