Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote for External Light

Options
  • 13-12-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,

i installed a flood light in front of my house last year, with a motion sensor detector, the plan being that when you drive past the sensor the light turns on, lighting up the front of the house while your getting out of the car / unloading kids etc (we live in the country).

But it doesnt work very well. . . .. turns on with wind, rain etc . or sometimes doesnt turn on when passing.

What would be ideal is a remote control button so that when you arrive home you can push the button and turn on the light before leaving the car. And turn off automatically after say 5 mins.

Anything like this available, or any other ideas?

Advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sounds like a poor quality PIR or the sensitivity is not set correctly. Replace the fitting with a better quality one and you shouldn't have any problems. These lights are widely used and there is no major problems. If the location of the PIR sensor is a problem you could wire in a good quality separate PIR sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Sounds like a poor quality PIR or the sensitivity is not set correctly. Replace the fitting with a better quality one and you shouldn't have any problems. These lights are widely used and there is no major problems. If the location of the PIR sensor is a problem you could wire in a good quality separate PIR sensor.
    Thanks for that.
    The sensitivity is set to the max. Can you recommend any good sensor ? but id imagine a remote controll would be better as a passing dog etc will turn it on even with a good sensor no??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you want a remote light you could just cut open one of the remote sockets you see very cheap and wire it in instead of the pir.

Your current pir should not be on max sensitivity. Most wholesalers Will supply decent quality pirs/lights, as trade customers hate being called out a second time.

If you want a remote light you could just cut open one of the remote sockets you see very cheap and wire it in instead of the pir.

Your current pir should not be on max sensitivity. Most wholesalers Will supply decent quality pirs/lights, as trade customers hate being called out a second time.

Thanks for that. Not sure of the remote sockets your talking about. never seen one. do you know is there any on ebay? maybe you could send me a link if you see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I've got these installed for my house - a wireless PIR triggers my driveway lights as I drive up to the gate or they can be turned on at will using a remote - it also prevents them from getting out of step (for instance if the PIR turns on the lights and you turn them off with the remote, the timer on the PIR won't erroneously turn them back on again). It's a modular system and multi-channel and multi-circuit.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/EasySwitch/index.html

• Advertisement

I've got these installed for my house - a wireless PIR triggers my driveway lights as I drive up to the gate or they can be turned on at will using a remote - it also prevents them from getting out of step (for instance if the PIR turns on the lights and you turn them off with the remote, the timer on the PIR won't erroneously turn them back on again). It's a modular system and multi-channel and multi-circuit.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/EasySwitch/index.html

Thanks for that Supertoucher. Can you tell me which product code your referring to?
    Also, does the pir give much trouble in wind / rain, turning on unnessacerily?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

They have interesting stuff on that website supertoucher. Thanks for sharing.

I have a LM ESR4 as I want to switch more channels in the future.

I have the LM ESF4 remote and the LM ESD1 PIR. It's mounted on a fence pointed downwards so it detects our cars when we drive up.

I've yet to have a false activation that i've noticed. The PIR is 40 metres from the receiver and the other side of a wall. No issues with weather but i'd recommend getting a Lithium 9V if possible as they handle the cold weather better.

thanks for that. so youv got a pir and remote operating the lights.

is it easy wire in the LM ESR4? is it installed just next to the light?

Does the pir need to be hard wired to reciever?

thanks for that. so youv got a pir and remote operating the lights.

Correct

is it easy wire in the LM ESR4? is it installed just next to the light?

I've wired mine in just below my garage consumer unit (in the garage). Simple to do - just feeds in and out.

3qZncm8.jpg

Does the pir need to be hard wired to reciever?

No - the PIR is wireless and runs off a 9V battery (hence recommending a lithium one). Manufacturer claims that the battery should last at least a year, but time will tell I guess - replacing a 9V every 6 months wouldn't be the end of the world for me. Beats running more cable down to the gate (which is where the PIR is)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In the past I used the Stinel wireless PIRs, receivers and key fobs (remote control). It all works very well and is easy to set up and wire.

See link: http://www.steinel-professional.de/en/sensors/accessories-spare-parts/impulser-transmitter-wireless-hand-held-transmitter-rc-400-wireless-sensor-technology.html

A single PIR or key fob can be programmed to activate multiple lights. Alternatively multiple PIRs and / or key fobs can be used to activate a single light. They also make lights with a built in receiver.

Correct

I've wired mine in just below my garage consumer unit (in the garage). Simple to do - just feeds in and out.

3qZncm8.jpg

No - the PIR is wireless and runs off a 9V battery (hence recommending a lithium one). Manufacturer claims that the battery should last at least a year, but time will tell I guess - replacing a 9V every 6 months wouldn't be the end of the world for me. Beats running more cable down to the gate (which is where the PIR is)

Thakns very much for that. So the receiver is on the the main cable leading out to the lights? And does the PIR need to be within a certain distance of the receiver, or within a clear line of sight?

2011 wrote: »
    In the past I used the Stinel wireless PIRs, receivers and key fobs (remote control). It all works very well and is easy to set up and wire.

See link: http://www.steinel-professional.de/en/sensors/accessories-spare-parts/impulser-transmitter-wireless-hand-held-transmitter-rc-400-wireless-sensor-technology.html

A single PIR or key fob can be programmed to activate multiple lights. Alternatively multiple PIRs and / or key fobs can be used to activate a single light. They also make lights with a built in receiver.

Thanks. I was on to Steinel, and that product is discontinued!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks. I was on to Steinel, and that product is discontinued!

Oh dear, that is not good. No newer versions of the same???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Advertisement