Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

fash wrote: »
    Just thinking: IIRC, the EU requires that right hand drive cars are available at the same cost as LHD - that is going to be slightly weird when the only EU members with RHD are Ireland, Malta and Cyprus.

There are nearly 2.5 billion people driving on LHS; people forget most of south and east Africa, Indian subcontinent and Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,460 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The problem would be that as Ireland would have to have a vote to say they also wanted a UI-that would put the onus on Ireland to pay for it which,correct me if I'm wrong is a none starter.

When the time comes (a border poll) and it will, the rest of the UK will be encouraging and incentivising a UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

When the time comes (a border poll) and it will, the rest of the UK will be encouraging and incentivising a UI.

Thats likely however weve seen how much they dont like following through on things theyve agreed to in the last 2 years.

Its not beyond the bounds of reason we would get promises of payments that are never followed through on from them

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thats likely however weve seen how much they dont like following through on things theyve agreed to in the last 2 years.

Its not beyond the bounds of reason we would get promises of payments that are never followed through on from them

If they want rid of it then it makes complete sense that they see to it that it is successful. The last thing they want is a fireball on their doorstep, which they will be made partly responsible for everywhere. They are leaving the EU, not civilisation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Trolling post and one-liner deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

You have to love the notion that the German car companies would lose the UK business. Does even the most manic leaver really believe that Mercedes, BMW and Audi drivers will buy some Chinese or American no-name tat to replace them? Not a chance that this will happen.

The badge snobbery in the UK is even worse than here. They will just pay more to drive the chosen badge. They might even see the higher cost as elevating the status of the marque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,473 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You have to love the notion that the German car companies would lose the UK business. Does even the most manic leaver really believe that Mercedes, BMW and Audi drivers will buy some Chinese or American no-name tat to replace them? Not a chance that this will happen.

The badge snobbery in the UK is even worse than here. They will just pay more to drive the chosen badge. They might even see the higher cost as elevating the status of the marque.
    The sales of Rolls Royce, Bentleys, and Jaguars might increase a little from the more patriotic brexiteers, much to the joy of BMW who own Rolls Royce, Volkswagen who own Bentley, and TATA who own Jaguar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Really? I don't think it will be that simple tbh. For instance, you'd need a massive change in politics in England alone, never mind NI.

Now, this could happen with Brexit and the Tories getting smashed and broken up - however Labour are not a realistic threat to them, no matter how badly the country is run with Corbyn at the helm.

The way I see it, it would take a second Scottish referendum and them leaving the union, rejoining the EU and actually beginning to thrive again before a UI is even conceivable tbh.

There's a whole lot that needs to happen before we can start to think of that in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lotus are making cars in China now.

Where is the light at the end of the tunnel for UK car making ?

Turkey is in the CU and a lot cheaper.

Uk car industry had been doing very well- once Eu membership is removed though it takes away one of the key pillars it’s been built on, not to mention JIT production. I can’t see Nissan or Honda staying there without free access as per now. They all have plants in continental Europe as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's one of those straw men that crop up all the time. It's built on the notion that 'somehow' the EU will 'punish' the UK for leaving by not selling them anythig. And it's further confused by the notion that tariffs stop imports. So the EU are imposing tariffs on the UK and the German car manufacturers will scream blue murder because they want to keep selling their cars to the UK.

And of course the Trumpian view that putting tariffs on things means that it costs the exporting country more. I explained the error in this to a brexiteer on twitter a while ago and was met with a deafening silence as the cognitive dissonance imploded his brain.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Really? I don't think it will be that simple tbh. For instance, you'd need a massive change in politics in England alone, never mind NI.

Now, this could happen with Brexit and the Tories getting smashed and broken up - however Labour are not a realistic threat to them, no matter how badly the country is run with Corbyn at the helm.

The way I see it, it would take a second Scottish referendum and them leaving the union, rejoining the EU and actually beginning to thrive again before a UI is even conceivable tbh.

There's a whole lot that needs to happen before we can start to think of that in my opinion.

A border on the island of Ireland is all that needs to happen IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

A border on the island of Ireland is all that needs to happen IMO.

I mean, a lot of us would like to think so, of that there is no doubt. But I don't think it's going to be that simple in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Necro wrote: »
    I mean, a lot of us would like to think so, of that there is no doubt. But I don't think it's going to be that simple in all honesty.

The border alone will antagonise people expecially in how haphazardly it crosses through various villages etc but the economic impact as well will be like a one two punch to the region and those combined with a stable EU country just south might tip the scales entirely

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can see it now!

Big red bus travelling round GB....with PM, Boris Johnson, at the wheel....

'We send NI £211 million a week - lets fund our NHS instead.'

AFAIK, subvention to NI is £11bn per year!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Listening to Hilary Benn, Anna Soubry and Dominic Raab argue amongst themselves on the Andrew Marr show about what kind of deal would be acceptable to them, you would think it’s June 24th 2016.

They are leaving in 68 days!

Every time I see this type of exchange, I think no deal is more and more likely.

It's going to be another fascinating (in the car crash sense) week of watching the political system of the UK grapple with itself.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0120/1024336-brexit/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Enzokk

judeboy101 wrote: »
    There are nearly 2.5 billion people driving on LHS; people forget most of south and east Africa, Indian subcontinent and Japan.

And how many cars from the EU is exported to those markets? I am not saying they will stop producing RHD vehicles but you have to look at whether it is cost effective for them to do that. Luckily it seems that these days its not a big issue whether you produce a RHD or LHD vehicle like it would have been maybe 30 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Enzokk wrote: »
    And how many cars from the EU is exported to those markets? I am not saying they will stop producing RHD vehicles but you have to look at whether it is cost effective for them to do that. Luckily it seems that these days its not a big issue whether you produce a RHD or LHD vehicle like it would have been maybe 30 years ago.

I think people are getting a bit sidetracked here. There's no reason EU manufacturers won't continue to export cars to Britain after Brexit so I don't see this being a issue that needs worry.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cars are designed differently these days. The body shell is typically the same. The dashboard, steering rack and a few other bits are different but not something that manufacturers lose a fortune over, so the EU will not let them reduce their RHD offerings post Brexit and as already noted, the UK market for EU vehicles will not close. It may reduce as the UK economy contracts and tariffs make EU cars more expensive, but it won't disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Shelga wrote: »
    Listening to Hilary Benn, Anna Soubry and Dominic Raab argue amongst themselves on the Andrew Marr show about what kind of deal would be acceptable to them, you would think it’s June 24th 2016.

They are leaving in 68 days!

Every time I see this type of exchange, I think no deal is more and more likely.
    Most likely, however, they would request an extension of A50 which would give them time to negotiate a new deal.

• Advertisement

Most likely, however, they would request an extension of A50 which would give them time to negotiate a new deal.

Which isn't guaranteed though as this all comes down to Britain having to decide what it wants. There's no point in extending A50 unless there's a substantial shift on the British side but they're effectively paralyzed by indecision and incompetence. Even the EU wont kick this can down the road (EU parlimentary elections primarily) and everyone is tired of this pantomime as well. The more likely scenario is once faced with a perilous crash out scenario the Brits will have to decide whether to jump off that cliff and wreck their country or swallow their pride and admit they were wrong in this whole debacle promising the undeliverable and cancel A50 because that's their only definitive OUT right now from all this.

This whole debacle is an excercise in idiocy, ignorance and human stupidity and honestly theres times when its not worth arguing with idiots because they simply refuse to learn or listen and have to get beat up before realising they're wrong (needlessly too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Infini wrote: »
    Which isn't guaranteed though as this all comes down to Britain having to decide what it wants. There's no point in extending A50 unless there's a substantial shift on the British side but they're effectively paralyzed by indecision and incompetence. Even the EU wont kick this can down the road (EU parlimentary elections primarily) and everyone is tired of this pantomime as well. The more likely scenario is once faced with a perilous crash out scenario the Brits will have to decide whether to jump off that cliff and wreck their country or swallow their pride and admit they were wrong in this whole debacle promising the undeliverable and cancel A50 because that's their only definitive OUT right now from all this.
    I agree with you however if the EU were to grant an extension, it would not be in order to help the UK it would be because some countries will be quite badly effected by a disorderly exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Raab is out doing the rounds today. Some highlights:

UK would be in a better & stronger position after a No deal as the EU would need a deal.
    Coveney is far more open to getting rid of the backstop than the 'less moderate' Varadkar
    EU need to change the negotiation team as it about time the politicians will allowed get on with it.

Separately, the Plan B seems to consist of making a bilateral deal with Ireland, despite the fact that Ireland is not even allowed, under CU rules, to do that or that it wouldn't be in our long term interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I agree with you however if the EU were to grant an extension, it would not be in order to help the UK it would be because some countries will be quite badly effected by a disorderly exit.

How would granting an extension deal with that, rather than simply put it back? Time is not, has not, been the problem.

At every stage the UK has been dragged into any position. The only reason they agreed to the December Deal was because the EU refused to move to stage 2. Once the UK felt they had got movement they simply ignored the agreement.

May has wasted that last 6 weeks on a pointless postponement of the vote. She wasted months on the Chequers deal, which as soon as it emerged was written off by everyone.

TM is still continuing with the position that only she knows best and any compromise must come for others "for the sake of the nation".

Moving the A50 deadline will only give the UK the room to put off any decision for even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭20silkcut

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's one of those straw men that crop up all the time. It's built on the notion that 'somehow' the EU will 'punish' the UK for leaving by not selling them anythig. And it's further confused by the notion that tariffs stop imports. So the EU are imposing tariffs on the UK and the German car manufacturers will scream blue murder because they want to keep selling their cars to the UK.

And of course the Trumpian view that putting tariffs on things means that it costs the exporting country more. I explained the error in this to a brexiteer on twitter a while ago and was met with a deafening silence as the cognitive dissonance imploded his brain.

Tariffs take money off the customer and give to the exchequer?

No money is actually lost to the importing country. It’s just a tax designed to cut sales of the imported item? Does that decline in sales not cost the exporting country in the long run, if they don’t replace their markets. There probably is a significant cost implied in changing markets also.
    Retaliatory tariffs obviously level up the situation. But the end result is a loss of wealth on both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Leroy42 wrote: »

1. UK would be in a better & stronger position after a No deal as the EU would need a deal.
    2. Coveney is far more open to getting rid of the backstop than the 'less moderate' Varadkar
    2+3. EU need to change the negotiation team as it about time the politicians will allowed get on with it.

Separately, 4. the Plan B seems to consist of making a bilateral deal with Ireland, despite the fact that Ireland is not even allowed, under CU rules, to do that or that it wouldn't be in our long term interests.

1. If they believe it let them get on with it. They have done a wonderful job up till now.
    2. The backstop has been turned down by the UK government...there problem not that of the EU. The worst case is a border to N.Ireland. Set one up and wait a few years....wont take long until the Scots and NI want out of the UK and back into the EU.

3. No need to change anything. Deal is on the table....if they dont like it...go shopping somewhere else.

4. The plan B from the EU should be to call their bluff and tell them to rev up and Fcuk right off with their games.

The general opinion here in Germany is that they need the EU more than the EU needs them. I asked a few days ago......what can the UK do that no other EU state can?? What do they produce that the EU needs and cant produce themselves???

The UK government is on its knees in a corner and are trying to wiggle out. The EU has to keep them right there where they are.....if not other member states will want out with a soft deal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Akrasia wrote: »
    The sales of Rolls Royce, Bentleys, and Jaguars might increase a little from the more patriotic brexiteers, much to the joy of BMW who own Rolls Royce, Volkswagen who own Bentley, and TATA who own Jaguar
    Over 90% of Rolls were exported last year , similar numbers for the rest.

BTW Where is Waterford Crystal made these days ?

The thing is its only worth granting an extention if its going to lead somewhere. Right now though theres complete denial and even elements of being in the twilight zone over there they are completely convinced that somehow, someway they're of significant importance in Europe and somehow Europe will bend at the last minute. Realisically they wont as they cannot compromise on core tenants of the EU for the sake of a soon to be former member whos trust and honesty is seriously questionable these days.

Macron is right about how the UK has completely toxic politics and the rest of Europe is going to be better off without them while they're like that. The truth is the UK needa a hard look in the mirror because all this is a result of their countries policy failures and inability to adapt.

The EU members would probably extend if theres serious movement in the end but if not and its just gonna be more of the same opinions will likely be of the mind that its better to tackle this problem by the horns than kick the problem down the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

20silkcut wrote: »
    No money is actually lost to the importing country. It’s just a tax designed to cut sales of the imported item? Does that decline in sales not cost the exporting country in the long run, if they don’t replace their markets. There probably is a significant cost implied in changing markets also.
    Retaliatory tariffs obviously level up the situation. But the end result is a loss of wealth on both sides?
    There would only be a loss in wealth on both sides if neither had a third option.

For most of what the UK exports there is an alternative in the EU or in countries the EU has a free trade agreement with. ( Except Jet engines, but they have very long contracts so not directly comparable )

The UK won't have as many alternatives.
    The only way to get fresh food from outside the EU/EFTA would be to fly it in, or back to the bad old days of long-distance live exports.

The US is going "America First" tariffs.
    The EU has clout. A UK needing a trade deal doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Leroy42 wrote: »

UK would be in a better & stronger position after a No deal as the EU would need a deal.
    Coveney is far more open to getting rid of the backstop than the 'less moderate' Varadkar
    EU need to change the negotiation team as it about time the politicians will allowed get on with it.

So, the UK to not budge (i.e. give nothing) and for the EU to do all the moving (again), in the hope that something exposes itself to be exploited by the UK government.

Why, or how, did anyone consider Raab to be a political titan? Unless the Tory party is that incestuous that he is considered the cream of the crop, I fail to see how anyone could put him on a pedestal and not question their own intelligence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement