Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is PP required for a second front door?

• 13-12-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone ‘in the know’ can help please? Wanted to add a second exterior front door to my house… does this require PP? Any help would be appreciated – have googled this extensively and can’t find any reference anywhere:mad:! Tnx

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

karlyk1 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone ‘in the know’ can help please? Wanted to add a second exterior front door to my house… does this require PP? Any help would be appreciated – have googled this extensively and can’t find any reference anywhere:mad:! Tnx

Yes is the short answer.
    More info on location etc to provide a more detailed answer.

For example, in Dublin city, generally, they won’t allow you to add a second entrance door to the front elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

Thanks Kceire, I thought as much. Am based in north Dublin, semi-d in a cul-de-sac. I presume the easiest way around it is to build a small porch not exceeding 2m sq. that straddles the length needed to accommodate the 2 doors? Think I'm right in assuming no pp required for front porch still?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I imagine that the reason you need the second front door is relevant to the planning question.

Are you subdividing a dwelling?

No, just want an extra access point. We have an extension (full PP) built on the side (with connecting doors to house etc) for when a family member was living with us. Sadly, the family member is now deceased and frankly we have more room than we need (a good complaint, I know!) so were toying with the idea of renting the rooms out to a student/students under Rent A Room Allowance. Thing is we have a dog with no road sense who takes any available opportunity to bolt out the door into traffic. :rolleyes:
    We have the knack of going in and out without the little bugger escaping but, quite frankly, I don’t expect (or trust!) other people to – so a second door (into their space from a porch, say) would probably solve the problem. It would give us a bit more privacy when they’re coming and going too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

karlyk1 wrote: »
    Thanks Kceire, I thought as much. Am based in north Dublin, semi-d in a cul-de-sac. I presume the easiest way around it is to build a small porch not exceeding 2m sq. that straddles the length needed to accommodate the 2 doors? Think I'm right in assuming no pp required for front porch still?

Build a porch.
    Within the porch have 2 doors.
    One to each side.

PP for the porch will depend on the area of the other extensions on the site, including the ones that already have PP.

• Advertisement

Yeah, porch is probably the way to go, but I can’t find any info anywhere that says you must factor in area of other extensions on site. In fact, every single article/building regs/planning reference just mentions it not being bigger than 2sqm internally, and 3-4m in height depending on roof type… i.e. treating it as a completely stand-alone item.:confused:

Advertisement