Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

EdgeCase wrote: »
    He basically put vaguely estimated costs on the side of a bus and presented none of the benefits.

I mean I don't like paying for petrol but my car doesn't run without it. If you only presented the fact that petrol costs me €40 a week, I would probably stop buying it, if I didn't understand it's what makes my car go!

This is exactly the point I am making. Both sides stretched the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Jacob Rees-Mogg is travelling to the North to attend a DUP fundraising dinner:

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/jacob-rees-mogg-turns-down-tories-to-fundraise-for-dup-1-8753578

You'd wonder that the DUP do not have more sense. It is in the Brexiteers interest to decouple NI as far as possible as then GB, or England, can do its own thing. If NI remains fully connected then there is no end of trouble for their plans, as Irish American congressmen and senators will start agitating if the GFA is overthrown and this will queer their US trade deal. If the DUP somehow keep NI on board, then the wilder Brexiteer plans would lead to a border poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

lawred2 wrote: »
    You quite clearly are not neutral nor have you ever been neutral.

All your posts are a testament to your Brexiteering credentials even down to the use of jaded terminolgy such as 'remoaners'.

I'm yet to hear anyone even vaguely neutral refer to remain voters as remoaners.

Yes, not nuetral anymore
    How you can know what my feelings were 2 years ago is another quite remarkable insight you have.

Again listen to your own language. I just heard a presenter today having to admit that he was wrong to continually use the term ‘crash out’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Theanswers wrote: »
    Very few of the border counties in the ROI have a good road network...

Perhaps our government (ROI) should invest in that direction instead of below the Galway/ Dublin line...

They’re not that bad- bar Louth most of them haven’t warranted full Motorways but the other N routes have all been significantly upgraded. There is a lot of investment going into and planned for roads in donegal and Monaghan in particular.
    Derry to Belfast for example would be full motorway a decade ago if it had been party of the south.

downcow wrote: »
    Yes, not nuetral anymore
    How you can know what my feelings were 2 years ago is another quite remarkable insight you have.

Again listen to your own language. I just heard a presenter today having to admit that he was wrong to continually use the term ‘crash out’

You were no more a remain voter than the man on the moon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yes, not nuetral anymore

If the UK leaves without any replacements for current EU policies, then it is an entirely accurate term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

You'd wonder that the DUP do not have more sense. It is in the Brexiteers interest to decouple NI as far as possible as then GB, or England, can do its own thing. If NI remains fully connected then there is no end of trouble for their plans, as Irish American congressmen and senators will start agitating if the GFA is overthrown and this will queer their US trade deal. If the DUP somehow keep NI on board, then the wilder Brexiteer plans would lead to a border poll.
    The dup have a blind sense of "loyalty" to betty Windsor.most other people in the UK couldn't really care less.for decades the dup have been pandered too and allowed do what they wanted.hard to change from always saying no to everything

boggerman1 wrote: »
    The dup have a blind sense of "loyalty" to betty Windsor.most other people in the UK couldn't really care less.for decades the dup have been pandered too and allowed do what they wanted.hard to change from always saying no to everything

The DUP are living a history and past the English and real British society hasn’t lived in over a century really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

So we are finally coming to the endgame of this silly escapade by the uk.

Frankly I could not believe when they voted to leave, and quickly concluded that it would be easier to find a way to stay in than to leave.

I still believe this to be the case, but it has been an unedifying affair for the uk, but it will pass quickly if they stay,

A few observations if I may.

People say that the uk economy has not collapsed. While this may be true I think that it is because there in an underlying belief that they will stay in (amoung big business) , should the unthinkable happen however a very severe sharp shock could ensue that might be very difficult to quantify.

Secondly should they leave and it were to go pear shaped then it might be likely they might want to re enter at a later date. Re entry would entail joining the euro and shengen (am I right) which I imagine would be very unpalatable to brexiteers, so much so that an arguament could be made for staying to hold onto sterling and out of shengen.

The whole process has been tiresome and drawn out by the uk footdragging, and though I hope they stay they are not exactly making it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

boggerman1 wrote: »

No disrespect,but as British citizens isn't it normal for people from NI to be loyal to the Queen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes, not nuetral anymore

It's fairly obvious from each and every one of your 'lady doth protest too much' type posts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RobMc59 wrote: »
    No disrespect,but as British citizens isn't it normal for people from NI to be loyal to the Queen?
    yeah because every Labour voter is staunch monarchist too.

Interesting to find someone who claims to know less about NI than the current NI Secretary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭briany

unit 1 wrote: »

Secondly should they leave and it were to go pear shaped then it might be likely they might want to re enter at a later date. Re entry would entail joining the euro and shengen (am I right) which I imagine would be very unpalatable to brexiteers, so much so that an arguament could be made for staying to hold onto sterling and out of shengen.

It would be unpalatable to Remainers, never mind Brexiteers. That's why Mogg & co. are pushing so hard for an exit now. They know that the terms of re-entry will be unpalatable enough to the electorate that Brexit will be safe for at least a generation, and by the time you get to the next generation, they'll have grown up outside the EU and accept that as what is.

I dunno most UK labeled food I seen is highly processed ****e that one can do without

The humble maris piper is very popular in Ireland I believe,so not all UK food is the work of the devil:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

unit 1 wrote: »
    People say that the uk economy has not collapsed. While this may be true I think that it is because there in an underlying belief that they will stay in (amoung big business) , should the unthinkable happen however a very severe sharp shock could ensue that might be very difficult to quantify.

I know it's not you saying it but it really frustrates me when Brexiteers use the "economy hasn't collapsed yet" argument...the UK hasn't left the EU yet...Brexit hasn't happened...the worst is yet to come.

Of course job losses and the contraction of the UK economy won't be an overnight event either so no doubt Brexiteers will be able to pass the blame on to something or someone else should the economy tank over one year or two year period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

road_high wrote: »
    They’re not that bad- bar Louth most of them haven’t warranted full Motorways but the other N routes have all been significantly upgraded. There is a lot of investment going into and planned for roads in donegal and Monaghan in particular.
    Derry to Belfast for example would be full motorway a decade ago if it had been party of the south.

Headed for Donegal, once you leave the dual carriageway outside kells and enter Ulster roads in cavan you are in for slow progress the rest of the journey. Definite move from a hare in Leinster to a snails pace in ulster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

briany wrote: »
    It would be unpalatable to Remainers, never mind Brexiteers. That's why Mogg & co. are pushing so hard for an exit now. They know that the terms of re-entry will be unpalatable enough to the electorate that Brexit will be safe for at least a generation, and by the time you get to the next generation, they'll have grown up outside the EU and accept that as what is.
    Will they ?

Continued austerity won't win hearts and minds.

Increased immigration from China and India won't win over the xenophobes.

Without good trade deals the only way the UK can make a profit is to reduce the overheads. Lower workers rights, lower standards, devaluing the pound.

There is nothing in Brexit for the Have Nots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

one of its principals is a brother of lord bamford, i substantial tory donator, who gave 1m to support the brexiteers

zapitastas wrote: »
    Headed for Donegal, once you leave the dual carriageway outside kells and enter Ulster roads in cavan you are in for slow progress the rest of the journey. Definite move from a hare in Leinster to a snails pace in ulster

Try the section through Co Fermanagh! The N3 is a highway by comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

road_high wrote: »
    Try the section through Co Fermanagh! The N3 is a highway by comparison

I know it only too well. Trying to get through Virginia in cavan is the worst section though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

flutered wrote: »
    one of its principals is a brother of lord bamford, i substantial tory donator, who gave 1m to support the brexiteers

Have read different reports about this, I'm not sure it's true. I think it's just a name co-incidence that this Seagrove Freight company has a Mark Bamford, different person.
    The Bamford Brothers tend not to deal in such piddling amounts.

I don't think there's any corruption here, probably just the same level of incompetence and penny-pinching that saw Basil give the building work to O'Reilly builders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This must be trolling or else you slept through the troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

murphaph wrote: »

Maybe it's Karen Bradley?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/ni-secretary-didn-t-realise-nationalists-don-t-vote-for-unionists-1.3621561

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I don’t have the time or the energy to respond to all that.

Standard Brexiteer response to being confronted with actual factual information: Deny Reality. Like I said in my other post predictions are not 100% but a significant majority have been accurate: Pound lost value, investment stalled etc.

You can deny and make all the arguments about how Brexit is great when its not in reality but the problem is you'll probably be the first kind of person to turn around and blame the EU and everyone else for your countries folly when the pound crashes, the economy gets rekt, people are rioting and the UK and Brexit will become synomymous with the "It's Happening" meme.

murphaph wrote: »

The original post mentioned the DUP being loyal to lizzy windsor and I commented that as British citizens what's wrong with that?-I wasn't trying to be offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The humble maris piper is very popular in Ireland I believe,so not all UK food is the work of the devil:)

Many people in Britain eat Brussels Sprouts at Xmas, what conclusion do you draw from that?

Many people in Britain eat Brussels Sprouts at Xmas, what conclusion do you draw from that?

A very windy time!- but an Xmas dinner(sprouts included) with an ice cold Murphys is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

tumblr_pkmgt0UsNJ1u5f06vo1_540.jpg

I can only guess the British media are seriously failing their readers / viewers. Half the population think they won't be negatively impacted by Brexit in the slightest.

Strazdas wrote: »
    tumblr_pkmgt0UsNJ1u5f06vo1_540.jpg

I can only guess the British media are seriously failing their readers / viewers. Half the population think they won't be negatively impacted by Brexit in the slightest.

Headline is equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears and singing la la tunes.
    You can’t just will away tariffs and trade barriers with positive thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The original post mentioned the DUP being loyal to lizzy windsor and I commented that as British citizens what's wrong with that?-I wasn't trying to be offensive.
    Who mentioned offence? I just think you are trying to get a rise out of some posters here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement