Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Road Bike for 1kish for beginner

Options
  • 13-12-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have signed up to do a charity cycle in the middle of next year so need to get a road bike. I am due the bike the work scheme again so thought I would use the whole of that to get a decent bike.

Now my problem is I know very little about bikes and I only commute to work so going out on spins will be new to me. I am hoping for some advice on good bikes in my range.

My only personal preference is that it has disc brakes ( i believe there are two types?) For no other reason than I would like them!

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated so that when I go to the shops I have a better idea of what might be of interest or what to avoid.

So your 1k wish-lists please!!

Thanks

Tommy

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I just went through what you are describing and the best advice I could give is to go into a couple of the bigger stores and chat to them, you'd be surprised that it will quickly be narrowed down to 3-4 bikes.

Only thing I would say is I ended up going with Halfords because they had the bike I wanted and they were and absolute nightmare to deal with let alone buy a safe functioning bike from. (avoid avoid avoid)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is a good price, slightly over budget:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-sl-1-disc

Hydraulic discs and a 105 groupset. I have the lesser model (from 1 year ago) and it's been great for me. Quite a lot of choice in this end of the market tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going over budget leaves nothing in the kitty for pedals, shoes etc.
    @OP - this is something to bear in mind - road bikes rarely come with pedals, at least the sort of pedals most road cyclists use, where the shoe clips onto the pedal. you can buy accessories for the bike with the cycle to work scheme, so many people would budget maybe €750-€800 for the bike and the rest for helmet, shoes, pedals, lights, shorts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd (sure somebody has to!) say the opposite. Bike shops have a habit of bundling basic, bargain-basement accessories with btw bike purchases that you can often get very little value or use of. - Eg a rain jacket, a massive I-lock, gloves, pump and helmet package. It could eat up to 250 quid of your bike budget and it's very likely that you'll very soon after get a much better helmet and gloves etc etc etc.

I would always counsel spending the money on the thing (the bike) and you can spend the next 5 years accessorising like the rest of us. So spend the full grand (& more if you have it) on getting the best bike that you like the most.

Advertisement