Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Anyone catch the James O'Brien / Rees - Mogg interview earlier?

https://bit.ly/2HfUGr6

Sorry - EnzoKK got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Latest trade stats, confirming the lessening of our dependence on GB markets:

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gei/goodsexportsandimportsnovember2018/
    If I read that right Belgium gets more of our exports than the UK? Is that goods getting passed on? I wouldn't have thought they would be even the top Non UK EU country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Only if the DUP continue to be on side and that no Torys vote against their own government. I'm not sure either of those things are guaranteed at the moment.

I hope that the ERG loons don't figure out that one of their last hopes to secure a hard brexit is to vote no confidence in the government

Here's the logic

If the no confidence motion fails, Corbyn is forced to call for a 2nd referendum which the ERG et al know they will lose

If the no confidence motion passes, Corbyn will push for a general election in which both labour and the Tories will campaign on 'delivering brexit' much to the frustration of the EU who could wake up 8 weeks from now to another hung parliament or another prime minister who is still convinced they can 'renegotiate a better deal' from the EU.
    All of this eating into the time and patience of the EU 27 who can only allow this limbo to last for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

joe40 wrote: »
    I know there is a lot of talk about a second referendum and I agree it seems the only sensible option at this stage but where would it come from.
    I can't see the tory government giving another referendum while still in power.

A no confidence vote by corbyn would probably be defeated so no new election. Even with a GE and Labour govt would Corbyn call another referendum?

I don't know, plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum so what would be the mechanics of achieving another referendum. How would it come about. I'll admit I'm at a loss to see how it could happen.

Is it conceivable that May would call for another vote after all she has said about respecting the will of the people.

Parliament could vote to take control of the Brexit process.

Nick Boles Bill gives May 21 days to come up with an agreement that can pass. The responsibility then goes to the Liaison committee to come up with an alternative (Norway+). This is put to Parliament. If it is rejected the committee ask the Prime Minister to ask the EU to extend A50.

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/grantham-mp-nick-boles-in-a-very-british-coup-as-rebels-try-to-take-control-of-brexit-9059055/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Christy42 wrote: »
    If I read that right Belgium gets more of our exports than the UK? Is that goods getting passed on? I wouldn't have thought they would be even the top Non UK EU country.

You have to remember that EU trade stats get completely distorted as various countries are points-of-entry to the EU, and that included the UK which was a major logistics hub for air freight and so on.

Belgium's stats would probably reflect Irish trade into central Europe being booked at Antwerp & Zeebrugge.

It's very hard to untangle the stats on those as there's no border to cross / paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Anyone catch the James O'Brien / Rees - Mogg interview earlier?

https://bit.ly/2HfUGr6

Yes, but I don’t think JOB had the crushing defeat I would have expected, JRM did have an answer for a lot of it, even if the idea of importing beef from Australia instead of France or Ireland is utterly stupid.

I got the impression that it was an impromptu interview and JOB wasn’t fully prepared for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Christy42 wrote: »
    This is a bit out of date, but we are exporting massive amounts of medical / pharmaceutical / chemical products to Belgium.

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/exports/belgium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shelga wrote: »
    Yes, but I don’t think JOB had the crushing defeat I would have expected, JRM did have an answer for a lot of it, even if the idea of importing beef from Australia instead of France or Ireland is utterly stupid.

I got the impression that it was an impromptu interview and JOB wasn’t fully prepared for it.

I think it was more that they only had a limited amount of time and O'Brien just went after the biggest lie JRM keeps peddling. Then their back and forth on it took up so much of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This is a bit out of date, but we are exporting massive amounts of medical / pharmaceutical / chemical products to Belgium.

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/exports/belgium

Either Belgian people are remarkably prone to illness or Belgium is simply a gateway to the rest of Europe.

demfad wrote: »
    Parliament could vote to take control of the Brexit process.

Nick Boles Bill gives May 21 days to come up with an agreement that can pass. The responsibility then goes to the Liaison committee to come up with an alternative (Norway+). This is put to Parliament. If it is rejected the committee ask the Prime Minister to ask the EU to extend A50.

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/grantham-mp-nick-boles-in-a-very-british-coup-as-rebels-try-to-take-control-of-brexit-9059055/
    Link's not opening for me for some reason - but wasn't the 21-day time reduced to 3 days last week, or is this bill suggesting that it be increased again to 21 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

EdgeCase wrote: »
    You have to remember that EU trade stats get completely distorted as various countries are points-of-entry to the EU, and that included the UK which was a major logistics hub for air freight and so on.

Belgium's stats would probably reflect Irish trade into central Europe being booked at Antwerp & Zeebrugge.

It's very hard to untangle the stats on those as there's no border to cross / paperwork.
    Afaik, those stats come from forms filled out by businesses on a monthly basis. So they should accurately reflect the final destinations of goods, not the transit point through which they are exported. Otherwise, everything would be exported to Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

Either Belgian people are remarkably prone to illness or Belgium is simply a gateway to the rest of Europe.

AFAIK this relates to active pharmaceuticals being sent there from manufacturing sites for tabletting and distribution.

I believe Antwerp is the largest drug-redistribution hub in the world. I think there is some patent implications there, but I'm not 100% on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

their web guy took some liberties there

The latter, same as we were once the largest producer/exporter of software in the world because of how Microsoft Ireland was used for localization etc.

Someone kill that guy with the bell already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

- So what do we do if plan A doesn't work?
    - Scribble out 'A' and write in 'B'.
    - Genius, let's do it.
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1085198072131444736

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Shelga wrote: »

I also don't think he crushed him, but he did make him look very silly. When I listened to it a second time it occurred to me that whatever JRM was saying was just fantasy slogans that didn't mean anything. JRM lost the argument when he refused to confirm something that is very easy to find and confirm online. After that he was just trying to deflect from the question.

Hurrache wrote: »
    - Genius, let's do it.
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1085198072131444736
    That's why 2nd referendum or GE are the only viable options. There's no other deal on the table, so what's the point in going off to ponce around Brussels for a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Hurrache wrote: »
    - Genius, let's do it.

You would hope that Bercow would not allow this to happen as it would just be wasting time. How would anyone change their minds in 3 days time? The Grieve amendment is really good in that May cannot delay until 3 weeks later and have the pressure of no-deal force MPs to vote for her deal out of fear. That doesn't change it into a good deal, just makes it the less worse option that they can take, and surely taking the least worse option is not something MPs should be considering.

The best deal out there is still staying as part of the EU and having their rebates and opt-outs they currently have. If you have a deal where you have no say in the regulations or rules you have to follow, as May's deal, it is worse than they currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Grieve speaking in Parliament just now. As an aside, he mentions that he continues to receive death threats as a result of his Brexit stance. Well done the British Press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Afaik, those stats come from forms filled out by businesses on a monthly basis. So they should accurately reflect the final destinations of goods, not the transit point through which they are exported. Otherwise, everything would be exported to Holyhead.

A lot of it would be sales of pharma products to distribution subsidiaries and companies and so on.

It's unlikely to be simple goods all going to belgium.

joe40 wrote: »
    I know there is a lot of talk about a second referendum and I agree it seems the only sensible option at this stage but where would it come from.
    I can't see the tory government giving another referendum while still in power.

A no confidence vote by corbyn would probably be defeated so no new election. Even with a GE and Labour govt would Corbyn call another referendum?

I don't know, plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum so what would be the mechanics of achieving another referendum. How would it come about. I'll admit I'm at a loss to see how it could happen.

Is it conceivable that May would call for another vote after all she has said about respecting the will of the people.

Thinking about this a good bit and the three option referendum just wouldn't work. I think the only viable option for Teresa May would be to have two referenda on the ballot:

Question 1:
    Yes / No on May's deal

Question 2:
    If "no" to May's deal, Yes / No to remain in the EU

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thinking about this a good bit and the three option referendum just wouldn't work. I think the only viable option for Teresa May would be to have two referenda on the ballot:

Question 1:
    Yes / No on May's deal

Question 2:
    If "no" to May's deal, Yes / No to remain in the EU

That would be too confusing for people as they would ignore question 2 depending on their answer to question 1 and then claim that their opinion was not heard.

Doesn't need to be two separate questions though if the options were Mays deal or remain.

robinph wrote: »
    That would be too confusing for people as they would ignore question 2 depending on their answer to question 1 and then claim that their opinion was not heard.

Doesn't need to be two separate questions though if the options were Mays deal or remain.
    If no deal is genuinely not an option. Do you think it's likely May would get that through Parliament?

If no deal is genuinely not an option. Do you think it's likely May would get that through Parliament?

The parliament has already shown that they would vote to exclude a no deal, but I don't think there is a majority that May's deal is the only viable deal. There are still plenty of MPs who think they can get a Norway/Canada/EEA style deal despite the fact that there isn't any time to negotiate any such deal and

I think the EU will need to step in and insist that it's a vote between the agreed withdrawal agreement and remaining as a condition of an extension to Article 50 to facilitate a vote.

Anything else is just a waste of everyone's time. The UK public can blame Theresa May for her 'red lines' and strategy of wasting everyone's time for so long for the fact that brexit wasn't delivered.

MPs speaking now don't know the difference between the withdrawal agreement and the 'deal' which hasn't even been started yet.

This 'deal' is just the WA, the divorce agreement. The future relationship is going to be negotiated afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

EdgeCase wrote: »
    A lot of it would be sales of pharma products to distribution subsidiaries and companies and so on.

It's unlikely to be simple goods all going to belgium.
    Yes. But for the Irish exporter, that's the final destination of their product. What happens downstream is their customer's business which is separately analysed. Beef packers don't care that their customer turns their product into a M&S ready meal and the CSO can't quantify that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Akrasia wrote: »
    MPs speaking now don't know the difference between the withdrawal agreement and the 'deal' which hasn't even been started yet.

This 'deal' is just the WA, the divorce agreement. The future relationship is going to be negotiated afterwards.

It's unbelievable isn't it, but unsurprising given the level of debate on the over the years.

Andrea Leadsom said this today
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1085199452640559104

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement