Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

downcow wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Just let’s all stay in reality and accept it was pretty close everywhere incl the strongest remain areas and the strongest leave areas. My point is just that it was so close that it is irrelevant starting to break it down. The fact is the majority of uk voters voted to leave. And surprise surprise there were slight variations across the country

you are basing your 'point' on a fallacy

The votes in Scotland and NI were not close. Not even remotely close. It wasn't a 'slight variation'.

Ignore reality all you want and paint yourself an alternate one - doesn't make reality any less the reality that it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

RobMc59 wrote: »
    As the EU pointed out to the SNP,The UK referendum vote was as one so all that is academic at the moment-if the worst comes to the worst and Britain leaves the EU and Scotland has another referendum to leave the UK that's the UKs loss but for the future-not now.

Of course the EU said that, they will not interfere in the internal workings of a member state. Those that are in the member state are free to highlight the fissures that have opened up in the 'United' Kingdom because of how Brexit has been handled by the Conservative and Unionist Party

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

lawred2 wrote: »
    you are basing your 'point' on a fallacy

The votes in Scotland and NI were not close. Not even remotely close. It wasn't a 'slight variation'.

Ignore reality all you want and paint yourself an alternate one - doesn't make reality any less the reality that it is..

There was an opinion poll in May which showed that 69% of people in NI would vote Remain if given another chance.

Now that has to account for a hell of Unionists who have realised the DUP's stance is an absolute economic disaster for NI and has done more to destroy the Union in a single referendum campaign than the IRA managed in 30 odd years.

Of course Leavers will say it's one opinion poll, and fair enough, but it would have to be horrendously wrong if there hasn't been a big rise in support for Remain in NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think my resolution for the New Year is not answer rubbish, (fake facts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bilston wrote: »
    the DUP's stance is an absolute economic disaster for NI and has done more to destroy the Union in a single referendum campaign than the IRA managed in 30 odd years.
    It still surprises me that they don't see this. It couldn't be more obvious. Are they so virulently against the GFA that they will risk everything to try and bring it to an end. Because I can see no other reason than that or rank stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It still surprises me that they don't see this. It couldn't be more obvious. Are they so virulently against the GFA that they will risk everything to try and bring it to an end. Because I can see no other reason than that or rank stupidity.

It's confidence that Unionists will swallow whatever happens and continue to vote DUP regardless. The electoral track record in NI suggests that this is not stupidity but rather a solid calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

If you believe the economists (which I don’t) the roi is destined to even more financial difficulties than the UK after 29 March

If you believe the economists (which I don’t) the roi is destined to even more financial difficulties than the UK after 29 March

In fact if you want to follow many on here who feel it is simply about economics then roi should leave ASAP if UK goes

Which economists are predicting a bigger hit to Ireland than the UK?

Yeah. Well you might find one economist saying that. Most saying not as bad as the UK but still bad enough. But we knew that before it started. Funny how we were more concerned how it would affect our friends and family up north rather than our own pockets.

• Advertisement

If you don't believe the qualified economists, who do you listen to when trying to make an informed choice?

In fact if you want to follow many on here who feel it is simply about economics then roi should leave ASAP if UK goes

Can you find even on e credible economist that says Ireland would do better outside the EU after brexit? Lets stick to reality, not the fantasies that have crippled the UK.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Which economists are predicting a bigger hit to Ireland than the UK?

https://www.irelandbeforeyoudie.com/five-ways-brexit-could-devastate-the-south-of-ireland/

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. Well you might find one economist saying that. Most saying not as bad as the UK but still bad enough. But we knew that before it started. Funny how we were more concerned how it would affect our friends and family up north rather than our own pockets.

Well it certainly won't be a bed of roses for the ROI. Even as a moderate minded Northern Unionist can see why people in the Republic would be pretty pissed off about the whole situation given they had absolutely no control over Brexit in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please don't just dump links on this fourm. That's a blog post with no citations from any Economists.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's a journalist not an economist.

Do you just type the first thing that comes up in Google ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

downcow wrote:

Oh yeah?

Which economists are those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Care to highlight what part of that travel website had a quote from the economist that is predicting a bigger hit to Ireland than the UK?

Nate

That's an artical written by a journalist, not an economist, and it does not claim that Ireland will suffer a bigger hit than the UK. So, what was the point of posting it?

How about you try again, or just admit that your are making things up and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Of course the EU said that, they will not interfere in the internal workings of a member state. Those that are in the member state are free to highlight the fissures that have opened up in the 'United' Kingdom because of how Brexit has been handled by the Conservative and Unionist Party

If the EU said that`s how it is then that`s how it is,theoretical scenarios are just that,theoretical.Personally,I would be loath to hurl on the ditch about Ireland`s political situation even if I had an opinion.Some of Taoiseach Varadkar`s comments are very interesting(I wish the UK had a leader like him) but it`s Ireland`s business,even if as a citizen of a member state I possibly could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If the EU said that`s how it is then that`s how it is,theoretical scenarios are just that,theoretical.Personally,I would be loath to hurl on the ditch about Ireland`s political situation even if I had an opinion.Some of Taoiseach Varadkar`s comments are very interesting(I wish the UK had a leader like him) but it`s Ireland`s business,even if as a citizen of a member state I possibly could.

There would be nothing wrong with you commenting on Irish politics, even if you wanted to be very critical. You're not an MP or a diplomat or something, you can say what you like.

If Irish posters can be very critical of Brexit politicians, I don't see the slightest issue with British posters being critical of Varadkar, Martin & Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Why is the backstop being made such a big deal over?

Uk stated it does not want a border thru ireland.
    Ireland stated it does not want a border thru ireland.
    I'm sure N.I. said it doesn't want a border thru Ireland.

Conservatives are temporarily alligned with DUP and i believe its DUPs redline.

If parliment pass Mays deal, and new goverment is formed without DUP, wont the backstop not be a problem then.
    Only the DUP seem to not want N.I. to have special status.

Rest of UK leaves, NI gets special status and london moves to NI and make profits that it can share with the other members of UK.

I have only heard of backstop as the reason WA is bad, for possibly locking them in unsolvable position, but it is solveable without the DUP in goverment which is only temporarily or did I miss other reason on why its bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Most predictions show a Hard Brexit being a speedbump for our economy: Slower Growth but well still grow and divest from the UK as a result of circumstances replacing their market with others. They show the UK as a total Dumpster Fire situation with recession (Depression level for NI) conditions as a result. They also end up having every agreement they have null and void and left either on temporary measures that are liable to be ended at a moments notice or woefully inferior to existing ones.

This is also another Brexiteer delusion: Brush off experts because they flat dont agree with you rather than debate how they make these predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

sKeith wrote: »

If parliment pass Mays deal, and new goverment is formed without DUP, wont the backstop not be a problem then.

Rest of UK leaves, NI gets special status and london moves to NI and make profits that it can share with the other members of UK.

I have only heard of backstop as the reason WA is bad, for possibly locking them in unsolvable position, but it is solveable without the DUP in goverment which is only temporarily or did I miss other reason on why its bad?

Corbyn has also said that Labour's (rather hazy) alternative Brexit wouldn't have a backstop, because he wants a bespoke Single Market and Customs Union deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

SNIP. Stop with the personal stuff please.

sKeith wrote: »

You are mostly right. The problem for the UK is that without a permanent solution to the border, the backstop will remain indefinitely as the default position.

But as long as it stands, it makes it more difficult for the rest of the UK to leave the CU or else face greater and greater divergence between NI and the UK. They are all choices for the UK. They haven't proven very good at making difficult choices.

prawnsambo wrote:
    Yes. 84% in favour of the EU. The Poles are absolutely wavering.

He meant the current Polish regime i.e. xenophobic nationalist militaristic clero-fascistic PiS. Not the Polish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well considering I am an Irish citizen and resident in the UK, I can talk about either

• Advertisement

So we've had a several dozen posts long session with a Brexiteer troll. It took me a while to go through that and frankly whilst I appreciate a difference of opinions here, I can't help myself to categorise the poster's contribution as delusional, emotional and baseless shout-outs. When asked to reply questions in a structured manner it was ignored, so we haven't got really far in terms of a discussion, it rather resembled a broken record or a monologue than a discussion.

Now, what I find interesting though is the analysis of the contributor's thought process. It helps to understand one sort of a Brexiteer (there are many types of them), the one of the extreme type. What percentage of the English electorate could fall into this? As I had mentioned in the past, based on the polls, roughly 30% of the English electorate are quite hardcore Brexiteers (who favour "no deal"). Let's say that the most extreme ones as our poster here are just 10% (which roughly corresponds with typical vote share for extreme parties in European countries) - that is at least 2M people with these kind of opinions about the EU and the UK. I find this rather depressing and alarming, because it's really a lot of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement