Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

john9876 wrote: »
    But does she want a hard Brexit?
    She's always been upset at the EU human rights courts.
    So that would be the silver lining on a Hard Brexit.

She set an immigration target of 100,000
    Last year more than that number came in from just China and India.
    Not sure if that means she doesn't care, is powerless or fickle.

EU immigration has dropped off though , but partly because Sterling dropped and possibly because the UK may appear more unwelcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Scoondal wrote: »
    You do not realise that in The Republic of Ireland people have numerous referenda every year.
    I'm rather surprised that a soi-disant Irish poster would think this.

She's always been upset at the EU human rights courts.
    So that would be the silver lining on a Hard Brexit.

She set an immigration target of 100,000
    Last year more than that number came in from just China and India.
    Not sure if that means she doesn't care, is powerless or fickle.

EU immigration has dropped off though , but partly because Sterling dropped and possibly because the UK may appear more unwelcoming.
    The ECHR is not an EU institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Preaching to the converted I think.

Brexiteers in their wonderful fantasy empire world will just claim they are the Churchills, the Atlee's and the Bevan's. And they won't be convinced otherwise.
    Lammy was clearly aiming his words at the Labour front bench.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Anthracite wrote: »

She is determined to leave that as well, and renounce the European Convention of Human Rights.

She is wedded to the 'Hostile Environment' she visited on the Windrush Generation, plus anyone else drawn into the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1083365269702144000

Biggest commons defeat in history coming up to go with her only contempt of parliament in history medal, she's managed to lose a load of support after delaying the vote in order to shore up support, kind of similar to her ingenious snap election that sought to increase her majority.

When you look at the horror stories from her time in the home office you really have to think Theresa May will be remembered as one of the most unbelievably incompetent politicians in British history, she is just off the scale at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,482 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

murphaph wrote: »
    Lammy was clearly aiming his words at the Labour front bench.

Yep = deaf ears. They are too far down a bolt hole similar to May's one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Christy42 wrote: »
    Hmm. I get the referendum is advisory but I feel like it is a bad precedent to ignore it.

No idea why they just didn't take the lightest Brexit available and leave it for future governments to increase/decrease separation from there depending on what mandate they get going into government.

It would have the handy benefit of forcing someone to take responsibility for the entire mess which decreases the likelihood of it happening.

They were definitely conned by that fraud of a PM (Cameron). Telling the electorate that the result was irreversible and not even Parliament could overturn it was reckless in the extreme and showed his supreme arrogance. But I can definitely see that many people thought they were voting in an irreversible referendum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anthracite wrote: »
    The EU signed up to it. Article 6(2) of the Lisbon treaty.

So the UK has to leave the EU to leave it
    On the eve of the Brexit referendum, Ms May said: “The ECHR can bind the hands of parliament, adds nothing to our prosperity, makes us less secure by preventing the deportation of dangerous foreign nationals – and does nothing to change the attitudes of governments like Russia’s when it comes to human rights.”

It's a clear case of baby and bathtub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Powerful and courageous speech by Lammy.

I'm sure he can expect his face to be on the front of tomorrows Mail or Express with a banner of TRAITOR TO THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE or some-other such sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm sure he can expect his face to be on the front of tomorrows Mail or Express with a banner of TRAITOR TO THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE or some-other such sh1te.
    He's had worse. Only the other day he tweeted this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

lol, Brendan O'Neill being destroyed on Sky Press Preview.

He literally said 'its better to have a bad government you can throw out then a good king you are stuck with'.

Uh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If she loses by those sort of numbers, she gone.

Lammy was setting the record with a powerful speech to the truth for all who wanted to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

J Mysterio wrote: »
    He was whinging on Spiked about being attacked by Anna Soubry and Jess Phillips. It was quite funny because he was basically saying they should be well able to handle a few protesters shouting at them and then went full snowflake when they shouted him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Christy42 wrote: »
    Has the last two years simply been various UK politicians stating that they will get the best deal without outlining anything about their ideal deal?

Someone asked Corbyn should be asked whether he would put May's deal back if he made no progress. I would also ask how embarrassing it would be when the 27 told him they were not interested in further negotiation (which they would) and not even let him in the room never mind change the deal.

It's Corbyn's only option. He has to deliver Brexit to all his constituencies that voted to leave. And he agrees with every one of them.
    The reason for the UK deadlock is that the two biggest parties are 180° out of phase with Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He literally said 'its better to have a bad government you can throw out then a good king you are stuck with'.

Uh.....

Why the hell is a nobody like O'Neill being smooched by the media?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why the hell is a nobody like O'Neill being smooched by the media?

Because he's an Irishman who has anti-Irish opinions for money.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This lady tells it straight about May on Question Time

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1083498634904256516

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'm so glad he isn't really Irish.

Doesn't describe himself as one though
    Gintonious wrote: »
    I'm so glad he isn't really Irish.

He is if he has an Irish passport (not sure if he does)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Think he described himself as being from Irish 'peasant' stock..

He's a dullard

That will suit him if there is a hard Brexit so.

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1083498634904256516

Whats the story with the ear pod bloke? He expecting an important call there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Some in audience on Question Time blaming the EU for the difficulty in negotiations and getting rapturous applause.

Shaking my head at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Before i got bored and went bed, the lady on the left of the panel, a columnist with the Times I think, claimed that Britain would have taken the EU ("these people" she called the EU at one point with a tone of disgust) to the cleaners had they a proper Brexiteer negotiation team. People are still peddling this nonsene.

Nish Kumar spoke the most sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Uh.....
    Is that the same O'Neill that Andrew Maxwell destroyed on politics live a while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's strange that on a number of Brexit panels that the comedian is the one making sense.

He parents were Irish peasants in the 70s, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Some in audience on Question Time blaming the EU for the difficulty in negotiations and getting rapturous applause.

Shaking my head at this.

In fairness when another audience member called it out ss bull**** she got a bigger reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hurrache wrote: »
    In fairness when another audience member called it out ss bull**** she got a bigger reaction.

I laughed at Melanie Philips (Times journalist) who said previously Nigel Farage should be in charge of negotiations refusing to name anyone else who should lead this in May's place.

Brexiteers in a nutshell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement