Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid bike recommendation

Options
  • 13-12-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations on a bike. My situation:

I don't have a car and my bike is my main mode of transport. I use it to get to work and around Dublin, on pretty crappy roads (2 punctures in the last month due to potholes), uphill in the morning, in city centre traffic and out the Ballymun Road, which is a wind tunnel when the weather decides. 7.5km each way. I usually carry a pannier or two filled with work clothes, weekly shopping etc. I'd like to be able to take it out for a spin every so often but I'm not into racing or in a club so this is very much secondary.

I'm currently riding a Giant CRS 4 that I bought 10 years ago for about €400 and haven't looked after particularly well. I've put Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres on it. The gears are a bit funky and it's heavy, but it does everything I want it to do. I'd like something that can do everything it does only faster and with me pumping less of a sweat. I have all the accessories I need.

I've been looking at a Cube SL Road Race and the guy in the LBS reckons it ticks all my boxes. Any thoughts on this? Other hybrid bikes to consider? Other types of bikes to consider? I've Cycle to Work available and can go a bit over the €1000 if needed but I'm pretty sure that's unnecessary for my needs.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can the cube take mudguards and panniers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

can the cube take mudguards and panniers?
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

The Cube is a great bike - 3 or 4 guys here in work commuting daily on them! All very positive about them!

Advertisement