Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

briany wrote: »
    I'd agree with much of what he wrote if it were an appeal to simple living, making do with less, and appreciating that many nice things we have are due to vast and complicated global logistics.

But he appears to be writing it in a 'Britain can take it!' way. This mentality seems to going around a fair bit in the UK. The trouble with adopting the Blitz Spirit in the face of potential shortages, is that many people talking about it have never been through it.

Such utter mendacity to be invoking mythical war time sprit for something so entirely avoidable and self destructive..

The eagerness to embrace self harm is loony bin territory

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

briany wrote: »
    I'd agree with much of what he wrote if it were an appeal to simple living, making do with less, and appreciating that many nice things we have are due to vast and complicated global logistics.

But he appears to be writing it in a 'Britain can take it!' way. This mentality seems to going around a fair bit in the UK. The trouble with adopting the Blitz Spirit in the face of potential shortages, is that many people talking about it have never been through it.

The not so subtle reference to Dunkirk is the icing on the cake. I understand your point about simple living but it's from Charles Moore so it's simply jingoistic nonsense dressed up as nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you take the meandering views of an Eton toff as the opinion of the general public in Britain?
    Never mind the fact that he's clearly talking to people who can afford to hop on the yacht and have a jolly good sail over to Calais and stock up on vino, green beans and fresh salads. And have access to straw, shelves and apples to store on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

We can continue talking to ourselves here. But EU and UK have finished talking for now. The standoff has begun.
    UK will say that they have new proposals for the Irish border. That will be just theoretical rubbish. Mrs. May insists UK will leave EU on 29 March. Won't happen.
    UK will blink first in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    "The Commission has adopted plans to reroute Ireland’s freight to ports in Belgium and the Netherlands".
    I remember reading the article when it was published, here is the link
    https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-french-ireland-ports-cut-out-of-eu-trade-route-after-brexit/

and Today's news:
    "French ports including Calais, Dunkirk and Le Havre are set to be included in a valuable EU trade corridor after Brexit following protests from the country’s politicians."
    https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-trade-french-ports-find-favor-in-brussels/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It does seem very likely that they will need at least one delay to the 29th March deadline.

I wonder how that will go down in the UK as they have been stating for the last two years no delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It does seem very likely that they will need at least one delay to the 29th March deadline.

I wonder how that will go down in the UK as they have been stating for the last two years no delay.
    Judging by some comments I have seen many will scream at the injustice of the EU forcing them to stay. I am not sure how they reach that conclusion but I have seen the EU blamed over this potential delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why on earth would you take the meandering views of an Eton toff as the opinion of the general public in Britain?

It's not a view of the general public..... At least not of roughly one half of the proportion who can vote.

People like this gentleman,

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Leroy42 wrote: »

Mrs May has repeatedly said " The UK will leave EU on 29 March". That is total rubbish. UK citizens voted to leave EU and the UK government set down 29 March as the date. I think it is disgusting to continue treating the UK electorate as if they are fools. UK will not leave EU on 29 March. Mrs May should start being honest with everyone and stop being a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Scoondal wrote: »
    Mrs May has repeatedly said " The UK will leave EU on 29 March". That is total rubbish. UK citizens voted to leave EU and the UK government set down 29 March as the date. I think it is disgusting to continue treating the UK electorate as if they are fools. UK will not leave EU on 29 March. Mrs May should start being honest with everyone and stop being a liar.

The Tories default stance is to lie about everything. That is why politics in the UK is broken and no longer fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

I'm coming around to the conclusion that there needs to be a hard brexit to bring reality home. I can't see how any option now will bring Britain together & remove uncertainty & division. There's more pain coming no matter how they continue...

- a version of WA agreement being passed, it's mostly aspirational stuff
    - a50 extension for more negotiation
    - second vote
    - some bluster which is close to non-brexit

The only way I can see Britain cohesing is hard brexit & to let it begin to crumble. Of course EU/Ireland will take a lot of flak and we will suffer, but the Moggs/BoJo/ERG/etc/etc need to shown to be wholly wrong & that they betrayed the people.

The dishonesty of the Brexiteers is disgusting & they need to be swept away.

Of course if hard brexit happens & after a little heartache everything goes OK, I'll be the first to hold up my hands & say I was wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Scoondal wrote: »

But there is a piece of law that states that they will leave on March 29th.

Until that piece of law is revoked then that date stands.

Right now that is the only legal thing out there, everything else is non binding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Here is James O Brien today saying that Brexit will lead to a united Ireland

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-believes-northern-ireland-will-leave/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

VinLieger wrote: »
    I disagree i think an Irish sea border would lead to a longer wait for a UI than a full on hard brexit with a hard border.

I tend to agree.

Northern Ireland will suffer hardship after Brexit, no matter what.

If there is a border down the Irish Sea at the behest of the Irish government, then the Irish government will get the blame, and attitudes against unity will harden, not only among the unionist community, but also within the Catholic middle class community.

Conversely, if there is a hard border on the island, and Protestant farmers are suffering and blaming the London government, they will be more open to a united Ireland.

The key to whether Brexit boosts unity is who gets the blame for the resultant hardship in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

blanch152 wrote:
    Conversely, if there is a hard border on the island, and Protestant farmers are suffering and blaming the London government, they will be more open to a united Ireland.

I think you seriously underestimate the strength of anti-ROI sentiment in the unionist community. They will look to Britain/UK to look after them, not ROI or the EU.

I'm more than happy to let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Lots of talk of a UI, seems not to make much mention whether citizens in the Republic would be in favour of it. I continue to think, once the economic argument got a good airing, people would flee from the idea.

Never mind the headbangers we'd inherit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

badtoro wrote: »
    Lots of talk of a UI, seems not to make much mention whether citizens in the Republic would be in favour of it. I continue to think, once the economic argument got a good airing, people would flee from the idea.

Never mind the headbangers we'd inherit.

It would depend on the deal on offer.

1. UK could continue subsidy.

2. NI should escape without the share of the huge UK National Debt

3. EU would likely chip a few bob of regional aid, and a few other funds.

4. Ireland could agree to some continuance of a NI assembly - at least for a transition - even a period of joint authority.

5. A transition for tax equalisation - with a NHS type continuance.

On balance, we voted 95% for the GFA, so I would expect it would carry hugely in Ireland. NI might be a bit more tricky - but the Unionists appear happy to accept a 52%/48% vote in some matters.

If the UK is basically neutral or even in favour of a UI, then that would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

First Up wrote: »
    I think you seriously underestimate the strength of anti-ROI sentiment in the unionist community. They will look to Britain/UK to look after them, not ROI or the EU.

I'm more than happy to let them at it.

Totally agree

It's a huge leap to suggest that unionists families going back centuries would embrace the idea of a united Ireland in a very short space of time over economic issues.

That's not to mention the growing numbers of people on both sides who see themselves as Northern Irish rather than Irish or British.

There is no guarantee that they would embrace being part of the ROI over what essential be a single issue, EU membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

VinLieger wrote: »
    I disagree i think an Irish sea border would lead to a longer wait for a UI than a full on hard brexit with a hard border.

I'm talking about the establishment of an Irish Sea border after a chaotic Brexit, when NI has already begun to feel the effects of being at one with a post-Brexit UK.

If NI went straight from its current "Irish Sea lite" separation to "Irish Sea a-little-bit-less-lite" as part of the WA (i.e. the Dec 2017 proposal) then there'd be no reason to opt for re-unification as they'd be getting the best of all worlds.

But if the UK crashes out, a hard border is established, NI's economy goes through the floor with no help available in Westminster, then an Irish Sea border will go from being "tolerable" to "desireable". Not the best-of-all-worlds offer that's on the table now, but a keep-you-fed-and-alive agreement. Give it two years, with the RoI back on its feet and still no Brexit dividend in evidence for the UK, the pragmatic voters in NI will start asking "what's in it for us?" and seriously consider the advantages of Irish reunification. It'll probably be something completely unrelated, something that primarily affects the English (who will have again forgotten about NI) that tips the balance; something like the return of military service/conscription or the imposition of ID cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Totally agree

It's a huge leap to suggest that unionists families going back centuries would embrace the idea of a united Ireland in a very short space of time over economic issues.

That's not to mention the growing numbers of people on both sides who see themselves as Northern Irish rather than Irish or British.

There is no guarantee that they would embrace being part of the ROI over what essential be a single issue, EU membership.

Land. Ulster farmers will not countenance losing that and Brexit could decimate farming stock. That is where the first major changes in attitude among unionists will come from. Next will be business and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

We were talking about Ray Bassett earlier, so, of course, he'll be on Radio 4's Today programme tomorrow:

http://twitter.com/ray_basssett/status/1091039740760150017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The demographics in the North are crushing the unionists Brexit or no Brexit, nationalists especially SF will be wary of swinging too soon and missing. There are more Protestant deaths from old age than there are Protestant births, its the reverse for Catholics, about 6000 more Catholics born every year than die of old age. Not that every Catholic is a nationalist seeking a UI of course but the majority will be, a UI is inevitable at this stage, Brexit will just help it along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It would depend on the deal on offer.

1. UK could continue subsidy.

2. NI should escape without the share of the huge UK National Debt

3. EU would likely chip a few bob of regional aid, and a few other funds.

4. Ireland could agree to some continuance of a NI assembly - at least for a transition - even a period of joint authority.

5. A transition for tax equalisation - with a NHS type continuance.

On balance, we voted 95% for the GFA, so I would expect it would carry hugely in Ireland. NI might be a bit more tricky - but the Unionists appear happy to accept a 52%/48% vote in some matters.

If the UK is basically neutral or even in favour of a UI, then that would help.

I think (depending on timing) that a reunification vote could be rejected heavily in the RoI, there are a lot of concerns and leaps of faith that a lot of people may not be willing to take on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Thargor wrote: »
    The demographics in the North are crushing the unionists Brexit or no Brexit, nationalists especially SF will be wary of swinging too soon and missing. There are more Protestant deaths from old age than there are Protestant births, its the reverse for Catholics, about 6000 more Catholics born every year than die of old age. Not that every Catholic is a nationalist seeking a UI of course but the majority will be, a UI is inevitable at this stage, Brexit will just help it along.

Yeah I'm not so sure; because when you say 'not every Catholic is a nationalist seeking a UI' I think you might be burying the lead a little. As much as half the Catholic population has no interest in a UI and whilst I could certainly see that being ginned up in a referendum (like in Scotland) the idea of it being sufficiently large to overcome the Protestant majority for the foreseeable future is, in my view, quite remote.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Land. Ulster farmers will not countenance losing that and Brexit could decimate farming stock. That is where the first major changes in attitude among unionists will come from. Next will be business and so on.

Northern Ireland farm incomes down 23% since last year

Donegal milk ends up on the shelves of retailers such as Lidl and Aldi. But is processed in the North. Setting up a second factory in the south would increase costs and so farmers on both sides of the border would be squeezed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I'm not so sure; because when you say 'not every Catholic is a nationalist seeking a UI' I think you might be burying the lead a little. As much as half the Catholic population has no interest in a UI and whilst I could certainly see that being ginned up in a referendum (like in Scotland) the idea of it being sufficiently large to overcome the Protestant majority for the foreseeable future is, in my view, quite remote.
    The Protestant majority you mention is down to 3%, at the next census it will likely become the Protestant minority, actually seeing as census data is from 2011 its probably more accurate to say Protestants are the minority right now, and a shrinking minority, versus a growing Catholic majority, its a perfectly foreseeable future, practically inevitable now. When it comes time to vote in a border poll theres no way ~50% of the Catholic population will sit on their hands whill ~100% of the Protestant vote casts a ballot (got a source for that 50% not interested in UI btw?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's with the religious aspect ?

Sure the majority have always only ever looked at their pockets up there. Say one thing do another. There's a hard minority with the viewpoints you are expressing. The rest are in the middle ground just wanting to get on with life and concerned about job and family.

I think that your stats opinion is way off the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭sandbelter

i have to say I agree, I'm constantly surprised by the large number of NI Catholic's that view themselves as British. As for the Unionist, they have always been very honest as to they are; They have never shown any interest in being Irish, they arrived British, lived British, died British.

I've always thought Scotland has to go first. If the ballot paper says are you British or Irish? NI will chose Britain. But, if the ballot paper says are you English or Irish? NI will chose UI.

Without Scotland there no such place as Britain, there is simply only England (Wales an an accent and a Rugby team not a country)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

sandbelter wrote: »
    i have to say I agree, I'm constantly surprised by the large number of NI Catholic's that view themselves as British. As for the Unionist, they have always been very honest as to they are; They have never shown any interest in being Irish, they arrived British, lived British, died British.

I've always thought Scotland has to go first. If the ballot paper says are you British or Irish? NI will chose Britain. But, if the ballot paper says are you English or Irish? NI will chose UI.

Without Scotland there no such place as Britain, there is simply only England (Wales an an accent and a Rugby team not a country)

The Welsh are allegedly the closest to the original people of Britain before all the invasions,so don`t dis them!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

The Welsh are allegedly the closest to the original people of Britain before all the invasions,so don`t dis them!:rolleyes:
    They dis themselves. Barely had the confidence to award themselves a talking shop. They are happy being an appendage of England.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement