Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But the debate your are trying to have is irrelevant. The UK have said that they have no intention of having a hard border. So what is their solution to the problem of not having a hard border.

The EU has proposed that NI be allowed to stay aligned to the EU in order to satisfy the UK line about he border, yet this seems to be not a runner in the UK.

So, the default position, which is what will happen in Dover etc, is a border. What is the solution to avoid that in Ireland. At present, it seems to amount to "we simply won't bother".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

downcow wrote: »
    I guess you don’t really believe that. The troubles ended because the ira were so incredibly infiltrated. Stakeknife, Maginnis (your presidential candidate), etc, etc. They were defeated and the the loyalists turned up the volume with their disgraceful sectarian campaign which more than matched the ira sectarian campaign. Support in both communities deminished. I won’t happen again. Not possible.

At least get the name right of the people involved.

But you've been trying to deliberately derail this thread, particularly with that baiting post, because you don't have any facts or arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It won’t happen again. Not possible.

Seriously? :eek: I passed four burning pyres this afternoon when I went shopping in the middle-of-nowhere France, disgruntled peasants protesting about who-the-feck-knows. Do you really believe that the PSNI warnings about a re-kindling of violence amongst known troublemakers (that you say have been comprehensively infiltrated) is just another part of Project Fear? Well, good luck to you if Brexit turns hard ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I guess you don’t really believe that. The troubles ended because the ira were so incredibly infiltrated. Stakeknife, Maginnis (your presidential candidate), etc, etc. They were defeated and the the loyalists turned up the volume with their disgraceful sectarian campaign which more than matched the ira sectarian campaign. Support in both communities deminished. I won’t happen again. Not possible.

I have been told that paramilitaries on both sides are well prepared and ready to go into action should a hard border be reintroduced on the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But the debate your are trying to have is irrelevant. The UK have said that they have no intention of having a hard border. So what is their solution to the problem of not having a hard border.

The EU has proposed that NI be allowed to stay aligned to the EU in order to satisfy the UK line about he border, yet this seems to be not a runner in the UK.

So, the default position, which is what will happen in Dover etc, is a border. What is the solution to avoid that in Ireland. At present, it seems to amount to "we simply won't bother".

It’s a very fair question. I think some unionists could stomach some checks on Irish Sea if they could see some fair play ie some checks at French/ire border and maybe some very light stuff at Irish border. Spread it out so as it doesn’t leave any one side feeling they are taking all the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No. The current British Army numbers 77,000.

In the past 27,000 couldn't stop 40% of the vehicle fuel being laundered or smuggled. It would leave just 50,000 for GB and the rest of the world, if you include rotation and training and holidays .

And the UK Govt has already ruled out more CCTV cameras.

Good. London is absolutely plastered with them, its frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some might like to have a look a this, obviously it's only covering large companies plans for Brexit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/brexit-impact-tracker/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Yeah ... you might want to revise you history of The Troubles.......

Fantastic post.

I try to remind people of this history. It is amazing how quickly it’s all forgotten or twisted.
    Personally, I think John Major was extremely irresponsible and immoral, doing a dodgy deal just to hang onto power for a few more months.

Anyone who thinks that there is no chance of violence emerging in the North again is naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It’s a very fair question. I think some unionists could stomach some checks on Irish Sea if they could see some fair play ie some checks at French/ire border and maybe some very light stuff at Irish border. Spread it out so as it doesn’t leave any one side feeling they are taking all the pain.

Why should there be any change to the Irish/ French border. Neither of those countries voted to change their borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What??? :confused:

(a) There are already checks at the France-Ireland border (passport, because we're not in Schengen; and phyto-sanitary because we care about the health of our agricultural economy). The EU suggested that extending this model to cover NI would be a good idea, seeing as it's not physically attached to GB and has loads of different rules anyway. The UK government objected.
    (b) "One side" in NI has decided that they want everyone - including the 60% who voted Remain - to take all of the pain that English nationalists wish upon themselves. Why should the Irish (of the Republic or the North) have to suffer for that?

Also, I'm still waiting for you to say whether or not you are happy to give up your cattle-related income in favour of American and Argentinian cowboys, if/when Boris and Jacob decide not to impose border controls on UK imports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Brexit Republic podcast is really good today. They broadcast sir Ivan Rogers speech at a university recently. Makes the UK government sound like a bunch of incompetent novices.

https://pca.st/zE66

So what are you saying? Which side should we wind up? Where should the passports be checked? Irish Sea or Irish border? Or could the English Channel be a more sensitive place to do it? Don’t expect anyone to suggest Channel as that might upset a few old cork republicans 😀

Look, you can have the best of both worlds up there in Northern Ireland. You can have full access to the UK market and you can have full access to Ireland. No restrictions, trading in both, and retaining a first class set of rights afforded to you by the EU while remaining a UK citizen. That's seemingly a fantastic deal which essentially renders NI a 'special economic zone'.

This would be a boon to a NI which, among other problems, has a dysfunctional economy. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Were I you, I'd be very much in favour of remaining in the EU (where NI already receives big grants from the EU) or at the very least bang the drum for what is a wonderful deal for NI.

NI will be screwed in a no deal scenario. The funding lost from the EU will have to be made up from a UK purse which will be collapsing. There will have to be job losses to a bloated public sector which will cause hardship. It is this which could well lead to a United Ireland. Taking May's deal, everyone just carries on as befofe and we put this all behind us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Look, you can have the best of both worlds up there in Northern Ireland. You can have full access to the UK market and you can have full access to Ireland. No restrictions, trading in both, and retaining a first class set of rights afforded to you by the EU while remaining a UK citizen. That's seemingly a fantastic deal which essentially renders NI a 'special economic zone'.

This would be a boon to a NI which, among other problems, has a dysfunctional economy. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Imagine looking back in 30 years and NI being the strong part of the UK everyone wants to live in, where Britain's the backwater with relic industries and an ugly overpopulation problem. Maybe with the WA NI is actually the one part of the pre-Brexit UK that, economically, improves from Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Just listened to that...individual...Brendan O'Neil on Sean O'Rourke today. Well worth a listen to hear an Oxford University expert on Irish politics absolutely hand his arse to him. He tries to frame the remain argument and the border issues as "anti-Irish"!

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9_21480635_15036_18-12-2018_

He's such an obnoxious asshole. He has this equivalence to the "I'm not racist but...", his peasant stock ancestry, as a way to excuse his denigrating of all things Oirland because, you know, he's one of us. He actually claimed to hark back to the days of singing Irish ditties about freedom and such when he was a kid as opposed to now in which he claims we are being dictated to by the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

That is an absolutely disgraceful article. Unbelievably this repugnant buffoon is very often on Sky's Press Preview. 'The Editor of Spiked Online'.

Edit: also snap.
    It's behind a paywall, would you mind posting it here? or at least the worst passages :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Are Unionists that precious?

"We want nothing to do with you or your ways but would you do this one thing for us to make sure we can have some warm fuzzies?"

Recently a lot of noise has been made of FG and Varadkar and Coveney's stance toward the UKGovt.

Which has made a lot of northern Unionists break out the "how durr deys"... At some point the goodwill has got to end or the toddler just won't grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Good. London is absolutely plastered with them, its frightening.

They're currently running trials of FRS's, which means they would require less CCTVs if a system/network of facial recognition cameras ever switches from the current volountary trials into real world use.

Perhaps the trials are running now, in preperation for brexit day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Hurrache wrote:
    He's such an obnoxious asshole. He has this equivalence to the "I'm not racist but...", his peasant stock ancestry, as a way to excuse his denigrating of all things Oirland because, you know, he's one of us. He actually claimed to hark back to the days of singing Irish ditties about freedom and such when he was a kid as opposed to now in which he claims we are being dictated to by the EU

Wouldn't you love to see him come back to his "peasant" roots and try that one out on the west coast. It's easy to toss these things across the Irish Sea, but you wouldn't be long doing it if you're actually in or familiar with the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Spread it out? This is a UK decision, why should Ireland or anyone else pay a price?

2+ years after the ref, 100 days until the exit date and still the UK have no solution. It's all 'hey what about this, or bit if that'

It really is quite simple, hard border or maintain alignment. Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

What??? :confused:

(a) There are already checks at the France-Ireland border (passport, because we're not in Schengen; and phyto-sanitary because we care about the health of our agricultural economy). The EU suggested that extending this model to cover NI would be a good idea, seeing as it's not physically attached to GB and has loads of different rules anyway. The UK government objected.
    (b) "One side" in NI has decided that they want everyone - including the 60% who voted Remain - to take all of the pain that English nationalists wish upon themselves. Why should the Irish (of the Republic or the North) have to suffer for that?

Also, I'm still waiting for you to say whether or not you are happy to give up your cattle-related income in favour of American and Argentinian cowboys, if/when Boris and Jacob decide not to impose border controls on UK imports.

I didn’t see that question earlier. I have just been listening to radio ulster (you can verify it online) and a so-called expert was being asked about what would happen immediately in a no deal Brexit. He was painting a fairly glum picture but he did say when asked about farming that prices of farm produce would jump due to no access to Eu stuff. Just interesting. I don’t take in everything experts say mind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Just watching Channel 4 News and there's Shangar Singham from the Institute For Economic Affairs saying that tomorrow the EU will announce a 6 to 9 month delay in applying WTO rules to Britain after March 29th in a no-deal scenario. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Spread it out? This is a UK decision, why should Ireland or anyone else pay a price?

Ireland already does spread it out- we are not a member of Schengen to facilitate UK dislike thereof - so the passports section of the border is and will remain between the British isles and the continent- rather than between the future EU/UK border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I didn’t see that question earlier. I have just been listening to radio ulster (you can verify it online) and a so-called expert was being asked about what would happen immediately in a no deal Brexit. He was painting a fairly glum picture but he did say when asked about farming that prices of farm produce would jump due to no access to Eu stuff. Just interesting. I don’t take in everything experts say mind you
    You think a country that imports half its food will prevent a single carrot from the EU entering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd say in a no deal scenario the border will remain soft initially. It will be pressure from France and Germany etc which will ultimately lead to a hard border being created. Basically Ireland would be forced to choose between a hard border on the island of Ireland or checks in the Celtic Sea. It will be the proverbial rock and a hard place. It will of course not be of their doing and will be completely of their control and I'm sure will create a lot of resentment between Ireland and the UK.

The British govt probably realise this and will try and absolve themselves of the blame should a hard border occur.

The above scenario may or may not play out. But if it does I could certainly see it being a catalyst to violence, probably on a lower scale than in the past but once the genie is out of the bottle good luck trying to get it back in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

bilston wrote: »
    I'd say in a no deal scenario the border will remain soft initially. It will be pressure from France and Germany etc which will ultimately lead to a hard border being created. Basically Ireland would be forced to choose between a hard border on the island of Ireland or checks in the Celtic Sea. It will be the proverbial rock and a hard place. It will of course not be of their doing and will be completely of their control and I'm sure will create a lot of resentment between Ireland and the UK.

The British govt probably realise this and will try and absolve themselves of the blame should a hard border occur.

The above scenario may or may not play out. But if it does I could certainly see it being a catalyst to violence, probably on a lower scale than in the past but once the genie is out of the bottle good luck trying to get it back in...
    The UK in this scenario would be facing far more serious issues at Dover. Issues that could collapse Brexit and see the UK begging for any trade deal NI or no NI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bilston wrote: »
    I'd say in a no deal scenario the border will remain soft initially. It will be pressure from France and Germany etc which will ultimately lead to a hard border being created. Basically Ireland would be forced to choose between a hard border on the island of Ireland or checks in the Celtic Sea.

It will be porous initially (and probably forever frankly) but by no definition will it officially be "soft". Countries simply do not choose to have completely unregulated land borders and it is not something you can just turn a blind eye to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just watching Channel 4 News and there's Shangar Singham from the Institute For Economic Affairs saying that tomorrow the EU will announce a 6 to 9 month delay in applying WTO rules to Britain after March 29th in a no-deal scenario. Is this correct?

No idea but I guess it's possible since it would give EU countries time to find alternative supply lines.
    Don't think it would do the UK much good as I can't see them getting anything organised in 9 months.

McGiver wrote: »
    It's behind a paywall, would you mind posting it here? or at least the worst passages :)

Link works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Seems bizarre for Irish Ferries to scrap Rosslare to Cherbourg, given the potential next year?

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-ferries-rosslare-france-service-4403460-Dec2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Seems bizarre for Irish Ferries to scrap Rosslare to Cherbourg, given the potential next year?

I had assumed the IF Rosslare service would continue but the WBY has way more capacity anyway so I guess they have done their sums and off loading the OW may make more sense. We'll see.

Its a blow for Rosslare but I presume Stena will still operate to Cherbourg and with Brittany Ferries going from Cork, the South of the country won't be cut off.

Incidentally I heard Mary Wilson interview someone about it this afternoon on RTE and neither of them seemed to know what they were talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement