Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

But the latest figures don't give you much scope for gloating (Financial Times):

Being tied to the EU certainly doesn't guarantee financial success.

Don't accuse me of gloating.
    As someone born in England and who still regards it with affection, it just appalls me that it's come to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Don't post quips please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not according to the WTO.

But what do they know?

Strictly speaking, if the UK have no problem importing kettles that explode, fridges that leak chemicals, rancid meat, pesticide-covered vegetables, and other such product, then yes, they don't have to impose border controls or a hard border.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Headshot wrote: »
    What time is the vote tomorrow?
    Late, there's a load of amendments to get through ranging from the absurd to the ridiculous depending on your viewpoint because all sides are trying to undermine May's position.

Backstop, divorce bill, rejecting NoDeal , public vote, take your pick.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46507010
    The amendments vary in their potential impact on the proposed deal. Some seek to make relatively small tweaks, others to scupper Mrs May's plan entirely.

Amendments are suggested by MPs and the most important ones, in the eyes of the Commons Speaker, John Bercow, are selected for voting on by all MPs. The votes will be just before the overall "meaningful" vote on the prime minister's deal.

Labour MP Hilary Benn's amendment

Declines approval of the deal and "rejects" no deal
    This amendment, from the chairman of the Commons Brexit committee has cross-party support, mainly from MPs campaigning for another EU referendum. Signatories include Conservative MPs Sarah Wollaston and Dominic Grieve, Sir Vince Cable, several SNP MPs and Labour's Yvette Cooper, Rachel Reeves and Meg Hillier
    The broad support for this amendment means it is likely to be called by the Speaker

It's still a long drawn out car crash, and if even May's Deal gets through all the WA does is give time to discuss the trade deal. It's not endgame, it's just advancing to the next level, but you loose all the save points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Out of interest, and I don't know the answer to this at all, what is the situation with Ireland and the Isle of Man with regard to passports and tariffs.

It and the Channel Islands are covered by the CTA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Wow! What a headline in the Irish Times:

No-deal Brexit would make a united Ireland more likely – May
    'British prime minister asks MPs to take a second look at her Brexit deal'

May precipitating the break up of the EU now in the 11th hour. She really is cretinous, but music to the ears of republicans.

She also saying Scotland leaving 'our precious union' is more likely... she is a appealing to the unionist crowd (not just NI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

I presume it and the Channel Islands are covered by the CTA.

Yes, travel to Fraggle Rock as well as Jersey and Gibraltar would qualify as CTA for Irish travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

May semms to be saying any ould s***e that might sway any voters depending which group she appealing to at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

lawred2 wrote: »
    Curbing uncontrolled EU migration from the Eastern blocs was one of the core tenets of the brexit campaign...

How is that achievable with an open land border between the EU and the UK?
    I think a lot of it will be reduced due to the removal of the automatic right to work for new EU citizens entering the UK. There will probably be a fairly liberal approach anyway to non-working visitors from the EU, but requirements placed on those seeking to work there (except from Ireland) so a porous border with the Republic is not as big an issue as one might imagine. Easier to take a job in, say, Germany than be an illegal worker in the UK. The bigger complaint is that low wage employers can no longer find the staff they wanted from Eastern Europe.

This is good for Ireland as we don't want a hard border either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Out of interest, and I don't know the answer to this at all, what is the situation with Ireland and the Isle of Man with regard to passports and tariffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_relations_of_the_Isle_of_Man#European_Union

Effectively, the Isle of Man is a vassal state of the EU, through the UK. The UK could opt for the same status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The IoM is an associate member of the EU by virtue of the UK's membership. That will end post brexit. The CTA applies as far as I know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Isle of Man is outside the EU but inside the CTA so travel isn't an issue.

But like Gibraltar and the Channel islands any rights inherited from the EU-UK relationship would be lost when the UK looses them.

However, the Isle of Man has EU Data Adequacy, something that's not certain for the UK if there's a Hard Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Did anyone see C4 news tonight? There was an interview with some EU delegate and after repeatedly asking her why the EU wouldn't simply give the UK what it wanted, the interviewer asked about an extension to Art 50.

Her reaction was priceless. She visibly threw her eyes to heaven and it was obvious just exasperated she was with even being asked. Before she went on to state that an extension was pointless as the UK are too busy fighting amongst themselves to agree to anything.

If she represents the thinking in the EU, then the UK have run out of road

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Did anyone see C4 news tonight? There was an interview with some EU delegate and after repeatedly asking her why the EU wouldn't simply give the UK what it wanted, the interviewer asked about an extension to Art 50.

Her reaction was priceless. She visibly threw her eyes to heaven and it was obvious just exasperated she was with even being asked. Before she went on to state that an extension was pointless as the UK are too busy fighting amongst themselves to agree to anything.

Wasn't Sabine Weyand by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Id say there is no doubt they have run out of road. We here have been continuously amazed and bemused for 2.5 years. The EU is a serious orgainisation which is trying to maintain the union and cooperation of 27 states in a dog eat dog world. The letters were the last ask that will be given, the UK need to decide now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd say she's on BBC 2 Newnight as well now, not taking any bull**** and calling it straight, totally exasperated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,474 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Too afraid to leave. A parliament paralysed. A PM begging for scraps from the EU and begging her own party to support her.
    A once mighty nation reduced to this. And tomorrow it gets worse.

Berserker wrote: »
    Show me where the UK has said that they want a hard border on the island? Your Irish republican bias is trying to generate a situation that simply doesn't exist.

Show me where the UK has done anything to ensure there is no hard border
    - like accepting continued membership of the customs union
    - like plausible eborder technology
    - like accepting some goods checks in the ports in NI and/or GB
    - like not "giving" a "veto" to the DUP
    - like clamping down on UK importers sending fake Chinese goods to the EU

So far it's just lip service and shameless attempts to wiggle out of promises. And this will be thrown back in the UK's face when trying to do trade deals so it will cost an absolute bloody fortune in the long run. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,570 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So shall we have a competition?

let's see who get's to the nearest number for defeat of May's bill.

I will say May will lose the vote on her Brexit deal by 216 votes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Wasn't Sabine Weyand by any chance?

No, it was Sophie in ‘t Veld

(Go to 27:40):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Lose by 120 votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes that's it. 31.25 in. I burst out laughing watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The May deal is actually a wonderful deal when you consider that the whole of the UK get big concessions with the backstop, never mind the huge benefit to NI.

Those politicians are too pig headed to see that. Not sure the pluses have been well enough elucidated by May, though she made a token effort today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No, it was Sophie in ‘t Veld

(Go to 27:40):

Surprised Channel 4 newscaster went with that line of questioning

Paraphrasing 'The EU has hung May out to dry.... Here is the agreement that has been negotiated by the EU and UK for over 2 years, why can't you just remove the backstop to satisfy Tory Brexiteers'

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yes that's it. 31.25 in. I burst out laughing watching it.

She was getting fairly exasperated alright but was more than able to handle his accusatory line of questioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Paraphrasing 'The EU has hung May out to dry.... Here is the agreement that has been negotiated by the EU and UK for over 2 years, why can't you just remove the backstop to satisfy Tory Brexiteers'

FFS

Have to say I was a little taken aback by that line... Seems like C4 (Jon Snow aside) has been drinking the Brexit kool-aid of late..

Abandon all hope really

from Slugger
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/01/07/parliamentary-arithmetic-moving-against-a-no-deal-brexit/

Westminster-Blocs-2-630x478.png

Breakdown
    https://sluggerotoole.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Westminster-Factions-2.png

The big question is how many MP's will try to get No-Deal blocked.
    I think that may get close to or even more votes than May's Deal.

Today's resignation
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46856149
    Assistant whip Gareth Johnson has become the latest member of the government to quit his job over the deal, saying in his resignation letter to the PM that it would be "detrimental to our nation's interests".

He added: "The time has come to place my loyalty to my country above my loyalty to the government."

FFS
    What's even more frustrating is listening to a Dutch MEP with a far better grasp on the situation than just about anyone in the British establishment. It is completely nuts. Pick any of them and you'd have the intellectual equivalent in comparison of Baldric with the pencils up his nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

These are the numbers Faisal Islam has at the moment.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1084951860233101312?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

SNIP. No more silly comments please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement