Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Someone needs to take a lump hammer to that bloody bell or drum that has been playing in the background on the TV coverage from outside Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is somewhat telling that the MEP from Belgium has a better grasp on what the restrictions are on the deal they can get than politicians from the UK. They have to choose, GFA or clean Brexit. Seeing as almost no-one has said they want to rip up the GFA from the UK side then their options are limited on what they can get. It really is that simple and even another 5 years of negotiations will not change that.

I do wonder if there is a no-deal Brexit, will there be a deal that protects the GFA? Do we see a situation where the UK rips up the GFA or will they adhere to the treaty they have and be content with an Irish sea border? What could the DUP realistically do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hurrache wrote: »
    The Austrian chancellor looking somewhat bemused when asked if negotiations will resume after May's defeat. Interviewers seem to be really hoping, or expecting, someone in the EU will say ok, we'll drop the backstop.

https://twitter.com/Stone_SkyNews/status/1085170722316660737

He tried to go down the same road with this Green MEP
    https://twitter.com/Stone_SkyNews/status/1085188528512716807

A Belgian MEP statingthst the GFA IS PARAMOUNT in all if this. Who knew.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just listening to Jeremy Corbyn's speech and I have to say the man is completely deluded.

He is showing his true colours as a Brexiteer, he is almost doing the work of some of the brexiteers for them.

He will go down in history as an enabler who watched idly by when he could and should have done something.

Jeremy Corbyn wants power and he will sacrifice anything for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A Belgian MEP statingthst the GFA IS PARAMOUNT in all if this. Who knew.

Well we had Sophie d'in t Veld from Netherlands last night on C4 making mince meat out of the British Government, and now Belgium. Two countries who will absolutely be very much affected by a hard Brexit.

Best for Leo and Coveney to stay quietish, as they are doing, and let the British hoist themselves by their own petard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think his speech is quite good. Has emphasised the need to ensure No Crash Out Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Jeremy Corbyn speaking now in the Commons

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Hence the "ish" ;)

Voting to begin around 7, but as already pointed out, 1-4 amendments first.
    Looking at independent they expect the vote to be at 9pm (+/- a few minutes) assuming 6 to 8 of the 14 amendments are voted on, results announced around 9:15 with May directly commenting and Labour to put down the vote of no confidence at 9:30.

Water John wrote: »
    I think his speech is quite good. Has emphasised the need to ensure No Crash Out Brexit.

I think that he is completely deluded, he only cares about getting power and that is it. It is terrible for a Labour leader to essentially be happy to sell his fellow MPs down the river and the public to make sure that he wants to get that power.

He is an enabler and history will judge him as so when they are on the dole and can't get new work and the country falls into a massive recession, since he had the power to do something and he opted for his selfish interests over that.

He makes me ashamed to have ever voted Labour.

Any speech from either May or Corbyn is flawed unless they back remaining as anything else will be worse for the country. How either can stand there claiming they are doing what is best for the country is baffling.

May claims a general election is not what is best for the country but going through with a policy that will make them worse off is. Baffling to say the least.

• Advertisement

What do you think TM has done but critically put the interests of the Tory party and trying to patch its ends together, rather than the country's interest.
    She could easily have put forward the soft Brexit and it would have passed easily with the votes of many Lb Mps. But she knew that would frcture her own party with hard Brexiteers voting against it and possibly leaving the Tory party. We know the choice she made.
    Let Corbyn get his vote of confidence out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Best thing would be to ask for a 12 month extension on leaving, have a final binding referendum on all the 3 options, deal no deal or remain.or else bring in Donald Trump to sort it out, art of deal and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Did Dodds just demand that peace in Northern Ireland have no bearing on the debate or decisions being made throughout Brexit?

No Deal has to be ruled out by MPs on both sides. It is criminally irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Did Dodds just demand that peace in Northern Ireland have no bearing on the debate or decisions being made throughout Brexit?

I think his point was that the issue should not be used disingenuously by MPs to backup their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

tuxy wrote: »
    I think his point was that the issue should not be used disingenuously by MPs to backup their position.

Disingenuous or not its a very real part of the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Full O'Brien - Rees-Mogg interview here. I think the previous link was a 6 minute cut from it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lawred2 wrote: »
    uuurgggh

July means 6 more months of this tiresome nonsense
    Oh you poor deluded fool.

Unless the UK calls off Brexit there'll be years of trade deals with the EU and the border/backstop/customs and immigration and all the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Water John wrote: »
    No Deal has to be ruled out by MPs on both sides. It is criminally irresponsible.
    Well yeah. They will use this vote to claim that they tried to stop it.

Meaningless muck. Entire Parliament sat on the fence at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,466 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They have no problem playing the only victims when it suits them. I wouldn't mind him, the DUP's days in the sun are coming to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

They have no problem playing the only victims when it suits them. I wouldn't mind him, the DUP's days in the sun are coming to an end.

Over there aye, we'll still have to suffer here. He knows rightly the peace is a valid consideration.

EDIT: Meaningful vote result expected in around half an hour after Lab and SNP drop amendments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What was the point of the amendments if they were going to be withdrawn?

Three of the amendments have been pulled and they are voting on only one amendment now, amendment F.

That seems to be this one, I think:

Conservative MP John Baron's amendment

Gives the UK the right to terminate the Northern Ireland backstop without the agreement of the EU
    Amendment backed by cross-party group of Brexiteers, including 12 Conservatives, one independent and one DUP MP.

Adam Bolton is right. TM was elected with one job, to get the UK through Brexit whilst keeping Parliament united. Totally failed, because she did not reach across the broad middleground in the HoC.
    Withdrawal of amendments is to her defeat being the only talking point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Enzokk wrote: »
    Three of the amendments have been pulled and they are voting on only one amendment now, amendment F.

Gives the UK the right to terminate the Northern Ireland backstop without the agreement of the EU
    Amendment backed by cross-party group of Brexiteers, including 12 Conservatives, one independent and one DUP MP.

Are you saying it could be amended then voted through parliament only for the EU to not recognise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stetsonfrank

I'm lost. I don't understand what's happening in hoc at the moment, will they be voting on WA or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Are you saying it could be amended then voted through parliament only for the EU to not recognise it?
    Yes. It's a complete farce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm lost. I don't understand what's happening in hoc at the moment, will they be voting on WA or not?
    Some of the amendments would break the WA. Which would make the final vote moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yes - result of Baron amendment vote will be known in a few minutes, they then proceed straight to the WA vote, which will give a result within 15 minutes of entering the lobbies.

• Advertisement

Enzokk wrote: »

That's laughable that they seem to think that you can change a withdrawal agreement without the permission of the other party and still call it an agreement. Do they not know what the word agreement means?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement