Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Band/Artist to ever play Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Gino Washington and the ram jam band. Olympia.
    The Dutch Swing College Band. Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I know they wouldn't fit into the "biggest acts" but Garter Lane have had some great acts over the years. Probably my favourite ever gig big or small was when Rodrigo Y Gabriella played there. Pretty sure Zoe Conway and the drummer from Kila were playing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

Sinead O'Connor, T&H's. Made her musical debut there on the mitch from Newtown!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

Midge Ure played the bridge in late 90s to a small crowd and when a group of women started to dance around a handbag,he left the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

dk1982 wrote: »

Never knew that!! Heard it was a teacher there that got her into the singing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Calvin Harris actually played the Forum in 2010. Hard to think considering he's now one of the biggest djs producers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

dk1982 wrote: »

It was upstairs in noriss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

redlead wrote: »
    I know they wouldn't fit into the "biggest acts" but Garter Lane have had some great acts over the years. Probably my favourite ever gig big or small was when Rodrigo Y Gabriella played there. Pretty sure Zoe Conway and the drummer from Kila were playing with them.
    Saw Rodrigo Y Gabriella in Sheff's which was one of their first gigs here I think. Absolute magic. Saw them again in Ten a few years later and it was ruined by people shouting and talking.

Worked in Muldoons/Oxygen when Coolio "performed" there (stood there while a DJ played his 2 songs). Still was nice to meet someone famous shorter than me. As I remember Six (ha!) were the first acts (maybe even the opening act) to play in Oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Adyx wrote:
    Saw Rodrigo Y Gabriella in Sheff's which was one of their first gigs here I think. Absolute magic. Saw them again in Ten a few years later and it was ruined by people shouting and talking.

Was kings bar one of their first gigs here?

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »

Worked in Muldoons/Oxygen when Coolio "performed" there (stood there while a DJ played his 2 songs). Still was nice to meet someone famous shorter than me. As I remember Six (ha!) were the first acts (maybe even the opening act) to play in Oxygen.

Six also played The Forum on New Year's Day at about 3 in the afternoon ha.

The frames played Garter Lane early 2000's, Damien Rice - the kings, Bell X1 the junction and WIT (I think), Bryan Ferry played the Tall Ships Bowe Street carpark. Shaun Ryder was supposed to do a Dj set in the forum ( think he just stood on the stage as far as I can remember?!) ! Ocean Colour Scene played the forum again in around 2010 also Bombay Bicycle Club played the Forum around the same year. Not so long ago Badly Drawn Boy theatre royal

Shaun Ryder was destroyed that night, he just pointed at songs to put on. He could barely talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Was kings bar one of their first gigs here?

Don't know to be honest. I vaguely remember them playing there I think, but I don't remember the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭webpal

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I'd say it was, can't remember exact date. He wasn't that funny to be honest, seemed to be in a humour as far as I remember
    I was there that night, same day as Hillsboro disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dubliners played the Theatre Royal during their peak in UK & Ireland.
    Probably other locations also.

Why nobody mentioned our own Brendan Boyer? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

A few memories

49213420_10161412745755089_2666946254390427648_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=eaac06872197ec1ffa0c69632f62a21b&oe=5CCD0D98

I was at the Manic Street Preachers at the Back of The Mansion, 26 April 1991. Short set, around 25 minutes. The Bewildered Teapots singer was Martin, lived in Tramore, English accent - was in the RTC the same time as me (1989-1991).
    It was plugged by Blitz Records which opened sometime in late 1990. Blitz was run by a guy called Liam and was located on Arundel Square near Enterprise Home Care. He once shared a flat with The Senseless Things. The morning after the Manics gig, Blitz was flooded with people – all looking for the Motown Junk 12″. He only had the one copy.
    Morrissey played the National Stadium the following night - so we got the Rapid Express up that day.

I remember the day The Smiths & James played The Savoy but wasn't allowed go.
    Morrissey was in Sinnott's the day after signing copies of Hatful Of Hollow.

48926296_10161412755185089_1922822219507957760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=351cd55e8ccbe6f3eda6e668f1ef4ed2&oe=5CCD3D59

While the first three albums are their best, I think UB40 were artistically valid right up until (and including) their self-titled 1988 LP. They were massive too. Sadly it flopped so they probably decided to concentrate on endless cover versions in order to sell records. The Butler Community Centre gig in 1990 was deadly.

I was still in school went I went to see The Housemartins and The Proclaimers in The Bridge Hotel. Roughest gig ever.
    The following quote is from an old Boards post "Back back you Irish dogs" shouted Stan Cullimore from the stage. Cue glasses and bottles flying towards the stage. The Proclaimers played support. A friend of mine got locked up for kicking a squad car. The folly of youth. And cider."

A House are the band I saw most in Waterford.
    "This one is for all the bastards still down in the pub." (Dave Couse introducing their opening song Call Me Blue at The Bridge Hotel, 1990). Top idea to play their most well known song (it was at the time) to a half-empty venue

Thanks for that,I was starting to think that the manic's playing in the mansion was in my imagination

I stand corrected about the Manics. Always thought it was a myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Adyx wrote:
    Don't know to be honest. I vaguely remember them playing there I think, but I don't remember the details.

They played there alright, think that was the first time I seen them, but I'm not sure if it was their first Waterford gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Not forgetting one of the best English groups from the 70’s Wishbone Ash who played here twice and I saw both gigs, the first one in the back of the mansion in the late 80’s and then mid 90’s in Garter Lane, their album in 1972 Argus was voted album of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Black Grape (Sean Ryder's band after the Happy Mondays : with Bez in tow!) played the Bridge during the long hot Summer of 1995. They released their first album to critical/commercial acclaim a few weeks later {"Its Great When Your Straight.. Yeah!"}.

Underworld also did a live gig in the Bridge too. Early 1996. Just when the film Trainspotting broke and when their 2nd album {"Second Toughest in the Infants"} was released. Another fantastic gig.

I do recall The Metroland having a lot of live music in the early to mid 90's before it turned into a dance venue. I saw Madchester Act the Inspiral Carpets there. And the Sultans of Ping (Where's Me Jumper?)

The Bridge had a great live gig scene at the time too. All the Irish bands of the era: Something Happens, The Stunning, of Us, Emotional Fish, That Petrol Emotion, A House, Engline Alley, The Pale, Aslan etc. Im pretty sure Transvision Vamp played there when they were @ their peak. For any late 80's teenage boy Wendy James would ring a few bells:p

Also The Roxy when it opened first had a lot of live music. Mostly Irish acts but there was a sprinkling of international bands. Lately as in over the past few months I've seen Badly Drawn Boy and Mercury Rev (both in the Theatre Royal)

The Forum : The Thrills, Scissors Sisters, Villagers

https://www.dailyedge.ie/memories-the-forum-waterford-2478899-Dec2015/
    https://www.forumwaterford.ie/history/

[GREAT THREAD BTW : ]

Not sure if he was at the metro land gig but the guitar roadie for the inspiral carpets at that time was one Noel Gallagher

aziz wrote: »
    Not sure if he was at the metro land gig but the guitar roadie for the inspiral carpets at that time was one Noel Gallagher

Noel Gallagher was long gone, they played in 1994.

Didn't The Prodigy also play The Metroland in 1995? Right at their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Didn't The Prodigy also play The Metroland in 1995? Right at their peak.

They played New Year's Day 1995.

And prior to that, September 1993. The VICKS Experience. Both brilliant gigs.

26733622_10160015830980089_7084636465433693429_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=ab91832e61abaefba30f321c60a91ce3&oe=5CC349FB

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGom

The Bridge had a great live gig scene at the time too. All the Irish bands of the era: Something Happens, The Stunning, of Us, Emotional Fish, That Petrol Emotion, A House, Engline Alley, The Pale, Aslan etc. Im pretty sure Transvision Vamp played there when they were @ their peak. For any late 80's teenage boy Wendy James would ring a few bells:p

Rang a few bells there, Transvision Vamp gig was well and truly forgotten forever. Cry Before Dawn missing from your Bridge regulars list, great band.

If i remember correctly, Martin Colbert ( Music Moves ) ? would have been the main driver for most of the acts mentioned in this thread, from the 80's anyway. Think he was responsible for booking acts for The Bridge before he took over the Roxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

TheGom wrote: »
    Rang a few bells there, Transvision Vamp gig was well and truly forgotten forever. Cry Before Dawn missing from your Bridge regulars list, great band.

If i remember correctly, Martin Colbert ( Music Moves ) ? would have been the main driver for most of the acts mentioned in this thread, from the 80's anyway. Think he was responsible for booking acts for The Bridge before he took over the Roxy.

Was at the Transvision Vamp gig, for one reason only, mind you, probably the worse gig I ever saw, they had to restart loads of songs because of mistakes etc. Still tho' one of the lads got a shift off Wendy, so memorable for him

Was at Paul Oakenfold down in the Bridge, or at least they said it was him. I'm still convinced to this day it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Both Paul Weller and Ian Brown played in south.

May as well close the thread now!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Both Paul Weller and Ian Brown played in south.

May as well close the thread now!

Was mentioned a few pages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Snow Patrol played in The Kings years ago.

Advertisement