Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

yep rain has arrived here in cork city and the wind along with it, that was very sudden. Went from dead to this.
    Was amazing to see it just kick into gear in minutes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind gusting to 40KT at Waterford Airport. Max gust at my station 34KT in the last hour.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

canceled a christmas shopping trip due to the orange warning,im sure lots others did too.rather annoyed.

hmm,unfortunate met eireann cock up.

You dodged a bullet. Had to venture just as far as Tesco there and even that is totally jammed this afternoon. For all the people who won't go out in this weather there's another who will go shopping instead of an outdoor activity.

Would say shopping centre car parks are like the pits of hell today.

I do think the Orange warning is reasonable in the four counties it applies to, looking at the charts. Pretty proportionate response by MÉ on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

canceled a christmas shopping trip due to the orange warning,im sure lots others did too.rather annoyed.

hmm,unfortunate met eireann cock up.

No cock up whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Squall line developing in the southwest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Gone very quiet with sunny spells here in Laois and rain has stopped. I was reading the charts thread this morning this is exactly how I think MT predicted it would go. It seems to be the calm before the storm.
    It was one hell of a messy morning..anyone know if the highs winds will reach this far inland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The wind has picked up here in cork city. I can either a car or house alarm going off in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Changes happening here now!!
    Fasten your seat belts rebels!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin co galway 15/12/18 15.05 temperature 11°C
    9MQthSC.jpg

hx9S3Nd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

3pm

Sherkin islands gusting 59 knots
    Malin head gusting 46 knots
    Mace head 44 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Danno wrote: »
    Squall line developing in the southwest

Is that what this is? Was about to close down when it hit. Loud and battering. Startling.

west mayo offshore

Changes happening here now!!
    Fasten your seat belts rebels!

That was so fast.. Unreal change in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Westerly winds on the increase here now (Castlebar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Westerly winds on the increase here now (Castlebar)

here too.. so LOUD! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Temp dropped from 13.2C at 2pm to 8.3C at 3:30 Oranmore

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Blue skies in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Sunshine was out for a while with showers. Clondalkin and Lucan. Not a breath of wind. See what next hour or so brings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Drove from west Dublin to Limerick this afternoon - it was on-and-off downpours the whole way. It went from torrential rain and about 5-metre visibility in Tipperary to clear blue skies in Limerick. But it's completely turned again in the last 20min here outside Limerick City - very dark skies and the heaviest rain I've seen in a while battering the windows. It's not as windy as I expected though, a few wild gusts alright, but it seems to be much more of a rain event here.

EDIT: I might be in a sheltered spot as relations living 2km down the road say it's very windy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Wind really getting going here in Limerick now @ 15.35 Some serious gusts accompanied by driving rain. 8.4 c and 983 hPa, still falling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wind was South West in Galway now gone North West with very strong gusts, was flat ca]m while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Hello Deirdre!!
    Welcome to Cork

Proper stormy in North Cork now. Dark with horizontal rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It's like someone just flipped a switch here in Aherlow. So dark, wind howling and rain lashing.
    Waiting for the inevitable power outage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

small burst of wind,
    had beans earlier.

non event wind wise

west Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Samsgirl wrote: »
    It's like someone just flipped a switch here in Aherlow. So dark, wind howling and rain lashing.
    Waiting for the inevitable power outage now.

I don't envy the ESB lads on days like this. Great respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Comhra wrote: »
    I don't envy the ESB lads on days like this. Great respect for them.

I know and they are usually so great as getting us back in line once the storm clears. Ophelia was the exception, out for 3 days due to the widespread damage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We are now in that Calm phase in Waterford City. Barely a breeze out there. Waiting for the onslaught now

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

Fierce heavy downpour here in Tipp just now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus that a strong gust just there in cork. Window rattled noticeably.

Advertisement