Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a solution to a banking issue

• 13-12-2018 2:05pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An elderly relative of mine has become less independently mobile recently and can no longer do her own weekly shopping (she's no longer allowed to drive due to deteriorating eyesight, otherwise she's physically and mentally fine).

She wants to set up a way that I can have access to her money and a contactless card to pick up some shopping for her occasionally. I'd have no problem buying these things for her either for no cost to her or for her to give me the cash whenever but she is extrmely independent, very particular with regard to repaying money and she no longer wants to deal with cash if possible (related to the eyesight, can't distinguish between coins very easily).

So far her bank, Ulster Bank, have not been great at helping her. I'm not sure that they will issue a second card for her current account.

Let's say that they don't, what are our other options? Bearing in mind that the card is to be used exclusively by me to pick up a few groceries when needed. I would rather not have direct access to all of her money but have a separate flow of €10-€20 when needed or a prepaid card, however she would have to be able to transfer this the traditional way (in branch) rather than online. She is regularly in and out to the bank so that wouldn't be a problem so long as the bank facilitated it.

So our options could be:
    - a joint account with a card in my name and very little cash in it
    - a second card for her account, issued in her own name but used by me
    - a prepaid credit card, topped up by her when needed
    - forget all this and ask her for a €20 cash kitty in a separate purse that I use only for her stuff and give her €20 worth of receipts when done, rinse and repeat.

Am I leaving any options out? The prepaid credit card sounds good but am worried about the topping up element.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Maybe supply her your IBAN and she can just transfer money that way. You could even open a Revolut account and just use the card for her shopping and you will have an IBAN to give. You could show her the transactions on your phone.

Ulster Bank I'd imagine will try and push her online if she is calling in each month with your IBAN.

You could set up a totally FREE EBS Money Manager account (Note debit card wont be contactless).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes, I thought the idea of Revolut was good but not sure she will go for it given she'll never have heard of the bank/brand.

I'll look into the EBS Money Manager account though, that could be a great idea, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/financial-comparisons/current-account-comparison/ - EBS in your name might be the way to go alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tesco.ie

Get her shopping delivered or prepped for collection, and she can pay for it herself directly

SuperValu have a similar service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Install the Ulster Bank app on your iphone. That'll allow contactless payments via apple pay. You don't have to be the account holder to do it (at least, the bank have no way of checking).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

pwurple wrote: »
    Tesco.ie

Get her shopping delivered or prepped for collection, and she can pay for it herself directly

SuperValu have a similar service.

Thanks. She likes to go and get a few things herself on the bus, all I would be picking up are the heavy items like the large cartons of milk or multi packs of bottles of water. She wouldn;t trust anyone else to pick out her bread or fruit and veg (not even me :D)

3DataModem wrote: »
    Install the Ulster Bank app on your iphone. That'll allow contactless payments via apple pay. You don't have to be the account holder to do it (at least, the bank have no way of checking).
    I don't have an iphone, I'm on Android. Not sure if they support Android pay yet? I also have the app for an account of my own though I don't use it very much (mot my current account). I'll look into Android Pay though, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭kala85

Get them to set up a standing order from her account to yours for the average amount of the groceries.

Advertisement