Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They won't want to be faced with dozens of their lorries stuck in Manston for an indefinite period of time.

And that will have serious effects on Ireland as well. Haulage companies will want to avoid the UK for some time to see what is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

downcow wrote: »
    I promised to send yous a link to this mornings nolan. Normally a very diverse set of callers. I have listened 40 mins in and every single NI caller so far wants uk to stand firm even that means no deal. Callers have included farmers and fishermen.
    So maybe I am more reflective of views up north than you think
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00026qr

I would imagine that actual farmers and fishermen have better things to be at of a Wednesday morning than talking to Stephen bloody Nolan for a start.

someone posted earlier in this thread (it is too far back to search it out) that the UK keep going on about the 11th hour compromise by the EU in situations but that the 11th hour has already passed. The EU already caved to TM's demand for a UK wide backstop, that was the climbdown at the 11th hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Leroy42 wrote: »
    someone posted earlier in this thread (it is too far back to search it out) that the UK keep going on about the 11th hour compromise by the EU in situations but that the 11th hour has already passed. The EU already caved to TM's demand for a UK wide backstop, that was the climbdown at the 11th hour.

A key thing to remember is that May has just reneged on the WA. How on earth could the EU offer major concessions to or sign a new deal with such a slippery chancer backed by a dodgy Parliament? Nobody would trust her to keep her word for even two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Because (amongst other reasons) the last 20 years have seen Calais develop as a free-movement port. There is only rudimentary infrastructure for non-EU (essentially non-UK) traffic. They have to build new facilities from the ground up - quite literally, starting last week (and that's only for the veterinary inspection of cattle and horses). Furthermore, as there's no land available in Dover or Folkestone, it's expected that the UK will have to build it's customs facilities on the French side of the Channel! Nothing says sovereignty like having to ask a foreign state to lend you a bit of land with road frontage! :rolleyes:

Wasn't mentioning the UK's future issues at all.

Only directly links from Ireland, and that the route expansion is all going to be going through belgium and the netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I agree with some of the previous posters.

It looks like a no deal is on the cards, but 6 weeks of trucks backed up from Dover to London and Newry to Belfast will see a deal done fairly pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I would imagine that actual farmers and fishermen have better things to be at of a Wednesday morning than talking to Stephen bloody Nolan for a start.

He always seems to have Jim Allister on his TV programme, presumably in the Ivan Yates spirit of stirring things up to enliven a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

A lot of people are rightly saying that we (Irl not EU) need a deal as much if not more than the UK. 55k jobs lost and growth savaged on a no deal brexit, but on the flip side what damage do we get from allowing our single market/customs union economy to be swamped by zero tariff zero regulated goods that will flood in through the open border?

It looks like we get hammered either way, but if we do regulate the border we keep open access to the whole EU market.

BTW, a controlled border on our side will only stop and check freight etc. heading south, UK have repeatedly stated that they wont impose border controls, so that will be ok for our goods heading north! (Tory logic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

Varik wrote: »
    The direct sea route will take far longer.

Dublin to Zeebrugge is 11 hours, without travelling through the UK that's goes up to 40 hours. Antwerp & Rotterdam are worse. For some reason Calais isn't being considered, the mayor there was very angry about it. Even Calais isn't' that much closer than Zeebrugge.

The sea route is at best adding 20 hours to get to France.

How do you calculate Dublin to Zeebrugge in 11 hours for a truck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

embraer170 wrote: »
    Google maps probably. Gives me 12 hours, but of course that assumes that you roll onto the ferry and it takes off as soon as you park.

It's not *that* important anyway. Even if the trip is 20 hours longer by avoiding the UK, logistics companies have been doing this kind of stuff for decades now. Supply chains adapt pretty quickly to account for the slightly longer lead time and we just carry on as before while everything into and out of the UK sits in queues.

The main issue for us is the increased cost of shipping goods in and out of the EU if we can't piggyback on the UK's shipments anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

embraer170 wrote: »

Google Maps gives 11hrs 24mins using the EuroTunnel and Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mrbrianj wrote: »
    A lot of people are rightly saying that we (Irl not EU) need a deal as much if not more than the UK. 55k jobs lost and growth savaged on a no deal brexit, but on the flip side what damage do we get from allowing our single market/customs union economy to be swamped by zero tariff zero regulated goods that will flood in through the open border?

It looks like we get hammered either way, but if we do regulate the border we keep open access to the whole EU market.

BTW, a controlled border on our side will only stop and check freight etc. heading south, UK have repeatedly stated that they wont impose border controls, so that will be ok for our goods heading north! (Tory logic)

I have been thinking about this too, and if these people do crash out I think we have no option but to don the green jersey for a while and maintain the integrity of the SM. No choice really but we don't have a choice that I can see.
    They'll be back looking to negotiate a deal soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

do the UK learn nothing from history?

are they hoping May will come back from Brussels and wave a sheet of paper in the air and declare - "Peace in our time"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

robinph wrote: »
    Google Maps gives 11hrs 24mins using the EuroTunnel and Holyhead.

At car motorway speeds and without tachograph restrictions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's nearly 40pc preferring a no deal Brexit.
    Wow!

No remain option in the poll though.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    do the UK learn nothing from history?

are they hoping May will come back from Brussels and wave a sheet of paper in the air and declare - "Peace in our time"

It was suggested by a previous poster that this is simply a delaying tactic by TM.

The U-Turn is so striking that that is the only conclusion that I can think of. She was, until basically Monday morning, telling everyone that the deal was as good as it got, any deal would require future alignment and the backstop was absolutely necessary.

My thinking is she saw yet another defeat coming, this time with possible Labour amendments getting voted through and that would have spelt the end for her and the government.

So she grabs onto the ERG liferaft, knowing that it can't possibly save her but it was better than drowning. She either hopes that she will return empty handed (she can't possibly believe that she did such a poor job in the initial negotiation that she can get a better deal now, and even if she did she would be writing her own resignation letter) and have left no time for anything else and hope that Labour or somebody will vote to stop the whole thing. Or she is willing to go with a No deal on the basis that whilst it may be a disaster for the country she will probably be allowed to remain on as PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

igCorcaigh wrote: »

so 73% want Brexit with a hard border

sweet

Wow!

But we have seen polls before that many people really do not understand what "No Deal" brexit actually means. Many appear to think that it means that things stay as they are, except of course the UK save 39bn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Weird poll, gives the impression that 40% of everyone wants a crash-out. I wonder what would happen to those numbers if revoking article 50 was an option?

• Advertisement

But we have seen polls before that many people really do not understand what "No Deal" brexit actually means. Many appear to think that it means that things stay as they are, except of course the UK save 39bn.

I'm baffled that people can misunderstand what no deal means. It's not like there has been insufficient media coverage. Perhaps people are reading the red tops and nothing else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wow!

No remain option in the poll though.

That’s the way that the wind seems to be blowing now. If the “British public” are that way inclined then so be it I suppose. They’ll just have to accept the consequences of the glorious new era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm baffled that people can misunderstand what no deal means. It's not like there has been insufficient media coverage. Perhaps people are reading the red tops and nothing else?

I think a lot of them think it means life stays as is but no foreigners

There is a huge amount of people that are both totally connected to the wider world through twitter/FB etc and at the same time totally removed from anything connected to the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

except of course the UK save 39bn.
    For all of five minutes until the EU demand the £39bn be discharged before a trade deal can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think it's easy to forget that not everyone is as politically engaged as the posters here.

A lot of people drift around clueless and and others simply look at news as another form of entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

From the interviews I've seen with no-deal supporting members of the public, it seems to be very much a case of "what did the Romans EU ever do for us?" In their eyes, life in Britain is as good as it is (apart from those pesky foreigners taking the jobs that no self-respecting Brit would get out of bed for) because it's Britain, 5th largest economy in the world, winner of two world wars and motherland of the world's most spoken language.

That EU membership may have contributed significantly to Britain's position in the modern world, and that that world has changed considerably in the 40 years since passes them by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They are on a diet of information disseminated by people like this, so pervasive is this stuff that you even get some Irish people swallowing it and spreading it.

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1089975727548780547

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Weird poll, gives the impression that 40% of everyone wants a crash-out. I wonder what would happen to those numbers if revoking article 50 was an option?
    Can't imagine the remain camp would be taking votes from crash out Brexit.

It shows how the discourse has been over there. The EU and Ireland seems to have just been painted as a panto villain by a large proportion of the media there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are we looking at the last of the empire with the Home Countries falling apart?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement