Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Manchester United 16/12 - Sky Sports 16:00 **See OP for mod warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

brinty wrote: »
    Occasional success
    Those lemons must be fierce bitter for you....

Most of us are supporting our team since before we were ever successful, and can remember when we were always the bridesmaid. We don't need to "learn" anything

Em try read his post again. He said Liverpool fans are enjoying the way we are playing because we've only had a small bit of success in the PL era.

It's probably very difficult to read from your lecturing podium though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

5starpool wrote: »
    Don't lie, although is it worse to be pitied than scorned?

Why would anybody have pity for United ? I am a United fan and have absolutely no pity for our fans or the club. Look at what the Glazers have done with their American Football team and the exact same fate is happening to United. Jose is actually the perfect human shield for the disinterested owners/CEO, with some fans happy to presume the manager is the biggest problem. If nothing changes in how the club is run the manager(s) will always be the problem.

There is a total disconnect between what the team needs and what the club signs and the manager it employs. The people at the top don't really understand the game and there aren't enough footballing people within the club structure to give informed advice that challenges the owners priorities. Sure the club spends money but nobody is sure exactly how much involvement our manager has in the decision making process or what parameters are set when players are being identified. Only a pleb would presume that Jose literally picks whoever he wants and the club goes out and get them. No top club works that way, so if, by unlikely chance that's the way United is run, then Woodward really is a bigger moron then he already looks.

Many fans still support Jose cause they know he knows what he is doing. Most people with an ounce of intelligence don't buy the "Jose is finished" horsesh*t because United has had its best 2 seasons under his management since SAF retired. Hes succeeded everywhere hes gone, the cluster f**k of a club that United is, is not a place to judge if Jose is finished. You could argue that only Pep had a better record during those two seasons. Maybe its not the brand of football fans want or the methods (public spats etc) but its been the best this club has done which says more about the club then the manager. There are some fans unwilling or incapable of reflecting on the reality of the clubs demise but it explains why those who do look at the club in a broader context will still support the manager when he is so obviously failing with the quality of squad at his disposal.

Sundays game could go anyway. If Liverpool are on the ball and playing well it doesn't matter what United do TBH. But since this is a unique game I am not sure what to expect. Could be 4-0 to Pool , 0-0 or a scrappy 1-0 to United. I would bet on the game from this order of likelihood (Pool win - draw - Away win).

I don't know why a defeat, even a thumping would make any difference to Jose's position. I don't know how he is still there other then an alternative is not available or they are going to back him in January with some big deals. (hopefully Pogba goes to PSG for stupid money).

Oh and I don't believe rival fans, for all their "Hope Jose keeps his job" actually have the same sort of confidence they would with a Moyes or LVG. What's happening at United is a result of a divided dressing room and the managers failings at sorting it out. The team finished 2nd last season playing poorly. They still get some big results despite being hopelessly below the standards we know they can reach. United changing managers guarantees more change, more time to rebuild and offers only uncertainty. If Jose is retained and fully supported I think deep down most people know he's the kind of manager who would just as likely win a league or champions league as he is to destroy everything. For me, the question is what sort of support (Ins/Outs) has he and if the club is willing to make some big calls on players he's not getting on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

You might be taking me up wrong. I totally despise the parking the bus style going for a 0 0 as a good result.

I have said on numerous occasions I don't care about the results as long as it's a good game to watch and the players and the manager show some effort in actually wanting to win the game. Something' that hasn't been shown for a long time.

If we do get beat and Jose gets the door it will be a result for me.

Yeah I agree, of course we all want to win games and trophies but when you aren't doing much of winning either you at least have to try and play the game an attractive way. Thats why a lot of Man Utd fans are missing the point when they scoff at us, just like Liam below. Under Klopp and in fairness Rodgers before that, we played good football and it always felt like we were building towards something. I enjoyed watching us play, I looked forward to watching us play because it was good entertainment. Unfortunately we ended up back at square one more often than I would like especially the Hodgson era but the optimism was always there that we were still on the right path.

Man Utd fans are very quick to point out that we have won nothing under Klopp and they have won a couple of FA cups and league cups but anyone that says our last 5/6 years have been less enjoyable (bar Rodgers last season) despite not winning a trophy is a liar.

Now though, thankfully we have reached a level of consistency, whereby we do need to start winning trophies as playing great football will not be enough. If it does not happen this season I wont complain as long as we are competing right to the end with Man City but of course that cant go on forever as I dont think we have ever been stronger

Liam O wrote: »
    For a bunch of people who haven't seen their team win diddly squat in 10 or so years, Liverpool fans really know how to get ahead of themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Occasional success

Most of us are supporting our team since before we were ever successful, and can remember when we were always the bridesmaid. We don't need to "learn" anything

What the hell are you talking about? I wasn't born pre 1960 so could support the team before the most successful 25 years in the clubs history (and I'm even going to mostly ignore your incorrect use of the word ever as I don't want to be 'that' guy). I remember a lot of the 80's, but since then it has been a mixture of the grim, the hopeful and the occasionally great.

I'd be pretty sure that a significant number of the utd fans here are early 30's or younger, so until the last few years had only heard of times utd weren't the dominant team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's going be tough game as always, for utd I suppose it's going be an emotional cup final for them so I expect them to raise their game.

I'm amazed that Titian didn't deride you for using the "buzzword"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No need to get emotional about it
    Don't say stupid things about being undefeated when you've lost four times

I saw this hadn't got a thanks yet so I threw one in for ya icon14.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

5starpool wrote: »
    For a bunch of people who haven't seen their team be any more than occasionally successful since 1990, we know to enjoy the good feeling while it lasts because it might not last long. Ye'll learn.
    Occasional success

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Em try read his post again. He said Liverpool fans are enjoying the way we are playing because we've only had a small bit of success in the PL era.

It's probably very difficult to read from your lecturing podium though.

Em where does he mention anything about the bolded part in the post i responded too?

Yep it is quite difficult reading from my lecturing podium alright... when you keep posting incorrect statements its quite easy to lecture ;)

astradave wrote: »

I fecking missed it :pac: god dam it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Agh tbf it must've just slipped out when he was typing.
    It's ok niallo, we know ye didn't mean it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Fair play to the OP for starting this thread on the Friday morning, it is giving me great entertainment so far :D

I fecking missed it :pac: god dam it :(

You did in your shìte :pac:

You did in your shìte :pac:

I actually didn't see it. Going back to thank it now though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Has anyone suggested a combined XI yet?

>>

<<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

GavRedKing wrote: »

>>

<<

Bangkok's will only be Pogba X 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

>>

<<

Gary Neville' did earlier in the week. &#55357;&#56904;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

>>

<<

.468172.png

The only player I think good enough for the Liverpool team on current form this season is Martial.

That's as a neutral.

>>

<<

Monday night football did one. Gary Neville included two United players who can't even make the United first 11 never mind a combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

What is with the "emotional" sh!te I see certain posters trying to shoehorn into every post

I get the slip jibes but not that reference?

As to the game a nice comfortable 2-0 would make me happy but I am expecting more of a cagey 0-0 or an uncomfortable 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Another Liverpool match thread started by a Man U fan. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

>>

<<

Work away until your heart is content

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46496330

Monday night football did one. Gary Neville included two United players who can't even make the United first 11 never mind a combined.

Bailly' was one. Cant remember who the other one was. That's a good enough example.

monkey9 wrote: »

Last one worked out well :D

Another liverpool fan posting in a man United match thread :rolleyes:

Bailly' was one. Cant remember who the other one was. That's a good enough example.

Actually think a fit Bailly would be a perfect foil for VVD.. be a bit of rio/Vidic about them

Pogba was the second who hasn't been really in the team.

Christ.really says it all when we're struggling to get two players. Bailly maybe but still has a lot to prove. Pogba definitely not. De Gea definitely for me.

Christ.really says it all when we're struggling to get two players. Bailly maybe but still has a lot to prove. Pogba definitely not. De Gea definitely for me.

de Gea on current form against Becker? Mind-boggling.

Unless ruling out injured players, Gomez would easily partner van Dijk at centre half in a combined 11.

van Dijk
    Gomez
    Robertson
    Salah

These 4 are absolutely nailed on in any combined XI right now by any objective person. No utd players are nailed on. If we are purely going on this season, Alisson is nailed on too.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    de Gea on current form against Becker? Mind-boggling.

Not mind boggling at all. Do you not think a big part of de geas form is to do with what's in front of him. Still one of the best in the world in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Not mind boggling at all. Do you not think a big part of de geas form is to do with what's in front of him. Still one of the best in the world in my eyes.

He had the same in front of him last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Liam O wrote: »
    For a bunch of people who haven't seen their team win diddly squat in 10 or so years, Liverpool fans really know how to get ahead of themselves.

Don't get this. For years Liverpool fans have been absolutely blasted for referring to the history books for success.... now that we're finally living in the present and looking to the future, we're being knocked for forgetting our history? :p

De Gea has definitely gone backwards this season.

He'd the same in-front of him last year, and was singularly responsible for the inflated league position Utd achieved. I'm not discounting his achievements, but even the most ardent red must see that he's gone backwards this year, and Becker is head and shoulders above him ability wise at the moment.

I think any neutral would find your choice of de Gea over Becker mind-boggling.

He had the same in front of him last year.

Sure did and in my opinion only for him last year we wouldn't of finished any near we did. People on about his form we would be alot further down the table this year only for him in alot of games this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Don't get this. For years Liverpool fans have been absolutely blasted for referring to the history books for success.... now that we're finally living in the present and looking to the future, we're being knocked for forgetting our history? :p

So this/next year is our year has never been associated with Liverpool fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we all know what type of game this will be.

despite Liverpool missing Matip, TAA and Gomez, Mourinho will have his team as compact as he can possibly make it, and rightly so given how relatively immobile the likes of Pogba, matic and Fellaini can be, particularly defensively.

he'll rely on targeting the channel between Lovren and whoever our RB is, and he'll try to encourage Martial and/or Rashford to pick up some pieces and do something incredible to get a goal or 2, which they are utterly capable of.

i think it will be 0-0 personally, but i think it's a game where if there is a goal, the first one will decide the winner.

fyfe79 wrote: »

I think we should just 'know our place'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Liverpool down to 4th and 5th choice right-backs with TAA, Gomez and Clyne all out. Can we expect to see Rashford playing off Utd's left up against either Milner or Fabinho? I'd say he'd get some joy out of either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

.468172.png

Jordan Henderson? :pac::pac:

I wouldn't have him near either team

He'd the same in-front of him last year, and was singularly responsible for the inflated league position Utd achieved. I'm not discounting his achievements, but even the most ardent red must see that he's gone backwards this year, and Becker is head and shoulders above him ability wise at the moment.

I think any neutral would find your choice of de Gea over Becker mind-boggling.

De Gea is still the best keeper in the world but his form has nose dived and Allison has been far better than him this season.

I've no doubt he'll get back to where he was though.

De Gea is still the best keeper in the world but his form has nose dived and Allison has been far better than him this season.

I've no doubt he'll get back to where he was though.

So you agree then. Alisson is currently the best keeper in the world.

I wasn't saying any different.

Allison has more clean sheets, less goals conceded, higher save percentage and better passing stats. He is also better looking and has marvolus hair :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd go with Oblak myself but it's close. Ederson up there too, Neuer and De Gea have not been at the races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Klopp's presser is live in the next few mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1awJ_Jblvws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's the team who have won the league 19 times (about to be 20 it seems) v team who have won it 24 times in the alternative we don't include cash cow league.

I'm hoping United fans don't get urine all over them like time I was there cause we ain't winning this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I didn't have a choice sir.

Cantonas Collars made a ball of the last one so I have to try and redress the balance.

It's the team who have won the league 19 times (about to be 20 it seems) v team who have won it 24 times in the alternative we don't include cash cow league.

What does this sentence mean? Neither team have 19 league titles about to be 20, and what is the 24?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

8-10 wrote: »
    What does this sentence mean? Neither team have 19 league titles about to be 20, and what is the 24?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

8-10 wrote: »
    Klopp's presser is live in the next few mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1awJ_Jblvws

Not much insight from this anyway. Refused to be drawn into making comments about Pogba, very complimentary to United's quality, speed, and manager ("most successful manager around"), previous results haven't been good but maybe it's time for a Liverpool win, but not concentrating on the past too much, rested all day Wednesday after Napoli, most important training session is today, Trent is a blow but we have options, Nathanial Clyne is fit and he made it sound like he's the most likely but also name-checked Rafa Camacho who played RB preseason and also Curtis Jones who played v United in preseason. Spoke a bit about Harry Wilson, how good a manager Lampard looks, no plans at the moment to recall him but not ruling it out in case there's injuries but intention is to keep him at Derby and praised performance v United in the League Cup saying that it wasn't United being weak but Derby playing very very well. Name checked de Gea and said Pogba is world class.

I still think it will be Milner at RB with Clyne on the bench but Camacho might make it on the bench

• Advertisement
Advertisement