Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Manchester United 16/12 - Sky Sports 16:00 **See OP for mod warnings**

• 14-12-2018 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

The biggest tie of the weekend kicks off on Sunday at 16:00 from Anfield, live on Sky Sports and the usual other sources.

Tale of the tape
    United have been floundering with only one league win in the last 6 and that coming against newly promoted Fulham. Liverpool on the other hand have been in superb form all season dropping only 6 points, they remain the only undefeated team in the league. Going in to the game they are rightly heavy favourites with prices of up to 11/2 available on a United win, surely the longest they have been in this fixture in the premier league era.

Rumours of team unrest and a severe lack of form for many of Uniteds players have them languishing in 6th in the table, 8 points off a champions league place already where as Liverpools record signings VanDyke and Becker have hit the ground running and have really helped shore up what has been a porous defence. They are however not without injury concerns with both Matip and Gomez ruled out until the new year. United themselves are not without their own injuries list with Diogo Dalot, Matteo Darmian, Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo, Victor Lindelof, Chris Smalling, Scott McTominay, Anthony Martial, Alexis Sanchez either confirmed unavailable or a doubt for the fixture.

The majority of United fans believe its a matter of when and not if Jose is shown the door and a heavy defeat against their arch rivals would most likely go a ways to hastening the process however in recent times, Klopp's team has something of a blind spot against United with his sole win in a competitive game coming in the Europa League during his first season however, given the form of both teams, him and their fans will surely expect nothing less than a win come Sunday.

Prediction
    Hard to see past the home team. If Anthony Martial is declared fit then that may help the cause but given the polar opposite form of both teams, United face an uphill battle.

3-1

Admin warning 15/12/18
    Beasty wrote: »
    Guys - this thread is about the match, and not what might happen to managers or indeed players at some future date

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm expected a result to result from this game.
    Can't wait to not enjoy watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

United are so inconsistent that we would never know which United are going to show up, after a poor enough start performance wise, while still getting the results, Pool have started to hit their stride a bit.

One thing about Jose he knows how to play the big games, if he picks the players that want to give everything for the team we might get a game out of it.

Not convinced that will happen though so prediction would be a 2-0 2-1 to pool and Jose getting his P45 on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

United to somehow get a result, like they always do 1-1.
    However, a 3-0 tonking would.make my xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

A game made for the "old" Jose ... come to Anfield, frustrate, waste time, setup with back 5 and everyone fighting to hold onto a result - come out with a 1-0 win and 2 fingers up to everyone that dared to doubt him. Inevitable.

Lets see if he has any magic left in the tank.

I expect United to really come out fighting. Regardless of how they feel about their manager. Game will be tight and much like the City v United earlier in the season i expect Liverpool to look more dangerous but struggle to put them away completely always leaving the door ajar to be hit with the sucker punch.

Liverpool to score early and win 2-0 or no score before halftime then 1-1 overall.

Klopp to come out saying his players found it tough to get up for a huge game within such a short time and Jose blaming his players for 1 thing or another. Pogba to play couple games of Fifa and post a selfie in the middle of the game laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

astradave wrote: »

Not convinced that will happen though so prediction would be a 2-0 2-1 to pool and Jose getting his P45 on Monday.

If only it were that simple. The impotent board will keep him there til its cheaper to sack him.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

One game that will tell you all about either team. Whichever team is struggling always usually gives everything in this one and is always hard game to predict . Even if utd were to scrape a win or a draw its only a matter of time before Mourinho is gone. Cant see utds defence holding out. Liverpool 3 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Either a bore fest 0-0 or an embarrassing heavy defeat. Hard to see a United win... but as oft been said before .. it's a funny oul game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

These are the kinds of game you'd bank on the old Jose getting a result from and more often than not he used to win.

That Jose looks long gone so you cant really look passed a Pool on current form.

2 - 1.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool unbeaten this season, top of the league, at home in the league for over 18 months, Utd struggling, discontent between players. manager, board and fans, already almost impossible to win the league and outsiders for top 4. It's clear what the result will be on Sunday.

Away win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jose won't want an open game, that'll play into Liverpool's hands.
    This will be an arm wrestle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Will be interesting but I do expect a Liverpool win +2, Salah is looking very sharp last few weeks so I expect a big game from him.

Big difference this year for Liverpool is that they can play multiple type of games and are very strong in defense so if they can get the first goal earlier then that is the key for me.

Is this the game where Jose commits football harakiri to get the big pay off he is clearly looking for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

5starpool wrote:
    Liverpool unbeaten this season, top of the league, at home in the league for over 18 months, Utd struggling, discontent between players. manager, board and fans, already almost impossible to win the league and outsiders for top 4. It's clear what the result will be on Sunday.

You're not undefeated you lost to red star Belgrade and PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Liverpool need to keep beating mid table teams like Utd to push for the title.

4-1, Salah hat trick.

I expect Liverpool players will be kicked around the field and lose 1 - 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I expect Liverpool players will be kicked around the field and lose 1 - 0

That would be a most satisfactory outcome. :)

brinty wrote: »
    You're not undefeated you lost to red star Belgrade and PSG

And Napoli and Chelsea.

I bet you are a founder member of the "everyone knows what he means but I'm going to be 'that' guy" club.

5starpool wrote: »
    And Napoli and Chelsea.

I bet you are a founder member of the "everyone knows what he means but I'm going to be 'that' guy" club.

Obviously follows closely

And Napoli and Chelsea.

No need to get emotional about it
    Don't say stupid things about being undefeated when you've lost four times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well it didn't take Brinty long to throw out the buzzword of the season.

I think the main question is how many funny faces will Phil Jones make? I'm going for four.

Probably be a scrapy game. 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Fairly certain he meant unbeaten this season.. In the league.. as most of his post references the league.

"unbeaten" "top of the league" "at home in the league over 18 months"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And Napoli and Chelsea.

Remember the year United went on a long unbeaten run from 6th Nov - 13th March only for people to forget a loss V Hull as that did not matter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I cant wait to come on here after the game and see Man Utd supporters defend how their team parked the bus and barely crossed the halfway line and didnt play football at all to win 0-0 like they have the past 2 years.

What a joke they have become

I cant wait to come on here after the game and see Man Utd supporters defend how their team parked the bus and barely crossed the halfway line and didnt play football at all to win 0-0 like they have the past 2 years.

Have to agree with you. You've probably plenty of experience when it was the other way round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's going be tough game as always, for utd I suppose it's going be an emotional cup final for them so I expect them to raise their game.

Have to agree with you. You've probably plenty of experience when it was the other way round

I don't think Liverpool ever parked the bus. They tried to attack and were often beaten by the better team.

I believe you will be disappointed sir. At this stage United fans just want Jose gone, Sunday's result is moot. We certainly aren't getting near the top two regardless and we will be up against it to even get top 4. We could win 5 nil and play like a 70s Brazilian team and it would change absolutely nothing.

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's going be tough game as always, for utd I suppose it's going be an emotional cup final for them so I expect them to raise their game.

What variety of cup final sir?

I believe you will be disappointed sir. At this stage United fans just want Jose gone, Sunday's result is moot. We certainly aren't getting near the top two regardless and we will be up against it to even get top 4. We could win 5 nil and play like a 70s Brazilian team and it would change absolutely nothing.

Would you prefer a win and Jose gets the boards backing for another few months or to be beaten and the board say enough is enough and sack him Monday morning?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Would you prefer a win and Jose gets the boards backing for another few months or to be beaten and the board say enough is enough and sack him Monday morning?

If it meant getting Jose gone on Monday I'd take a 10 nil defeat tbh. I'd be very surprised if any United fan could say they want Jose to remain in situ and actually mean it.

• Advertisement

What variety of cup final sir?

The one where it's all utd fans have to hope for in life. In fairness you lot are gone so bad nobody even cares when you lose anymore.

If it meant getting Jose gone on Monday I'd take a 10 nil defeat tbh. I'd be very surprised if any United fan could say they want Jose to remain in situ and actually mean it.

I know but I don't think many fans would appreciate a hammering from Liverpool either. If we get rid of him for you, you can send us a box of quality street!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United beat Liverpool comfortably enough with Smalling and McTominay in the team last March. If Rashford can get one on one with Alexander-Arnold again I'd be confident of United grabbing a goal or 2. Unfortunately the defense are all over the shop so the solidity shown in that game has been lost. In individual games the team have shown a level of desire but I wouldn't put money on it.

I'd say if United grab the first then they'll probably get a win or draw but if Liverpool score first it's curtains, just like the City game.

The one where it's all utd fans have to hope for in life. In fairness you lot are gone so bad nobody even cares when you lose anymore.

You seem to care as much if not more pal. Your efforts in recent weeks are some of your more balls out in history.

Think Utd will get a result here.

0-0

Liam O wrote: »
    United beat Liverpool comfortably enough with Smalling and McTominay in the team last March. If Rashford can get one on one with Alexander-Arnold again I'd be confident of United grabbing a goal or 2. Unfortunately the defense are all over the shop so the solidity shown in that game has been lost. In individual games the team have shown a level of desire but I wouldn't put money on it.

I'd say if United grab the first then they'll probably get a win or draw but if Liverpool score first it's curtains, just like the City game.

TAA is out. Was injured on Tuesday night so probably Milner at RB.

• Advertisement

I said it on here after either last seasons game or the season before, I was stunned by the response of Utd supporters and their acceptance of the way their team played.

Down through the years we have had very very poor teams go to Old Trafford where the difference in class would have been wider than it probably is now but I always expected us to have a go and the vast majority of the time we did. The vast majority of the time we were beaten also but at least we went down fighting. Never would I have been happy to park the bus and celebrate a 0-0 draw.

Man Utd players should be chomping at the bit to end Liverpools unbeaten run but they (or maybe their manager) will be too scared to actually attack.

The "Special" one has broken ye and I actually feel a bit sorry for ye. #JoseIn

Matip and Gomez are definitely out, Alexander-Arnold a doubt. Lovren should be ok beside van Dijk (famous last words) and it's likely Milner will play right back again I'd say. That being the case, I reckon Klopp plays Henderson and Wijnaldum in midfield, with Mane, Firmino and Shaqiri playing just behind Salah.

In saying that though, Liverpool have played a more standard 433 against the bigger teams so far, so he may play Keita or Fabinho ahead of Shaqiri. It's good to have good options anyway.

You seem to care as much if not more pal. Your efforts in recent weeks are some of your more balls out in history.

Course I care, it's the biggest game of the season for me.

Don't lie, although is it worse to be pitied than scorned?

Don't lie, although is it worse to be pitied than scorned?

Ok, that was a lie! Of course I'm loving it!

But they are becoming irrelevant to me. Their result is now an afterthought after I check for the other top 5 teams results

• Advertisement

I said it on here after either last seasons game or the season before, I was stunned by the response of Utd supporters and their acceptance of the way their team played.

Down through the years we have had very very poor teams go to Old Trafford where the difference in class would have been wider than it probably is now but I always expected us to have a go and the vast majority of the time we did. The vast majority of the time we were beaten also but at least we went down fighting. Never would I have been happy to park the bus and celebrate a 0-0 draw.

Man Utd players should be chomping at the bit to end Liverpools unbeaten run but they (or maybe their manager) will be too scared to actually attack.

You might be taking me up wrong. I totally despise the parking the bus style going for a 0 0 as a good result.

I have said on numerous occasions I don't care about the results as long as it's a good game to watch and the players and the manager show some effort in actually wanting to win the game. Something' that hasn't been shown for a long time.

If we do get beat and Jose gets the door it will be a result for me.

For a bunch of people who haven't seen their team win diddly squat in 10 or so years, Liverpool fans really know how to get ahead of themselves.

No one cares about you anymore
    Course I care, it's the biggest game of the season for me.

its the biggest game of the season for me

Wow contradicted yourself within one thread page...

That's some kind of record, which is it????

For a bunch of people who haven't seen their team win diddly squat in 10 or so years, Liverpool fans really know how to get ahead of themselves.

sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh

You're not allowed say stuff like that Liam...

For a bunch of people who haven't seen their team be any more than occasionally successful since 1990, we know to enjoy the good feeling while it lasts because it might not last long. Ye'll learn.

For a bunch of people who haven't seen their team be any more than occasionally successful since 1990, we know to enjoy the good feeling while it lasts because it might not last long. Ye'll learn.

Occasional success
    Those lemons must be fierce bitter for you....

Most of us are supporting our team since before we were ever successful, and can remember when we were always the bridesmaid. We don't need to "learn" anything

Trainwreck already. I love it. Things are wonderful at the moment, do you expect us to be miserable.

Trainwreck already. I love it. Things are wonderful at the moment, do you expect us to be miserable.

Nope just makes the inevitable fall so much more fun to watch and enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Judging by the form of Utd against Arsenal, i don't expect this to be a stroll in the park for Liverpool. Utd have been poor, with a less than 50% win rate in the premier league, while Liverpool remain unbeaten and a win rate of 80%+ and in great form.

Having said that I expect Utd to be well up for this game, and given the likelihood is that they will struggle for a Champs League place, they will want to give the fans some solace against their biggest rivals. I don't think there's as much of a gulf in class, as the results would suggest, and if Martial plays, it can only be to the determent of Liverpool fans.

Prediction Utd to get a result, but Liverpool to remain unbeaten in the PL. 2-2.

Oh people care, it's just apathy. We know that we are on a hiding to nothing with Jose in charge. There are a variety of reasons that have been talked about ad nauseum so I'm not going to repeat them but people just want it over and to start again. If that takes a tonking from you boys to get that done then so be it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement