Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daytripper 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Looking forward to one step beyond Sunday since I wont be hearing it down the blues tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just back from Madness tonight. Great gig and good crowd there too.

Anyone know what the capacity of that venue is for Daytripper? I overheard a conversation where they said only 900 turned up on the Sat night due to the weather, dunno how true that was though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Anyone know what the capacity of that venue is for Daytripper? I overheard a conversation where they said only 900 turned up on the Sat night due to the weather, dunno how true that was though.

The capacity for comfort would be about 8000. Was there tonight and enjoyed it and was great to see the city hopping before and after it . Tonight saved it . Friday was only 1900 . Saturday was 2200 and tonight was 3700. Organiser just broke even. He told me last night he wasn't having it next year unfortunately. Needed a big Dj dance act last night to attract the younger crowd but the top ones cost too much. I love day tripper and will miss it if it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

The capacity for comfort would be about 8000. Was there tonight and enjoyed it and was great to see the city hopping before and after it . Tonight saved it . Friday was only 1900 . Saturday was 2200 and tonight was 3700. Organiser just broke even. He told me last night he wasn't having it next year unfortunately. Needed a big Dj dance act last night to attract the younger crowd but the top ones cost too much. I love day tripper and will miss it if it's gone.

He said that last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gillman1998

It would be a shame if it didn’t take place next year but I think the quality of the headliners needs to improve. Good venue though, even if the bar ran out of San Miguel, Bulmers and wine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Need to get Michael Buble in ;)

It must be very tricky to get acts in to a place the size of Waterford who could fill the venue and then add in the capricious weather. You can't go for someone too niche, they can't afford the kind of acts that are big in the charts now so it's really down to the nostalgia acts and their schedules which means you're reduced to a handful of potential headliners at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Would they not try something different maybe just one night on the Sunday and get a big act then try sell that out,or even the Saturday and Sunday night.

If the organiser isnt going to do it next year maybe someone else might take it on as it is a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

with the Liverpool Feis been cancelled an event similar to it in Waterford would draw a crowd and probably get close to capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Gardner wrote: »
    with the Liverpool Feis been cancelled an event similar to it in Waterford would draw a crowd and probably get close to capacity.

Why was the Liverpool feis cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lack of interest. Vince Power is an inveterate festival creator and they don't all work. The Liverpool feis really is a throw back , perfect for sentimental irish Scouser population but wouldn't be seen as a thing in Waterford in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Max Powers wrote: »
    Looking forward to one step beyond Sunday since I wont be hearing it down the blues tonight.

That's me that sings it - I ended up on the stage with Skazoo in Electric Avenue singing it on Sunday after Madness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

It would be a shame if it didn’t take place next year but I think the quality of the headliners needs to improve. Good venue though, even if the bar ran out of San Miguel, Bulmers and wine.

So each night crowd was between quarter and half full and ye still drank the bar dry?

Would they not try something different maybe just one night on the Sunday and get a big act then try sell that out,or even the Saturday and Sunday night.

If the organiser isnt going to do it next year maybe someone else might take it on as it is a great location.

I often thought a Marquee type event like they have in Cork would be ideal in Waterford. Weather can be hit and miss in Ireland at any time of the year and this surely has an effect on road numbers. A 2 night even would be perfect. A dance act for the younger crowd one night and a more established band for the older crowd on the other night. Hopefully this isn’t the end of Daytripper, I had a great time there last Sunday night. 1st concert I’ve been too that I didn’t have hassle getting parking and walking miles to the gig, or getting out of afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

I often thought a Marquee type event like they have in Cork would be ideal in Waterford. Weather can be hit and miss in Ireland at any time of the year and this surely has an effect on road numbers. A 2 night even would be perfect. A dance act for the younger crowd one night and a more established band for the older crowd on the other night. Hopefully this isn’t the end of Daytripper, I had a great time there last Sunday night. 1st concert I’ve been too that I didn’t have hassle getting parking and walking miles to the gig, or getting out of afterward.

Which is why Big Top Live is coming in August for 5 nights. Same venue too afaik with Happy Mondays, Finbar Furey and Keith Barry announced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

So each night crowd was between quarter and half full and ye still drank the bar dry?

Hope it stays and once there are not losing money it should stay.

Jenny Green was also playing in Limerick on Saturday night and had a crowd if 2.5k based on populations 1600 in Waterford isn't a bad turn out when you look at it that way.

I really enjoy day tripper, great addition to the city, hopefully they can keep making money while getting support from Waterford from both the business and public communities.

Which is why Big Top Live is coming in August for 5 nights. Same venue too afaik with Happy Mondays, Finbar Furey and Keith Barry announced so far.

Wow. Wasn’t aware that was happening. Happy Monday’s here I come 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

all shows are a sit down event. good luck with that one lads

Wow. Wasn’t aware that was happening. Happy Monday’s here I come ��

I’ve seen them a few times and really excited to see them coming to Waterford. There was a radio interview last week and I’m sure it was said that there were two more music acts to be announced. Also, and I must try to find the interview again, I’m sure it was a mix of seated and standing for some shows. Sitting down for Happy Mondays isn’t going to happen!

For anybody interested, here is a link to the WLR Big Top Live announcement. In it they say 4,000 capacity or 2,000 seated which suggests some flexibility

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/05/28/deise-today-tuesday-28th-may-the-new-marquee-festival-coming-to-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hoping the remaining acts for the top hat are good and are of the rock/metal genre

Someone like Ian Brown/Liam Gallagher would be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Liam Gallagher is in Cork in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Liam Gallagher is in Cork in 2 weeks time.

I knw going to it myself but nice too see someone of that calibre in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hoping the remaining acts for the top hat are good and are of the rock/metal genre

Someone like Ian Brown/Liam Gallagher would be good

I heard they are trying to get Ian Brown and Roisin Murphy for the 2 music nights not yet filled. Both would be great additions in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I heard they are trying to get Ian Brown and Roisin Murphy for the 2 music nights not yet filled. Both would be great additions in fairness.

I might have to take that week off work. Ian Brown, Roisin and the Happy Mondays would all be cracking nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Would be cool to have Richard Ashcroft play. Though i the think he might be too big of a name though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Not much talk on here after the event ?
    Not even to give out ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Would anyone have an idea of what kind of attendances Daytripper had each day this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

Obviously not enough to make it worth having next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

aziz wrote: »
    Obviously not enough to make it worth having next year

I felt like it was more popular in other years? or do I just have a selective memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Is it finished?

Advertisement