Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hurrache wrote: »
    British politik continues on that downwards trajectory
    https://twitter.com/DavidCoburnUKip/status/1085637096172335105?s=19

Ignore Coburn - he is a racist, unionist and an ignoramus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

During one of the referendums down here (Lisbon?) when there were lots of claims and counter-claims, there was more than one person who voted for it because "if SF are against it ..."

The only vote I could see SF voting in would be in the final one that removes NI from the UK, and even then it's unlikely.

Lady Silvia is the only Anti-Brexit MP from NI, even though they voted to remain and every organisation , apart from the DUP, want to remain in the EU.

Based on the figures 91% of Northern Irish votes are pro-Brexit and pro-hard border/no-deal. The NI voters vote for their representatives and those representatives go to London and vote on the public's behalf. And 91% of those representative votes are pro-Brexit.

There is no difference between an individual not using their vote in an election an MP not using their vote in Parliament. Not participating removes your right to moan about it afterwards. Especially if your vote could have changed the outcome.

If SF don't want to go. That's fine. If the voters up North are happy for them not to go then that is fine too. Just don't moan about it afterwards lads. Your decisions have consequences which are apparent and known from the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Water John wrote: »
    SNP, LibDems & Plaid Cumyru are also telling TM that she needs to take No Deal Brexit. They'll be telling her that tonight. Don't think there'll be any further talks until she does. Not a remarakably diff stance to Lb.

They'll tell her in the meeting like adults. And then likely leave. That's real politics.

(I'll stand corrected if they don't actually attend)

Based on the figures 91% of Northern Irish votes are pro-Brexit and pro-hard border/no-deal. The NI voters vote for their representatives and those representatives go to London and vote on the public's behalf. And 91% of those representative votes are pro-Brexit.

There is no difference between an individual not using their vote in an election an MP not using their vote in Parliament. Not participating removes your right to moan about it afterwards. Especially if your vote could have changed the outcome.

If SF don't want to go. That's fine. If the voters up North are happy for them not to go then that is fine too. Just don't moan about it afterwards lads. Your decisions have consequences which are apparent and known from the outset.

Outside of you and the few others on here who don't understand abstentionism, who are moaning?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some people want a Hard Border, for the nostalgia d'know.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/01/16/as-good-an-argument-as-any-for-a-hard-border/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I can see Corbyn's dilemna. If he attends, May then says she consulted.
    She has not indicated any willingness to compromise on her red lines despite yesterday's vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ignore Coburn - he is a racist, unionist and an ignoramus

Indeed he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Hopefully that vote tonight puts Corbin back in his box. 5 or 6 penalty kicks and he’s missed them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

May to make a statement at 10pm.

Perhaps a plea for unity? Bit late in the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

May to make a statement at 10pm.

Perhaps a plea for unity? Bit late in the day.

What is the statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So what's this statement that Theresa May is going to give at 10pm about then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

TM to make statement at 10 - presumably, she'll begin "Let me be clear", and proceed to be anything but so.

Outside of you and the few others on here who don't understand abstentionism, who are moaning?

What makes you think I'm moaning?

Just pointing out facts. Fairly useful things those.

:)

(And if you want to hear moaning, just turn the volume on whenever MLMcD comes on the telly to whine on about the Irish government. Which she is entitled to do as an elected representative in the Republic. But she also has the unique position to be able to potentially directly influence what is happening in Westminister. Something none of the other party leaders in the Republic have)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Is it only me or are the UK forgetting that the EU have to aggree to change any further deals??? They all seem confident that they will pop into Brussels and tell the EU this is the deal...you have to accept it.

Really turning into a bigger joke by the minute, its a case of take the deal on offer or leave it.......surely soon the EU has to cut its ties and tell them to stop wasting their time and EU money.

Water John wrote: »
    I can see Corbyn's dilemna. If he attends, May then says she consulted.
    She has not indicated any willingness to compromise on her red lines despite yesterday's vote.

Absolutely; but at this stage go in and see what can be achieved. We know what the answer is but Lab PC, LD and the SNP can all exit and show the country a united front saying that this twaddle can't continue.

Though tbh I'm on the side of Vincent Cable and think that the end is nigh for Corbyn.

Whatever her statement is going to be, it'll be an anticlimax. That's one thing we've come to learn to expect from May every time something like this is announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gintonious wrote: »

Nah

She's going to announce that she's going back to Brussels to renegotiate the agreement

Hurrah

What makes you think I'm moaning?

Just pointing out facts. Fairly useful things those.

:)

You're complaining that a group of MPs that are only MPs solely on the basis that they are abstentionist have the temerity to be abstentionist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Maybe she'll come out of Downing st to say that it was all a dream and there's no Brexit and everything is just fine....

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Nah

She's going to announce that she's going back to Brussels to renegotiate the agreement

Hurrah

The DUP have made it known that had their MPs not supported her in the no confidence vote she would have lost by 1 I think it was. It would not surprise me if she did say she wants further discussions around the backstop, under duress.

Then again, she could just say that no deal is off the table to put more pressure on labour.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

According to Sky News, Labour now suggesting they will be prepared to keep putting forward no confidence proposals until they pass and they want to have one more crack at it very soon.

Other parties rounding on Labour now saying that they are acting badly by not implementing what was voted at their own party conference and that it's time to move on from such motions.

The way to deal with Corbyn's situation now is for his party to vote no confidence in him, but even if they do that the members will likely vote him back in as leaver which is laughable.

Meanwhile Labour have released another party political broadcast today to push for an election, guess what they don't talk about?

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1085584734959403008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sammy Wilson to be new PM?

Nicola Sturgeon would be a great UK prime minister-certainly better than may or corbyn!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Maybe she'll come out of Downing st to say that it was all a dream and there's no Brexit and everything is just fine....

The old Bobby Ewing scenario...

Doubt Theresa may will say anything ground breaking tbh - probably just say she'll have more discussions with the EU :rolleyes:

You're complaining that a group of MPs that are only MPs solely on the basis that they are abstentionist have the temerity to be abstentionist.

Huh?

I'm not complaining about anything. If the right honourable representative for fart-on-sea doesn't turn up to Westminister, I don't care. If NI SF reps are not going to participate and they want to ignore what goes on in Westminister then they should do that. Just ignore it. Don't be going on to radio stations and TV giving interviews about something you don't care enough about to participate in. If they want to abstain on principle, then properly abstain. Don't be the hurler on the ditch roaring and shouting. If you don't want to be in the game, go do something else.

I'd say that they'd be a bit annoyed to be described as how you described them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

TM to make statement at 10 - presumably, she'll begin "Let me be clear", and proceed to be anything but so.

"We will take back control of our borders, our laws and our money" ad nauseum.

And something about fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most likely more hot air, some call on all parties to unite in order to move forward and an accusation against the EU of putting the UK in this position by refusing to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Is it only me or are the UK forgetting that the EU have to aggree to change any further deals??? They all seem confident that they will pop into Brussels and tell the EU this is the deal...you have to accept it.

Really turning into a bigger joke by the minute, its a case of take the deal on offer or leave it.......surely soon the EU has to cut its ties and tell them to stop wasting their time and EU money.

That seems to be the modus operandi for the UK before they go into a negotiations. They state what they want and act like it is all but done before they get brought back down to earth in the real world.

Huh?

I'm not complaining about anything. If the right honourable representative for fart-on-sea doesn't turn up to Westminister, I don't care. If NI SF reps are not going to participate and you want to ignore what goes on in Westminister then they should do that. Just ignore it. Don't be going on to radio stations and TV giving interviews about something you don't care enough about to participate in. If they want to abstain on principle, then properly abstain. Don't be the hurler on the ditch roaring and shouting. If you don't want to be in the game, go do something else.

I'd say that they'd be a bit annoyed to be described as how you described them though

I see. But you're not complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

91% ?

In 2015 the DUP got 184,260 votes in the GE out of a population of 1.847 million.

90% of the population DID NOT VOTE FOR THEM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement