Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tusk says agreement is not open for renegotiation and the backstop is integral to it.

May can act the hard chaw all she likes in London but she will be sent packing in Brussels if we are to take the EU at face value.
    Yes but now she can claim that the EU are blocking an orderly Brexit. It will be sold to Westminster that May had a perfect solution and the faceless unelected bureaucrats in Brussels blocked Britain just to punish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was he expecting something else?

Knowing these guys I wouldn't be surprised they expected an invitation to talks in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Itsme123

One suggestion, let us build a beatifull wall and let the Brits pay for it!
    The Trumpian geniouses seem to think that that is the technological solution, that solves all problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Are the Tories actually in some way mentally challenged. They are living in some kind of ridiculous alternative reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Russman

So it looks like it’s a hard Brexit now, surely after all their strong statements of late, the EU can’t be seen to cave ?
    Unless this is the point where the DUP go under the bus and the backstop is limited to NI and it passes with support from a few Labour MPs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The delusion here of course is that they crash out and the British border in Ireland just goes away as an obstacle to them getting what they want.
    When they come back for a deal (which they will have to have) the British border is still going to have to be sorted out within the terms of the current deal and the GFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

According to the BBC; Donald Tusk is not budging on the backstop within the WA at all.

Very clear message there to TM & her government.

He'd be insane to. The Brexiteers are as divided as ever......changing the WA would be a recipe for disaster (Brexiteers would start kicking off again and demanding more concessions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Westminster has shown itself to be totally unfit for purpose. Just a chamber full of little posh boys and girls who live in a bubble all their lives and got everything handed to them. When it comes to actually doing something tangible like doing a deal or agreeing on something they're totally incapable. sad really

The Medieval practices within the so called debates is completely ridiculous. Referring to each as the Right honourable etc. Is this democracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ is not leading with Brexit on the Nine O'Clock news. Leading with the nurses strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ha Sky News reporter (can't remember her name) telling Boris "You lot are deluded"

• Advertisement

Next phase of the blame game has begun. May goes to Brussels with big smiles and warm words, pledging to battle for the British people.

Unless she's invited, or there's already scheduled talks, she's not going. Johnson being called out as deluded and laughed at by Beth on Sky News.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more insults please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

I wonder would diggers along the border errecting a solid construction between Northern Ireland and the Republic make London move a little faster??? Its wake up time for the DUP and WM

Beth Rigby to Boris Johnson on Sky News just now: "Just as she (May) rides off on her unicorn to Brussels". Brilliant.

I wonder would diggers along the border errecting a solid construction between Northern Ireland and the Republic make London move a little faster??? Its wake up time for the DUP and WM
    How? That would suit their plans nicely.
    We don't want a border of any kind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Beth Rigby turning the screw on BoJo on Sky. It's delightful.

(I take back what I said earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Russman wrote: »
    So it looks like it’s a hard Brexit now, surely after all their strong statements of late, the EU can’t be seen to cave ?
    Unless this is the point where the DUP go under the bus and the backstop is limited to NI and it passes with support from a few Labour MPs ?

Could the EU cave? We still don't know what Westminster wants. They seem to want a change to the backstop. What that is nobody has said. Just that something should definitely be done about the border.

Two months out and that something should definitely be done about the border is the best that they have managed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

How? That would suit their plans nicely.
    We don't want a border of any kind!

We dont always get what we want......at some point reality has to kick in. Having grown up along the border in the 80s-90s I also dont want it, however its time to sort this problem out and to stop the UK taking the mick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What makes you think they give a damn? If anything DUP would bring out the band and serve tea and biscuits to the diggers as they think it will ensure they remain British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The Medieval practices within the so called debates is completely ridiculous. Referring to each as the Right honourable etc. Is this democracy?

Its just a show to make themselves feel godlike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Russman

I’m just listening to him now, saying the EU want a deal.........
    This is going to get very messy and very embarrassing for some side and I don’t think it’s the EU.
    Yet part of me still thinks they can’t be that stupid. It’s a truly bizarre situation.
    Reeling in the Years in 10 years time will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nody wrote: »
    What makes you think they give a damn? If anything DUP would bring out the band and serve tea and biscuits to the diggers as they think it will ensure they remain British.

They'd start painting the barriers blue red and white

We dont always get what we want......at some point reality has to kick in. Having grown up along the border in the 80s-90s I also dont want it, however its time to sort this problem out and to stop the UK taking the mick
    By giving them exactly what they want?
    Are you sure that you've thought this through fully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

This is so horribly depressing. When Yvette Cooper's amendment lost.. gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Boris is on BBC saying the Brady Amendment is very specific without specifying anything what the amendment is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I had thought at first that this proves that the agreement would get through the HoC without the backstop. But then I realised it proves nothing of the sort. Voting on a meaningless amendment that nobody realistically believes will achieve anything is not in the same league as voting for an agreement that they cannot unvote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There is a certain Rolling Stones song in my head about getting what you need. The BBC radio talking heads later will be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are wrong if there is a hard border.

Its about perception. It's the events that lead to a hard border that count, not the hard border itself. The UK Parliament have today ripped up the Good Friday agreement. Any hard border that comes out of what happened today in Parliament is solely down to The Tories, The DUP and certain elements of the Labour party.
    It would be political suicide for Fine Gael and the EU to renege on the Good Friday Agreement in the next 59 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have you seen the Swiss guards at the Vatican? That is real medieval.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement