Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

lawred2 wrote: »
    Check out @CuAnnan’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/CuAnnan/status/1072953567387009029?s=09

Not sure which tweet is accurate but one thing is for sure I wouldn't go near anything called 'newspunch' for news.

That article is brilliant really. One of its sources is the daily mail..

The vehicle clearly says "Gendarmerie". Where is the EU flag though?

EDIT: Ah I see it beside the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think we can rule out the tweet talking about the EU army on the streets of Paris...

I was being generous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To believe that the EU has been building an army in secret and is now rolling their tanks through France and Germany is next-level conspiracy rubbish.

The reason this one vehicle has a flag is apparently because it was previously deployed in Kosovo as part of a unified EU group. They're probably not all that bothered about repainting an armoured vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Vehicles under the EU Flag on the streets to quell protesters in Paris.

https://newspunch.com/eu-army-deployed-paris-crush-french-revolution/

No French flag to see

You're a bit late with that, Gemma O'Doherty was already ranting about the secret EU army on the streets last week.

It's amazing how you can have such a big army in Europe and keep it so secret, where do husband/wives/boyfriends/girlfriends/family think their other half are going when they leave the house to go severe with this secret army?

seamus wrote: »
    To believe that the EU has been building an army in secret and is now rolling their tanks through France and Germany is next-level conspiracy rubbish.

The reason this one vehicle has a flag is apparently because it was previously deployed in Kosovo as part of a unified EU group. They're probably not all that bothered about repainting an armoured vehicle.

Well it's 'news' now and those willing such lies to be true will believe it and dismiss reality in response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Are the people frightened enough yet to undo the chaos in a second referendum?

I think there is a little bit to go but I highly suspect by next Winter little Englanders won't be sneering at the Dutch, French or Irish anymore for being made to vote again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,124 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No French flag to see

Should take a look at the main page of that particular website. https://newspunch.com/ They might just be on to something. Here is a selection of some of their headlines:
    Newspunch wrote:
    Rand Paul: Only Person Who Colluded With Russia Was Hillary Clinton

Congress: Clinton Foundation Should Have Been Registered As Foreign Agent

Elizabeth Warren Admits She’s a White Woman

Democrat Senator Lieu: I Would LOVE To Abolish Free Speech

British Royal Family Implicated In New Pedophile Lawsuit

Hillary Clinton Refuses To Deny Putin’s Claim She Took $400 Million From Russia

Boy Scouts File For Bankruptcy After Adopting Far-Left Ideology

New EU President: Merging Europe & Africa Part Of ‘New World Order’ Plan

Humans Can Detect Events 1-10 Seconds Before They Occur, Scientists Say

NASA: Intelligent Aliens Are On Earth, Hiding In Plain Sight

Seems like my kind of publication!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Should take a look at the main page of that particular website. https://newspunch.com/ They might just be on to something. Here is a selection of some of their headlines:

Seems like my kind of publication!! :pac:

There are more sites mentioning about the EU flags and surely if it's true thats unusual-I've never seen EU riot control vans and if anyone says it's normal that's surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Are the people frightened enough yet to undo the chaos in a second referendum?

I think there is a little bit to go but I highly suspect by next Winter little Englanders won't be sneering at the Dutch, French or Irish anymore for being made to vote again.

Totally anecdotal of course, but was talking with family in UK earlier and they said that, if the vote had been a few weeks ago, they reckon remain would walk it. However, the British press have been milking this latest spat between May and the EU folks and really pushing the “EU is the big bad wolf” element (more than usual anyways)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Enzokk

murphaph wrote: »
    Loads and loads of turkeys voted for Xmas. Funny you should mention RR. I did my German language proficiency test alongside 3 Brits (who really need citizenship security) all working for RR in Dalewitz near Berlin. They reckoned vast numbers of their Derby colleagues voted to leave. They couldn't fathom it any more than we can.

Those selling the lie had it working on the workers directly working for companies that rely on the EU single market or even companies that are EU multinationals. Flintshire voted to leave 56.4% to leave and Airbus UK is located in that locality. It really staggers the belief sometimes.

No French flag to see

That's not all, there is proof of the EU army all over the interweb. Just look at these photo's for evidence,

a62711b5b15528f1d406d320bbc8fb44.jpg

xin_07120102235928655626.jpg

Or, vehicles that were used by forces under a EU peacekeeping mission in Bosnia were transferred for use to the police in France. They have not taken the stickers off it for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

briany wrote: »
    The BBC news has reported that while Britons  will not have to apply for visas to visit EU countries, they will have to apply for a €7 ETIAS document which allows for infinite entries and exits within a 3-year period for short stays.

Story here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46564884

So, boozy flights to Malaga just got 7 euros dearer for each British passport holder?
    with questions been asked if they have a criminal record etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

No French flag to see

What's this got to do with Brexit? Post it over here -> Paris protest disruption

In any case, you are spreading fake news. How many Garda cars fly the Irish flag? Those vehicles (and the personel depicted in the tweet/photo) are in Gendarmerie Blue, not EU blue, and they have French registration plates. Try a bit of fact checking before posting rubbish like that in future. :P

Check out @CuAnnan’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/CuAnnan/status/1072953567387009029?s=09

Not sure which tweet is accurate ...

Yours! ;) Those armoured cars were deployed in Kosovo as part of the EU's peacekeeping operation and had the EU flag affixed at that time. When they came back, they were put into storage and haven't been used until now, and the Gendarmerie have better things to be doing with their time than scraping off such inoffensive symbols. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What a load of EU army nonsense, we have a conspiracy theory forum, I suggest all those posting this crap go there and have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Cabinet reportedly split between
    Norway plus, referendum and no deal.
    the norwegians have ruled out the norwegian part  already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

What's this got to do with Brexit? Post it over here -> Paris protest disruption

In any case, you are spreading fake news. How many Garda cars fly the Irish flag? Those vehicles (and the personel depicted in the tweet/photo) are in Gendarmerie Blue, not EU blue, and they have French registration plates. Try a bit of fact checking before posting rubbish like that in future. :P

Yours! ;) Those armoured cars were deployed in Kosovo as part of the EU's peacekeeping operation and had the EU flag affixed at that time. When they came back, they were put into storage and haven't been used until now, and the Gendarmerie have better things to be doing with their time than scraping off such inoffensive symbols. :P

Nothing to worry about then..armoured military vehicles on the streets of Paris and tens of thousands of protesters-would that be the case if it was happening in London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭brickster69

Been in Spain for a couple of months and also the Gendarmarie have EU flags. Maybe they were all from Kosovo also.

http://www.eurogendfor.org/organisation/what-is-eurogendfor

" EUROGENDFOR can be considered as an integrated police tool designed to carry out police missions in different theatres, including destabilized ones "

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Been in Spain for a couple of months and also the Gendarmarie have EU flags. Maybe they were all from Kosovo also.

http://www.eurogendfor.org/organisation/what-is-eurogendfor

" EUROGENDFOR can be considered as an integrated police tool designed to carry out police missions in different theatres, including destabilized ones "

The Gendarmarie in Spain?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about then..armoured military vehicles on the streets of Paris and tens of thousands of protesters-would that be the case if it was happening in London?
    What would happen in London ?

Three unusable water cannon bought by Boris Johnson when he was mayor of London have been sold for scrap, . The fee recoups 3.4% of the £322,834.71 spent on the vehicles since 2014.

How many times have MP's spoken out about things like water canon being used by foreign regimes while they were being used in Belfast ? Because there's no deviation on rules :rolleyes:

The Gendarmarie in Spain?

Yes, they have 2 police forces. Gendarma and Guardia Civil

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

RobMc59 wrote: »

France has more of a tradition of violent street demonstrations than the UK : you wouldn't be comparing like with like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Inquitus wrote: »
    What a load of EU army nonsense, we have a conspiracy theory forum, I suggest all those posting this crap go there and have fun.

It's complete garbage. No army from an EU state can go into battle with EU flags on their vehicles or uniforms : the photos further up the thread are of peacekeeping forces.

Eurogendfor can be called on by a member ( 6 of them ) in case of civil disorder.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/eurogendfor?lang=en

https://twitter.com/garuda28/status/1071754316350803969

Yes, they have 2 police forces. Gendarma and Guardia Civil

What are you talking about? The Gendarmarie is a French word for a French police force. There's no Spanish Gendarma. And the Spanish have more than two police forces. Are you sure you weren't actually in France?

Eurogendfor can be called on by a member ( 6 of them ) in case of civil disorder.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/eurogendfor?lang=en

https://twitter.com/garuda28/status/1071754316350803969

What exactly is your point?

It's a multi state cooperative police force.

EU army?

Have a word with yourself will you

The UK will be limiting EU migrants to the UK to those that only earn more than £30k per annum. What will the NHS do for nurses? What about carers? I cannot understand the direction May is taking, she is all over the place but her actions surely only ever screams no-deal and an insular UK that will only be in trouble in the future.

EU migrants will have to earn £30,000 before coming to Britain under crackdown
    EU migrants will have to earn at least £30,000 before they are allowed to come to Britain after Brexit under a crackdown due to be announced next week, The Telegraph understands.

Under the plans, which have prompted a Cabinet row, skilled migrants will be required to have a job offer and hit the minimum salary threshold before they are allowed to come to the UK on five-year-long visas.

Low-skilled migrants will be able to come to the UK on one-year visas on a "temporary" basis as long as they have jobs. Once their visas expire they will be required to leave the country and unable to apply to return until a "cooling off" period of a year has passed.

Government sources said there have been "significant" rows over the plans, with Philip Hammond, the Chancellor, and Greg Clark, the Business Secretary, among ministers who have raised concerns.

However, Downing Street sources said the Prime Minister is determined to push ahead with the policy before Parliament rises next week in a bid to shore up her authority after 117 Tory MPs voted for her to go.

Enzokk wrote: »
    The UK will be limiting EU migrants to the UK to those that only earn more than £30k per annum. What will the NHS do for nurses? What about carers? I cannot understand the direction May is taking, she is all over the place but her actions surely only ever screams no-deal and an insular UK that will only be in trouble in the future.

EU migrants will have to earn £30,000 before coming to Britain under crackdown

Between stuff like that and the inhuman windrush carry on, one would be forgiven for thinking that ultimately an intense dislike of the foreigner is her driving force and not some misplaced sense of duty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Between stuff like that and the inhuman windrush carry on, one would be forgiven for thinking that ultimately an intense dislike of the foreigner is her driving force and not some misplaced sense of duty...

And sick people in Britain. Remember the dementia tax. And now this.

The target of less than 100 000 immigration to the UK is her target and she will do what she can to attain it, it seems even if that means wrecking the country so nobody would want to go there. I am sure I am imagining it now but I suddenly get the feeling she gets more animated when she proclaims free movement will end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,444 ✭✭✭✭road_high

EDit wrote: »
    Totally anecdotal of course, but was talking with family in UK earlier and they said that, if the vote had been a few weeks ago, they reckon remain would walk it. However, the British press have been milking this latest spat between May and the EU folks and really pushing the “EU is the big bad wolf” element (more than usual anyways)

They’ve always thought this so I think they’re best off out as they can’t seem to move on as a nation from WW2 etc.
    May knew that “the sticking it to the EU” charade the other day would play well at home- nebulant is Juncker being polite- obstinate, deluded idiots is more appropriate.
    It’ll be some craic watching these idiots attempt complex trade deals around the shark invested waters of world trade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,444 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Enzokk wrote: »
    The target of less than 100 000 immigration to the UK is her target and she will do what she can to attain it, it seems even if that means wrecking the country so nobody would want to go there. I am sure I am imagining it now but I suddenly get the feeling she gets more animated when she proclaims free movement will end.

It’s the only “upside” of Brexit and a card that goes down well to the gallery. Hence why she continually plays it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement