Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I see. But you're not complaining.

Yes, you are right. I am not complaining.

You seem very touchy about someone making the simple observation that if the DUP flipped then the government would lose by one vote. Are you upset by that part of the statement?

Then the second part is that if there was a party with two or more votes, then they could hold the balance of power and wield a lot of influence.

Don't know why you'd take a statement of fact so personally tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Huh?

I'm not complaining about anything. If the right honourable representative for fart-on-sea doesn't turn up to Westminister, I don't care. If NI SF reps are not going to participate and they want to ignore what goes on in Westminister then they should do that. Just ignore it. Don't be going on to radio stations and TV giving interviews about something you don't care enough about to participate in. If they want to abstain on principle, then properly abstain. Don't be the hurler on the ditch roaring and shouting. If you don't want to be in the game, go do something else.

I'd say that they'd be a bit annoyed to be described as how you described them though

That's a complaint in fairness.

SF's voters are clearly happy with what their reps achieve for them. End off really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

flazio wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be the Millennium bug, er I mean the No Deal catastrophe?

Question at this stage is would it be a catastrophe??? If the EU let them out on their terms and they get a good deal Spain, Greece, Portugal or Italy will be next. Take all the benifits without commitment.

Personally think the EU has to be harder with them, make an example of them and ensure not other EU country thinks for a minute about trying the same.

91% ?

In 2015 the DUP got 184,260 votes in the GE out of a population of 1.847 million.

90% of the population DID NOT VOTE FOR THEM.

Read what I wrote.

10/11 of the NI representative's votes in London are pro-Brexit.

Is that not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

91% ?

In 2015 the DUP got 184,260 votes in the GE out of a population of 1.847 million.

90% of the population DID NOT VOTE FOR THEM.

A poll two months ago showed that 61% of voters in Northern Ireland want Brexit scrapped if it means a hard border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You're complaining that a group of MPs that are only MPs solely on the basis that they are abstentionist have the temerity to be abstentionist.

I think that he is complaining that they have the temerity to sit on both sides of the fence in typical SF fashion.

Firstly, they are standing idly by while Northern Ireland faces the biggest challenge of the last 50 years. Not only standing idly by in Westminister, but also in Stormont. Secondly, while standing idly by, they are complaining about what everyone else is doing. Farcically issuing warnings to Varadkar, complaining that May is only listening to the DUP, crying over Brexit, why don't they actually do something other than whinge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

TM to make statement at 10 - presumably, she'll begin "Let me be clear", and proceed to be anything but so.

"Now is not the time for me to state Brexit means Brexit so let me be clear that we all need to be strong and stable to banish the rhetoric of no deal is better than a bad deal..... good night" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

But if 11 turn up in Westminster to vote then each effectively represents 9% of the electorate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So what's this statement that Theresa May is going to give at 10pm about then ?

She'll call Corbyn mean names because he didn't accept her meeting tbis evening and she'll say she has to deliver the brexit people voted for

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Enzokk wrote: »
    That seems to be the modus operandi for the UK before they go into a negotiations. They state what they want and act like it is all but done before they get brought back down to earth in the real world.

Worked for them in the 19th century. They've got too used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Is it only me or are the UK forgetting that the EU have to aggree to change any further deals??? They all seem confident that they will pop into Brussels and tell the EU this is the deal...you have to accept it.

Welcome to the world of Brexit. The EU will bow down to whatever the UK asks. It's been like this from day 1. I think it was Davis who said the minute the UK decided to leave it held all the cards. Reality has shown things to be different. It's crazy that this hasn't hit home and people can still get away with saying stuff like this. There are a string of broken promises that were made because the idea would just accept everything the UK wants. Its depressing that for alot of people in the UK that they haven't realised they are dealing with an economic superpower. Until this reality is acknowledged it will be difficult to get a deal and all the compromises and broken promises that it entails.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"We will take back control of our borders, our laws and our money" ad nauseum.

And something about fish.
    Fish ?

[RANT]

Grove has already sold out on this. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The usual countries will be allowed fish in UK waters.

UK import most of their fish from Europe and export most of their catch to Europe. ( different species - but go figure on how they hope to have future deals )

50% of the NI quota is held by ONE BOAT.

Inshore fishermen only have 1 or 2% of Scotland's quota.

The UK have allowed foreign trawlers land 50% of the UK total in FOREIGN PORTS.

The UK have not revoked licences on foreign trawlers thatrepeatedly and blatantly break UK and EU regulations .

There's a dingy in Cornwall or Portsmouth that has a larger quota than most of the English inshore fishermen put together.

For someone whose family was involved in fishing Grove is just pure spin

Michael Gove's father denies his company was destroyed by EU policies

[/RANT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TM to make statement at 10 - presumably, she'll begin "Let me be clear", and proceed to be anything but so.

I mean we'd like to hear new music but you can't deny the hits like "let me be clear."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Enzokk

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Got to say Gillian Keegan from Tory party on Sky News just now is a refreshing change of tone from most of the Tories, expressed that a No Deal shouldn't happen, the tone of the debate needs to change and that there needs to be free votes on amendments without any whips to see what people are really supportive of and want.

It really is time to let parliament to take control and get rid of the whips.

I don't see how she can rule out a no-deal Brexit. They'd never let her do that.

Surely in the Brexiteer's warped views that only gives licence to the evil EU to refuse to improve existing deal offer (or even replace it with a "worse" one) and also refuse to extend A50. Thus forcing a cancellation of Brexit. They're still going on about bluffing until the last minute so that the EU breaks

So I don't see how she can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

France, Germany and Ireland all supposedly open to A50 being extended. Dominic Waghorn on Sky saying it ould be extended by up to a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

bilston wrote: »
    France, Germany and Ireland all supposedly open to A50 being extended. Dominic Waghorn on Sky saying it ould be extended by up to a year.

**** that ****, I couldn't handle another year.

But a year I'd be surprised, up to May (the mont8) is my best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think that he is complaining that they have the temerity to sit on both sides of the fence in typical SF fashion.

Firstly, they are standing idly by while Northern Ireland faces the biggest challenge of the last 50 years. Not only standing idly by in Westminister, but also in Stormont. Secondly, while standing idly by, they are complaining about what everyone else is doing. Farcically issuing warnings to Varadkar, complaining that May is only listening to the DUP, crying over Brexit, why don't they actually do something other than whinge?

Would you rather they stood idly by like Jack Lynch?

Blanch, it is not up to SF to rescue Britain from itself and you know that well.

But I'll humour you and the Trump fella...

What could SF do now with their votes if they took up their seats?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

bilston wrote: »

If true, Europe blinked first. Well played UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

judeboy101 wrote: »

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

An so the charade goes on.

30 something days to swing 200 MPs on something that couldn't be done in 2 years.

It's going to be a no deal, hard Brexit and the Border is going back up.

Or the EU caves at the last minute and moves on the backstop with some wishy washy fudge and screws us over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

judeboy101 wrote: »
    You think the UK has played this well by keeping the UK in the EU for another year after they said they were leaving? It's been over 2.5 years, and they still haven't gotten their house in order, another 2.5 years and they still won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Blanch, it is not up to SF to rescue Britain from itself and you know that well.

Nothing, the poster you are referring to just has an unhealthy obsession with everything Sinn Fein.

I'm going to go out on a crazy limb here and say that they could use them.

SF are irrelevant. SF NI MPs don't count for any of this. They have as much say in Brexit as you or I or any random poster on here. So they should be treated as such.

DUP now. They're a party with influence belying their size. Unfortunately so. But such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jaysus May, might have been an idea to do all this before you invoked article 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is not just their votes, it is their voices, it is their contribution.

But hey, sitting in the stands as impotent spectators shouting ignorant encouragement and criticism by turn is their preferred role. They could well be pictured as the stereotypical drunken English club fan who loves his team one minute and excoriates them the next, all the while making no sense at all and not having the courage to realise that the ones on the pitch are the ones actually doing the job.

That was ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Offer a voice. Having listened to some of the debate an alternative view in the UK parliament would make a difference. People with some understanding of the issues might enlighten some people. It also has be better than essentially allow the DUP to represent NI. While the majority in the North don't want a hard border the position of NI in Westminster is the DUP position. Given the head count nature of the North the DUP won't suffer unduly in elections. Given the DUPs position it is disappointing that they are allowed to represent NI unopposed in the place where the decision around a hard border will arguably be made.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement