Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Liffey Valley Shopping Centre is busy but nowhere as busy as would be expected on the second last Saturday before Christmas. Retailers, especially high street ones, won't be happy if people stay away and no severe weather materialises.

Weather has nothing to.do with liffey valley numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Yes it does. Liffey Valley attracts shoppers from a huge catchment area. People may be reluctant to drive if severe weather expected.

Shopping no, but driving to and from the shopping centre and getting wet between the car and the shops yes.

Nothing worse that traipsing around the shops in wet clothes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Probably see a sting jet develop off the S / SE of Ireland this afternoon but should stay well out to sea. Heavier rain making its way into Kerry now.

latest-wv_qcw9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

The queue in Penneys Galway is miles long and the car parks are full. Consumerism trumps Deirdre.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The queue in Penneys Galway is miles long and the car parks are full. Consumerism trumps Deirdre.

Deirdre is only now just making landfall in the southwest. Wait another few hours and there might be a different story in your area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The reds are convective clouds, the pinks are large drops giving heavy rain , the yellow is supercooled water clouds as is forecast over in the UK today.

Heavy showers in Tralee now

EUMETSTAT

LOw4iNN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Shopping no, but driving to and from the shopping centre and getting wet between the car and the shops yes.

Nothing worse that traipsing around the shops in wet clothes.

Liffey valley is always more packed during wet weather than dry. Only place people can go

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deirdre is only now just making landfall in the southwest. Wait another few hours and there might be a different story in your area.

You stole my thoughts.

Just been out at the back and the ocean that was calm and still earlier is a frenzy of white roaring breakers, row after row streaming in. Wind rising fast now. And only just beginning I think?

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I bought a 40ft trampoline this morning and was hoping to put it together and have a bounce on her later this afternoon. What do you think my chances are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Thank the Lord for online shopping.

Managed to do an oil service on the Mrs car this morning, not too bad out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I bought a 40ft trampoline this morning and was hoping to put it together and have a bounce on her later this afternoon. What do you think my chances are?

Tie it down with wheelie bins and you should be fine..

Tie it down with wheelie bins and you should be fine..

What a totally irresponsible thing to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

Squall like feature developing from North Kerry to Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

What a totally irresponsible thing to suggest.

Whoosssish............. that was the joke flying over your head :rolleyes:

PLEASE film it? lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Scrabbel

GoneHome wrote: »
    Whoosssish............. that was the joke flying over your head :rolleyes:

In fairness, I think his was flying back over yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Wild at Arklow harbour on the east coast right now
    Graces 7 would be at home

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1073924591225950210?s=09

highdef wrote: »
    Squall like feature developing from North Kerry to Galway?

Make that I think as far as West Mayo.. at least the turf fire is drawing now! It likes a good wind.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Wild at Arklow harbour on the east coast right now
    Graces 7 would be at home

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1073924591225950210?s=09

LOVE it! Thank you.

I hated and dreaded gales and storms for years after we lost so many family members. friends and colleagues in the big tsunami.
    They were working with the very poor and died with them.

Getting easier now thankfully

• Advertisement

Sun shining in North Cork :-/

Scrabbel wrote: »
    In fairness, I think his was flying back over yours.

Thanks. Thought it was obvious enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Very quiet here in galway. a few gusts of wind but nothing abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sun shining in North Cork :-/

Lashing rain in Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential downpour currently in Castlebar, 20mm of rain since midnight already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Getting rough now

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1215/1017317-weather/

and up here. just beginning I think?

west mayo,, rain lashing against the windows and gusts shaking the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Rain is really coming down here in South Wicklow now but hardly a breath of wind. Could be my location though which I think is well sheltered geographically.

Edit: just now seeing Arklow weather's posts. I'm only a few miles from Arklow and it seems you're having a much more windy time than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you will be the first on Boards.ie to get to the moon, in an eco kind of way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Airport warnings out. Cork and Dublin should interesting later this afternoon and evening, respectively, with up to 60-knot gusts. Valid times e.g. 1518/1521 means from 6-9 pm on the 15th.

CORK EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 142300/151500 SFC WIND SSE 20-25KT MAX 35-40 FCST =
    CASEMENT EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 151800/152359 SFC WIND W 30-35KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 1521/1523 WSW 20-25 MAX 40-45 FCST =
    KNOCK EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 151700/152300 SFC WIND W 30-35KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 1519/1521 W 20-25 MAX 35-40 FCST =
    SHANNON EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 151600/152100 SFC WIND W 30-35KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 1518/1520 W 20-25 MAX 35-40 FCST =
    CORK EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 151500/151900 SFC WIND W 30-35KT MAX 55-60 BECMG 1517/1519 WSW 20-25 MAX 35-40 FCST =
    DUBLIN EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 151500/152300 SFC WIND SSE 20-25KT MAX 35-40 BECMG 1518/1520 W 30-35 MAX 55-60 BECMG 1521/1523 WSW 35-40 FCST =

Advertisement