Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Band/Artist to ever play Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Billy connolly was in the theatre royal, wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Yep in the forum anyway, not sure about TR, Johnny cash too, scissor sisters also, ian Brown....could have been south in tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

He actually mentions Waterford as one of his tour dates on the late late. This is from 1995/6

https://youtu.be/cNa0wuxh54g

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

He actually mentions Waterford as one of his tour dates on the late late. This is from 1995/6

https://youtu.be/cNa0wuxh54g

I was at the Theatre Royal one, he stayed in the Ard Ri and ripped the absolute urine out of it for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jimbojazz wrote:
    I was at the Theatre Royal one, he stayed in the Ard Ri and ripped the absolute urine out of it for some reason

Was that in the 80's, think some family members went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Was that in the 80's, think some family members went?

I'd say it was, can't remember exact date. He wasn't that funny to be honest, seemed to be in a humour as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Connolly played a couple of gigs in Theatre Royal. Did Ray Charles and Joan Baez and Jerry lee Lewis play the Fleadh Mor. Didn't Tammy Wynette (stand by your man) play the Forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Marshall Jefferson (& someone else who's name I can't remember) in The Rhythm Room back in 2000/2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Roy Orbison played the Olympia Ballroom on Parnell St back in the 60s.

Here's the weird bit. A local historian who was at that concert told me that the support act was an up-and-coming guitarist/vocalist called Bruce Springsteen.

I can't find anything to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

gscully wrote: »
    Here's the weird bit. A local historian who was at that concert told me that the support act was an up-and-coming guitarist/vocalist called Bruce Springsteen.

I can't find anything to back that up.

highly doubt that cause he siad he didnt come over to Europe til the 70s and considering Bruce was only born in 1949

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Well, the age would be right, but like I said, I can't back it up. I wasn't even born myself :-)

It wouldn't surprise me if the said historian imagined it up and then started to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

OK, I've enjoyed this trip down memory lane, I was at at good few of the gigs mentioned but we've gone off topic.
    My original question was; who has played here while they were world famous and in their pomp? I know I didn't help with some of the acts I included in my original list so let's narrow it down to artists that met one of the following criteria;
    1. must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) that had reached top 40 in the US or top 10 in the UK within the previous 5 years or 1 year after playing Waterford,
    2. must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) in the preceding 5 years when they played Waterford. that subsequently certified Gold in the US (500,000 units) or the UK (100,000 units),
    2. must have had at least 1 UK No.1 single or US Billboard top 10 single within the preceding 2 years.
    So looking at my original list + acts suggested;

Artist / Venue/Festival / Year / Career Record Sales (Net Worth) / Justification for making list

U2 WRTC Canteen/The Showboat 1980 150 Million 'Boy' No.52 in the UK and No.63 in the US but was subsequently ranked number 417 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time"
    Van Morrission Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 ? (Net Worth $90M) 'Avalon Sunset' 1989 most definitely keeps Van on this list.
    50 Cent Daytripper 2011 17 Million 'Before I self-destruct' 2009 keeps Mr Cent on here.
    Madness Daytripper 2013 6 Million+ Album 'Oui Oui, Si Si, Ja Ja, Da Da' 2012 keeps them here though they're mostly living off the 80's hits
    The National - A.T.N. Curraghmore - 2019 - 1-2 Million - Albums 'Sleep Well Beast' 2017 No.1 UK, No. 2 US
    The Smiths - The Savoy 1984 Album 'The Smiths' 1984 UK No.2, went Gold
    The Human League The Bridge 1985
    The Prodigy - Metroland 1995 'Music for the Jilted Generation' 1994 went Platinum in the UK so yea they were happening at the time and go on the list.

Disqualified subject to argument:

Bob Dylan Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 100 Million 'Good as I Been to You' only reached  No.  51 in the US and  No.  18 in the UK
    UB40 Daytripper 2017 70 Million Greatest hits touring band by 2017 even Ali Campbell rejoining doesn't keep them on.
    Sister Sledge Daytripper 2018 15 Million Last hit studio album 33 years previous.
    "I'm sure Val Doonican must have played the Theatre Royal at some stage?" - Ah here.
    Joan Armatrading - The Theatre Royal - 2015 - legend but doesn't meet the criteria.

Inclusion on 'The List' pending subject to testing versus criteria above as I'm just cutting & pasting your responses and I haven't had a chance to verify:

The Pogues - mostly in the Bridge
    Def Leppard- Katie Reilly's 1986
    Ray Charles Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993
    Jerry Lee Lewis Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993
    Johnny cash The Forum
    Kris Kristoferson The forum
    David Grey
    The Farm - The Stonecourt Year?
    The Beautiful South - The Forum - Year?
    Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze played the Forum solo.
    Gilbert O'Sullivan - Mt Sion - the 70's
    Carl Cox - The Metroland - 1995
    Mungo Jerry - The Atlantic Ballroom Tramore - Year?
    Paul Weller - South - Year?
    Fatboy Slim- Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal - Year?
    Babyshambles
    Mercury Rev
    Ian Brown- South/ Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal - Years?
    The Thrills - The Forum - Year?
    Ocean Colour Scene - The Forum - Year?
    Scissor Sisters - The Forum - Year?
    Violent Femmes - South - Year?
    Paul Oakenfold - South - Year?
    The Fourth Dimension - Metroland - 1995
    Manic street preachers - Back of The Mansion - Year?
    Snow Patrol - The kings - Year?
    The Waterboys
    Mauro picotto
    John digweed
    the stranglers
    James - Daytripper - Year?
    Thin Lizzy played in the Regina cinema
    The Housemartins, the Bridge.
    Howard Jones, butlers community.
    Bad Manners, the Savoy.
    Queen played T. H Doolans before everyone liked them
    Ash played preachers
    Billy Connolly was in the theatre royal, wasn't he?
    Didn't Tammy Wynette (stand by your man) play the Forum?
    Marshall Jefferson (& someone else who's name I can't remember) in The Rhythm Room back in 2000/2001
    Bruce Springsteen - Olympia

Any more, please add to list rather than as comments underneath. Edit, add, verify as your going along lads. Disagree with the criteria for inclusion; argue alternatives! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Fun Lovin Criminals. The Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Artist / Venue/Festival / Year / Career Record Sales (Net Worth) / Justification for making list

50 Cent Daytripper 2011 17 Million 'Before I self-destruct' 2009 keeps Mr Cent on here.

Small amendment. It wasn't Daytripper, it was Waterford Music Fest. Faithless also played who would be worthy of mention, but may not meet newer criteria!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

alta stare wrote: »
    Fun Lovin Criminals. The Forum.

Fun Lovin Criminals also played the Kazbar as part of Arthur's Day Celebrations a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGom

TheGom wrote: »
    Haven't seen these mentioned.

Bad Manners, the Savoy.

The Housemartins & Howard Jones had UK No1's in the previous 5 year, unfortunately No3 (twice) was as high as Bad Manners got.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

OK, I've enjoyed this trip down memory lane, I was at at good few of the gigs mentioned but we've gone off topic.
    My original question was; who has played here while they were world famous and in their pomp? I know I didn't help with some of the acts I included in my original list so let's narrow it down to artists that met one of the following criteria;
    1. must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) that had reached top 40 in the US or top 10 in the UK within the previous 5 years or 1 year after playing Waterford,
    2. must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) in the preceding 5 years when they played Waterford. that subsequently certified Gold in the US (500,000 units) or the UK (100,000 units),
    2. must have had at least 1 UK No.1 single or US Billboard top 10 single within the preceding 2 years.

U2 WRTC Canteen/The Showboat 1980 150 Million 'Boy' No.52 in the UK and No.63 in the US but was subsequently ranked number 417 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time"
    Van Morrission Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 ? (Net Worth $90M) 'Avalon Sunset' 1989 most definitely keeps Van on this list.
    Madness Daytripper 2013 6 Million+ Album 'Oui Oui, Si Si, Ja Ja, Da Da' 2012 keeps them here though they're mostly living off the 80's hits
    The National - A.T.N. Curraghmore - 2019 - 1-2 Million - Albums 'Sleep Well Beast' 2017 No.1 UK, No. 2 US
    The Prodigy - Metroland 1995 'Music for the Jilted Generation' 1994 went Platinum in the UK so yea they were happening at the time and go on the list.

Bob Dylan Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 100 Million 'Good as I Been to You' only reached  No.  51 in the US and  No.  18 in the UK
    UB40 Daytripper 2017 70 Million Greatest hits touring band by 2017 even Ali Campbell rejoining doesn't keep them on.
    Sister Sledge Daytripper 2018 15 Million Last hit studio album 33 years previous.
    "I'm sure Val Doonican must have played the Theatre Royal at some stage?" - Ah here.
    Joan Armatrading - The Theatre Royal - 2015 - legend but doesn't meet the criteria.

Inclusion on 'The List' pending subject to testing versus criteria above as I'm just cutting & pasting your responses and I haven't had a chance to verify:

Johnny cash The Forum
    David Grey
    Babyshambles
    Mercury Rev
    The Waterboys
    Mauro picotto
    John digweed
    the stranglers
    Bad Manners, the Savoy.
    Ash played preachers
    Marshall Jefferson (& someone else who's name I can't remember) in The Rhythm Room back in 2000/2001

Any more, please add to list rather than as comments underneath. Edit, add, verify as your going along lads. Disagree with the criteria for inclusion; argue alternatives! :)

I was at the Ocean Colour Scene gig. That would have been 2002 or 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think Roy Orbison played the Atlantic in Tramore, around 1967 ..... he did a tour of 'showband dance halls'.
    Jim Reeves also played in Ireland close to that time, but unsure where he played - was that the Atlantic also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im calling bull**** on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

Jinxy Lennon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

Jinx Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Seems it's not true about Bruce Springsteen playing here

Asked on a Bruce Springsteen forum and they have no knowledge of it. These superfans prob know what Bruce has for breakfast

http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1500515

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Johnny cash The Forum
    David Grey
    Babyshambles
    Mercury Rev
    The Waterboys
    Mauro picotto
    John digweed
    the stranglers
    Bad Manners, the Savoy.
    Ash played preachers

Weller played South in 2001.
    Babyshambles played Ten in 2006.
    Ian Brown played South in 2002 and Ten in 2004.
    Mercury Rev played Electric Avenue in 2008 and Theatre Royal in 2018.
    Fatboy Slim played South in 2002.
    The Thrills played The Forum in either 2003 or 2004.
    Snow Patrol also played Shefflins, no idea of date.
    Ocean Colour Scene played Forum in 2003.
    Scissor Sisters played Forum in 2004.
    Found an article that says Violet Femmes were to return to South in May 2004 so that means they played before then also.
    Nearly certain the Queen and Manics claims are bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

The manic's did play at the back of the mansion in about 1992, the promoter was the late Bruno Brown and was one of his first gigs in there after he left Geoff's.
    Apparently there were only a handful of people at it

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

Queen in t&h's is bull but I love the bob Dylan story

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was the butlers community centre big or something back in the day ?

Same size then as it is now? 😂😉

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Big Country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

OneRepublic played the Forum around 2009/10 and they were big enough at that point but had a huge hit with their 3rd album 'Native' in 2013. Sold 10 million records worldwide according to Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

I was told meatloaf played here. In The Three Shippes back in the ‘80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

The frames played Garter Lane early 2000's, Damien Rice - the kings, Bell X1 the junction and WIT (I think), Bryan Ferry played the Tall Ships Bowe Street carpark. Shaun Ryder was supposed to do a Dj set in the forum ( think he just stood on the stage as far as I can remember?!) ! Ocean Colour Scene played the forum again in around 2010 also Bombay Bicycle Club played the Forum around the same year. Not so long ago Badly Drawn Boy theatre royal

Advertisement