Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

He's playing a fairly old political game - he wants the Tories to go down in flames and knows he just has to wait, so he asks for something he knows May cannot give, in fairness to her.
    Corby wants a GE even though he's behind in the polls.

There must be something in the water over there.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-polls-worry/
    A new YouGov poll for the Times put the Conservatives on 41 per cent support, six points ahead of Labour on 35 per cent. The Liberal Democrats were on 11 per cent and Ukip on 4 per cent.

A BMG Research survey this week put the Tories and Labour level-pegging on 36 per cent, with the Lib Dems on 12 per cent and Ukip on 6 per cent.

The other big takeaway here is that Lib Dems on 11% is meaningless unless there is a hung parliament. They got EIGHT seats , that's less than the DUP from 7.9% of the vote in 2015.

And 11% is less than half of the 23% they got in 2010 when they got 57 Seats. Which is one more than 56 the SNP got in 2015. And the SNP have been virtually ignored in Westminster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bilston wrote: »
    I agree that it would take more polls and probably a wider margin. But it's moving in the right direction (from my POV). Of course there isn't much time left.

I don't think as many people would fall for the Leavers campaign slogans in a second referendum though as did in 2016. But any campaign is going to be risky. Look at May in the UK GE in 2017. She was miles ahead of Labour going into the campaign and ended up needing the DUP to keep her in power.
    But this close to the end date and there are still ever brexiters thinking that the sunlit uplands are just the toss of a unicorn's horn away. The way I see it, there's a fatigue element creeping in and also a hardening of attitudes with the fear of the prize being taken away. It's madness, but 44% still thinking it's a good idea is the bit you should be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Corby wants a GE even though he's behind in the polls.

There must be something in the water over there.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-polls-worry/

The other big takeaway here is that Lib Dems on 11% is meaningless unless there is a hung parliament. They got EIGHT seats , that's less than the DUP from 7.9% of the vote in 2015.

And 11% is less than half of the 23% they got in 2010 when they got 57 Seats. Which is one more than 56 the SNP got in 2015. And the SNP have been virtually ignored in Westminster.

Polls of UK opinion at the minute would have to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.
    The government is confused, as is parliament..what must the electorate be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Was watching BBC NI earlier where they had a report on the border near Cavan and one of the locals interviewed said Nigel Dodds' father Joe worked as a customs officer. Found this a surprise and turns out it's true. From the Belfast Telegraph:

So Dodds would know about customs more than most given his father's profession, yet just a few days ago was willing to stand over Arlene's recent comments that there had never been a hard border. Lamentable but not at all surprising.
    Sure that means nothing to him.
    Her comment was an example of a situation where the people that care don't matter, and the people that matter don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Guardian headline for tomorrow is 'Corbyn faces revolts if he looks for second referendum'.

That is very confusing indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Guardian headline for tomorrow is 'Corbyn faces revolts if he looks for second referendum'.

Why is it confusing may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am confused as well. Labour has been in favour of a soft Brexit and most of their MPs are against leaving, yet they don't want to campaign for a second referendum? I have to wonder whether there is some politicking going on in the party in favour of Corbyn and these threats are only there to enhance Corbyn's position. Either that or he is terrible at getting the party behind the conference position. How does he think he will command government of he cannot get them to follow the Labour party position as per the conference?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why is it confusing may I ask?

I thought that much of Labour wanted a second referendum? :confused:

Did I get that wrong? I thought Corbyn himself did not want a referendum.

Basically, he would lose Leave voting labour constituencies.

• Advertisement

Im not sure WW is kosher here but boy did this make me laugh:

"Cameron, famous for allegedly fucķing a dead pig and then fucķing over a dead empire by forcing a referendum on membership of the EU"

Polls of UK opinion at the minute would have to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.
    The government is confused, as is parliament..what must the electorate be like.
    The point is that even if the Lib Dems treble the % they got last time out they'll still be ignored unless there is a hung parliament.

Or in other words if there is a GE it won't change much.
    A pro-Brexit party with red lines and demands for rainbow unicorns will be in power.

And that's the best option, it's more likely to be a weak government needing to placate the extremists or worse a supply and confidence deal with the DUP or SNP or even UKIP who have a very clear agenda.

Yes, I guess that's fair enough, but that would br the voter level or 'the grassroots' whereas the Guardian seem to be implying that MPs from the parliamentary party are threatening resignations. I thought most Labour MPs back the second vote and Corbyn had no interest. So, seems bizarre.

I thought that much of Labour wanted a second referendum? :confused:

Did I get that wrong? I thought Corbyn himself did not want a referendum.
    Corbyn doesn't particularly want a referendum although he is at pains not to rule one out in order to keep campaigners on side.

But any MP from a Leave constituency will be dead set against a referendum as no one who voted Leave will vote for the party that does not respect that vote.

As I see it, it is not simply a case of numbers. The vehemence of constituents is also an issue. Not holding a referendum may disappoint some Remain voters but many of them will also accept that a referendum was already held but they were on the wrong side of it.

On the other hand, Leave voters will be actively angry if their vote is not respected and will change their party voting accordingly. The other party will mop them up.

Im not sure WW is kosher here
    The May kicking the can one got me, because that is exactly what she's doing.

And that disaster capitalist would love a fire sale.

And the UK media have been projecting wishful thinking as news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The View on BBC atm is very good and interesting.

He is going to lose Sunderland and Newcastle to the Tories?

Yes, I guess that's fair enough, but that would br the voter level or 'the grassroots' whereas the Guardian seem to be implying that MPs from the parliamentary party are threatening resignations. I thought most Labour MPs back the second vote and Corbyn had no interest. So, seems bizarre.

I really don't know how they get these numbers, but I am not close to the party though. There seems to be a disconnect between what Labour members want and what the party wants according to the polls as well. This could cause a split among Labour much sooner than the Tories, seeing as they seem to me to put party ahead of country much more easily.

Enzokk wrote: »
    I really don't know how they get these numbers, but I am not close to the party though. There seems to be a disconnect between what Labour members want and what the party wants according to the polls as well. This could cause a split among Labour much sooner than the Tories, seeing as they seem to me to put party ahead of country much more easily.

Same as the Tories. Both parties split and divided. May aswell have an MP swap or a session of musical chairs in the HOC and only stop the music when everyone is sitting on the right side. Either that or they can have 1 new party from each of Labour and Tories and 1 for the ERG. At least there would be some options and more clearly defined positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Kate Hoey on 'The View' saying that a no-deal Brexit will be much worse for Ireland than the north.

They need to have someone who's qualified on EU matters stand next to people being interviewed on Brexit with a big vuvuzela that gets blasted into their ear when they talk shit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

It is confusing, but then the whole thing is.

If Corbyn calls for a second referendum (which he should) he risks losing his pro-Leave northern English voter base.

It's become frustratingly clear that all he wants are the keys to number 10, he won't risk losing a single vote even if that means going along with the hard Brexit suicide pact....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Revolt from who?

I thought most Labour voters and MPs wanted a second referendum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭josip

bilston wrote: »
    Revolt from who?

I thought most Labour voters and MPs wanted a second referendum?

The article I read was that the revolt would be from his front bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

The Telegraph headline

Cabinet ministers warn Theresa May she will face mass resignations unless she allows MPs to stop no-deal Brexit.

Same as the Tories. Both parties split and divided. May aswell have an MP swap or a session of musical chairs in the HOC and only stop the music when everyone is sitting on the right side. Either that or they can have 1 new party from each of Labour and Tories and 1 for the ERG. At least there would be some options and more clearly defined positions.

I believe that most Labour MPs are remainers. I know a lot of them are in areas that voted to leave. But as David Lammy said he was elected to represent the best interests of his voters even when that was against what they were telling him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

bob mcbob wrote:
    Cabinet ministers warn Theresa May she will face mass resignations unless she allows MPs to stop no-deal Brexit.

Very weary of these threats at this stage. Liam Fox is going no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Very weary of these threats at this stage. Liam Fox is going no where.

This is not Brexiteers, this is the remainers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The View on BBC atm is very good and interesting.

Wait until you see Question Time......audience full of No Deal types and hardline Brexiteers (!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

So in summary if May does anything people will quit? If Corbyn does anything people will quit?

Strazdas wrote: »
    Wait until you see Question Time......audience full of No Deal types and hardline Brexiteers (!)

Its grim viewing. You have to hope they are selecting their audience otherwise the UK education system has a lot to answer for. This is Derby, where Rolls Royce builds their aircraft engines for Airbus. They are clamoring to leave without a deal it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

News dump.

Brexit means the UK gov't isn't planning to keep the lights on.
    All but one of the UK's existing nuclear power plants are due to close by 2030. Only one of the six new plants is going ahead.
    A Hard Brexit means importing electricity may have extra costs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46896530
    A reminder that a Hard Brexit means things like data transfers get tricky.

Housing market outlook worst 'for 20 years' Uncertainty.
    Property values also affect the balance sheet. Enough of a fall and some companies would become insolvent.

Make no mistake, anything other than calling off the whole thing means years more haggling and presumably humiliation.
    Ministers must clarify the UK's post-Brexit relationship with Switzerland and up to 70 non-EU countries,

The price of renewable energy has halved in the last 10 years. We should invest heavily in wind farms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement