Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently Philip Hammond didn't want to discuss the future of Europe in Davos
    UK chancellor of the exchequer Philip Hammond has pulled out of a key Davos panel on Thursday morning to discuss the future of Europe, on which the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is appearing.

The updated schedule for the World Economic Forum panel says that Mr Varadkar will be joined by Dutch counterpart Mark Rutte and Polish prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki.

The issue of the Northern Ireland backstop is expected to feature on the panel, at a time when British prime minister Theresa May is seeking to secure approval for her withdrawal agreement.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/uk-s-philip-hammond-pulls-out-of-davos-panel-with-taoiseach-1.3769102

https://www.ft.com/content/e24d2ef6-1fb9-11e9-b126-46fc3ad87c65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

robinph wrote: »
    One of the main UK Airbus, and the associated Rolls Royce engines, sites being right in the middle of one of constituencies for a full on Brexit supporting MP, who recently had an affair with another MP and they call the resulting sprog "Brexit" as it was born around the time of the referendum.

The major employer in his constituency that will not operate out side of the EU, and he's still convinced that Brexit is a good thing.

Airbus seems to be moving to Pratt & Whitney (US) and CFM International (France/US) engines for their A220, A320, A350 and the A380 is using the Engine Alliance (GE/Pratt & Whitney).

They still have options for the RR engines on the A330, but I think they are also offering Engine Alliance going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Enzokk wrote: »
    I think you will find that Airbus has paid back all the RLI already. In fact the aid they have received for models like the A320 is still being paid a long time after the original amount has been settled because that is the way they were structured, that as long as deliveries still continue that there will be levy on each one. Seeing that the A320 alone has a backlog of about 6000 aircraft it is clear that there are two winners here.

The clue is in the official name, Repayable Launch Aid.

OPINION: A320 has repaid faith of Airbus - and governments

2 The Aerospace Industry

Quite clearly it was a mistake, but if you had "Remainers" in charge of the negotiations then the Brexiters would only blame them for not delivering the promised land of the referendum campaign. By putting those who brought about Brexit in charge you lay the blame at their door as well.
    I think there may be RLI outstanding on the A380 though? Could be wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Brexit is a direct result of the popularity of social media which keeps you in a bubble and feeds you only what you want to hear whether it be true or not.

I'm inclined to disagree. Older people are more likely to vote than younger people and are also less likely to hold social media accounts. I'd say decades of negativity, vitriol and deceit have done more for Brexit than echo chambers.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd say that was intentionally to show that the rest of the world is moving on and is not interested in eternally dealing with the UK and their issues.

That's what I thought myself. Some are complaining they're avoiding the elephant in the room, but I like to think it's for reasons you say. Meanwhile Katya Adler from the BBC is still musing aloud as to what mechanism the EU may use to for their climb down from their backstop stance.

And geographically where's Ireland in the minds of Brexit and Remainer voters? Ireland, what's Ireland?
    For both Leave and Remain voters, Ireland was often entirely absent, as was Africa.

Are there no maps in the UK?

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1088332296497909760

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Brexit is a direct result of the popularity of social media which keeps you in a bubble and feeds you only what you want to hear whether it be true or not.

No it's a direct result of creating have's and have not's in a society. You leave a lot of people behind and this is the reuslt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm inclined to disagree. Older people are more likely to vote than younger people and are also less likely to hold social media accounts. I'd say decades of negativity, vitriol and deceit have done more for Brexit than echo chambers.

I think the media has largely failed in remaining impartial when discussing Brexit.

This tweet from the chief political commentator of the BBC could hardly be interpreted as anything other than derogatory towards Corbyn/Labour.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1088173584286134274

I think they have influenced their viewers in a manner similar to social media and which many more older people might be paying attention to. I agree though, it is because this has been going on for several decades that the public swell grew to vote to leave.

Believe it or not, social media is actually more popular with middle age and older generations. It's that negativity, vitriol and deceit which is inescapable and drip fed by social media outlets without ever giving you the other point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

No it's a direct result of creating have's and have not's in a society. You leave a lot of people behind and this is the reuslt.

Totally agree. It’s the same with with Trump and his success in America. If you have nothing you want radical change. Of course any country which has a leader based on hierarchy is doomed to inequality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭trellheim

As I said before, the Tories need those 10 votes to remain in Government.
    Yes indeed ; if they had not had the DUP onside or the DUP had abstained in the confidence motion last week, then the UK Government would have fallen by one or two votes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

It's all of it - you can not single a thread out of the tangled mess.

The older generation buy the small-minded tory rags with their years of mind numbing BS. The Daily Fail cracked me up a few months ago headlining a story of Peter and Amanda (or who ever..) a young couple, saved for their own 1 bedroom tiny mortgaged house by living in a garden shed and eating grass for 5 years. Round of applause numpties, all hail these beautiful idiots while we gather up all your spare cash and prevent you from accessing basic services because the poor country can't afford any.

Ha! And I am not even a leftie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

In all this confusion and uncertainty sterling is holding up reasonably well. I think a Euro was 0.87 sterling this morning.
    Are the currency markets quietly confident this will be all sorted out before March or is it just the calm before the storm. I'm no expert in this field but it affects me considerably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Which is a direct result of UK government policy over the last decade. The only support going to diasadvantaged areas of the UK was from the EU. The party of the haves is the Tory party. You do realise that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

joe40 wrote: »
    In all this confusion and uncertainty sterling is holding up reasonably well. I think a Euro was 0.87 sterling this morning.
    Are the currency markets quietly confident this will be all sorted out before March or is it just the calm before the storm. I'm no expert in this field but it affects me considerably

It's the only logical explanation for the recent increase in the pound's value, it's gone up quite a bit (although still miles away from what it was before the referendum). The recent statements from the EU show that they're not going to back down to the UK so that will hopefully force Parliament to intervene and stop a no-deal Brexit from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sir Ivan Rogers (until 2017 the Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the European Union) has given another noteworthy speech.

Both the text (31 pages) and the video (1 Hr 10 min) are available at the link below.

Sir Ivan Rogers Speech to UCL European Institute

Contained within

He draws 4 main conclusions.

First, Article 50 can, for all its oddities, probably can work as an exit route.
    Second, we have to understand how the EU works and negotiates, because
    we shall, like it or not, not ever be floating free of ties and responsibilities in
    the mid-Atlantic.
    Third, baselines – where you start from - matter in negotiations.
    Fourth and finally, one cannot rule out an extension of Article 50.

One of Theresa May's biggest mistakes was appointing people like David Davis, Boris Johnson to key roles in her government at the outset of negotiations while people like Rogers, with extensive experience of the EU were pushed to the sidelines and alienated because what they were saying was unpalatable.

I don't disagree with the points you highlight as notable, but I think the most substantive aspects of both this address and his one from December are his comments on the UK Service industry, a topic avoided in UK media and political discourse because of its complexity. The focus of all conversations is on goods and tariffs as they are a lot less complex and easy to grasp. Meanwhile a massive hit is coming to UK services or, at least, a number of Brexit 'red lines' will necessarily be traversed for Britain to retain broad levels of access to the service market of a global rules maker like the EU. He articulates these issues quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'm not an expert either but I've been looking at the GBP/EU exchange rates since the Brexit vote and it seems that there is growing optimism in the past month. This has to be related to the increased likelihood that parliament will defy whips and block no deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sir Ivan Rogers (until 2017 the Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the European Union) has given another noteworthy speech.

Both the text (31 pages) and the video (1 Hr 10 min) are available at the link below.

Sir Ivan Rogers Speech to UCL European Institute

Contained within

He draws 4 main conclusions.

First, Article 50 can, for all its oddities, probably can work as an exit route.
    Second, we have to understand how the EU works and negotiates, because
    we shall, like it or not, not ever be floating free of ties and responsibilities in
    the mid-Atlantic.
    Third, baselines – where you start from - matter in negotiations.
    Fourth and finally, one cannot rule out an extension of Article 50.

One of Theresa May's biggest mistakes was appointing people like David Davis, Boris Johnson to key roles in her government at the outset of negotiations while people like Rogers, with extensive experience of the EU were pushed to the sidelines and alienated because what they were saying was unpalatable.

If May had sent Johnson to the backbenches then it's quite probably she wouldn't be PM now. Johnson was brought back in and made FS in order to stop him having the time to launch and coordinate a campaign against her. If you remember, Johnson was doing his utmost to be sacked, until he found something he could martyr himself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The market are assuming a No Deal Brexit will not happen. Hence the valuation. If a No Deal happens, the value of sterling will drop like a stone, likely below parity with the Euro at least.

Middle aged and a bit older people have social media and from listening to my mother and her friends about it it's a very diffrent version than I use.

The European Parliament itself is something that slipped to the back of my mind anyway in terms of Brexit, but today they came out with this statement, further knocking the idea from Britain that they can just go back to the EU negotiation team and renegotiate the backstop.
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1088375801500831744

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1088402063736913920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭sandbelter

Airbus seems to be moving to Pratt & Whitney (US) and CFM International (France/US) engines for their A220, A320, A350 and the A380 is using the Engine Alliance (GE/Pratt & Whitney).

They still have options for the RR engines on the A330, but I think they are also offering Engine Alliance going forward.

Airbus offers RR option for A330 (it's exclusive on the NEO), A380 and RR is exclusive on the A350.

Boeing is increasingly linking exclusively up with GE (B777x and B748i are examples), Airbus are crucial for RR as they have always welcomed RR engines on their products, and they only have to look at Pratt and Whitney to see what the alternative looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hurrache wrote: »
    That's what I thought myself. Some are complaining they're avoiding the elephant in the room, but I like to think it's for reasons you say. Meanwhile Katya Adler from the BBC is still musing aloud as to what mechanism the EU may use to for their climb down from their backstop stance.

And geographically where's Ireland in the minds of Brexit and Remainer voters? Ireland, what's Ireland?

Are there no maps in the UK?

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1088332296497909760

I always find these "draw the map" and "compare how many people hold a passport" exercises a little bit churlish and disingenuous.

The same point could have been made , but much more sincerely, by asking a few simple questions relating to brexit:

- What is brexit? (In the basic sense, not in the convoluted sense posed these days knowing full well there is no correct answer)
    - Have you ever traveled to mainland Europe?
    - What does this potentially mean for travelling to mainland Europe in the future?
    - etc etc.

It would paint the exact same picture I'd wager but their responses and how informed they are would actually offer some insight into important questions Re: "were people sold a lie?". Instead of asking someone to draw the world map to scale and then laughing when they can't because I'd also wager that a damn sight high % of the educated population in any country of the world can't either.
    I think the media has largely failed in remaining impartial when discussing Brexit.

This tweet from the chief political commentator of the BBC could hardly be interpreted as anything other than derogatory towards Corbyn/Labour.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1088173584286134274

I think they have influenced their viewers in a manner similar to social media and which many more older people might be paying attention to. I agree though, it is because this has been going on for several decades that the public swell grew to vote to leave.

You have to remember the old "Tweets are my own" biscuit though and then attempt to judge their performance solely objectively on whatever programme on whatever broadcaster they're appearing on at the time and not through the prism of their "personal" views.

Which is a load of nonsense btw. They broadcast their "personal" views on their social media accounts and through opinion pieces which, no matter what disclaimer is used, will inherently colour people's perception of them, including most importantly the guests which they invite on their shows.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I always find these "draw the map" and "compare how many people hold a passport" exercises a little bit churlish and disingenuous.

Maybe so in the case of you're given a blank atlas and have to fill in the names, but when you can't draw your immediate neighbour on a map, that's saying something.

Maybe it's all those years of only showing the 6 counties on the weather maps that conditioned them.

The Independent yet again being called out for writing inaccurate stories shocker. How many is that this week alone on the topic of Brexit?

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/1088401748585267200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    You have to remember the old "Tweets are my own" biscuit though and then attempt to judge their performance solely objectively on whatever programme on whatever broadcaster they're appearing on at the time and not through the prism of their "personal" views.

Which is a load of nonsense btw. They broadcast their "personal" views on their social media accounts and through opinion pieces which, no matter what disclaimer is used, will inherently colour people's perception of them, including most importantly the guests which they invite on their shows.

I know. Which is partially why I found the Neil tweet interesting when he had the bust up with Owen Jones on this week two weeks ago. He was accused then of being ultra supportive of the right, he is not concerned about enforcing that view with tweets such as the above.

Maybe so in the case of you're given a blank atlas and have to fill in the names, but when you can't draw your immediate neighbour on a map, that's saying something.

Maybe it's all those years of only showing the 6 counties on the weather maps that conditioned them.

It doesn't really say much of anything without knowing more about the survey and the conditions it was held under.

I'm not sure for what issue regarding Brexit "draw us a world map" would even be considered the best method of coaxing an honest response from people. If anything it immediately muddies the water by not accounting for the participants ability to structure scale and perspective while sketching. And is a sketch even to be considered a wholly accurate representation of the subject or is it just a general.........sketch?

Anyway, my point is that there were surely better ways of asking the same question that would've yielded much more information. Only those tend not to look as well in PowerPoint.

I think you're over complicating the point that when some people were asked to draw a map, they omitted Ireland. I'm not talking about mercator projection issues or anything more complicated than that.

I know. Which is partially why I found the Neil tweet interesting when he had the bust up with Owen Jones on this week two weeks ago. He was accused then of being ultra supportive of the right, he is not concerned about enforcing that view with tweets such as the above.

The Neil-Jones thing goes back much much further though than the latest appearance on "This Week". The shot at Corbyn is due to Corbyn having supported Chavez/Maduro in the past.
    I think you're over complicating the point that when some people were asked to draw a map, they omitted Ireland. I'm not talking about mercator projection issues or anything more complicated than that.

Ah I know, my response is meant more tongue-in-cheek than it probably reads.

In my personal opinion, exercises such as that only serve to cheapen the point they're trying to make is all i.e. it's guilty of all the things we criticise media for nowadays. Those who already agreed with the point will use it as a stick to point and laugh at the opposition while those who already disagreed with the point to begin with will label it as a childish way of attempting to misrepresent them. The net-net is that nobody's opinion will change but an opportunity has been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Damian Hinds getting an absolute roasting on Daily Politics. Can't respond to comments on data (or lack of same) surrounding FTA's, or comments surrounding the internal feud and machinations of the Tories.
    Well at least he knows what regulatory alignment is which is something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭trellheim

the pol corrs are getting themselves worked up in a circle something awful .

1. The EU says "in the event of a no deal there will have to be a huge amount of work done to avoid a border " (said work implying the UK stays in the EU and so forth )

this leads to a truly silly logic jump from the poll corrs

2. "so why need the backstop at all ? Surely its not needed therefore "

AAAARGGGG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement