Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

No need to be dramatic.

It fell a bit during the day and regained (part of) it in the evening. Wasn't an unusual or outlier large movement by normal standards.

I'm not being dramatic. It's very odd that Sterling reacted to that vote by gaining against EUR and USD.

I guarantee you tomorrow the Express or similar will be using it as a justification for a hard line brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,639 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pa8301 wrote: »
    I'd love to see a The Thick of It based around the current situation. Though I think the current omnishambles is more ridiculous than anything Armando Iannucci could come up with.

Was it that hard to predict?
    Essentially you have a group of politicians who never wanted Brexit negotiating the exit. Their hearts cannot be in it.
    I don't see that changing. The only possible outcome is a second referendum and a realisation that the last two years could have been spent far more productively.
    I suppose it beats the crap outta populations at war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'm not being dramatic. It's very odd that Sterling reacted to that vote by gaining against EUR and USD.

I guarantee you tomorrow the Express or similar will be using it as a justification for a hard line brexit.

I'm no trader or anything, but maybe the fact that the vote was lost means that staying in looks more likely. Or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

prinzeugen wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with that comparison. The USA is more democratic than the EU.

The way they EU is run is more like the Soviet Union or China.

I think the only ones being delusional (seems to be the buzzword here) are those that think there will be a second referendum. Its going to be no deal.

A second referendum is political suicide for the majority of MPs. But I bet Sturgeon will be announcing another Scottish referendum in the next day or so.

Just in case there is another GE or she is forced to resign herself.

Yes, the EU has been sending dissenters to the gulags for years and repressing free speech. Not to mention that the EU is a communist cesspit ruled by a powerful ruthless dictator! Seriously, do you actually believe that drivel that you've written?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think it's mark francious who is fascinated with the backstop on the late debate on RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Headshot wrote: »
    The need to do a house of cards version of UK politics

Actually, you should go and watch 'A very British Coup' with Ray McNally playing the PM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_British_Coup_(miniseries)

Make sure you watch to the very end. Most do not and miss the final twist - listen to the 7 O'Clock news at the end.

Haven't we always.

No gra for leaving from here AFAIS anyway, nor from any other of the 27. There may be a few grunts and some Right Wing activism. But nothing at all like the Brexit debacle.

Better inside the tent. But the UK doesn't get that they are an island nation and will be beholden to Trump and China eventually and will be swallowed up by any country they eventually in ten years or so make a trade deal with.

They are in la la land. Due solely to their own lack of research and planning. They still haven't a clue and seem not to care. Arrogance and hubris knows no bounds.

Their media is toxic too. All of it, on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

zapitastas wrote: »
    If only Sinn Fein had pledged allegiance to the crown and taken their place in the HoC they could have made all the difference today

I know, it's such a disgrace, they must be kicking themselves for not abandoning their mandate to vote alongside the worst conservative government in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Barry Gardiner half confirming Lb will try to keep looking for a GE rather than pivoting to a 2nd Ref if they fail to win tomorrow, that's a mistake. Lb MPs will get stroppy and force the change.
    The leaderships attempt to interpret the vote at Conference in this way is disingenous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Its being talked about on RTÉ radio about the fact that the contingency plans for s no deal from our government were released very late in the process. Why would our government make public the plans for scenario we were all hoping would never happen. If our government put out these plans six months to a year ago, they'd have been accused of being resigned to a no deal situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

almostover wrote: »
    Yes, the EU has been sending dissenters to the gulags for years and repressing free speech. Not to mention that the EU is a communist cesspit ruled by a powerful ruthless dictator! Seriously, do you actually believe that drivel that you've written?

Did I mention communism? No. Did I mention gulags? No.

The point I am making is that the other than voting for a MEP, the population has zero say in who does what. The EU parliament is like a communist congress. They dish out the jobs to the boys.

And you cannot compare the Queen to the EU president. Two completely different roles. President of the USA to the EU president yes. US citizens can vote for the president. When did you last vote for a EU president????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's now being reported that bosses of Amazon, Tesco and other high profile companies have had an emergency late night telephone conference with the Chancellor as they are growing increasingly concerned about the current direction of travel and uncertainty and are now starting to round on the government.

In addition being reported in various sources that anywhere from 75-100 Labour MPs are going to come out and demand a peoples vote as soon as Corbyn's vote fails.

Looks like interesting rest of the week lays ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Tesco doesn't care about your purchase, because they're insignificant in terms of their overall financial performance.
    Right, and a lot of what Germany sells abroad is high-end engineering products which are not available elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Water John wrote: »
    Barry Gardiner half confirming Lb will try to keep looking for a GE rather than pivoting to a 2nd Ref if they fail to win tomorrow, that's a mistake. Lb MPs will get stroppy and force the change.
    The leaderships attempt to interpret the vote at Conference in this way is disingenous.

Labour leadership is showing their colours to the people that boted for Corbyn by ignoring their wishes. Firstly they tried to bypass the wishes of the members at the conference by trying to not to discuss Brexit in any detail. They got away with trying to get a GE first before a Brexit vote and now will repeatedly call for a motion of confidence instead of backing a second referendum.

The perception of him giving power to the Labour membership should be all but smashed if he doesn't start talking about a people's vote soon after losing the no confidence motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think the fact that the defeat was so crushing is good for Ireland.
    There is nothing that the EU can offer to see the deal over the line. Therefore the pressure and focus is now off them.
    If it was a lot closer then the EU would be under big issue to help closer the gap. This gap is unbridgeable.

Which makes the comments of Davis and Sammy all the more bizarre.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Water John wrote: »

Are you really surprised?

As I said previously Corbyn wants power at whatever cost to the country and the people who live in it. He is an enabler of this mess, pure and simple and history is going to be very harsh on the man who sat on his hands and did nothing whilst the lunatics at the asylum in the Tory party drive the car off the edge of the cliff.

He doesn't stand for the Labour party I voted for when I lived in the United Kingdom. That Labour party would have actually provided a proper opposition. The current leadership is a disgrace to the name and history of the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What are the lobbyists doing in parliament these days. I would have expected them to be begging the MPs to get it sorted asap.

A people's vote will just result in a bigger NO I think. The Russkies will rig it again lol.

OK if there are just two choices, WA or Stay in EU, that's not so bad.

A third choice (Hard Brexit) might need PR. OMG the UK don't have much experience of that!

A bit risky but sure what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Given today's events in the HoC, what, in the opinion of those here, should our Government say and do?

Easy, continue to stand firm. We're doing our bit with the help of our EU allies so we've need or reason to try and rock the boat now. Remember, its the UK thats in complete disarray not us or the eu.:cool:

There is so much wrong with that comparison. The USA is more democratic than the EU.

The way they EU is run is more like the Soviet Union or China.

I think the only ones being delusional (seems to be the buzzword here) are those that think there will be a second referendum. Its going to be no deal.

A second referendum is political suicide for the majority of MPs. But I bet Sturgeon will be announcing another Scottish referendum in the next day or so.

Just in case there is another GE or she is forced to resign herself.
    The USA is a 2 party system. I'll grant you that's twice as good as a one party system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Our government ? They should keep doing what they've done and keep the head down. It's an agreement between the UK and the EU not Ireland on its own. I honestly don't know where they(the UK) go from here. I mean yes the people voted to leave the EU but it's also clear the politicians tasked by the people of carrying out those wishes can't agree on how to do it.
    Yes, our government.

The thing is we gave our government, in particular the Taoiseach, praise when May and the EU agreed on a deal. Presumably had the deal passed in the HoC today, this would be further evidence of the (our) Government's effectiveness. We, with our EU colleagues, it would be said, have secured a deal that works for Ireland and Europe, guarantees an open border with the North and frictionless trade with all of the UK. Our (Ireland's) policy has worked.

Now, however, the opposite has happened. The question is, therefore, at what point do we say that our policy or our way of thinking is not working? What constitutes failure on our part?

The point I am making is that the other than voting for a MEP, the population has zero say in who does what. The EU parliament is like a communist congress. They dish out the jobs to the boys.

And you cannot compare the Queen to the EU president. Two completely different roles. President of the USA to the EU president yes. US citizens can vote for the president. When did you last vote for a EU president????

What rubbish. You also vote for your own government, which votes on your behalf for the rest of the institutions, or is itself a part of the institutions.

You really need to read a book or something on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As was said there was one. I only watched the first couple of episodes when it was on Netflix and it was very good. The shows yes, minister and yes, prime minister are also excellent shows based around Westminster and British politics.

And for a modern version, The Thick of it.

I was hoping they would do a special series as Brexit developed bu the creator, Armando Iannucci, said that you cannot satire something as messed up as this.

How right he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

The point I am making is that the other than voting for a MEP, the population has zero say in who does what. And Westminster is different in what way?

They dish out the jobs to the boys. And Westminster / Dail is different in what way?

And you cannot compare the Queen to the EU president. Two completely different roles. Can you explain why this statement is correct?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes, our government.

The thing is we gave our government, in particular the Taoiseach, praise when May and the EU agreed on a deal. Presumably had the deal passed in the HoC today, this would be further evidence of the (our) Government's effectiveness. We, with our EU colleagues, it would be said, have secured a deal that works for Ireland and Europe, guarantees an open border with the North and frictionless trade with all of the UK. Our (Ireland's) policy has worked.

Now, however, the opposite has happened. The question is, therefore, at what point do we say that our policy or our way of thinking is not working? What constitutes failure on our part?
    How can the Taoiseach be responsible for the crapshow in the HoC? They can't agree among themselves and somehow that's our fault? Are you suggesting that we should have caved on the border?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭Russman

Just watched David Davis on BBC saying the EU always cave, “ ........they wait til the last month, week, day, hour, even second.....”
    He reckoned the Irish farmers, German car makers and French wine producers will ensure the EU gives in and gives the UK what they want.
    I honestly hope to God he’s wrong this time and the EU does hold firm, these people need a lesson in humility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Anthracite wrote: »
    What rubbish. You also vote for your own government, which votes on your behalf for the rest of the institutions, or is itself a part of the institutions.

You really need to read a book or something on this.

But the high up EU jobs are so diluted to the point its undemocratic. You can vote for a president in the US. You cant in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yes, our government.

They did secure that deal. Only thing is that UK HoC won't pass it. So I don't know what exactly your point is. Do you expect that the onus is then on the Irish politicians and civil service to go over and do Mays deal of getting it across the line on her side.

She agreed to something that she should have and could have delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

But the high up EU jobs are so diluted to the point its undemocratic. You can vote for a president in the US. You cant in the EU.

You can't vote for the head of state in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes, our government.

What do you think would constitute success on behalf of our government and then we can discuss how we might achieve that.

Personally, I think our elected representatives have been close to perfect on Brexit. And I include Micheal Martin's position on that.

You only have to look at Labour to see how a wannabe PM can put their needs before that of the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement