Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,547 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I really like this line from the BBC article:

So what is the alternative to the backstop that has been proposed? Seems to me that the alternative is to simply remove it and take up the option of the additional year of transition that was already provided for the WA.

But what will the EU make of this? Effectively, the UK is putting off leaving the EU until at least Jan 2022. That would the UK more than enough to quite down the more extreme elements within the HoC and possibly even cancel the whole thing altogether. It may be hoped that putting it off until at least 2022, and probably further, will end up with the majority simply giving up on the whole thing.

But it avoids a hard border, at least until 2022, avoids any change in the budget, avoids any problems with trade etc.

But all it really does it push the can down the road. But there is a lot to be said for pushing things like this down the road.
    It avoids a hard border until 2022 or later, but makes it a virtual certainty at that point, surely?

Which is not "kicking the can down the road"; it's deciding that there will be a hard border. The EU will not go for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Meanwhile they continue to rip themselves apart internally? Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
    Yeah. Nobody (with the possible exception of the very slow learners in the HoC) wants the can kicked any further down the road. It will just give more time for the exodus of industry and financial services. Death by a trillion cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,435 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It avoids a hard border until 2022 or later, but makes it a virtual certainty at that point, surely?

Which is not "kicking the can down the road"; it's deciding that there will be a hard border. The EU will not go for this.

While they cannot explicit acknowledge it's the reason, I can't see the EU going for anything that emanates from the ERG wing.

While they cannot explicit acknowledge it's the reason, I can't see the EU going for anything that emanates from the ERG wing.
    The EU don't care about provenance. As far as they're concerned, they engage with what emanates from HMG. Where HMG get their ideas is a matter of indifference to the EU.

But they do care about substance. Whatever emanates from HMG will not be acceptable unless it meets the EU's objectives, which include an assurance that a hard border will not eventuate. And (from the descriptions we've seen so far in the media) this proposal is going to fall at that hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Strazdas wrote: »
    You never see the hard Brexiteers being tackled like this on the BBC - they are allowed spout their lies and rubbish at will

I can’t agree. I have started watching RTÉ news at 6 for the last couple of weeks. Have never seen it before. And I am amazed at how the journalists and politicians seem to be supporting each other. No real challenge at all to current thinking. Eg I never here the challenge that roi uncompromising position on the backstop is the very thing that may lead to a no deal. (Please I’m not debating that again I am simply say I never see it put strongly to politician by RTÉ).
    I find little questioning on here of roi position and I think that is partly because you are not being challenged by you own media.
    For anyone to say that the British media eg bbc is pro brexit is absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The EU don't care about provenance. As far as they're concerned, they engage with what emanates from HMG. Where HMG get their ideas is a matter of indifference to the EU.

But they do care about substance. Whatever emanates from HMG will not be acceptable unless it meets the EU's objectives, which include an assurance that a hard border will not eventuate. And (from the descriptions we've seen so far in the media) this proposal is going to fall at that hurdle.

True, but there is a very real risk that failure to amend the WA will lead to a hard brexit, with the hard border. Both things the EU want to try to avoid.

One of the points during the last 2 years is that the EU were better to stay at the table talking rather than walking away when it appeared to many that the UK were not engaging. The point being that walking away 100% meant no deal and hard border whilst staying may not avoid that it gave at least some chance.

So why not continue that policy now? Would it not be better to keep everything as it is now for a further 3 years in the hope that sanity will eventually prevail?

(BTW I am only asking the question in terms of a possible EU response and to get other people opinions, I don't agree that the EU should allow this)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭20silkcut

VinLieger wrote: »
    In what way do you mean?

If there is economic hardship in this country due to Brexit how would you like to see Britain treated in trade negotiations etc post brexit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It occurred to me that I hadn't looked at all on Wikipedia in relation to Brexit, and found these gems this morning. Someone has been diligently collating the results of lots of polls, and it creates an amazing picture:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#Post-referendum_polling

One set of polls ask if leaving the EU is the right or wrong decision, the other is basically a re-run of the Remain/Leave question.

Rather than, as one would expect, a slow change in attitudes over time, both polls shift to the other side immediately following the UK General Election.

While one could argue that the "common man on the street" doesn't know enough about Brexit, if we take a wisdom of the crowd view of this data, it seems like the UK electorate knew straight away, as early as June 2017, that the Government which Theresa May had cobbled together was incapable of getting Brexit over the line.

downcow wrote: »
    I can’t agree. I have started watching RTÉ news at 6 for the last couple of weeks. Have never seen it before. And I am amazed at how the journalists and politicians seem to be supporting each other. No real challenge at all to current thinking. Eg I never here the challenge that roi uncompromising position on the backstop is the very thing that may lead to a no deal. (Please I’m not debating that again I am simply say I never see it put strongly to politician by RTÉ).
    I find little questioning on here of roi position and I think that is partly because you are not being challenged by you own media.

Because the arguments for Brexit have been debunked many times already. Why would the main news program for Ireland bother rehashing already debunked stuff.

"In news today, I know we covered the total loack of any plan for Brexit many times before, but in the interests of balance we are going to have yet another Brexiteer on to spout more soundbites with no susbstance".

Where does that get anyone? A position of "We don't want a hard border but are actively working on stopping anything that may avoid it" is not a debatable position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,435 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Because the deal May got is full of compromises from the EU (and therefore Ireland)?

Because the Brexiteers (and DUP) are whinging 'victim' doesn't mean that other media orgs have to take up that tired cudgel for them.

I have watched RTE's news coverage all my life and I have to say they have aired a very balanced range of opinion on Brexit, across TV and Radio. They had Farage on last night who has disappeared off British media from what I can see.

• Advertisement

True, but there is a very real risk that failure to amend the WA will lead to a hard brexit, with the hard border. Both things the EU want to try to avoid.
    Yes, but amending it may also lead to a hard border. And that would be much worse than a crash-out hard border , because that would be an agreed hard border.

I'd have no problem, in principle, with amendments to the WA which didn't increase the possiblitiy of a a hard border. But in practice (a) at this point there's very little time to negotiate amendments to the WA, and (b) the amendments the UK is likely to look for are all likely to increase the risk of a hard border.
    One of the points during the last 2 years is that the EU were better to stay at the table talking rather than walking away when it appeared to many that the UK were not engaging. The point being that walking away 100% meant no deal and hard border whilst staying may not avoid that it gave at least some chance.

So why not continue that policy now? Would it not be better to keep everything as it is now for a further 3 years in the hope that sanity will eventually prevail?
    Because the UK aren't looking to "keep everything as it is now"; they're looking to leave the EU with a Withdrawal Agreement. That's a big change.

"Keeping everything as it is now" would require an extension of the A50 period (which would keep things as they are now temporarily) or withdrawal of the A50 notice (which would keep things as they are now indefinitely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

20silkcut wrote: »
    If there is economic hardship in this country due to Brexit how would you like to see Britain treated in trade negotiations etc post brexit ?

This should hopefully answer your question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Are you having a laugh, the British media, with notable exceptions for the Guardian and the Times have been pro Brexit. The BBC is interesting, it is always pro-government, whatever their policy is, I could see remain bias before the referendum, but seems to be aiding to push the withdrawal deal through. Humphreys and Neil excepted of course. Adler has been dire and Kuenssberg is more interested in gossip than news.

The situation in the UK, media wise is not too dissimilar to the crash here. Irish people had to look to foreign media for a clear appraisal of the unvarnished story, domestic media had too much skin in the game. Tony Connolly for RTE has been excellent and should be required reading for those that claim to be politically informed in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Meanwhile they continue to rip themselves apart internally? Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
    A 1, 2, 5 year can-kick down the road won't make things worse, it will at worst mean the disaster happens then instead of March 29th, and it leaves more time for the HoC to ameliorate or just cancel the disaster.

So I think the EU will be OK with a can-kicking exercise. But this ERG plan is not simply kicking the can, it is killing the backstop, and then pretending it doesn't matter because it won't happen until 2021.

No - we would prefer you to crash and burn now, call us when you are cool with putting the backstop in place again thx bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Anyone see Lord Saatchi’s “Lead not leave” campaign?
    They want immigration control and the same voting rights as Germany in exchange for remaining? Incredible stuff.
    https://www.channel4.com/news/conservative-peer-lord-maurice-saatchi-result-of-referendum-was-were-not-sure-we-cant-decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Malthouse Compromise is a proposal to keep the Tory party together, nothing more. It excludes the reality of the outside world.
    EU asks why should we agree? ERG and Tories blame EU for intransigence.
    Mogg and Baker pretending they are compromising when in fact, they are pushing hard towards the cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sorry, but the UK voted to leave, not Ireland. This whole situation was created by Britain, and you want to blame the Irish for the mess?

The terms of the Good Friday agreement state there has to be regulatory alignment across both sides of the Irish border. The UK signed that agreement & now want to break from those terms...And that's somehow Ireland's fault?

I try not to get stuck in an echo chamber, but the nonsense you post a lot of the time just edges me closer to sticking you on a block list, because you're not arguing your case in good faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The erg plan C is basically a timelimited backstop. You have to hand it to these lads, they've finally squared the circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Anyone have a link to what amendments are being voted on what what potential affect they could have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That ERG plan

It's pretty short on detail actually. In fact it's probably unkind to say that a junior cert student would have done a better job of producing a plan like that. It really looks like something that started life on the back of a fag packet and was padded out a bit to fill a page.

And just in case there was any doubt, Peston reports that it's gone down like a comedy sketch in Brussels.

• Advertisement

Also IDS when asked about them agreeing to the €39bn claimed it was a compromise!

So paying back your financial obligations is now a compromise? I must get onto my bank looking for what they are going to offer me to continue to pay off my car loan

The EU know it's important not to let any daft notion get momentum and credence, kill it off early. Dead in the water, the Thames estuary, got no further.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/29/amendments-to-may-statement-brexit-bill

This shows the amendments tabled so far, Bercow has not yet said which will be voted on.

20silkcut wrote: »
    how would you like to see Britain treated in trade negotiations etc post brexit ?

Trade negotiations are about finding a deal which makes both sides better off. So I would not like to see England punished for leaving, I would like to see them thrive so that we can get rich trading with them.

However, there is the issue of the border, and the fact that they have shown their word is worthless. So after a hard Brexit, I would like EU negotiators to tell the UK team that trade talks will not start until the UK pays its divorce bill and puts EU citizens rights and the backstop in legislation and passes that legislation.

Water John wrote: »
    The EU know it's important not to let any daft notion get momentum and credence, kill it off early. Dead in the water, the Thames estuary, got no further.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/29/amendments-to-may-statement-brexit-bill

This shows the amendments tabled so far, Bercow has not yet said which will be voted on.

Gotta love H "create a 250 person citizens assemble that can devise possible ways to move forward on brexit"....... in the 2 months that's left

Gotta love H "create a 250 person citizens assemble that can devise possible ways to move forward on brexit"....... in the 2 months that's left

It may be that the folks proposing this stuff know that it should have happened before A50, and they plan (by piling up things to do before Brexit) to make a case for pulling A50 and starting from scratch.

Withdrawing A50 is the one last minute action that the UK can do without further negotiations or agreement from anyone else - they just need a motion passed in Westminster to authorise it.

It may be that the folks proposing this stuff know that it should have happened before A50, and they plan (by piling up things to do before Brexit) to make a case for pulling A50 and starting from scratch.

Withdrawing A50 is the one last minute action that the UK can do without further negotiations or agreement from anyone else - they just need a motion passed in Westminster to authorise it.

I will never understand why she rushed on A50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Citizens assembly is a joke, used here by Enda Kenny to avoid having to come up with his own policy on abortion.

A CA in the UK will have the same (valid) criticism that was leveled at the one here: it will be stuffed with people who do not form a representative sample, only the politically interested and those with the time and money to participate. An assembly already exists for the purpose of legislating, the HoC.

A CA is about process and that takes time.
    Would like to see your evidence that the CA in Ireland were hand picked or biased.

Sorry to say TM rushed Art 50 because she's not very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Trade negotiations are about finding a deal which makes both sides better off. So I would not like to see England punished for leaving, I would like to see them thrive so that we can get rich trading with them.

However, there is the issue of the border, and the fact that they have shown their word is worthless. So after a hard Brexit, I would like EU negotiators to tell the UK team that trade talks will not start until the UK pays its divorce bill and puts EU citizens rights and the backstop in legislation and passes that legislation.

Would that not make leaving look like a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Citizens assembly is a joke, used here by Enda Kenny to avoid having to come up with his own policy on abortion.

The Citiziens Assembly was a tremendous success, and has been analysed and praised outside of Ireland as a model that can be used elsewhere. It was only praised this morning by a Labour MP, his only hesitation was how well it would translate to a country with a much larger population.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement