Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Midlife wrote: »
    Yeah, this tends to be a decent enough forum but these one-line wind up's are pretty sad.

It's a dsicussion forum, not a wind up forum.

Right, I'm off out now. I find it sad that you see anyone who disagrees with you, hates the EU and has a clear opinion as being on a wind-up. We haven't long left until we find out again that I am right.

As my name suggests, I like Cryptocurrency and if posters here listened and not laughed in 2013 they'd be set up by now. Also, my dislike of the EU is what had me into Crypto in 2012/2013 in the first place.

The pub, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Strazdas wrote: »
    I don't mind that Brexiteers are posting here though. It's good to hear the actual opinions of those who are driving the process forward.

Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

On 29th March 2019 the UK will 750+ trade deals with various countries and other economic entities based on its membership of the European Union.

One day later it will have NONE.

So best of luck.

But if u listen to brexiteers or lbc radio and the loonies who phone in they can trade away on wto terms and the rest.everyone else knows tho is reality but in fantasy land of brexit its all milk and honey with the odd unicorn threw in.plus 3 pin plugs like a guy said on James O'Brien's show.what a win!

boggerman1 wrote: »
    But if u listen to brexiteers or lbc radio and the loonies who phone in they can trade away on wto terms and the rest.everyone else knows tho is reality but in fantasy land of brexit its all milk and honey with the odd unicorn threw in.plus 3 pin plugs like a guy said on James O'Brien's show.what a win!

James O'Brien show is setup, they put idiots through and not the real callers who challenge him. He uses the mute button a lot to rant over people once he sees a window to attack. Phone up his show with a stupid brexiteer character and idea next week and bet his team put you straight on and all over twitter. Easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

James O'Brien show is setup, they put idiots through and not the real callers who challenge him. He uses the mute button a lot to rant over people once he sees a window to attack. Phone up his show with a stupid brexiteer character and idea next week and bet his team put you straight on and all over twitter. Easy.
    But you're coming out with the exact same nonsense that they are. Does that mean you're just a setup too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Midlife wrote: »
    Yeah, this tends to be a decent enough forum but these one-line wind up's are pretty sad.

It's a dsicussion forum, not a wind up forum.

No, I think that this kind of poster is needed in this forum. I'm sure some people come here to see what's happening in the Brexit fiasco. When they read the rabid ramblings of this poster, they can see what's behind Brexit and why it has come this far. There really are people out there as deluded as this fella, and there are many. This is why the project hasn't been dumped long ago, or why it was even necessary in the first place.

In fact, I believe Brexit is necessary to put this type of little Englander to bed once and for all. Then a more mature UK can emerge and take it's place in the world again.... if the UK doesn't survive, then England can emerge on it's own.

No, I think that this kind of poster is needed in this forum. I'm sure some people come here to see what's happening in the Brexit fiasco. When they read the rabid ramblings of this poster, they can see what's behind Brexit and why it has come this far. There really are people out there as deluded as this fella, and there are many. This is why the project hasn't been dumped long ago, or why it was even necessary in the first place.

In fact, I believe Brexit is necessary to put this type of little Englander to bed once and for all. Then a more mature UK can emerge and take it's place in the world again.... if the UK doesn't survive, then England can emerge on it's own.

sigh,

the wonderful thing about these message boards is that posts like this where they are so sure about themselves are there to be revisited.

Your whole world is about to be shattered. It will happen, it will be good and the EU is toast. We can revisit this, Sierra Nevada All Day IPA is calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,491 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Scotland had their once in a generation referendum, the result was clear and stood by. Most SNP seats voted leave.

And once out and the UK is fine and as the EU melts the talk next generation will subside.

Not in the slightest bit worried. Always follow through with Referendum results is the golden rule. Spain, Ireland and Denmark could learn from that.

They don't have the courage to follow through on the simple results of the referendum. That is nobody's fault other than the UK's. They are free to leave whenever they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

downcow wrote: »
    That sounds like what ireland might be bribed to do
    The whole of NI has been "bribed" since the mid thirties in that case. It hasn't been self sufficient since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,850 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There are some extremists but there are many who just don't think about politics or societal influences as something which they both influence and can contribute to.

I have a friend working in a company in the UK making parts for car manufacturers. She works in the engineering department and said that she is very surprised at how little Brexit comes up either in work related conversations or in casual chat amongst co-workers.

i suspect that a large portion of the 17M consisted of such people, not really sure what the EU was doing that was so bad but sure the idea of complete independence sounds attractive, why doesn't it. Like a 16 year old wanting to run away from home. They haven't actually stopped to analyse the situation or it's impact.

I suspect this poster is from a much smaller group who focuses on conspiracy theories and extremist publications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

sigh,

the wonderful thing about these message boards is that posts like this where they are so sure about themselves are there to be revisited.

Your whole world is about to be shattered. It will happen, it will be good and the EU is toast. We can revisit this, Sierra Nevada All Day IPA is calling.

As long as you remember that it's a two way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2018/09/28/with-historic-first-f-35b-landings-on-hms-queen-elizabeth-the-uk-is-back-in-the-saddle-of-carrier-aviation/

3 new state of the art aircraft carriers in production and I'm sure more will be added.

There is a campaign to get some of the new frigate fleet made in the H&W yard in Belfast which would be a great economic boost to the area. I'm sure you will all support it.

The UK has become quite a militarist society. The fetishisation of the World Wars being a symptom of this. Britain was really the only society in the EU that was still carrying a toxic military culture and the EU is possibly better off without its influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Yes, nice.
    Even more impressive then this;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victory

One the the Royal navy's 2 historic ships in the 'active' fleet.

"The Royal Navy is the principal naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. As of November 2018, there are 75 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy. 20 of the commissioned vessels are major surface combatants (six guided missile destroyers, 13 frigates and one aircraft carrier), and 10 are nuclear-powered submarines (four ballistic missile submarines and six fleet submarines). In addition the Navy possesses two amphibious transport docks, 13 mine countermeasures vessels, 23 patrol vessels, four survey vessels, one icebreaker and two historic warships (Victory and Bristol)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Most SNP seats voted leave.

Have a look at the map below and can you guess which colour is Remain and which is Leave?

brexit.jpgfree online image hosting

Do you know where Scotland is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

listermint wrote:
    I have a good friend who has a form of Asperger's and spends their entire day promoting anti EU propaganda and pro russian information he holds Putin up as a strong man. Its these types of people that third party actors target .
    Wanted to say that this how current Russian disinformation campaign works (trumpist/populist tactics are very similar) - basically trying to convince that everyone is lying and there's no truth.
    This was in detail described by intelligence agencies of central and Eastern European EU countries, for example Security Information Service of the Czech Republic report from 2015.
    In 2015, Russian information operations in the Czech Republic focused especially on:
    - weakening the strength of Czech media (covert infiltration of Czech media and the Internet, massive production of Russian propaganda and disinformation controlled by the state);
    - strengthening the information resistance of the Russian audience (prefabricated disinformation from Czech sources for the Russian audience);
    - exerting influence on the perceptions and thoughts of the Czech audience, weakening society’s will for resistance or confrontation (information and disinformation overload of the audience, relativization of truth and objectivity, promoting the motto “everyone is lyingâ€);
    - creating or promoting inter-societal and inter-political tensions in the Czech Republic (foundation of puppet organizations, covert and open support of populist or
    extremist subjects);
    - disrupting the coherence and readiness of NATO and the EU (attempts to disrupt Czech-Polish relations, disinformation and alarming rumors defaming the US and NATO, disinformation creating a virtual threat of a war with Russia);
    - damaging the reputation of Ukraine and isolating the country internationally (involving Czech citizens and organizations in influence operations covertly led in
    Ukraine or against it by Russia).

The above-mentioned activities pose a threat to the Czech Republic, EU and NATO not only in relation to the Ukrainian and Syrian conflicts. The infrastructure created for achieving these goals will not disappear with the end of the two conflicts. It can be used to destabilize or manipulate Czech society or political environment at any time, if Russia wishes to do so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sigh,

Thought you had left (Maybe like Brexit, you don't know what way you want to leave!)...
    Right, I'm off out now.

I find it sad that you see anyone who disagrees with you, hates the EU and has a clear opinion as being on a wind-up. We haven't long left until we find out again that I am right.
    I know people in the UK who are Brexiteers and are open to listening to facts and will take them on board.
    You and most of the other Brexiteers on here do not listen to facts and tend to throw a comment our there without staying to discuss it. You are happy to deal in mistruths and truth-twisting to suit whatever agenda it is that you have.
    Good luck with that: as Lincoln said "you can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time"

In hindsight Britain will be seen to have been the first victim to be taken in by Russian activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Have a look at the map below and can you guess which colour is Remain and which is Leave?

You know the percentages are not wildly different in uellow or blue. Seems there are some on here who want to give the impression that there is a massive majority in Scotland and NI who want to remain. Another spin on the facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

Granted, as an outside observer your input is irrelevant, but it’s really quite tiresome to hear the pro-EU camp on the one hand accuse leave voters of being reborn Victorian Imperialists, whilst anti-EU voters suspect remainers of all looking to make Britain a mere subservient territory of a fully federalised EU.
    Not leave voters - but some of the English political class certainly.

You know the percentages are not wildly different in uellow or blue. Seems there are some on here who want to give the impression that there is a massive majority in Scotland and NI who want to remain. Another spin on the facts!

• Advertisement

The other guy stated 'Most SNP seats voted leave'... I corrected him with the use of an easy to follow map

The map shows which constituency had the majority leave (in blue) and the majority remain (in yellow)

It is an indisputable fact that the majority of those that voted in NI and in Scotland voted to remain in the EU - I can post nothing to change that fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

62% votes remain in Scotland- should be 75% to be legitimate in your eyes? Whereas a 52% leave is totally legitimate and an afront to democracy if not implemented ( whatever that actually means)

The other guy stated 'Most SNP seats voted leave'... I corrected him with the use of an easy to follow map

The map shows which constituency had the majority leave (in blue) and the majority remain (in yellow)

It is an indisputable fact that the majority of those that voted in NI and in Scotland voted to remain in the EU - I can post nothing to change that fact

Absolutely agree. Just let’s all stay in reality and accept it was pretty close everywhere incl the strongest remain areas and the strongest leave areas. My point is just that it was so close that it is irrelevant starting to break it down. The fact is the majority of uk voters voted to leave. And surprise surprise there were slight variations across the country

Did you actually read the post he replied to? Because that was the spin you're looking for.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Did you actually read the post he replied to? Because that was the spin you're looking for.

No. It’s hard to read them all

No. It’s hard to read them all
    But you felt fully qualified to lecture him on what he was saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ah would you stop now that isnt a spin. Scotland voted by a landslide majority to remain. NI by a sizable 56% as well. This is why the UK wont exist by the end of the next decade: English and Brexiteer delusions and denials of factual reality and ignoring these regions will mean Scotland will be likely independent and Ireland Reunified with just a rump state of Little England.

Pride before the fall, Pride before the fall....

Honestly like I said before should they crash out the UK will literally become a Meme Country for being a prime example in ignorant stupidity and political incompetence.

Absolutely agree. Just let’s all stay in reality and accept it was pretty close everywhere incl the strongest remain areas and the strongest leave areas. My point is just that it was so close that it is irrelevant starting to break it down. The fact is the majority of uk voters voted to leave. And surprise surprise there were slight variations across the country

The UK is a political and head of state union - Scotland or NI are not some region of England although that is probably how Brexiters see them

For clarity, here is how the 4 constituent parts of the UK voted

brexit.jpg

Factually completely incorrect. The strongest leave/remain voting constituencies did so by huge majorities respectively.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The UK is a political and head of state union - Scotland or NI are not some region of England although that is probably how Brexiters see them

For clarity, here is how the 4 constituent parts of the UK voted

brexit.jpg

As the EU pointed out to the SNP,The UK referendum vote was as one so all that is academic at the moment-if the worst comes to the worst and Britain leaves the EU and Scotland has another referendum to leave the UK that's the UKs loss but for the future-not now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement