Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ambro25 wrote: »
    Yesterday's Home Office tweet confirming EUinUK will have to register through the UK's settled portal -and pay £65 a head, 50% for minors- to remain in the UK (and their homes, jobs, etc.) post-transition period.

Classy.

I just wish there was a realistic way of making Leave voters (particularly those who consistently claimed that "nothing would change" for EUinUK) pay those fees and any further costs and disbursements arising from the HO's inevitably catastrophic handling of the thing: that's a required processing through-rate of circa.29,000 EU27 applicants per week between the start live date and by the deadline...but the current live trial of the system is reportedly shambolic at a processing through-rate of 2,000 per week.

Allow the registrants to apply for a refund of their fees in a years time or so. That'll bring it home for the Leavers. And, once the UK screws that up, have some of the registrants sue the entire system into oblivion.

29,000/week is a very large number, need a fair bit of infrastructure there. One wonders how they check 'criminality' - if someone ticks a check box that says 'nope, not me I've never committed a crime', how do they cross-check? Even more infrastructure, and wait till they start screwing up the name matching.

My brief experience using UK websites run out of UK sites, is that they're dreadfully bad, poorly done and unreliable. Haven't had to use a UK gov website fortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Somewhat ironic to read Scottish Tory MPs writing to the Times that a second referendum could break the Union, when in 2014 that same Union was going to safeguard Scotland's Eropean identity! If anything, the present crisis is hastening the break-up of the UK, as national priorities diverge - ironically, an independent Scotland could well have completed accession talks by now!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just as a heads up to those interested in Brexit, there is a drama scheduled on Channel 4 on Jan 7th starting Benedict Cumberbach.

The summary line is "Strategist Dominic Cummings leads a campaign to convince British voters to leave the European Union."

https://youtu.be/h-YM8FnWZAU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just as a heads up to those interested in Brexit, there is a drama scheduled on Channel 4 on Jan 7th starting Benedict Cumberbach.

The summary line is "Strategist Dominic Cummings leads a campaign to convince British voters to leave the European Union."

https://youtu.be/h-YM8FnWZAU[url][/url]
    Yeah will be interesting to see the reviews of this, and the inevitable revelations about its funding if its as generous to the protagonist as it sounds, not really the done thing to make a made for tv drama portraying someone as a hero when they're currently under criminal investigation for those same "heroics".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow who could have predicted such a thing?

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1078583774533902336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

John Redwood just got himself a knighthood. I'm sure he always hankered after one. Wonder what the price was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

road_high wrote: »
    They have tons of cheap dairy, beef and sheep to export- hardly a secret is it? It’ll be soon very quantifiable indeed if the uk are as desperate for a trade deal with all and sundry as they are indicating
    I thought the big worry was that the UK would not have enough food as the UK is a net importer of food. Now the big worry is that they will have a glut of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I thought the big worry was that the UK would not have enough food as the UK is a net importer of food. Now the big worry is that they will have a glut of food.

He's talking about Australia who are a net exporter of food wanting a trade deal with the UK after Brexit and how Australia will have the upper hand in that deal. The problem for the UK is they may not have a significant amount of exports that Australia want.

tuxy wrote: »
    He's talking about Australia who are a net exporter of food wanting a trade deal with the UK after Brexit and how Australia will have the upper hand in that deal. The problem for the UK is they may not have a significant amount of exports that Australia want.
    Sure, so the earlier worry that the UK would not have food to eat due to it being a net importer of food was not warranted (at least in the case of Australian food exports).

Yes but the point was that they currently have single market access with the EU so they can sell large quantities of goods while buying all the food they need. Australia could offer loads of food to them while still making it difficult for them to sell exports. They won't starve but the worry is that Australia and other countries would take advantage of the problems caused by brexit.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes but the point was that they currently have single market access with the EU so they can sell large quantities of goods while buying all the food they need. Australia could offer loads of food to them while still making it difficult for them to sell exports. They won't starve but the worry is that Australia and other countries would take advantage of the problems caused by brexit.
    Yes, that is the point now. But earlier the worry was expressed that one of the big problems was that the UK importing sufficent food. This worry is now unwaranted apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Yes, that is the point now. But earlier the worry was expressed that one of the big problems was that the UK importing sufficent food. This worry is now unwaranted apparently.
    I believe the worry on importing food relates to logistics: the UK food delivery system relies upon JIT food delivery and has no capacity to respond to the Customs and checking requirements imposed by a no deal brexit. That is only a short/medium term problem.

The second problem is that by dropping tariffs barriers, the UK will destroy its own limited food production capacity making it entirely dependent on foreign food sources- which puts it in a very weak position if there is ever an international crisis affecting food supply.

Other than those, there is no problem with food supply with brexit. (Quality of that supply may be a further headache though).

Yes, I was just about to say no sane person was speculating that the UK would starve. But the disruption of the just in time food and medicine supply chains would have very serious consequences.

fash wrote: »
    I believe the worry on importing food relates to logistics: the UK food delivery system relies upon JIT food delivery and has no capacity to respond to the Customs and checking requirements imposed by a no deal brexit. That is only a short/medium term problem.

The second problem is that by dropping tariffs barriers, the UK will destroy its own limited food production capacity making it entirely dependent on foreign food sources- which puts it in a very weak position if there is ever an international crisis affecting food supply.

Other than those, there is no problem with food supply with brexit. (Quality of that supply may be a further headache though).

The logistics issue is a worry, but as you say, a short/medium term problem.

On the longer term issue, I don't think a possible deal with Australia, for example, is enough to destroy their own food industry. Australia (and New Zealand) also supply a lot of Asian countries so don't have the capacity to flood the UK market.

Other foreign suppliers will still have transport and refrigeration costs to contend with and many suppliers will still be in countries without a trade deal so tarrifs will still apply as they do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You are oversimplifying things. If the UK is forced to throw the doors open to cheap food, its own agriculture sector will be wiped out overnight as it cannot compete on price.

It also depends on what sort of food. Do you really expect a head of Australian lettuce to survive the journey as well as one from Spain?

Countries trade with neighbours for a reason: it's cheaper to transport goods over shorter distances. The consumer is used to fresh food these days, not stuff pickled in the colonies and shipped home in a windjammer.

In the event of a no deal Brexit in 3 months the UK will face food shortages in anything they normally import from the continent.

First Gatwick airport sold to the French. Now, 108 million sterling spent on additional ferrys in contracts with France, Denmark and Seaborne (UK ferry service).

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1229/1019448-brexit-ferries/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Isn't the point that it's actually both? The UK will have a glut of certain foods and a shortage of others as the transportation network breaks down?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Isn't the point that it's actually both? The UK will have a glut of certain foods and a shortage of others as the transportation network breaks down?

As will we.

Frozen chips for the Irish market are made in the UK because we do not grow Maris Piper potatoes, favouring Roosters. In time, we will become much less dependent on processed food which is currently imported from the UK.

While we have Tesco and the like, they will find it easier to import such foods into Ireland, but if there are significant import regulations and tariffs then they might change their supply arrangements. Aldi and Lidl will be more likely to use their German origins and import from Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Igotadose wrote: »
    First Gatwick airport sold to the French. Now, 108 million sterling spent on additional ferrys in contracts with France, Denmark and Seaborne (UK ferry service).

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1229/1019448-brexit-ferries/

How has no one in the UK civil service gone "lads this is ****ing mental"...

I know they have... But how is this now a rational approach to a self inflicted nonsense?

Eugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be lying if I expected something positive to happen over the holidays but even expecting nothing, I was disappointed. What exactly is the objective of this £65? Is it a cash grab? Migrants already have to register for National Insurance so it's not a case of registering the previously unregistered. It seems like the sort of thing that the prospect of appearing callous might have prevented the Tory party from doing this before no longer impedes them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'd be lying if I expected something positive to happen over the holidays but even expecting nothing, I was disappointed. What exactly is the objective of this £65? Is it a cash grab? Migrants already have to register for National Insurance so it's not a case of registering the previously unregistered. It seems like the sort of thing that the prospect of appearing callous might have prevented the Tory party from doing this before no longer impedes them.

If they sent out vans with information on the side telling immigrants to go home or face arrest it can be taken as a given that they are no longer concerned about how they are perceived.

In fact, they are probably playing to a particular part of the electorate to strengthen their argument that they are acting. This tweet certainly shows that they are doing something to prepare for Brexit, it just so happens to be something many are repulsed by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If they sent out vans with information on the side telling immigrants to go home or face arrest it can be taken as a given that they are no longer concerned about how they are perceived.

In fact, they are probably playing to a particular part of the electorate to strengthen their argument that they are acting. This tweet certainly shows that they are doing something to prepare for Brexit, it just so happens to be something many are repulsed by.

It looks like it'll cost more to administer than anything else. The parts of the electorate that will respond to this positively aren't the parts which will show growth in votes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'd be lying if I expected something positive to happen over the holidays but even expecting nothing, I was disappointed. .

So little time left till Brexit and the politicians are off doing whatever. Like they earned an Xmas break? Corbyn's correct, bring them back to work early (Corby and correct is a very rare combination.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Igotadose wrote: »
    So little time left till Brexit and the politicians are off doing whatever. Like they earned an Xmas break? Corbyn's correct, bring them back to work early (Corby and correct is a very rare combination.)

So rare it isn't believable.
    He suggested this knowing that there wouldn't be an appetite for it on any side of the house. His usual MO of appearing righteous when it is meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm guessing there'll be a few thousand not registered who'll be potential Windrushes.
    Not dodgy Eastern European cash-in-hand plumbers of tabloid infamy, but that nice Mrs Schmidt down the road who came over in '89, married a local man and had 4 kids but because hubby was working she never bothered getting a NI number. All the bills in his name as well so absolutely no way of proving she's been here 29 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

As will we.

Frozen chips for the Irish market are made in the UK because we do not grow Maris Piper potatoes, favouring Roosters. In time, we will become much less dependent on processed food which is currently imported from the UK.

While we have Tesco and the like, they will find it easier to import such foods into Ireland, but if there are significant import regulations and tariffs then they might change their supply arrangements. Aldi and Lidl will be more likely to use their German origins and import from Europe.

Brexit inadvertently saving the health of the nation, silver linings!

People will have to learn how to cook, god forbid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The Brits are paying the French to print their new Blue Passports; they're paying the French to process residents' permits; they're paying the French for their nuclear electricity; the French have just bought Gatwick; and now the Brits are paying the French to ferry them across the Channel.

Never mind turning the clocks back to the Imperial Britain of the 1800s - it's starting to look like they really want to go all the way back to Norman times. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There doesn't even seem to be any mandate for such harsh anti-immigration measures. Let's assume that say 5m or 8m British people are xenophobes or racists or whatever : that still only represents a minority of the population, so it's hard to work out just what May and the Tories are up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm guessing there'll be a few thousand not registered who'll be potential Windrushes.
    Not dodgy Eastern European cash-in-hand plumbers of tabloid infamy, but that nice Mrs Schmidt down the road who came over in '89, married a local man and had 4 kids but because hubby was working she never bothered getting a NI number. All the bills in his name as well so absolutely no way of proving she's been here 29 years.
    There are already loads of examples of exactly this happening to people just like that who have tried to establish their right to stay in advance of this initiative. The Guardian website is full of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

Erm, those vans (which were years ago and probably never existed except as a photo-opportunity) were specifically aimed at illegal immigrants. Could you please explain to me why illegal immigrants should not be reminded that they have no right to be in a country and should leave?

And if you are complaining about the cost to EU citizens of applying for the right to permanent residency (which the Irish do not have to apply for) then ask yourself how much it costs to apply to become an Irish Citizen or even to renew your passport. National Insurance numbers do not bestow residency rights, by the way.

And I don't think reciprocal arrangements have been offered by many EU countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement