Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

josip wrote: »
    What's Poland's angle on this?
    [*]Trouble making because the EU are censuring their purge on the judiciary?
    [/LIST]

Not just the EU but an Irish Judge specifically.

Despite Polands less than genuine motivations, is a 5 year backstop any worse than an immediate no deal? In 5 years the UK could be applying for EEA membership

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Would it be that bad of an idea? The amount of goods that might seek to enter mainland EU via Ireland from the UK must be very small. It would be easy enough to implement, would bring customs jobs to Wexford and Cork, and carrying out an adminstrative check "in the celtic sea" is far less politically sensitive as an administrative check "in the Irish sea".

If France and Benelux play ball and it wont be too onerous, why not look into it? It may mean sacrificing national pride, but I think we are above such petty squabbling, especially if it means extra EU money to pay our civil servants.

I can't tell if you're joking?

You want to again become the UK's whipping boy to help dig them out of a mess they made for themselves?
    All the while they've shown us nothing but contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

I presume the net benefit is the only reason Law and Justice is currently pro-EU.

The Law and Justice party have bought the rural vote leveraging EU funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What are the Polish at? Seems some of the UK lobbying is finally making inroads. I'm sure the UK made the Poles some promises for this.

UK strategy is obviously to pressurise Ireland right now, which looks like another calamitous error in Judgement by May.

5 years is a completely arbitrary timeline and resolves nothing, kicking the can down the road in just the way that May likes.

I hope our boys will be telling their Foreign minister whats what as well as that we dont appreciate their butting their heads in an area that is fundamental to our interests, on behalf of a nation departing our union.

If May is just going to be stubborn on this, and not propose any fresh ideas other than attacking the backstop, I see No Deal Brexit ahead.

The EU have been clear all along, as have we, that the WA must have the backstop. May has admitted so much a few times now.

What the hell are they thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What are the Polish at? Seems some of the UK lobbying is finally making inroads. I'm sure the UK made the Poles some promises for this.

UK strategy is obviously to pressurise Ireland right now, which looks like another calamitous error in Judgement by May.

5 years is a completely arbitrary timeline and resolves nothing, kicking the can down the road in just the way that May likes.

I hope our boys will be telling their Foreign minister whats what as well as that we dont appreciate their butting their heads in an area that is fundamental to our interests.

If May is just going to be stubborn on this, and not propose any fresh ideas other than attacking the backstop, I see No Deal Brexit ahead.

The EU have been clear all along, as have we, that the WA must have the backstop. May has admitted so much a few times now.

What the hell are they thinking?

Well the polish government has started turning alot more to the right and they are trying to snap back at the EU in relation to their changes to the judical system that the EU wasnt happy with.

Poland is going through a bit of a period of trouble right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Let's be careful not to conflate one alleged Polish minister's comment with the position of the Polish government/state. We have seen how comments are easily taken out of context in the UK press and ran with. Sure don't the readership of the Daily Express still think Varadkar "threatened" to close Irish airspace to UK carriers.

listermint wrote: »
    Well the polish government has started turning alot more to the right and they are trying to snap back at the EU in relation to their changes to the judical system that the EU wasnt happy with.

Poland is going through a bit of a period of trouble right now

You get political support from the EU by taking your medicine, as we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

seamus wrote: »
    Katya Adler has been pushing a strongy one-sided narrative of late. Same person who last week that got pulled up on claiming that Varadkar was on shaky ground at home - i.e. that his brexit hardline was weakening his support. Her defence was that she worded it badly and she meant the opposite - that he was holding onto the backstop in order to maintain home support.

Clearly based on her recent tweets though, the original meaning was the implied meaning. She's pushing the narrative that the reason a deal can't be reached is EU failures and intransigence, and it's the EU in trouble if a deal can't be reached.

The level of British journalism is that they just throw out comments looking for a response from the foreigners and real Irish and European journalists then have to explain to them as if they're serious.

Adler is indicative of Brexit, too arrogant to engage with European sources unless they suit her agenda.

She clearly has an agenda. The BBC are biased.

To be fair, the comments below are calling her out. But she refuses to acknowledge.

"A senior Labour MP leading a backbench effort to rule out a no-deal Brexit has argued that much of the government, including Theresa May, privately want this to happen, and are relying on parliament to take action."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/21/may-wants-parliament-to-rule-out-no-deal-brexit-yvette-cooper-article-50-extension

The senior labour MP being Yvette Cooper. If this is true, just makes May look ever weaker than she obviously is. Also a poor, cowardly leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Would it be that bad of an idea? The amount of goods that might seek to enter mainland EU via Ireland from the UK must be very small. It would be easy enough to implement, would bring customs jobs to Wexford and Cork, and carrying out an adminstrative check "in the celtic sea" is far less politically sensitive as an administrative check "in the Irish sea".

If France and Benelux play ball and it wont be too onerous, why not look into it? It may mean sacrificing national pride, but I think we are above such petty squabbling, especially if it means extra EU money to pay our civil servants.

Yes it would be.
    We have asked for none of this. This is not our issue to resolve. We have been told repeatedly by some of those in parliament that there is a solution involving technology right there, and yet the UK have done nothing to source or investigate it. They haven't even feigned any respect towards us by putting their plans and system to tender.

Instead we would end up having to be the nanny for a UK export market the integrity of which is beyond our control, not to mention jeopardising the quality of our own domestic market, and thus the integrity of any and all of our exports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

J Mysterio wrote: »

I saw this this morning, strangely coincidental.

https://twitter.com/AgataGostynska/status/1087326392260411392

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Call me Al wrote: »
    Yes it would be.
    We have asked for none of this. This is not our issue to resolve. We have been told repeatedly by some of those in parliament that there is a solution involving technology right there, and yet the UK have done nothing to source or investigate it. They haven't even feigned any respect towards us by putting their plans and system to tender.

Instead we would end up having to be the nanny for a UK export market the integrity of which is beyond our control, not to mention jeopardising the quality of our own domestic market, and thus the integrity of any and all of our exports.
    I'm not sure they haven't looked into it and found, quite correctly, that the proposed "technological solution" works quite well on goods originating in the UK and being exported to the EU, but does not solve the serious problem of EU goods (and perhaps more importantly third-country goods correctly imported into the EU on bi-lateral treaties) entering into the UK through Northern Ireland.

In order to comply with WTO rules, the UK will need to ensure that these goods are correctly taxed and it's not as easy with that many goods from the EU and abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

When do they vote on " Plan B "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He seems to have dropped his Battle of Britain theme in subsequent posts
    https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1087351430518845440

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I'm not sure they haven't looked into it and found, quite correctly, that the proposed "technological solution" works quite well on goods originating in the UK and being exported to the EU, but does not solve the serious problem of EU goods (and perhaps more importantly third-country goods correctly imported into the EU on bi-lateral treaties) entering into the UK through Northern Ireland.

In order to comply with WTO rules, the UK will need to ensure that these goods are correctly taxed and it's not as easy with that many goods from the EU and abroad.

This may be the case Freudian, I haven't read any coverage of this being the case, but it isn't stopping the ERG still throwing it on the table as an apparent example of just how unreasonable and uncooperative us Irish are being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,285 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Poland's angle (policy or off-the-cuff by talking head) is irrelevant. They have no recent credibility and no traction with the big players.

The UK tabloids' take on it is even less relevant. They could characterise Varadkar as the divil incarnate here to eat their children and it would make no difference to anything. What matters is that the senior officials in Iveagh House, Whitehall and on Barnier's task group know that the Irish position is as simple as it is consistent: we did not create this problem; we will protect the society of two jurisdictions on one island that has been fostered under the GFA; when UK decides what it wants, we will consider any proposals which facilitate both objectives, but none that threaten to destabilise ours.

I expect nothing less than absolute support for this from the big dogs among the 27, and frankly from them all if it gets a bit fraught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

We don't know yet . Today is just her telling us what Plan B is .

I think TM is appearing in HoC at 15:30, not sure exactly what the procedure there is after she addresses HoC, but presumably people will be waiting to table motions (etc.) if they're not happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I wonder what Plan B is

branie2 wrote: »
    I wonder what Plan B is
    Honestly, from the reporting this morning, it doesn't sound like she actually has one... which is odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,299 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The Remainers voice is only loud because of the the absolute lies told in the first referendum. If there was another vote now on her deal, and it was 60% leave the Remainers would have no voice, and it solves this problem very fast. Let them vote again, let them vote 70% leave. I really don't get why the people can't vote on her deal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Honestly, from the reporting this morning, it doesn't sound like she actually has one... which is odd.
    Ho so?
    She hasn't had anything new to offer Westminster since the EU gave her the WA so how can she have an alternative plan?

Ho so?
    She hasn't had anything new to offer Westminster since the EU gave her the WA so how can she have an alternative plan?
    It would be odd if she genuinely shows up and goes "I have no plan B" - I'm not sure what the reaction to that would be. She must have some movement from her position last week or else what's the point in all of this? :confused:

I know there has been no reported movement on the EU side, but surely TM has used the last week to come up with something... anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bit of a long shot, but she might be planning to cancel Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

She has 4 choices.

1. No deal
    2. No Brexit
    3. Current deal
    4. Pass a new deal and see if the EU likes it after. Someone Hong like current deal with a time limited backstop.

4 seems like the only option she can face Parliament with and so is my bet. It seems likely that any change will be unpalatable for the EU but she needs to survive the day so who cares about that.

Guardian reporting not until February.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/21/no-second-vote-on-brexit-deal-likely-before-february-says-no-10
    May’s spokesman said the vote due to be held on 29 January was not “a second meaningful vote” and the government’s motion would not spell out in detail the next stage of the prime minister’s plan to get a Brexit agreement through parliament.

Also sounds like today is going to be a total waste of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I can't see her saying anything other than her plan is now to go back to the EU and ask for some reassurances of the reassurances of the reassurances over the backstop. That of course being a totally different plan to the previous one where there wasn't the extra reassurances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

murphaph wrote: »
    Let's be careful not to conflate one alleged Polish minister's comment with the position of the Polish government/state. We have seen how comments are easily taken out of context in the UK press and ran with. Sure don't the readership of the Daily Express still think Varadkar "threatened" to close Irish airspace to UK carriers.

In fairness, this is not some polish nobody, but their foreign minister.

With our exposure to British press, it's easy to forget that this is not an all consuming issue on the continent, and something that could become a bit of a political football. It's somewhat surprising that it hasn't already.

In any case, fracturing the EU position won't help the UK. The issues are entirely domestic and it's not the backstop that is the problem with the right of the Tory party, but the idea of a compromise with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

robinph wrote: »
    I can't see her saying anything other than her plan is now to go back to the EU and ask for some reassurances of the reassurances of the reassurances over the backstop. That of course being a totally different plan to the previous one where there wasn't the extra reassurances.

It does sound like she's tacking up her dead horse for another spin to Brussels. I'm not sure how many times she needs to be told there will be no new deal before she admits defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Christy42 wrote: »
    She has 4 choices.

1. No deal
    2. No Brexit
    3. Current deal
    4. Pass a new deal and see if the EU likes it after. Someone Hong like current deal with a time limited backstop.

4 seems like the only option she can face Parliament with and so is my bet. It seems likely that any change will be unpalatable for the EU but she needs to survive the day so who cares about that.

MPs have a bigger problems with her deal than just backstop though. She might be hoping that she get a comprimise on backstop and its enough to put it up to the HOC as a choice between her deal or a hard brexit

Personally I think she's goosed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement