Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

For those of us who want a second referendum which will result in no Brexit, this is good news isn't it?

Hard to say

I don't think a second referendum will ever happen with May as PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Enzokk wrote: »
    We are still in limbo. JRM stated that he will vote for the government tomorrow against the motion of confidence. Which means she most likely wins that vote. But that doesn't solve Brexit as there is no majority for any Brexit other than remaining most likely.

There will not be a majority for her deal.

There will not be a majority for no-deal.

There will not be a majority for a no-confidence.

There will not be a majority for a Labour deal.

There are only two paths that I can see, either a general election or a new referendum. Parliament is not going to pass anything so they will either need to ask the question again or a new election.
    You seem to be leaving out the possibility of withdrawing A50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

118 Tory MPs voted against May's deal. This is very close to the number who voted against May in the recent Tory leadership confidence motion. How can those MP's do other than vote against the government tomorrow to retain any credibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well that was a bit of a kicking

defeat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I suspect they will withdraw article 50 and look to invoke it again.

Cox said today in the HoC again they legally can't withdraw it without assuring the EU they won't invoke it again.

Now how the EU would police that is another story.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So If JC wins the no-confidence motion and gets and wins his general election, how much time will be left for him to renegotiate a new agreement with the EU?
    Will the EU give more time without JC having a coherent plan?

I would suspect that this would be one of the scenarios that would mean a extension of article 50. At least in this election (if there is one) there will be more focus on Brexit and the Labour policy so if they do win then it is a starting point for them to start negotiations. It seems simple though, they want a permanent customs union and close relationship. That screams EEA and the EU will surely be eager to pass this for the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Same old same old from some lad on the BBC right now. Matthew Hancock think his name was.

The EU will fold

That's the gameplan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think now either another ref or else a GE. Second ref more likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kiith wrote: »
    Once again, the UK government show how absolutely incapable they are of getting anything done. Absolute laughing stock.

The EU should tell them to **** right off if they tried that.

Can the EU actually tell them to **** off though?

It won't endear them to the EU or promote friendly negotiating but can it not be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭RoryMac

As expected the DUP have confirmed they'll back May tomorrow so we're back where we were an hour ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Well that was a bit of a kicking

defeat.jpg

She can add record breaking to her list of achievements I guess.

Parliament to debate the no-confidence motion up to 7pm tomorrow evening followed by vote. See you here tomorrow guys.

What is May getting out of this..

Time to tell all those vipers she's surrounded by that it's their problem now

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You seem to be leaving out the possibility of withdrawing A50

Yes, there is that but I don't know how that passes either. The conservatives will not vote for it neither will Corbyn so the rebels on either side would have to force it. Is there enough support in the middle of either party for that?

Some woman on bbc desperately hoping “Merkl and Macron” will offer the UK something more.

Time wasting and Delusional thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RoryMac wrote: »
    Corbyn's problem is he doesn't have an alternative to May's deal, if he wins tomorrow and wins a GE what will his position be?

Labour need to stage an internal coup and get Kier Starmer made leader Corbyn is as hamstrung as May.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RoryMac wrote: »
    As expected the DUP have confirmed they'll back May tomorrow so we're back where we were an hour ago

I'd say we're back at square one, but I'm not even sure what game were playing anymore, what the rules are or even is there any instructions.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

The plan is basically to wait for the EU to save the UK from themselves

Labour need to stage an internal coup and get Kier Starmer made leader Corbyn is as hamstrung as May.

The situation Labour are in shows just how pathetically weak Corbyn is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭secman

Funny watching UK, Great Britain trying to put genie back into the bottle and make Great Britain GREAT again, pure comedy ;)

This is an interesting development for Labour. If they lose the no-confidence motion then at least Corbyn will have to keep quiet about a new election. He will then have to start moving towards a second referendum surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes, there is that but I don't know how that passes either. The conservatives will not vote for it neither will Corbyn so the rebels on either side would have to force it. Is there enough support in the middle of either party for that?
    Many conservatives would vote for it. Labour also. But it requires a degree of testicular fortitude that very few in the HoC have displayed so far.

It's the only sane response to the current stalemate that doesn't extend this debacle for another year or more. And I sense that the EU are really not interested in extending A50. It's eaten up too much time and energy so far and the logjam isn't in their control anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

My view now is that TM's compromise position has satisfied no-one, she now needs to go fully one way or the other.

There is no way that a harder Brexit will be supported by anyone except the hardline Brexiteers so the only way she can get anything through the HoC is getting cross party support (i.e. softer Brexit).

This will result in a split in the Tory party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

lawred2 wrote: »
    Same old same old from some lad on the BBC right now. Matthew Hancock think his name was.

The EU will fold

That's the gameplan
    It's not the EU they believe will fold, it's the Irish government. If there's no second referendum and May comes back and attempts to blackmail this deal through in the last weeks or days, all hell will come down on top of Leo Varadkar - expect the British press to go full colonial oppressor mouthpiece on Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Price of the pound is bouncing back up after dropping pre-vote. Suggests traders think the UK will remain or at the least the timeline will be stretched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

My guess is that this agreement is not the "real" agreement. Behind the scenes I would assume that negotiations have been ongoing since Dec 11th. They always knew that the arithmetic was against them.

So, I think what we will see is some shape shifting over the next week, a likely extension of the deadline, and another vote in a month or so on the real deal.

No question, they will win the confidence vote - the last thing anyone wants is a GE least of all Labour and the DUP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Loss of a no confidence vote enough to kick Corbyn, no?

I hope to Christ it is otherwise we're left with May, her plan, Corbyn, and a replay next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Delighted with the result. Hopefully now the UK can get on with the business of leaving the EU as soon as possible.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have any analysts churned out the no-confidence numbers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think that after tonight we are a good bit closer to a no deal Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is an interesting development for Labour. If they lose the no-confidence motion then at least Corbyn will have to keep quiet about a new election. He will then have to start moving towards a second referendum surely.

We could start to see an off-Broadway event taking place with Corbyn being challenged from within Labour while the Tories continue to disagree with each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement