Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    do the UK learn nothing from history?

are they hoping May will come back from Brussels and wave a sheet of paper in the air and declare - "Peace in our time"

I think to make the metaphor work, the Brexiteers see the WA as the useless bit of paper and following from the vote in the commons want May to set aside her Chamberlin like misadventures in Europe and play the role of Churchill batteling the evil Hun on the beaches.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the EU and all the odious apparatus of Comission rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on fish in the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength on the airwaves, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the backstop, we shall fight on the financial settlement, we shall fight on the customs union and on the single market, we shall fight above all amongst ourselves; we shall never surrender.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think it's easy to forget that not everyone is as politically engaged as the posters here.

A lot of people drift around clueless and and others simply look at news as another form of entertainment.

This is a very important point.

Everyone posting here regardless of viewpoint, is orders of magnitude more politically aware & engaged than the average person.

The average person hears the odd news bulletin on the radio during their commute or maybe watches the main evening news a few times a week.

They simply don't have the details readily available to connect the various elements together into a full picture.

Most people treat politics the way I treat soccer (no offence to the multitude of Soccer fans :)).

I'm aware of it , probably know who's currently winning the league , can name a few key players and some detail on a few high profile stories.

But , my knowledge ability to hold a conversation on the subject (or truly understand it) is fully exhausted after about 5 minutes..

Sadly that is the political reality..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm baffled that people can misunderstand what no deal means. It's not like there has been insufficient media coverage. Perhaps people are reading the red tops and nothing else?

There was a poll on Sky recently - on phone can't access - where approx 25% of people who stated they were for No Deal thought it meant remaining in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They are on a diet of information disseminated by people like this, so pervasive is this stuff that you even get some Irish people swallowing it and spreading it.

Vance has been trolling and winding people up all week.

Verhostadt said this at the meeting today. I thought it may have been an off the cuff remark but obviously not when his account tweets it hours later.

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1090652915600117760?s=19

And a dig at the party before country that's happening there
    https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1090653199193833478?s=19

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

road_high wrote: »
    I think a lot of them think it means life stays as is but no foreigners

LOL yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Varik wrote: »
    EU has excluded France from the redone North Sea-Mediterranean route

Well the French government already said it was working with us on solutions for those routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

mrbrianj wrote: »
    A lot of people are rightly saying that we (Irl not EU) need a deal as much if not more than the UK. 55k jobs lost and growth savaged on a no deal brexit, but on the flip side what damage do we get from allowing our single market/customs union economy to be swamped by zero tariff zero regulated goods that will flood in through the open border?

It looks like we get hammered either way, but if we do regulate the border we keep open access to the whole EU market.

BTW, a controlled border on our side will only stop and check freight etc. heading south, UK have repeatedly stated that they wont impose border controls, so that will be ok for our goods heading north! (Tory logic)

That 55,000 jobs thing is project fear in reverse. Why can't sellers and growers change their business models to suit a Brexit outcome? Currently we import 50% of our milk, most of our potatoes and root crops. Why can't we produce 100% of these items? It is Ireland after all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

LOL yeah!

No more of this please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

Water John wrote: »
    Are we looking at the last of the empire with the Home Countries falling apart?

The way things are going, you start to kind of wonder if England will remain one country, never mind the UK staying together. There is extreme political division in the UK right now, so that's one crisis they have to deal with. On top of that, you have the crisis that may come with suddenly being outside the EU. Furthermore, you have the SNP ready to agitate for another indy ref. That's crisis 3. You have potential violence at the Irish border and the Peace Process folding like a house of cards - crisis 4. You have the potential for violence on the streets of Britain if Brexit goes particularly badly and the worst of the predictions comes true - empty shelves at the supermarket, tailbacks of lorrys etc. Crisis number 5.

And it would be karma for the UK to lose Scotland and NI. Neither of those regions voted for it. What a show of arrogance to disregard those countries' views. It's hilarious how Brexiteers call the EU 'undemocratic' when the EU at least gives member countries a veto on big decisions, regardless of the country's size, whereas the UK just tells member countries (besides England) to f off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Hurrache wrote: »
    They are on a diet of information disseminated by people like this, so pervasive is this stuff that you even get some Irish people swallowing it and spreading it.

Vance has been trolling and winding people up all week.

Verhostadt said this at the meeting today. I thought it may have been an off the cuff remark but obviously not when his account tweets it hours later.

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1090652915600117760?s=19

And a dig at the party before country that's happening there
    https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1090653199193833478?s=19
    I think the first one is a very good point that tends to get forgotten in the media (at least in the UK). There has been a lot of back clapping over finally passing something relating to Brexit but it is not binding and has a big hole with to be filled scribbled in.

Even if the EU negotiated about the backstop then new details would emerge. Some would be opposed to the details of whatever the "alternate backstop" is and the deal would have to go back for a vote in Parliament which it would then lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Borderhopper

SNIP. Cut out the one-liners please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That's nearly 40pc preferring a no deal Brexit.
    Wow!

But we have seen polls before that many people really do not understand what "No Deal" brexit actually means. Many appear to think that it means that things stay as they are, except of course the UK save 39bn.
    I read an article in the British press saying just that. The writer was saying in any other walk of life, say "buying a car" if the deal falls through ie no deal you go back to where you were, no change. The language of "no deal" is incorrect as it implys no change, you just walk away.
    In this case nothing could be further from the truth.
    Plenty of ordinary British people have a good knowledge of the situation, but others are just getting jingoistic soundbites. Just look at the tabloid headlines this morning for examples of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

joe40 wrote: »
    That's nearly 40pc preferring a no deal Brexit.
    Wow!

But we have seen polls before that many people really do not understand what "No Deal" brexit actually means. Many appear to think that it means that things stay as they are, except of course the UK save 39bn.
    I read an article in the British press saying just that. The writer was saying in any other walk of life, say "buying a car" if the deal falls through ie no deal you go back to where you were, no change. The language of "no deal" is incorrect as it implys no change, you just walk away.
    Plenty of ordinary British people have a good knowledge of the situation, but others are just getting jingoistic soundbites. Just look at the tabloid headlines this morning for examples of this.
    The issue is it is literally going for no deal. People just don't realise how much is built up on the current deal. I think that is why many think the EU is punishing them instead of seeing it as a natural consequence of the vote.

To steal your example it is like agreeing to have a loan of a car for a few months and then deciding you now want no deal before being shocked that you can't drive around any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

joe40 wrote: »

Should just be called crashing out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

All the interviews let the Brexiteers talk about withholding the 39bn as the card they have to play, without anyone calling them out on it.

Like "Are you really suggesting that the UK whelch on an international financial obligation and surely that will place us in the same terms of Argentina etc defaulting on WB loans? Why would anybody deal with us anymore and wouldn't that scare the markets in terms of government bonds etc?"

That is even before you mention that 39bn, in terms of the overall EU budget and GDP, particularly since it is spread out until 2060 is not going to really make much difference.

But time and again they come on tv/radio shows holding this threat out as the trump card. "Let them go without" is the mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sky had a poll last week where 27% of people thought that No Deal meant remaining in the EU and carrying on as before.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Sky had a poll last week where 27% of people thought that No Deal meant remaining in the EU and carrying on as before.....:rolleyes:

If that is true, then really I despair.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And there is a poll representing the utter lack of understanding that at least 27% of the people in that poll have about brexit and the whole process around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Watching the BBC's News at Six you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was the EU that were the problem.

Katya Adler: "The EU are effectively stonewalling Mrs May..."

Emma Vardy: "The UK now seeks a lifeline from Brussels it says will keep everything afloat..." (The agreement they rejected was the lifeline)

And then there's Laura Kuenssberg trotting out the familiar theme, "They say they [the EU] won't renegotiate but they usually do deals at the 11th hour..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

EdgeCase wrote: »
    A lot of it can be handled by simply moving ships into Irish service. There's already at least one Brexit buster ferry in place which can handle 14km of trucks at a time.

Logistically speaking, the Irish market is not THAT big or complicated to service. If there's a demand for shipping on Irish-continental routes, there'll be capacity brought on stream by moving ships from elsewhere.

Bear in mind that due to potential chaos at ports in the UK, there'll be less goods moving through which may result in excess ferry capacity moving from there to routes between here and France / Belgium.

Our distribution network will have to be totally changed so instead of talking to Bob in Bolton would you rather deal with Michel in Lille ?
    Also a lot of our retail and indeed distribution players are UK owned and are sitting at the end of UK supply chains.
    Tesco, M&S, Currys, B&Q are retailers that automatically spring to mind.
    Even online retailers like Amazon.co.uk, Screwfix offering cheaper products are UK based and distribute out of there to here.

Your post reads like "shure it will be alright on the night".
    Sailings could be increased if needed as well as alternatives which I cannot speak about. I think you will find the EU is right behind Ireland on this one and unlike the UK who have given contracts to a ferry company with no boats the EU are bring very realistic and have plans in place.

Heard today from a German cop that Ireland have been offered EU officers to patrol the border if needs be.

Do the carriers have the ferries or ships or do you envisage diverting ships from UK routes ?
    Forgive me for being skeptical about plans from bureaucratic mega structures and from an entity that shafted us in the not too distant past. :rolleyes:
    EdgeCase wrote: »
    Cork to Roscoff takes 14 hours using a conventional non-fast ferry, the Brittany Ferry's flagship MV Port Aven.

The Dublin to Antwerp / Rotterdam routes could be useful for non-time-sensitive freight that transits the UK at present, but you could also have extended ferries on South coast of Ireland to Brittany routes for food that's under time pressure for spoilage.

At present because of the land bridge, the development of Cork or Rosslare to France freight focused ferries hasn't been commercially viable and the focus has been on tourism, but the potential is there and the ability to move ferries to those routes is also there.

Have you ever been in Roscoff?

Ehh how long do you reckon will these developments take, to the nearest decade please as this is Ireland ?

Do you remember what happened last year when Irish Ferries tried to add new ferry to their France route?

Will we have to wait for ships to be built or can they be sourced from somewhere?

BTW thinking of transport implications with hard Brexit.
    I know UK signed deals with US and Canada regarding open skies, and with such big hitters as Israel, Morocco, Albania but what is status with regards UK EU air travel if hard Brexit ?

Also I know some countries are putting in place measures to allow UK expats have residency rights post a no deal Brexit, but what is the story with access to healthcare, etc ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Hurrache wrote: »
    Somebody in the Ivory Coast is getting all panicky at the moment wondering what the hell is going on.
    https://twitter.com/GermanyDiplo/status/1090603439976050690

Fair play, who said they don't have a sense of humour - oh yeah, that was the Brits....another thing they were wrong on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anybody hear Mairead McGuinness in the Euro parliament on RTE there? Seemed to be getting heckled by UK MEPs and let rip.
    I will look for a link to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

robinph wrote: »
    Google Maps gives 11hrs 24mins using the EuroTunnel and Holyhead.

Which is an unrealistic time, even for a car.

There's really not such a huge difference between the landbridge and a direct ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

embraer170 wrote: »

There's really not such a huge difference between the landbridge and a direct ferry.

Trucks need to stop for tacograph breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

embraer170 wrote: »

Seemed a very quick time to me alright, having had some contact with drivers and the transport industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody hear Mairead McGuinness in the Euro parliament on RTE there? Seemed to be getting heckled by UK MEPs and let rip.

https://twitter.com/TomasBXL/status/1090646002137206785

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thargor wrote: »

That line at the end, absolute beauty!

This is a perfect example of how the EU are having to deal with the Brits (generalization I know), they are the loud and disruptive kids in the classroom who used to think they were the centre of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gintonious wrote: »
    That line at the end, absolute beauty!

This is a perfect example of how the EU are having to deal with the Brits (generalization I know), they are the loud and disruptive kids in the classroom who used to think they were the centre of the world.
    The head on Farage at the end was funny I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Classy guys. Edit, beaten to it again.

https://twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1090678631159001088?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement