Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

seamus wrote: »
    Cameron should have taken the referendum to the EU to discuss the best way to address the concerns of the UK electorate without doing something stupid.

Instead he cut the boat from its moorings and jumped ship.
    He should have confronted the eurosceptics in his party instead of pandering to them. Made them come up with a workable plan. We'd still be waiting and he'd still be PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Akrasia wrote: »
    Labour have already given their roadmap as voted on at the Labour conference

1. Call a motion of no confidence to trigger a general election

If 1 fails, support calls for a 2nd referendum.

The only question os whether Corbyn accepts the result of the no confidence vote. He could pull a Theresa May and try to force it to a revote, but i don't think his party will tolerate that.

Corbyn knew he had one shot to call no confidence. If it fails tomorrow, Labours position should be all out for a 2nd Referendum.

The 2nd Referendum will be the next option but that would be a lot easier to sell with a Labour leader that backs it

Germany sells a lot to UK, way more than it buys from them. Actually this is the case for Germany's relationship with most EU countries. They will want keep selling those Beemers and Mercs into UK even if it means some further concessions.

My worry is that Germany will do some negotiations behind closed doors, for a modified agreement that is acceptable to all parties except for one small EU state. They will then lean on Ireland to back down on the only major sticking point. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Murph you're correct. If the Hoc is, as per Hilary Benn, consulted by a series of indicative votes, a soft Brexit may get the highest acceptance with 2nd Ref, a close 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

First response from Irish government:

Direct and truthful once again from Irish position thankfully.

Simon has done very well throughout this process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

murphaph wrote: »
    The only thing parliament will vote for is a softer Brexit with permanent customs Union and if necessary single market membership (BRINO), which the EU would happily entertain. That or revocation of A50 at the last minute. I honestly see either of those two options.

I don't think no deal will be allowed to happen, even though it's the default if it isn't stopped. I think parliament will be able to stop it.

Its almost impossible for the UK parliament to bring in the required legislation to leave on 29th of march even if Mays deal had been approved today, it would have been extremely difficult. The longer they wait, the more impossible it becomes. There is absolutely zero chance of getting any kind of WA approved by the deadline so the UK only have 4 options.
    1. Withdraw A50 unilaterallly
    2. Request A50 extension to allow for 2nd Referendum
    3. Request A50 extension for more time to renegotiate a new deal and\or hold a GE
    4. Crash out of the EU

The ball is in the EUs court here given that 2 of those options require approval by the EU 27, one of them is unilaterally cancelling brexit, and the last is politically unthinkable (apart from the by the fruitcakes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Why is Tommy Gorman allowed to editoralise so much on RTE News when he is reporting.

I personally don't agree with the DUP position but I also dont like tje way Gorman likes to stick the boot in when just reporting.

I've always found him to be far too SF leaning in his reporting on other issues related to NI also.
    Because in no way shape or form does Foster and the rest of her degenerates have any interest in what's best for ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭doc_17

May is toast. It won’t be long now before Tories come out calling for her to resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,569 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Germany sells a lot to UK, way more than it buys from them. Actually this is the case for Germany's relationship with most EU countries. They will want keep selling those Beemers and Mercs into UK even if it means some further concessions.

My worry is that Germany will do some negotiations behind closed doors, for a modified agreement that is acceptable to all parties except for one small EU state. They will then lean on Ireland to back down on the only major sticking point. :(

I heard a German economist on tv recently said that Germany's reliant on UK is only 1% GDP for Germany so it's not really a big deal for them and they'll get that 1% back else where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

If only Sinn Fein had pledged allegiance to the crown and taken their place in the HoC they could have made all the difference today

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    The 2nd Referendum will be the next option but that would be a lot easier to sell with a Labour leader that backs it

The labour party membership strongly favour a 2nd vote. Even a luke warm Corbyn won't be able to dampen down the enthusiasm of a remsin csmpaign in a 2nd referendum.

The first campaign was characterised by a disengaged remain side who took it for granted that they'd win. This time its very different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Because in no way shape of form does Foster and the rest of her degenerates have any interest in what's best for ireland.

But it's not the job of a reporter to editoralise on the above even though it may be true.

As an interviewer ask the hard questions and challenge the interviewe, on a panel show give opinions but as a reporter just report, don't take sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

doc_17 wrote: »
    May is toast. It won’t be long now before Tories come out calling for her to resign.

If they want her gone, actually really want her gone. They just have to vote for the vote of no confidence tomorrow. Otherwise they are goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

How do you think it should have been handled?

Note I consider the entire last 2 years a waste of time

If you are going for them then the obvious choices was to reverse the whole article 50, davis negotiation team debacle. Instead of activating article 50 and then rushing to get a team together to negotiate it, I'd have put a team together to asses what the UK needs, wants and can give up, identify key areas of concern

So when I'd announce activating article 50 I can go straight to the EU with a proposal instead of the whole red line nonsense.

But if you mean just the last few weeks.

Own up to it being a ****show, I think the public would overwhelmingly take that as refreshing on either side.

Corbyn cant touch you cause the DUP are too scared of him and your own party have shot their load already trying to out you.

Own up to the public say Brexit has been a ****show but is still possible, but the government needs time to develop a proper assesment of things, so you will ask to EU to withdraw article 50 and establish a citizens initiative/cross party delegation to assess what the UK needs, wants and doesnt want out of it's future relationship with the EU. That will be presented at a specific date in the future (if I was confident I'd say 3 years just in time for the next general election)

To calm the brexiteers you'll say this is not taking hard brexit of the table, but they need to be realistic and accept that the british economy has shifted to working inside the EU over the last 40 years and if it is agreed that the UK wants a hard brexit they'd need time readjusting their economic priorities to support british industry in such a change.

Brexit will happen, but it needs time and until then it's business as usual.

Privately I'd assure the EU that in terms of commitment both politically and financially they can sign the UK up until the end of the next european election season. That removes the issue of everything being up in the air on the EU side of things which will calm their side down.

Nobody will be thrilled but it stops everyday being a constant sinkhole of panic that the UK is currently suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

zapitastas wrote: »
    If only Sinn Fein had pledged allegiance to the crown and taken their place in the HoC they could have made all the difference today

Ah how exactly?

There are only a hand full of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Akrasia wrote: »
    The labour party membership strongly favour a 2nd vote. Even a luke warm Corbyn won't be able to dampen down the enthusiasm of a remsin csmpaign in a 2nd referendum.

The first campaign was characterised by a disengaged remain side who took it for granted that they'd win. This time its very different

I hope you're right, I see Corbyn fudging it every time he steps in front of a camera and can see him confusing the issues when pressed in any interview or debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Headshot wrote: »
    I heard a German economist on tv recently said that Germany's reliant on UK is only 1% GDP for Germany so it's not really a big deal for them and they'll get that 1% back else where
    Yep. Japan for starters. And the people in the UK who buy Mercs and Beemers will be insulated from the worst of brexit, so will happily keep buying them.

Not before March 29th she's not

She won a motion of confidence before Christmas, she cannot be challenged in this way from within for 11 more months. The tories know the mess that is there and that there is no strong alternative candidates from the following list.

Javid, Hunt, Rudd, Gove, Johnson, Davis, Raab.

At least 3 of those are hated by 75% of the house.

If Labour look like forcing a GE it means the conservatives goose is probably cooked and if so, I think they would want Theresa to take the hit of a defeat in it before going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Donald Tusk is suggesting that the UK cancel Brexit following tonight's defeat.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Note I consider the entire last 2 years a waste of time

If you are going for them then the obvious choices was to reverse the whole article 50, davis negotiation team debacle. Instead of activating article 50 and then rushing to get a team together to negotiate it, I'd have put a team together to asses what the UK needs, wants and can give up, identify key areas of concern

So when I'd announce activating article 50 I can go straight to the EU with a proposal instead of the whole red line nonsense.

But if you mean just the last few weeks.

Own up to it being a ****show, I think the public would overwhelmingly take that as refreshing on either side.

Corbyn cant touch you cause the DUP are too scared of him and your own party have shot their load already trying to out you.

Own up to the public say Brexit has been a ****show but is still possible, but the government needs time to develop a proper assesment of things, so you will ask to EU to withdraw article 50 and establish a citizens initiative/cross party delegation to assess what the UK needs, wants and doesnt want out of it's future relationship with the EU. That will be presented at a specific date in the future (if I was confident I'd say 3 years just in time for the next general election)

To calm the brexiteers you'll say this is not taking hard brexit of the table, but they need to be realistic and accept that the british economy has shifted to working inside the EU over the last 40 years and if it is agreed that the UK wants a hard brexit they'd need time readjusting their economic priorities to support british industry in such a change.

Brexit will happen, but it needs time and until then it's business as usual.

Privately I'd assure the EU that in terms of commitment both politically and financially they can sign the UK up until the end of the next european election season. That removes the issue of everything being up in the air on the EU side of things which will calm their side down.

Nobody will be thrilled but it stops everyday being a constant sinkhole of panic that the UK is currently suffering.

The EU do not want to have this hanging over them for 3 more years. If the UK withdraw A50 it has to be because they have commited to stay. Not just to postpone the date of departure.

They could spend that entire time blocking and undermining EU institutions from within

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Corbyn may be trying a fudge by saying he's going to have regular Votes of confidence. hope not.

They can vote against her tomorrow!!!!

Anyway, the pressure on her is too much. Calamitous failure. She’s finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Because in no way shape or form does Foster and the rest of her degenerates have any interest in what's best for ireland.

While I happen to agree with Tommy, it's not a national broadcasters place to be so partisan.

Set out the facts and let us decide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The whole idea that because Germany sell more to than it buys from the UK means that they are going to cave in on a deal is daft.

Tesco sell me more stuff than they buy from me, that doesn't mean that I'm in a particularly great negotiation position with them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Nope. She will still be PM until March 29th at least

They can vote against her tomorrow!!!!

Boris Johnson, JRM and the DUP have already said that they will be voting in support of her tomorrow.

Corbyn's position will be more at risk than May's this time tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Far from it. Motion of no confidence in the government will fail and her party has no one to replace her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement