Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

And moderate nationalism (as evidenced by fianna Fail) going in to a form of partnership with SDLP last week.

I think after the dust settles on Brexit (which could be for a while yet) there will be a change in the political landscape in the North but while Brexit is ongoing, no one is really clamouring to get back in to Stormont.

Yes indeed. It might be wishful thinking, but I do think politics in NI might becoming more moderate. It suits everyone presently, from a political perspective, not to restart Stormont. SF are quite happy sitting on their hands and keeping their mouths shut as the DUP sticks its head in the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Akrasia wrote: »
    Basically, as it comes closer to brexit day, there will be panic buying. People who can afford it will stockpile up on food, like they're already stockpiling medicines and the shelves will start to become empty in the weeks before brexit day.

Stockpiling is well under way in the UK. Keeping an eye on forums like mumsnet gives an interesting picture. For the last month or two there has been an increase on the busier forums on the topic of stockpiling and the dedicated prepper forum has never been as busy. Initially most topics were started by posters expressing surprise at people they know in real life stockpiling, with a few posters arguing the need for it. Now there are threads where most posters discuss what they are buying extra of, what they expect to run out, whether to buy frozen or not due to the possibility of power cuts, how likely there is to be rioting if food runs out in some areas, etc. The general gist is to buy extra now while shops can over-order to meet increased demand as waiting until March has the potential to create problems. And to avoid telling anyone in real life about what you have extra of.

The mumsnet demographic is quite middle-class, mainly remain voters, mainly mothers (unsurprisingly). There is a massive mix of people who know what they are talking about, those who don't know but want to learn, those who have extreme views on either end of the spectrum. So it's an interesting insight into how so many ordinary people are feeling. And then you remember it's real people in our neighbouring country, with very serious worries about how to feed their families in a couple of months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm sure there's an old saying somewhere that goes "When you've put your own neck in a noose it's not the time to be lending people your ladder"

Think the more correct term would be "Give a man enough rope and they'll hang themselves eventually". This can only go on for another 8 weeks before it backfires in the most spetacular fashion for the UK.

Edit: This might be an older topic but I believe there was a fuel strike back in the early 2000s in England which basically brought the whole place to a standstill. The issue was over excessive tax but the government buckled ultimately over it. I cant imagine the UK government surviving more than a week or 2 in a hard brexit scenario as that level of disruption could destabilise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It can't be anything other than a stalling tactic. This way she gets to wait out the clock with a pretense of not doing so. It's all she can really do until the Tory factions show some sort of compromise.

She may be an extremely stubborn woman but I would not judge her as being a stupid one.
    She is quite safe as PM until after Brexit at the very least as no one else either wants the job, or those that do would not get the support required. She knows she is not going to get anything new on the backstop so she is simply stalling letting the clock run down knowing that the only choice is a hard exit or her WA.

She is simply playing the game. Keeping herself as leader of her party no matter how it pans out, while doing everything her hardliners require but ultimately leaving them exposed to making the call and taking the blame if they chose a hard exit other than her WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Jeremy Corbyn is so behind the curve on Brexit ...
    Its pathetic to see him in the HoC asking his front bench questions as May talks so he can answer her ...he hasnt a clue

Labour need to get him out and get Yvetter Cooper in
    Imagine if Labour had a real leader

• Advertisement

BTw Brexit has adversely effected me in London

I work as a contractor and the number of contracts has nose dived since November
    Also the value of my flat has nose dived by 35%...I was hoping to sell and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It can't be anything other than a stalling tactic. This way she gets to wait out the clock with a pretense of not doing so. It's all she can really do until the Tory factions show some sort of compromise.

I despair following the events of last night and hope the EU does as it`s said and send TM packing.
    There is the small matter though that as recently as last week the EU were lampooning TM saying"tell us what you want,what you really,really want"-was this just that or a genuine attempt for clarification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Infini wrote: »
    Think the more correct term would be "Give a man enough rope and they'll hang themselves eventually". This can only go on for another 8 weeks before it backfires in the most spetacular fashion for the UK.

Actually a legal type gave me one about defendants refusing to engage with the process: "When they see the Gallows they change their tune"

No sign of that thus far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Hard Brexit odds shortening, 3/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Jeremy Corbyn is so behind the curve on Brexit ...
    Its pathetic to see him in the HoC asking his front bench questions as May talks so he can answer her ...he hasnt a clue

Labour need to get him out and get Yvetter Cooper in
    Imagine if Labour had a real leader

That's an utter simplistic reading of what his actual on teh ground problems are. Not every labour supporter is in favour of the likes of a 'peoples vote'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I work as a contractor and the number of contracts has nose dived since November
    Also the value of my flat has nose dived by 35%...I was hoping to sell and move on

Is falling house prices not newsworthy in the UK? The Irish media are obsessed with the property market.

This is just the start just wait till theres a run on the currency that 35% then gets magnified even more in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Ok what do I think (hope) happened last night and what next.

I think the Brexiteers are actually now nervous.If either Grieve or Cooper had succeeded then the result would be a very soft Brexit. They now recognise that May's deal is the best they are going to get. What has happened to all the vassal state comments from JRM and Bozo.

As a face saver for them all the focus in now on the Irish backstop.

SO TM goes to Brussels and says give me something on the backstop and either -

a - EU makes some fuzzy statement about the backstop, TM declares it a victory and the Brexiteers swing behind TM at the next vote.
    b - EU does nothing, Brexiteers blink first see (a)
    c - EU does nothing, Brexiteers don't blink, TM's deal is voted down again. Grieve and Coopers amendments come up again - they succeed then HoC moves for cross party agreement for a softer Brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Havockk wrote: »
    That's an utter simplistic reading of what his actual on teh ground problems are. Not every labour supporter is in favour of the likes of a 'peoples vote'

No but a majority of the party membership are which was voted for and agreed upon at their most recent party congress

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I promised to send yous a link to this mornings nolan. Normally a very diverse set of callers. I have listened 40 mins in and every single NI caller so far wants uk to stand firm even that means no deal. Callers have included farmers and fishermen.
    So maybe I am more reflective of views up north than you think
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00026qr

5% is just the start. And remember, 5% constitutes 10% of the Unionist vote. Wait until their economy starts hurting from Brexit. Yes, the DUP will remain the largest party in the near future but my point is that the trend is shifting towards moderate unionism.

5% shift in an opinion poll when you consider the margin of error, the position of both parties on the Brexit referendum and the subsequent antics of the DUP while being welcome, is disappointing.
    Sad to say, but there has as long as I can recall a strong element of unionist support for " if them ones are in favour, then we are opposed".
    On that poll, especially now in full knowledge of what the DUP Brexit policy will bring to NI, I`m afraid that element of unionist thinking is still very much evident if you wish to appeal to the vast majority of unionist voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

gmisk wrote: »
    If you are expecting any kind of rhyme or reason from the DUP and more specifically Sammy (get the ethnics out) Wilson you will be disapponted, remember he was an environmental minister who doesn't believe in global warming, a fair amount of them are also into creationism.
    Oh and one of them as recently as 2016 didn't know heterosexuals could contract HIV....
    Arlene should have walked after the cash for ash scandal but didn't, Ian Paisley junior seems to get regular paid trips around the world for him and his family and is still there.

Thankfully there general voting base are old and getting older.

Yes thats exactly my point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,542 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I despair following the events of last night and hope the EU does as it`s said and send TM packing.
    There is the small matter though that as recently as last week the EU were lampooning TM saying"tell us what you want,what you really,really want"-was this just that or a genuine attempt for clarification?
    They've long since given up expecting May to provide clarification as to what the UK wants. And in light of this week's developments they will regard her as generlly lacking in judgment, and an untrustworthy interlocutor.

The purpose of asking May what the UK wants is not to get clarification of what the UK wants. It's to bring out the fact that the UK doesn't know what it wants. Or, at any rate, that May doesn't know what the UK wants, which is pretty much the same thing.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    SO TM goes to Brussels and says give me something on the backstop and either -

a - EU makes some fuzzy statement about the backstop, TM declares it a victory and the Brexiteers swing behind TM at the next vote.
    b - EU does nothing, Brexiteers blink first see (a)
    c - EU does nothing, Brexiteers don't blink, TM's deal is voted down again. Grieve and Coopers amendments come up again - they succeed then HoC moves for cross party agreement for a softer Brexit

C is the only likely one the EU isnt going to buckle because ultimately for the EU its a ripple on the bow and a group of 27 nations can easily absorb the impact. The UK on the other hand is likely to get shattered.

The Brexiteers are too blinkered in ideology to back down and the EU doesnt compromise with external parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Heardvit. The woman is just as delusional ad the rest of the UK. Tried to talk down. To this country as well. Bad move edwina! You should really know better than that.

Heard it. She was dreadful, as arrogant as any hardline brexiter you could find. Just dismissive of everything and basically “it’s our way or no way” mantra.

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »
    I promised to send yous a link to this mornings nolan. Normally a very diverse set of callers. I have listened 40 mins in and every single NI caller so far wants uk to stand firm even that means no deal. Callers have included farmers and fishermen.

And the BBC producers get to choose the callers you hear..... so this means nothing. I'm not saying you're wrong its just proof of nothing you have said as its entirely possible its a very selective sample of opinions.

Havockk wrote: »

I said he hasnt a clue and he hasnt ... its not simplistic its a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/status/1090592005397381120

Lads it's only 100 trucks a day what's the big deal?

Seriously these people have to know they are lying right?

Actually a legal type gave me one about defendants refusing to engage with the process: "When they see the Gallows they change their tune"

No sign of that thus far

Samuel Johnston. "When a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight it concentrates his mind wonderfully"

After 14th. Feb that gallows will be coming into stark view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

If you think that, 'people who would actually call the Nolan show' is a fair sample of the opinion of the general populace of NI, I truly despair for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

I think the referendum result in Northern Ireland is the best reflection of what the views of people up North are, rather than a radio phone in show.
    That was 56% to remain and 44% to leave if memory serves me right.
    It roughly broke down to the same old historical voting patterns(Normal people and headcases).

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/status/1090592005397381120

Lads it's only 100 trucks a day what's the big deal?

Seriously these people have to know they are lying right?

Just look at the first replies, its actually 13,000 lorries +35k people so there's no way he doesn't know hes lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

VinLieger wrote: »
    I bet Downcow can't wait to get a tasted of that chlorinated chicken.

Its really quite sad to see them think they have any chance of standing up to the US on these issues.

Whats sad (and frightening) is the UK risk contaminating the food supply of this country in the future should they persist in their delusional thinking.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Akrasia wrote: »
    Nope, she deserves to be completely snubbed. She has invited herself over to a negotiation that is not scheduled to take place. She is showing contempt for the negotiation process and by traveling to Brussels she is intentionally wasting everyone's time and money

I disagree. If they refuse to meet her then it just gives Brexiteers more (irrelevant) ammo to exit without a deal because the big dirty EU is being mean again.

They should give her the courtesy, then politely thank her for coming and add that no changes can or will be made to the deal. They've provided enough concessions already.

• Advertisement

Is falling house prices not newsworthy in the UK? The Irish media are obsessed with the property market.

Well there is only one story at the moment ...everything else is not even reported on or maybe BBC and co are afraid of being accused of project fear

I go my flat assessed 2 years ago and again a few weeks ago and the price has fallen by 35%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement