Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So lets play this out.

TM goes to the EU and convinces them to reopen the WA, EU doing so to try to avoid hard Brexit as the UK are incapable.
    EU agree to remove the backstop but agree that NI should remain in the EU until at least a unification ref is undertaken in NI.
    The UK will remain in The EU during this time as well, the UK limiting it to no later than mid 2021 to remain in the transition.

So TM has removed the backstop so clearly this will pass the Hoc. Everybody wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just had a quick look at the Brexit odds on PP. Still seems to be a bit of confidence that there won't be a no-deal and/or there will be a second referendum. Are these odds out of date, good value, or are the bookies just taking into consideration things that I am not, because right now I'm having a hard time seeing how no-deal is avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The Brexit ref was advisory...

I wonder just how many now wish the had done with the advisory Brexit referendum what they are going to do with the Brady referendum. Ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Irish Government,
    '' no room to move on '' back stop'' it's in deal and deal is not getting reopened, its there to avoid a hard border''

EU
    '' Not reopening Brexit deal, it was agreed and signed by all parties, back stop remains to avoid hard border''

But how on earth can they both say this when a No Deal leads to a hard border.
    Seems they have no choice, reopen Brexit deal, or it's no deal and a hard border !
    Answer is obvious,, reopen deal and work back stop out so that everyone is happy, no one wants a hard border so it can't be difficult to agree something when all parties are on same page and want the same thing.

The Deal was agreed already, the issue is in the UK Government following through on the Deal they agreed to already.

They can extend Article 50 (as you said the EU doesn't want a Hard Brexit so it's likely a vote would go through)

That fact that they want a time limit on the backstop and this whole mess with how they've handled the whole negotiation would just mean we are kicking the can down the road

The UK is the equivalent of a basket case at this point, they don't know what they want and are dealing in ultimatums (agree to our deal or there will be a hard brexit)

If the EU goes back and reopens the already AGREED deal, whats to stop the UK negotiating for more concessions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Advertisement

Wtf let Eamon Dunphy onto the Tonight Show on TV3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

briany wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at the Brexit odds on PP. Still seems to be a bit of confidence that there won't be a no-deal and/or there will be a second referendum. Are these odds out of date, good value, or are the bookies just taking into consideration things that I am not, because right now I'm having a hard time seeing how no-deal is avoidable.

No they will be very much live on PP and any other bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,544 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hurrache wrote: »

I read his other post

https://twitter.com/GuitarMoog/status/1090389048982675461

I'm not sure what those MP's can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

DyHU0bKWsAA1_-1?format=jpg&name=small

Stellar frontpage here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Gintonious wrote: »

Stellar frontpage here.

Informally told not to come back at lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not to mention that Spain are not happy how Gibraltar was dealt with, France was not happy about the fishing, and I would wager a few countries were not happy with the UK wide CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

That's why I said "seeming to" in parenthesis. The way it is normally phrased is that Ireland "has no plans" to erect the border but, of course, this is not the same as saying that we won't erect it.

In the end, if there's no deal, Ireland will build the border. We will be ordered to.

We won’t be ordered to do anything. Either we voluntarily comply with EU & WTO law or we are on a one-way ticket out of both organisations (and back into being utterly dependent on, not independent of, the UK).

And it is pointless to go on about “Ireland has no plans” as we are roughly ten weeks away from potentially needing to have a hard border in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1090395693708128256

This is a very interesting hot take on the tweet from a congressman earlier today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

View wrote: »
    Nope, this kind of shyte is why we need to clearly state we will roll out the barbed wire after Brexit day, join Schengen and start making legal provisions for doing this.

It is precisely because we have given the impression that a hard border is completely unthinkable to us that Brexiters believe they can get away with this shyte. So long as they think we will do anything to avoid a hard border, they believe that we will eventually capitulate if they just prove awkward enough. To their mind, they don’t need to compromise if we are going to cave sooner or later to avoid a hard border.

We can't join Schengen because, Brexit or not, it would mean the end of the Common Travel Area between Ireland and the UK, and that would be a disaster for Anglo Irish relations and the millions of Irish people who live in the UK, and the UK citizens living here.

Ireland, unlike the UK, wouldn't spitefully and unilaterally change the residency and free movement rights of millions of innocent people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Akrasia wrote: »
    We can't join Schengen because, Brexit or not, it would mean the end of the Common Travel Area between Ireland and the UK, and that would be a disaster for Anglo Irish relations and the millions of Irish people who live in the UK, and the UK citizens living here.

Ireland, unlike the UK, wouldn't spitefully and unilaterally change the residency and free movement rights of millions of innocent people

You’d also need to make a fair few societal changes in the event that Ireland joined Schengen, too.

Most prominent that I can think of being that Ireland would be the only Schengen nation without a fully armed police service. The only reason that Britain and Ireland get away without every cop being armed at the moment is because the borders with the continent are not wide open. If they were, I dread to think how many of the firearms swirling around France and Eastern Europe would end up here

In saying that, I do think relations between england and Ireland are hanging on by a thread and it wouldn’t surprise me if there was pressure from pro Europe groups in Ireland to end the CTA and pivot towards schengen instead

downcow wrote: »
    Just in and tried to quickly catch up on WM voting. Looks like a better night than I honestly expected.
    Now at last it’s over to the EU. I will be very surprised if their position does not shift a little to meet the UK. Not for a while mind. I reckon it could still be a week or two before they begin to move publicly

And when you're finished being very surprised in two weeks after the EU still hasn't sold out Ireland or caved in to the Brexiteers, will you admit that maybe you've analysed the situation wrong?

If Ireland is going to get the same result whether pushing for a backstop or accepting border controls, then we may as well go with the option that is at least being seen to lean towards Irish interests, tries to safeguard the Peace Process and doesn't constitute a major U-turn. The GFA and Brexit aren't compatible, and there's no really great outcome for Ireland, save Britain cancelling the thing altogether, and that's something which is looking more and more and more unlikely.

“Irish interests” is in being fully onboard with out EU membership after the dust settles. We can’t and mustn’t end up half-in/half-out. Whether we like it or not, the reality is that the UKs decisions on Brexit will be decided by domestic UK politics and those, not out protestations, will shape any and all other UK international agreements including those relating to NI.

Stellar frontpage here.

I don't know if it's that clever TBH. To the well informed, it shows that May is delusional and never had a chance of getting the EU to backtrack on what they've already made perfectly clear they would not backtrack on.

To the brexiteers, this is just more proof that the EU don't want to negotiate and that they don't care what the UK say, they're only out to punish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

Great diagram from @jonworth on Twitter here. Gives all (current/known) possibilities and their liklihoods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One scenario I’ve seen posited several places is that even if a no deal happens it won’t take place before the end of march, they’d need to get a short extension to facilitate it, and under the terms of the bet, it would be a loser.

• Advertisement

This is a very interesting hot take on the tweet from a congressman earlier today!

Not sure how much power they yield, but it gets more interesting
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/resolution-opposing-hard-irish-border-introduced-in-us-congress-1.3775295
    Members of the Irish-American caucus in the US Capital are watching events in London closely, and several have indicated that a return to a hard border in Ireland must be avoided at all costs.

In particular, Richard Neal, the Massachusetts Congressman who was centrally involved in the Good Friday Agreement and is the co-chairman of the Friends of Ireland caucus on Capitol Hill, has recently been appointed as head of the powerful Ways and Means committee. This committee will play a key role in overseeing any future trade agreement between Britain and the United States after Britain leaves the European Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hurrache wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the people on congress reacted with "What's a Brexit?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

One scenario I’ve seen posited several places is that even if a no deal happens it won’t take place before the end of march, they’d need to get a short extension to facilitate it, and under the terms of the bet, it would be a loser.

Think this is the fallacy projected by Esther McVey and the likes who has suggested they go for the No deal and then negotiate terms during the transition period.

No Deal = No Transition Period

I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the people on congress reacted with "What's a Brexit?"

Richard Neal does, and that's who the UK need to deal with.

Akrasia wrote: »

Of course we can join Schengen. Schengen is a fundamental objective of the EU, clearly laid out in the treaties. (Or to be more specific, Schengen is laid out as the practiacal implementation of the objective).

It may once have made sense to have stayed out of Schengem initially when it was set up while we waited for the UK to get its act together and join it but that ship is well and truly sailing away with Brexit.

It does not make sense to suggest that, in let’s say twenty years after Brexit, we, as an EU member state, would be demanding the our fellow EU citizens produce passports at border controls as they enter Ireland, while non-EU British citizens with whom we would share no fellow citizenship, could waltz in and out of Ireland/the EU with no such checks. Equally the same would apply to residency rules/work visas etc. We would be clearly discriminating against our fellow EU citizens were we treat them less favourably than the citizens of a non-EU country.

Of course we can join Schengen. Schengen is a fundamental objective of the EU, clearly laid out in the treaties. (Or to be more specific, Schengen is laid out as the practiacal implementation of the objective).

It may once have made sense to have stayed out of Schengem initially when it was set up while we waited for the UK to get its act together and join it but that ship is well and truly sailing away with Brexit.

It does not make sense to suggest that, in let’s say twenty years after Brexit, we, as an EU member state, would be demanding the our fellow EU citizens produce passports at border controls as they enter Ireland, while non-EU British citizens with whom we would share no fellow citizenship, could waltz in and out of Ireland/the EU with no such checks. Equally the same would apply to residency rules/work visas etc. We would be clearly discriminating against our fellow EU citizens were we treat them less favourably than the citizens of a non-EU country.

But the Common Travel Area existed long before the EU.

I suppose it will come down to whether Irish voters would prefer to ‘waltz’ in and out of Britain as they can now, free to live, work, study, holiday etc without any frictions, or forego that right in favour of not showing a passport at the airport when they travel to Europe.

What about those Irish passport holders in NI who are by extension EU citizens? How will Schengen deal with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the Common Travel Area existed long before the EU.

I suppose it will come down to whether Irish voters would prefer to ‘waltz’ in and out of Britain as they can now, free to live, work, study, holiday etc without any frictions, or forego that right in favour of not showing a passport at the airport when they travel to Europe.

British citizens also have the right to 'waltz' in and out of the Republic - an estimated 2.5m British visitors every year (meaning there is far more traffic in fact from east to west).

Strazdas wrote: »
    British citizens also have the right to 'waltz' in and out of the Republic - an estimated 2.5m British visitors every year (meaning there is far more traffic in fact from east to west).

I used the word ‘waltz’ because the other guy did.

I’m well aware that many British people work and holiday in Ireland each year, I’m one of them. It would certainly be a pain for my employer (London based) if British passport holders were no longer able to freely live and work in Ireland

It’s not a surprise that more people travel from east to west than vice versa I guess but in terms of the proportion of each population which has taken the hop over the the other island however, I’d think the CTA is far more beneficial to Irish citizens.

Personally I think it would be madness to end the CTA from an Irish point of view but equally if people want to perform a symbolic act to demonstrate their commitment to the EU, then schengen membership is the way to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

https://youtu.be/4Y7nECrjd40

At 4:20, you see another arrogant and clueless BBC presenter out of her depth donning the union jack, and once again having to be schooled by a foreigner about their own country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement