Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The ferry contracts have gone to two well established EU ferry companies
    and a UK shell company which has no assets or experience.

"Why choose a company that never moved a single truck in their entire history and give them £14m? I don't understand the logic of that,"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What do you all reckon would happen if May's deal is rejected by the impending vote in January?

Would there be a possibility of Cabinet just saying, feck this, we can unilaterally withdraw A50 now, let's just do it.

Maybe the fallout would be worse than a few Etonites dictating the destruction of Britain with a No Deal scenario.

But I think myself that a good many of UK residents are not really that politically aware, and get their information from the divided media. You are on one side or the other.

I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

"Why choose a company that never moved a single truck in their entire history and give them £14m? I don't understand the logic of that,"
    And the contracted ferry capacity is about 5% of the Dover - Calais daily capacity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nody wrote: »
    And the contracted ferry capacity is about 5% of the Dover - Calais daily capacity...

My guess would be they're putting this in as a dedicated fast channel for certain crucial imports

Bambi wrote: »
    My guess would be they're putting this in as a dedicated fast channel for certain crucial imports

Theresa May's insulin perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,491 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Interesting set of EU wide opinion here. Not much solace for the Bexiteer but I would imagine they might be somewhat triumphant to be viewed in this way.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n01/on-brexit/what-europeans-talk-about-when-they-talk-about-brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What do you all reckon would happen if May's deal is rejected by the impending vote in January?

Would there be a possibility of Cabinet just saying, feck this, we can unilaterally withdraw A50 now, let's just do it.

Maybe the fallout would be worse than a few Etonites dictating the destruction of Britain with a No Deal scenario.

But I think myself that a good many of UK residents are not really that politically aware, and get their information from the divided media. You are on one side or the other.

I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

A50 won't be withdrawn without another referendum. Even as a Remainer I can see that that would be totally undemocratic and could lead to very serious consequences.

If May's deal is defeated (which it probably will be) then the options are extend A50 (needs EU27 agreement), a general election either called by May, or on the back of a defeat for the govt in a no confidence motion, a second referendum or as well a managed a no deal scenario as possible.

I imagine there will be an attempt to extend A50 first and then we will go from there. Even if it is extended it is likely to be for a matter of weeks, you're really just kicking the can down the road, or more likely giving more time to allow for as organised a no deal scenario as possible...

Anyway I hope we've all enjoyed the last 10 days or so of Brexit respite because come Monday week it will be front centre and back of the news agenda again, if anything it will be far more chaotic than the last few weeks... you ain't seen nothing yet...

bilston wrote: »
    A50 won't be withdrawn without another referendum. Even as a Remainer I can see that that would be totally undemocratic and could lead to very serious consequences.

If May's deal is defeated (which it probably will be) then the options are extend A50 (needs EU27 agreement), a general election either called by May, or on the back of a defeat for the govt in a no confidence motion, a second referendum or as well a managed a no deal scenario as possible.

I imagine there will be an attempt to extend A50 first and then we will go from there. Even if it is extended it is likely to be for a matter of weeks, you're really just kicking the can down the road, or more likely giving more time to allow for as organised a no deal scenario as possible...

Anyway I hope we've all enjoyed the last 10 days or so of Brexit respite because come Monday week it will be front centre and back of the news agenda again.

I thought an extension would only be granted if there was a significant change in circumstances, such as a GE/people's vote.

Anyway. My feeling is that No Deal will not happen. I am just guessing here. But the WA as it stands is not appealing to hard Brexiteers either.

What a total mess, and down to the wire. Ah well, we are living in the midst of a significant period in UK history. Some consolation!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

One of the directors of that company gives his nationality as 'English'. I did not realise that England had broken away from the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and now issued their own passports - soon to be blue (but printed in France).
    Company Director
    DUDLEY, Glenn Roy
    Correspondence address
    Curtis House, 34 Third Avenue, Hove, England, BN3 2PD
    Role ACTIVE
    Director
    Date of birth
    April 1954
    Appointed on
    5 April 2017
    Nationality
    English
    Country of residence
    England
    Occupation
    Marine Consultant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Keatsian

One of the directors of that company gives his nationality as 'English'. I did not realise that England had broken away from the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and now issued their own passports - soon to be blue (but printed in France).

English is still a nationality, even though for official purposes its people are citizens of the United Kingdom. There is no designation you can put next to “nationality” that covers all of the UK, since United Kingdomish didn’t catch on for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Keatsian wrote: »
    English is still a nationality, even though for official purposes its people are citizens of the United Kingdom. There is no designation you can put next to “nationality” that covers all of the UK, since United Kingdomish didn’t catch on for some reason.

?

Thought British was the nationality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

lawred2 wrote:

I know plenty of Scots and Welsh who would disagree.

First Up wrote: »
    I know plenty of Scots and Welsh who would disagree.

I'm sure they would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Keatsian

lawred2 wrote: »
    ?

Try that one up North and see how you get on.

If England is a nation (or Scotland or Wales), it follows that its people are of English nationality.

Keatsian wrote: »
    Try that one up North and see how you get on.

If England is a nation (or Scotland or Wales), it follows that its people are of English nationality.

I think you'd find as many only willing to be considered so as the opposite..

It's only a technical point. I don't care one bit what they consider themselves to be.

British is a formal legal term for the nationality of UK citizens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lawred2 wrote: »
    I think you'd find as many only willing to be considered so as the opposite..

It's only a technical point. I don't care one bit what they consider themselves to be.

British is a formal legal term for the nationality of UK citizens.

I thought nationality was printed on the front of passports. Now there is a problem with language as we have both Eire and Ireland on the front, but most refer to themselves as Irish. I thought British passports had Great Britain on theirs. That would make the bearer British.

The fact is that this company was a £2 company founded in 5th April 2017, and not filed any accounts, nor required to until 31 January 2020, just after the end of the transition period ends.

I think it is a bit odd that such a company is given a large Gov contract with no tendering, and no history of any sort.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If there is no deal by Jan. 21, 2019, the British government must make a statement within five days on what the United Kingdom plans to do, according to the European Union (Withdrawal) Act of 2018.

So effectively they have three weeks to decide on whether they are going with TM's Withdrawl Treaty (on the 14th) or look for an extension or go for the hard Brexit.

Not sure if this act can easily be amended (or if the political will is there to do amend it) so I can't see it ending too well given that the British government don't appear to be under a whole lot of pressure currently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I thought nationality was printed on the front of passports. Now there is a problem with language as we have both Eire and Ireland on the front, but most refer to themselves as Irish. I thought British passports had Great Britain on theirs. That would make the bearer British.

The fact is that this company was a £2 company founded in 5th April 2017, and not filed any accounts, nor required to until 31 January 2020, just after the end of the transition period ends.

I think it is a bit odd that such a company is given a large Gov contract with no tendering, and no history of any sort.

The UK is made up of four individual countries which is why it is called United ,so everyone is British and is also recognised as English,Scottish,Irish or Welsh but that is only really recognised within the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A bit of a scandal brewing here? There are already many questions on Twitter as to how a dubious company could be awarded a multi million pound contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When you see these two bit Cos getting contracts your ears prick up. Remember the 2 person outfit from nowhere that got the re-electrification contract in Puerto Rico?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Water John wrote:
    When you see these two bit Cos getting contracts your ears prick up. Remember the 2 person outfit from nowhere that got the re-electrification contract in Puerto Rico?

Yes, I can see manufacturing and retail companies whose business depends on seamless transport connections entrusting their operations to them.

Heaven help us.

Probably one of the first of many dodgy inexplicable contacts to be handed out

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Strazdas wrote: »
    A bit of a scandal brewing here? There are already many questions on Twitter as to how a dubious company could be awarded a multi million pound contract.

I guess someone is going to profit from it, be interesting to know if they have any connections.

This is worth a read about the history of this particular company
    https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2018/11/05/thanet-council-dismisses-request-for-officer-bribery-investigation-as-unsubstantiated/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

murphaph wrote: »
    In fairness to the businesses and state agencies involved, the figures clearly show we have become even less reliant on the UK market than before the referendum. It's down to under 10% of our exports which is really quite a remarkable achievement. More can and is being done right now though. Brexit may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Ireland medium term.

Are exports down to the UK by 10% in goods or services or both? I would be wary of that figure if it included services as there are a lot of companies impacting Irish trade figures that don't really have a presence in the state bar paying a small amount of CT and an audit fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There is another well known freight and logistics company called the Seabourne Group. When I heard this first, I thought it was them. I wonder will they be making noises about their good name being trashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

devnull wrote: »
    I guess someone is going to profit from it, be interesting to know if they have any connections.

This is worth a read about the history of this particular company
    https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2018/11/05/thanet-council-dismisses-request-for-officer-bribery-investigation-as-unsubstantiated/

People with knowledge of public service procurement saying on Twitter that something very dodgy appears to have happened here. Normally a company like this wouldn't be touched with a barge pole.

The amount of money involved is striking too, £14m is a hell of a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Current migrant attempts to cross the channel aren't helping things.

They're Africans and Syrians expelled by WASP policies from Africa and the Middle East.

They are just coming home to roost.

The Brits broke it, they bought it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Strazdas wrote: »
    People with knowledge of public service procurement saying on Twitter that something very dodgy appears to have happened here. Normally a company like this wouldn't be touched with a barge pole.

The amount of money involved is striking too, £14m is a hell of a lot of money.

Hardly surprising that some people will try and profit out of Brexit though is it really, there's money to be made from people suffering, just ask Jacob Rees-Mogg's father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

dresden8 wrote: »
    They're Africans and Syrians expelled by WASP policies from Africa and the Middle East.

They are just coming home to roost.

The Brits broke it, they bought it.

Well actually they are mostly Iranians and they are coming from France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Well actually they are mostly Iranians and they are coming from France.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/486911/Migrants-travelling-to-UK-across-the-Channel-in-makeshift-boats-and-dinghys

No mention of Iranians here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement