Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

mark206000 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/emergency-eu-aid-for-farmers-to-be-sought-for-brexit-fallout-37677649.html

"The Government will seek hundreds of millions of euro in special aid from Brussels if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal."

Can't help thinking we've been pushed by the EU to create problems for the UK and are going to end up getting shafted both ends for it. The EU without the UK to restrain it for things usually in our interests also and the UK who are going to be a bit pissed at us and probably rightly so.

Wouldn't think that much to be honest. The only one to get shafted will be the UK shafting itself. The last thing the EU will want to do is throw another member state under the bus over the reckless stupidity of a FORMER member. The post Brexit mess will not be the time and place for arguing it'll be basically circling the wagons time to protect the rest of the EU from this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/emergency-eu-aid-for-farmers-to-be-sought-for-brexit-fallout-37677649.html

"The Government will seek hundreds of millions of euro in special aid from Brussels if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal."

Can't help thinking we've been pushed by the EU to create problems for the UK and are going to end up getting shafted both ends for it. The EU without the UK to restrain it for things usually in our interests also and the UK who are going to be a bit pissed at us and probably rightly so.

I think you have that the wrong way round. The Irish Gov started working on Brexit more than six months before there was even a vote. The DFA was full on in diplomatic overdrive ever since, and Barnier is a well placed, knowledgeable person when it comes to the GFA, and NI affairs.

Who was it said "If Ireland is happy, then we (the EU) are happy. " I think the DFA get a better result than anyone could expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Our friend Moggy has already responded to the story in the Indo :

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1080837722208636929

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

We are told the next recession (to whatever degree) is imminent. The last time we had one, countries were suggested leaving the EU. Should that happen again, it is likely the UK will be on the sideline giving them the 'come hither' eyes.

Sidelines? I think it'll be more like the homeless UK rooting through bins in a back alley yelling at passersby that it's all the EUs fault, and can they spare any change cos the IMF needs paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think you have that the wrong way round. The Irish Gov started working on Brexit more than six months before there was even a vote. The DFA was full on in diplomatic overdrive ever since, and Barnier is a well placed, knowledgeable person when it comes to the GFA, and NI affairs.

Who was it said "If Ireland is happy, then we (the EU) are happy. " I think the DFA get a better result than anyone could expect.
    It's the brexiter narrative that's designed to undermine the importance of the GFA. Characterise it as an EU 'ploy' and you can then successfully gaslight everyone into believing that it has no impact on the situation and can be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

I'm sure they have taken this into account which is why the EU either gives it up or there is no deal.

The EU isn't the issue here and never was. The UK government's own ineptitude and incompetence are two of the main reasons why they're in the absolute mess they're in. Is the EU perfect? No. Could it be reformed? Yes absolutely. But you can't change the club if your not IN the club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No, EU did not go ask Ireland to stir things up and "make things difficult" because UK managed to do that all on their own through incompetence. You can take your pick between May's red lines, the lack of agreed vision, incompetent Brexit ministers and lack or direction given to negotiators to what to actually negotiate, failure to listen to any professional advice, failure to understand even the most basic of EUs workings and failing to read EUs public posted negotiation strategy. UK failed miserably and still failing miserably at all of the above believing that they are a special unicorn that if they only wait long enough then EU will cave in to them.

And UK being pissed off about Ireland is nothing new; UK expected Ireland to roll over and be the doormat and got upset when those peasants refused to do what their master told them to do. They got even more furious when EU refused to drop their support for the Irish position which once again if they had spent 30 min with an expert would have been clear as day.

Hence let me sum it up for you, UK ****ed up the negotiations and are still ****ing up the negotiations as we speak. UK may be angry at Ireland but between having empty food shelves and being angry politicians end up very pragmatic about things. Hence Ireland who's got it's back covered by EU has little to fear while UK are about to experience how 100 billion loss in GDP in 6 months feel like; trust me that they will have plenty of other things to worry about than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Grayling was interviewed on Ch4 and it was cringeworthy.
    Is using it as an example of the government supporting new British business like its some sort of start up initiative. I suspect we are going to see very revealing investigations in to the company by the likes of Carole Cadwalladar.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1080521892308627457

This was before it was discovered their T and Cs were copy and pasted from a Fast Food website and a boutique site:
    “Thoroughly check the supplied goods before agreeing to pay for any meal/order,” Seaborne Freight’s website demands.
    Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/seaborne-freight-no-deal-brexit-ferry-company-website/

The boutique shop may not be too happy with the development. The Freighty MacFreightface company cant say they weren't warned though. They copy and pasted the warning!
    “We try very hard to make our website original and appealing, so please do not copy what we have worked so hard to achieve. Please note that unauthorised use or reproduction of any or all of the materials published on this website may give rise to a claim for damages and may also be a criminal offence".

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/seaborne-freight-no-deal-brexit-ferry-company-website/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

80% of the UK's car production is exported, of which 54% goes to EU member states.

ahem ahem...

I think those in the UK that buy German cars like BMW or Mercedes models will not begrudge a 10% tariff on them, but I doubt the extra price will get them to be Vauxhall Astras or Nissan Qashqais instead. After all the extra for the tariff will be included in the residuals - if anything it might increase their desirability.

A while ago, Mercedes dropped 10% of their whole list price in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Strazdas wrote: »

Actually, I wish they'd leave now. People like Rees Mogg turn my stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But I thought JRM and the like were more than happy to leave with No Deal, and they save 39bn.

Seems like he should be thanking Leo if that is his belief.

Strazdas wrote: »

A phantom border is a pretty good name for it to be fair. So long as it remains a phantom border of course. Also amusing that somebody who was once described as a haunted pencil should be talking about phantom borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

80% of the UK's car production is exported, of which 54% goes to EU member states.

ahem ahem...

Most of the uk car makers are specifically geared towards supplying the market on their doorstep- even more so the JIT component industry is based completely on EU membership and free market access.
    Cars are built in England using EU parts, sold in the EU. Vice versa the same. This is but one example of the potential self damage of the Brexit madness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Actually, I wish they'd leave now. People like Rees Mogg turn my stomach.

Rest assured that that sentiment is very common over here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If we leave without a deal the main culprit will be the obdurate Irish Government’s threats about the phantom border issue.
    So one minute they - the mighty United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - are leaving the EU on their own terms and taking back control of their borders to boot and the next minute they're not because little old Ireland insists on doing the same re our own border.
    This farce stoops ever lower...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Good. Then there is hope that sanity will prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

As in England?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

road_high wrote: »
    Most of the uk car makers are specifically geared towards supplying the market on their doorstep- even more so the JIT component industry is based completely on EU membership and free market access.
    Cars are built in England using EU parts, sold in the EU. Vice versa the same. This is but one example of the potential self damage of the Brexit madness.
    Not only that but the exported cars are exported based on EU FTAs which state the minimum percentage of car parts produced in EU to avoid tariffs. Even if UK gets the exact same deal they don't produce enough of the car parts to meet the minimum requirement by a long shot (they can't use EU parts as they are not part of the CU) which will kill the export market beyond EU as well for most cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think we need to be very careful here in naming this company. Seabourne are a very well established freight and logistics company.

Seaborne on the other hand appear to be gearing up for food deliveries. They are in no way connected that I can find, other than that their names are identical bar one extra vowel.

I heard this also, must be how the latter won the contract! 'I've heard of Seaborne, award it them'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

demfad wrote: »
    The boutique shop may not be too happy with the development. The Freighty MacFreightface company cant say they weren't warned though. They copy and pasted the warning!
    It's a characterised infringement of copyright, though it would take a fair bit of digging to determine who owns that copyright (not necessarily the shop at all) and therefore who has the cause of action.

For the highly-experienced professionals that they claim to be, you can tell they've never been on the receiving end of a letter before IP action. In the right (wrong) hands, and done right, copyright claims can get real messy real quick (though admittedly more for photos and art, than text like this).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

road_high wrote: »
    As in England?

Either/or really. I can't see him relating to too many in Wales, Scotland or NI whereas he's hardly the patron saint of the working class leave types of Northern industrial towns and cities.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

That is true,even the eye of Sauron is looking at Ireland as it`s brexit preparations are being mentioned in sputnik news...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

trellheim wrote: »

I`ve seen UK politicians likened to the cast of `Dad`s army`on here and Grayling is undoubtedly Captain Mannering!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

According to RTE, EU has confirmed that no further meetings are scheduled on Brexit deal.
    EU governments have started the process of ratification of the deal.
    It is up to the UK government to also give "the okay" to the deal.
    This sounds as clear as crystal to me.
    Mrs May can say that meetings are on-going. She is just fooling the British people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

trellheim wrote: »

"It's a start up business"

Perfectly satisfactory justification for such a contract to a company that in essence doesn't exist.

I'd hope that there was a bit more to it than that

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I`ve seen UK politicians likened to the cast of `Dad`s army`on here and Grayling is undoubtedly Captain Mannering!

Would you believe, it's Mainwaring?

But yes, Grayling is a catastrophe. The Guardian had a recent op-ed asking how the hell he still has a job.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Would you believe, it's Mainwaring?

But yes, Grayling is a catastrophe. The Guardian had a recent op-ed asking how the hell he still has a job.
    Failing Grayling I believe. But look around. You've got David (it's all in my head) Davis, Dominic (I didn't realise) Raab, Jeremy (where's my wife from again?) Hunt and of course, looming over them all, Boris (trying to fail upwards to PM) Johnson.

Theresa May's ordinariness looks positively genius in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

In terms of our economic preparedness for Brexit, the big worry is that the national finances appear incredibly dependent on windfalls being metaphorically found "down the back of the sofa":

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-announces-unexpected-100m-budget-surplus-37678520.html

Of course, better to have a surplus than not, but hardly sustainable, especially given Apple's profit warning today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ahem ahem...
    The 2nd and 3rd biggest destinations are the US and China who won't be pushovers in any deal. ( Ford US imports Cars from Spain , destroys the back seats and calls them Trucks because US rules were insane long before Trump's "America First". and look at how Mexico and Canada are being treated. )

Haven't you forgotten Turkey ? They are the 4th biggest market.
    But they are in the CU too. So EU rules apply.
    Also direct competitors in the car exporting business.

The next biggest UK market, Oz takes less than 3% of their exports.
    Then it's Russia. Then Japan and South Korea who also export cars but have FTA's with the EU. Canada have an FTA too.

So realistically the UK is looking at having to do multiple FTA's with countries that take 1% or less of their car exports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement