Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump Sum or small amount payment off a mortgage?

• 13-12-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

My understanding is that my mortgage interest in calculated daily so accrues that way.

Am I better then paying an amount for example €500 a fortnight off the capital or waiting and putting in €1000 a month?

I’m trying to see if your better going in with a big amount like €5000 every 3-4 months or paying off smaller amount more frequently to bring down the capital balance and save on interest.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Assuming the amount is credited against the capital immediately pay as much as you can as early as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I am on a fixed term, and doing a lump sum overpayment worked out better for us in terms of keeping the breakage fees down to a minimum.
    You can contact the bank to advise on the fees against various overpayment options.

Advertisement