Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing joint account

Options
  • 13-12-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭

I'm one of the two names on a joint account. We want to close the account now. Could you please let me know what's involved - can I do this myself or do we both need to do it? Can it be done online or do I/we need to go to a branch?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm one of the two names on a joint account. We want to close the account now. Could you please let me know what's involved - can I do this myself or do we both need to do it? Can it be done online or do I/we need to go to a branch?

Thanks
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    Once the account is set up so that both of you can sign for things through the account then either person on the account can request to close it online.
    I've given a link here that you can use to do this.
    Once the person requesting the closure has filled in the form and submitted it the other party named on the account should then receive a text message confirming that the account closure has been requested and what to do if they do not want to stop this.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm one of the two names on a joint account.  We want to close the account now.  Could you please let me know what's involved - can I do this myself or do we both need to do it? Can it be done online or do I/we need to go to a branch?

Thanks
    Hi there,

Once the account is set up so that both of you can sign for things through the account then either person on the account can request to close it online.
    Once the person requesting the closure has filled in the form and submitted it the other party named on the account should then receive a text message confirming that the account closure has been requested and what to do if they do not want to stop this.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Can I somehow confirm that there are no outstanding charges on the account before I clear it out?  I don't want to clear out all the money and then wind up overdrawn because some charge was pending or due.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

I'm one of the two names on a joint account.  We want to close the account now.  Could you please let me know what's involved - can I do this myself or do we both need to do it? Can it be done online or do I/we need to go to a branch?

Thanks
    Hi there,

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Can I somehow confirm that there are no outstanding charges on the account before I clear it out?  I don't want to clear out all the money and then wind up overdrawn because some charge was pending or due.

Thanks again

Thanks for getting back to us.
    There would be no charge for closing the account specifically, there may be some transactions charges due on the account before it can be closed. If you raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile the advisers there will be able to check the account details and confirm what transaction charges may be due on the account at the point of closure.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi again,

I submitted the request online to close this account on 18th, and have heard nothing since. The remaining balance hasn't been transferred, and the account appears to be operating normally still.

Can you tell me how long this process should take, or if I should be taking further steps to get the account closed (and what those might be)?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi HeidiHeidi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The process takes 11 working days.

Once it is done you will receive a text confirming this and you will receive the funds into your chosen account.

Merry Christmas!

Lorna

• Advertisement
Advertisement