Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭thomil

Sun's gone away here in Ballincollig. Eerily calm, with a diffuse cloud cover, almost foggy. Air pressure appears to be holding around 978mbar, while the temperature at my thermometer is dropping, down from 13°C to 11°C within the last hour.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy now here near Tralee getting up over 60 km/h, big squally shower just gone through, Temp dropped to 6.8C from 14.0C earlier.

986.3hPa Rising rapidly

Should see that squall line develop across the country.

qkkbIrp.png

9wCAvPB.png

rafales_uk_zfl6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Heavy heavy rain here in west Limerick last 20 minutes or so. Downpour. Dead calm though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fastnet now gusting 77kt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very dark in Galway wind really picking up now

In Galway city, heavy rain has passed over. No wind, trees not moving at all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Calm in Cork city

Will the winds pick up quickly?
    Anybody know at what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Getting windy here now east Kerry north cork border. Squal line just after arriving and heavy rain coming down. Don’t see this being as bad as was forecast for here anyway. Tbh I think the winds were worse overnight last Wednesday. I suppose w’ell have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Few sparks off the Kerry coast

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dark and wild .... wild and dark... hardly full light all the day long. stormy old day... never a pause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Calm before the storm, but saying that (most areas) have been downgraded now from Orange at 14:25.
    Still Orange (for wind) along the South coasts and Donegal. Yellow everywhere else.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Calm in Cork city

Will the winds pick up quickly?
    Anybody know at what time?

Weird isn't it, I was going from a shop to the car less than an hour ago and the gusts were strong.. Not a breeze now and seems very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Cork981

Met Eireann have downgrade the orange warning to Cork, Waterford, Wexford and donegal only.
    Yellow everywhere else.

https://www.met.ie/warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Kerry goes from an orange wind warning to none??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A downgrade for most parts

Status Orange - Wind warning for Wexford, Donegal, Cork and Waterford
    West to northwest winds mean speeds 55 to 70 km/hr gusts to 120 km/hr for a time this afternoon and early evening, strongest in coastal areas.
    Issued: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:25
    Updated: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:25
    Valid from Saturday 15 December 2018 15:00 to Saturday 15 December 2018 22:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan and Monaghan
    Southeast winds will veer west to northwest later this afternoon and evening, with mean speeds 55 to 65 km/hr and gusts to 110 km/hr
    Issued: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:21
    Updated: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:21

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Connacht, Clare, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    West to northwest winds, mean speeds 55 to 65 km/hr gusts to 110 km/hr for a time this afternoon.
    Issued: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:00
    Updated: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:00
    Valid from Saturday 15 December 2018 15:00 to Saturday 15 December 2018 19:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not a breeze in Galway now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Status Orange - Wind warning for Wexford, Donegal, Cork and Waterford
    West to northwest winds mean speeds 55 to 70 km/hr gusts to 120 km/hr for a time this afternoon and early evening, strongest in coastal areas.

Issued: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:25

Updated: Saturday 15 December 2018 14:25

sqdU4iL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Limerick at 14.42. The edge of the storm is clearly visible about 10 km. To the west. Towering cbs while it's totally calm here.

jzA4n8B.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

With that 'downgrade' it's worth noting that there's barely a whisker in terms of what ME are actually predicting in terms of wind for the yellow counties (mean speeds 55 to 65 km/hr and gusts to 110 km/hr) vs the orange ones (55 to 70 km/hr gusts to 120 km/hr).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Some heavier rain earlier...not expecting much in Galway from this storm anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Adare County Limerick

Went from clear blue skies to dark clouds in five minutes.

Light rain now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Welcome back mortelaro,you were missed around these parts

Indeed! Please hang around.

Always a shame when knowledgeable posters hang up their keyboards (or are induced to).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jusr on the way to the Aviva. Thank God for a full set of proper/decent rain gear and boots! Sideways rain. Luas is pretty much empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just got very dark here in cork city. The rains coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MJohnston wrote: »
    With that 'downgrade' it's worth noting that there's barely a whisker in terms of what ME are actually predicting in terms of wind for the yellow counties (mean speeds 55 to 65 km/hr and gusts to 110 km/hr) vs the orange ones (55 to 70 km/hr gusts to 120 km/hr).

I noticed that too! Certainly wild here... but them forecasting and "labelling" must be like trying to tie the wind up.. cannot totally be done

remembering Ophelia which was supposed to hit us up here, us and Sligo, then turned right around Clare... I am as you know not a scientist etc. Just an almost octagenarian lover of wild isolated places,, in the North Sea they used to call me Storm Petrel

Not interested in stats or defining lines..just sky and ocean

At least it is limited.. and enough for me today; been awake nearly 24 hours!... stay safe out there..

Blessings and peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2 side show bob 1

Heavy wind and rain just kicking off here in Kinsale. Getting very rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Starting to kick off here in Whitechurch, Co. Cork. Raining again and wind strength and gone from zero back up to strong gusts and the howl of a storm.

One of the commentators mentioned there would be an initial lull. Certainly seem to have got that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not a breeze in Galway now

Not windy in Galway all day to be fair.

I bet the retailers are glad most Galwegians ignored the warnings. Most were oblivious to Deirdre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

yep rain has arrived here in cork city and the wind along with it, that was very sudden. Went from dead to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

canceled a christmas shopping trip due to the orange warning,im sure lots others did too.rather annoyed.

hmm,unfortunate met eireann cock up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Wind at Cork airport went from 210 degrees at 1430 to 260 degrees at 1500. Expect a steady increase in winds in that area now.

Advertisement