Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Discussion Thread VI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Strazdas wrote: »
    100% : I'd say most EU states, including Ireland, would be very angry if May came to them and said 'Can I have a three month A50 extension in order to prepare my country for a disastrous crashing out of the EU' (when she still has other options like a second referendum, withdrawing A50, caving in on her red lines etc).

Surely if it looked like a no deal was going to happen Ireland would be open to an extension of A50 for their own benefit as much as anything?

I'm not sure the rest of the EU would though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,489 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

bilston wrote: »
    Surely if it looked like a no deal was going to happen Ireland would be open to an extension of A50 for their own benefit as much as anything?

To what end? Just to kick the ball down the road until the UK gathers it's nerve to leave with no deal?

Can't see why Ireland would go against the wishes of it's partners who just want this done now, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

trellheim wrote: »
    I personally think they would grant it as long as it was before MEP elections at the end of may. It does not suit Ireland in the slightest for the UK to crash out with no deal ( by which I mean any time at all to extend our own prep and supply lines ) . Yes of course they would be angry but thats not realpolitik - some concession would be offered and accepted.

An extension to do what? There is not the least indication that the UK can or will get its act together in the foreseeable future, regardless of whether it's given an extension of three months or three years.

If Theresa May decides that the UK isn't adequately prepared for Brexit, all she has to do is ask for her A50-triggering letter to be returned and let her fellow Brits fight amongst themselves for another decade or so while the rest of us get on with life.

Alternatively, she can allow the process to continue until Brexit-day, then hand the reins over someone else and let her fellow Brits fight amongst themselves for another decade or so while the rest of us get on with life.

According to the Bloomberg article, TM's justification for not holding a second referendum is that "it would divide the country". If she truly believes that that is a risk for the future, she is more detached from the present than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I suspect the mood would be one of anger. The idea of an A50 extension was always that it would allow the British breathing space to solve the Brexit crisis, not to allow them take a sledgehammer to the UK-EU relationship and smash it to pieces. It is supposed to be a goodwill gesture not carte blanche for the Brexiteers to go on the rampage with their destructive No Deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

Have you forgotten what you posted? Specifically that they would request an extension in order to smooth a no deal?

No , I didn't forget at all ? To reiterate - they - the UK would request an extension from the EU to smooth a no-deal - correct. Not sure what you arent clear about in what I wrote.

1. If its going to be no deal then I reckon they will request a 3 month ( or whatever ) A50 extension at the very least to get some parking space off the M20

Arguments like 2nd Ref, cancel A50 - never happen under May - just simply will not - that's not who she is ( or Corbyn either ) -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,846 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No , I didn't forget at all ? To reiterate - they - the UK would request an extension from the EU to smooth a no-deal - correct. Not sure what you arent clear about in what I wrote.

1. If its going to be no deal then I reckon they will request a 3 month ( or whatever ) A50 extension at the very least to get some parking space off the M20

Arguments like 2nd Ref, cancel A50 - never happen under May - just simply will not - that's not who she is ( or Corbyn either ) -

Have the EU not said that there will not be an extension to A50 already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

An extension needs unanimous agreement from the EU 27. If the UK are banking on this, they'll have a lot of convincing to do and a lot of bad will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I was just making sure. Because my original point still stands in that case. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that the EU27 would agree to an extension that would be requested for that purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Have the EU not said that there will not be an extension to A50 already?

No, not at all and it's meant to be a goodwill gesture, not to facilitate the Brexiteers taking a wrecking ball to everything (ie. a destructive No Deal). How would it be the EU's job to help Britain out in this? This would be a hostile act by Brexit UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, not at all and it's meant to be a goodwill gesture, not to facilitate the Brexiteers taking a wrecking ball to everything (ie. a destructive No Deal). How would it be the EU's job to help Britain out in this? This would be a hostile act by Brexit UK.

European history shows quite clearly that sufficient damage to a major power's economy can foment radicalism of the worst kind. We're already seeing fringe movements across Europe get into power from the far right in Poland and Hungary and the far left in Italy in an awkward coalition between the two.

Obviously, the EU isn't going to immolate itself for the UK's sake or that of the Brexiteers. However, it has shown on multiple occasions that it will work with the UK if it means cancelling Brexit or giving it access to the Single Market so long as the British accept the four freedoms of said market. I don't think the UK is going to turn into an economic cesspit but the best way to prevent further economic and political damage is to cancel this fell endeavour of the far right, oligarchs, press barons and foreign money men and the EU is ready to help with this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Where they park their trucks is not the EU's problem. Neither is it the EU's problem if they don't have enough border control officers, or agreements for the continuing supply of medicines and other imports. They've had two years to organise their no-deal preparations. The EU has found the time and funding to put arrangements in place, so why didn't the Brits?

"Not my problem, mate" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

ACD : I agree Brexit should be cancelled 100% - just cant see it happening in the current climate
    Where they park their trucks is not the EU's problem. Neither is it the EU's problem if they don't have enough border control officers, or agreements for the continuing supply of medicines and other imports. They've had two years to organise their no-deal preparations. The EU has found the time and funding to put arrangements in place, so why didn't the Brits?

"Not my problem, mate"
    Yes, thats one view, and another might be the likely net gain from granting such an extension to both sides, not just the UK. Those trucks stuck on the M20 would not all be UK trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

RobMc59 wrote: »
    That maybe the case but it's unlikely they bought a controlling share thinking UK airports will be paralysed after 29th March-don't forget,if the armageddon scenerio comes to pass who knows what may happen-the UK may freeze all EU assets in a bizarre tit for tat squabble.

The Armageddon will not effect airports as much as airlines.
    The UK will still have millions of people flying somewhere and airports will still serve that large market.
    The company involved is Vinci and they are already involved in many non EU countries.
    "Vinci, corporately styled VINCI, is a French concessions and construction company founded in 1899 as Société Générale d'Enterprises. It employs over 194,000 people, operates in more than 100 countries and is the largest construction company in the world by revenue."

Yes, thats one view, and another might be the likely net gain from granting such an extension to both sides, not just the UK. Those trucks stuck on the M20 would not all be UK trucks.

No, but EU hauliers could choose not to operate in a country that was so disorganised - there's plenty of work to be had driving freight across the other 27 countries (and beyond) without having your fleet sitting idle in HardBrexitland.

And besides, as was discussed earlier, for the same reason it would be in the UK's interest to facilitate the rapid departure of empty continental trucks so that they could go and fetch some more food and medicines for the masses.

The EU is "as ready as it will ever be" for a no-deal Brexit; and we've all had enough of the nonsensical behaviour in Westminster. "Please, Sir, can I've some more [time]..." is not a good enough reason to grant an extension for no reason other than to faff about for a while longer.

If they really need more time (and yes, they really need more time) they can cancel Brexit completely and spend a decade understanding their place in the world. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did I read 60% of Tory MPs polled are still opposed to Mays deal? In such circumstances it’ll be next to impossible to get it over the line. Psychologically they seem to be heading that way, as if No Deal is some kind of option without consequences and they’ll all just get their way in the end

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

road_high wrote: »
    Did I read 60% of Tory MPs polled are still opposed to Mays deal? In such circumstances it’ll be next to impossible to get it over the line. Psychologically they seem to be heading that way, as if No Deal is some kind of option without consequences and they’ll all just get their way in the end

I think that most Tories think the EU will fold at the lat minute and give them everything they want. It wont.

I think that most Tories think the EU will fold at the lat minute and give them everything they want. It wont.
    Like brexit, they all have different views on what they want. The remainer types think that if it falls, A50 will be withdrawn or the option will be there. The hardline brexiters hope it fails and they get their hard brexit. Those in the middle are watching the others to see which way to jump in order to maximise the benefit to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,660 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So 9 days to the vote she loses. Then Jeremy has his no confidence pitch he loses. We're at the 12th Jan
    Does a 2nd Ref get through the HoC between the 12 and 21st?
    TM will be backed by Tories in the no confidence vote but could then be gone within a week.

Water John wrote: »
    So 9 days to the vote she loses. Then Jeremy has his no confidence pitch he loses. We're at the 12th Jan
    Does a 2nd Ref get through the HoC between the 12 and 21st?
    TM will be backed by Tories in the no confidence vote but could then be gone within a week.
    No chance. The clock ran out on a second referendum at least six months ago. They might get an A50 extension if it's for that purpose, but I suspect that the terms of the second referendum would have to be suitably set to get that approval. No pigs in a poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

No, but EU hauliers could choose not to operate in a country that was so disorganised - there's plenty of work to be had driving freight across the other 27 countries (and beyond) without having your fleet sitting idle in HardBrexitland.

And besides, as was discussed earlier, for the same reason it would be in the UK's interest to facilitate the rapid departure of empty continental trucks so that they could go and fetch some more food and medicines for the masses.

The EU is "as ready as it will ever be" for a no-deal Brexit; and we've all had enough of the nonsensical behaviour in Westminster. "Please, Sir, can I've some more [time]..." is not a good enough reason to grant an extension for no reason other than to faff about for a while longer.

If they really need more time (and yes, they really need more time) they can cancel Brexit completely and spend a decade understanding their place in the world. :D
    And what at the present time is the UK position in the world-i was under the impression it was just above France in the pecking order..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,660 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Prawn, we'll wait and see how it plays out. I'm just putting there what I think is a likely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To what end? Just to kick the ball down the road until the UK gathers it's nerve to leave with no deal?

Can't see why Ireland would go against the wishes of it's partners who just want this done now, I'd imagine.

Well despite what many wish to think the Republic of Ireland will be affected negatively by a no deal Brexit...maybe the Irish govt would like a bit more time to prepare.

And what at the present time is the UK position in the world-i was under the impression it was just above France in the pecking order..

No pecking order in the EU - we're all equals! :)

[Or, to quote J-C Junker, "we are all Irish" - something that the hard Brexiteers are having considerably difficulty understanding. :D ]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why should we facilitate UK ?

The best option for us is if they Remain.

We don't want to make Hard Brexit look like anything other than the unmitigated disaster it will be. We just need to look at the best long term option rather than sacrificing ourselves on their alter for some unknown short term gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Well despite what many wish to think the Republic of Ireland will be affected negatively by a no deal Brexit...maybe the Irish govt would like a bit more time to prepare.

Can you find me anyone (never mind "many") who thinks Ireland won't be negatively affected by a no deal brexit?

[Or, to quote J-C Junker, "we are all Irish" - something that the hard Brexiteers are having considerably difficulty understanding. :D ]
    You are correct-I'm just distraught because I don't want the UK to leave :(

My wife's family in Drogheda have said the whole town is up in arms because someone has come up with the idea to change the local hospital name from 'our Lady of lourdes'because some newer residents find it offensive. If that's true it's controversial imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My wife's family in Drogheda have said the whole town is up in arms because someone has come up with the idea to change the local hospital name from 'our Lady of lourdes'because some newer residents find it offensive. If that's true it's controversial imo.

That's utter waffle.

Its actually a lie. And probably spread through Facebook idiots.

The HSE are changing the structure of hospitals nationally the name change was part of that plan and it's not decided.

So this crap about some new locals having a problem with it sounds like something irexit crowd would get a hard on to propagate

I expect you'll go and correct your wife's family on that ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

He says, as France ploughs ahead with plans to break EU rules on it’s budgetary deficit. Brussels has sent a strongly worded letter, but seems unwilling to do much more.

Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would argue with what you say in your first paragraph. All of those things and more. At the same time though, you should also accept that these things were in Britain's long term interest too.

But we're watching our friends slow march themselves into disaster. And for absolutely nothing. It's bizarre.

I don’t disagree. I’ve long been of the opinion that Britain’s economy, security and influence are all enhanced inside the EU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement