Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In fairness, they're not in government in Holyrood.

I'm not really sure how Ruth Davidson can countenance being a Tory in the current situation they're in to be honest. That said, both major parties are opposed to IndyRef2. Labour need the Scottish votes if the SNP slip up any further while no Tory wants to preside over the breakup of the United Kingdom despite Brexit being highly likely to be the catalyst for just that.
    In fairness though, the DUP haven't been in government in Stormont for a wee while either.

The Scottish Tories should be making hay while the sun shines. If there's a Tory majority in the next election they can be safely be ignored. but for now they can pull the plug on May anytime. So they should be getting concessions to minimise the effects of Brexit on Scotland and try to head off indyref2.

Otherwise they are just toadies of an English party.

And not so long ago Ruth was looking like a serious contender for party leader. Or maybe she's just earning her place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Constitutionally, Prince Charles can do nothing.

However, a declaration by the Queen would carry a lot of weight. But as she is supposed to favour leaving her words would probably be along the lines of
    You voted for a Referendum to be held to decide whether to leave the EU or to remain. The voters chose to leave and so the country is obligated to leave. If any legislation is sent to me which is designed to break your promise I will refuse to give my assent. Now do what you bound yourself to do without further delay.

Alternatively, she could prorogue Parliament.

I doubt the queen would be in favour of Brexit or at least no deal brexit.
    Does she still meet Theresa May every week. She would likely be on the same page as her.
    Gas to think that weekly meeting with the PM goes all the way back to Churchill with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So yeah, Plan B is now official. So much for her seaking cross party consensus, it's still about staying in power.
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1087068937941143554?s=19[;url}]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So Eu would no give her any legal guarantee on the time frame of the backstop so she can't honestly believe they would remove it altogether.

Just more time wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

RobMc59 wrote: »
    There is no incentive for NI to want to become part of the Republic,it is dearer to live in the Republic-car tax,stamp duty,NHS just to name a few.

But not mentioning property tax, diesel, or things that are cheaper.

But of course it is dearer, people earn 40% more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tuxy wrote: »
    So Eu would no give her any legal guarantee on the time frame of the backstop so she can't honestly believe they would remove it altogether.

Just more time wasting.Remain as PM for yet another day and let tomorrow be tomorrow's problem.
    Fixed that for you from May's perspective. To date at every single point, every single decision, every single question of leadership there has only, and will only, be one thing which matters. What makes May remain as PM for another day? Nothing else has or will ever matter beyond that no matter what lofty alternatives people have given May over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lemming wrote: »
    So, the UK to not budge (i.e. give nothing) and for the EU to do all the moving (again), in the hope that something exposes itself to be exploited by the UK government.

Why, or how, did anyone consider Raab to be a political titan? Unless the Tory party is that incestuous that he is considered the cream of the crop, I fail to see how anyone could put him on a pedestal and not question their own intelligence.

The man who - while Brexit secretary - didnt realise how important trade with the EU was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,473 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hurrache wrote: »
    So yeah, Plan B is now official. So much for her seaking cross party consensus, it's still about staying in power.
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1087068937941143554?s=19[;url}]

So crashing out it is then.

This woman is infuriating. You cant keep trying exactly the same thing over and over expecting different results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

RTE News saying they're considering staying in the Customs Union to remove the need for a backstop (I think, was only half listening). Does this sound realistic and if so would the EU find it acceptable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Synode wrote: »
    RTE News saying they're considering staying in the Customs Union to remove the need for a backstop (I think, was only half listening). Does this sound realistic and if so would the EU find it acceptable?
    For UK; sure. For NI? Not enough because without being in SM and CU there are extensive border controls (see Turkey for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Staying in the customs union would cost billions I can't see it getting support from the HoC. Also the customs union wouldn't be enough to avoid a hard border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The deal already has a UK wide CU does it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No, I saw the RTE 9pm bulletin. Sean Whelan was suggesting no breakthrough, just that May is concentrating on keeping the ERG and DUP onside and there mightn't even be a 'Plan B'......just this strategy of appeasing the Brexiteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,424 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The deal already has a UK wide CU does it not?

That's what I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, I saw the RTE 9pm bulletin. Sean Whelan was suggesting no breakthrough, just that May is concentrating on keeping the ERG and DUP onside and there mightn't even be a 'Plan B'......just this strategy of appeasing the Brexiteers.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1087100144888307712

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

That the hell is wrong with these people? The GFA can't be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That the hell is wrong with these people? The GFA can't be changed.

Not to mention that it cannot be amended unilaterally by one party. That's not how agreements work, something that seems to be beyond the current British Government's comprehension abilities.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

tuxy wrote: »

Just more time wasting.

Perhaps the idea is not to change the EUs mind, but to change Westminsters. If on the 28th March there is no deal and she has tried to keep getting the EU to change, she might see if her domestic opposition will back down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭blackcard

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Lemming wrote: »
    So, the UK to not budge (i.e. give nothing) and for the EU to do all the moving (again), in the hope that something exposes itself to be exploited by the UK government.

Why, or how, did anyone consider Raab to be a political titan? Unless the Tory party is that incestuous that he is considered the cream of the crop, I fail to see how anyone could put him on a pedestal and not question their own intelligence.

The man who - while Brexit secretary - didnt realise how important trade with the EU was.
    It is frankly mind boggling to hear Raab being mentioned as a possible Prime Minister. Surely the populace can see him for what he is, a rather dim politician

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We'll see her deliver another nonentity of a speech tomorrow, I wouldn't doubt.
    Just looking to bring ERG and DUP on board.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/20/theresa-may-cross-party-consensus-brexit-backstop-tory-split

She has not reached out cross party, keeping the Tories from splitting is her overriding concern. For her that means not alienating the ERG, seems to think the rest will always fall in line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Well as others have pointed out the Withdrawal Agreement already includes that instead of just NI the whole of the UK will be in the customs union in case the backstop is needed.

I think we are seeing the UK strategy playing out in desperation now. Firstly Theresa May talked about compromises and the parties getting together to ensure a deal gets made that parliament can vote for, then she still has her red lines and it rules out any compromise deal.

We have also seen stories talking about how there is division among EU countries and even between Varadkar and Coveney. Now we have the UK wanting to change the GFA to get a deal through? It is getting desperate now and I fear it will only get worse from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

blackcard wrote: »
    It is frankly mind boggling to hear Raab being mentioned as a possible Prime Minister. Surely the populace can see him for what he is, a rather dim politician

In conversations about the next leader of the Conservatives (and therefore potential PM) 4 names are still in the short list (7 total on the list*). Raab, Johnson, Davis and Gove.

I would be concerned if any of them were GM of a 100-500 person company.

*(The others are Javid, Hunt and Rudd)

Water John wrote: »
    We'll see her deliver another nonentity of a speech tomorrow, I wouldn't doubt.
    Just looking to bring ERG and DUP on board.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/20/theresa-may-cross-party-consensus-brexit-backstop-tory-split

She has not reached out cross party, keeping the Tories from splitting is her overriding concern. For her that means not alienating the ERG, seems to think the rest will always fall in line.

Seems about right. This quote from the article just about sells it for where the UK government is right now.
    Cabinet sources said the consensus on the 90-minute call was to renew efforts to find acceptable changes to the backstop arrangement but that the conversation was light on specifics. One said there were “no actual solutions” proposed during the call.

So they know the only way to get the deal through without splitting the Conservative Party is to change the backstop. But they don't know how to do this so we have nothing happening. I foresee that Theresa May will not be willing to compromise with the other parties and will thus go back to the EU to ask for a change to the backstop. This will be met with incredulity by EU leaders as May will not be able to tell them what they specifically need other than no backstop.

So we are where we always have been. May needs the DUP and the ERG votes, but if she follows their Brexit plans there are enough rebels to block this. But she cannot get a soft Brexit through due to the DUP and ERG blocking it and if she reaches across the aisle she will face a split in the Tory party. I think the Hail Mary from May will be to challenge the rebels by tying a vote in the HoC to a no confidence in government. This would mean if they vote against it they are going against their party. The only way to get this through is by following the ERG and DUP because if she goes the other way the 10 DUP votes swings it against her.

Just to make me chuckle a bit I will remember Cameron stating that a Labour government would lead to chaos and May was touting how strong and stable she is. What a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Have the Scottish Conservatives delivered anything for Scotland since the election apart from Ruth's baby ?

May needs them. And has practically ignored them while fawning to the DUP and "ERG". The DUP have extracted money and concessions but the Scottish Tory Party have done what exactly ?

If there is a GE or Indyref2 they could be toast.

Sweet FA

For info, the Tory party in Scotland is exactly the same as the Tory party in the rest of Britain. There is no such party as the Scottish Tories - that is just branding to try and not be linked with the farce that goes on in the Tory party. Davidson would hide from questions anyway so her on maternity leave is no different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Enzokk wrote: »
    I think we are seeing the UK strategy playing out in desperation now. Firstly Theresa May talked about compromises and the parties getting together to ensure a deal gets made that parliament can vote for, then she still has her red lines and it rules out any compromise deal.

We have also seen stories talking about how there is division among EU countries and even between Varadkar and Coveney. Now we have the UK wanting to change the GFA to get a deal through? It is getting desperate now and I fear it will only get worse from here on in.
    It’s almost as if we’re listening in to a No. 10 brainstorming session. “C’mon people”, says Theresa May, “let’s put on our thinking caps and say our ideas out loud. Now remember, no suggestion is too outrageous, and it doesn’t go beyond this room”.

Only to have every daft idea regurgitated in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

In conversations about the next leader of the Conservatives (and therefore potential PM) 4 names are still in the short list (7 total on the list*). Raab, Johnson, Davis and Gove.

I would be concerned if any of them were GM of a 100-500 person company.

*(The others are Javid, Hunt and Rudd)

Personally, I think Gove and Raab would both make good leaders of the Conservative party.

Ultimately however I would be extremely content to see Johnny Mercer, Helen Whately or Penny Mordaunt, although they are all very unlikely in the next contest.

Johnson, Davis and Amber Rudd would all be disasters in my opinion, but worryingly they are probably the front runners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The only 2 you mention who have shown ability to mange their Minesterial briefs are Gove and Rudd. Rudd gets a bonus point for taking one that should have been the fatal shot at her PM.

Sweet FA

For info, the Tory party in Scotland is exactly the same as the Tory party in the rest of Britain. There is no such party as the Scottish Tories - that is just branding to try and not be linked with the farce that goes on in the Tory party. Davidson would hide from questions anyway so her on maternity leave is no different

It is one of the interesting votes I will be looking at at the next election. What will be the support for the Scottish Tories after they have allowed Brexit to happen in a country that overwhelmingly voted to remain. There has been no effort at all from Scottish Conservatives to even get a soft Brexit through. If the Scottish people are serious about staying in the EU they will punish them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Water John wrote: »
    The only 2 you mention who have shown ability to mange their Minesterial briefs are Gove and Rudd. Rudd gets a bonus point for taking one that should have been the fatal shot at her PM.

Amber Rudd was a disaster as Home Secretary long before she took the hit for May on Windrush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement