Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Manchester United 16/12 - Sky Sports 16:00 **See OP for mod warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I have no clue....whoosh

What am I missing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's almost certainly a low scoring, low on drama affair again and I'm sure we can all get along afterwards in the festive spirit...

When was the last dramatic game between these two sides...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

8-10 wrote: »
    I have no clue....whoosh

What am I missing?

Ah its just in relation to seeing posts complain about Chelsea and City and how they are what's the word Plastics I think or along those lines and had they not been so unfair in financial stakes then we see different outcome in the league.

In fairness I agree I be delighted to be awarded 4 more leagues since 2006 over it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dfx- wrote: »
    It's almost certainly a low scoring, low on drama affair again and I'm sure we can all get along afterwards in the festive spirit...

It's probably the worst spectacle of the season.
    Can't remember the last decent game between them.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Clyne back in training this week so looks like he'll start at right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

dfx- wrote: »

Gerrards last game was fairly dramatic. That was what, 5 years ago almost? The EL second leg was also a decent enough game iirc. They generally are a dab squib, certainly on recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Gerrards last game was fairly dramatic. That was what, 5 years ago almost? The EL second leg was also a decent enough game iirc. They generally are a dab squib, certainly on recent times.

Almost 4 years since he retired. Never a tight yet high scoring games like against arsenal or city

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There's usually more drama on Boards recently between the fans than there is on the pitch :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

5starpool wrote: »

Would prefer to see clyne and shaq than milner at rb and another central midfielder. Could sturridge or origi start perhaps. Freshen it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Even with a patched up defence, expecting Liverpool to get the win on Sunday.

Expecting United to try target Lukaku vs Lovren and whatever RB we play - be it Clyne or Milner, they will go route one hoofball again like last year at home in OT and then hope for knockons to wide and use pace of Rashford/Martial whoever plays LW to run at our RB. It'll be their main tactic I think. midfield 3 of Fellaini Matic & Herrera - we know what to expect there. Young, Bailly, Jones, Darmian as the defence I'd say with full backs told to stay narrow.

Liverpool I think will start Hendo, Gini & Keita. front 3 then as is, with Salah out wide. I'd prefer him to play in the middle this time but I don't think we will see it. There's a chance we do Mane RW, Firmino LW and Salah CF but I don't see it happening myself. Shaqiri to start from the bench.

Liverpool to try win it by just being a better footballing team and trying to play it on the ground, play through the banks of giants in midfield (Fellaini, Matic and if Pogba plays). I hope Salah plays though the middle as he is scoring for fun when he plays against the mid table teams.

But expect United to play for a 0-0 and the fans & manager will celebrate any sort of draw (let alone a win) like a massive victory - the same way Everton celebrated massively this time last year when they came to Anfield and got a dodgy penalty and won the game 1-1. But mid-table teams do celebrate those away draws to big teams usually ;)

Low scoring home win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

For perhaps the first time in my lifetime, I think I can say that when I look at this United team I don't see much to be fearful of.

Doesn't mean I can't see them getting a result, of course I can, but the change in the two clubs over the past couple of years really has been massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liverpool should win this easily - their pace, movement and workrate will make it an easy match unless United perform contrary to every other game this season.

The only silver lining is the possibility a stuffing could be the thing that finally sees Jose sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Going to be a lot closer than people think. Liverpools right is significantly hampered with the loss of TAA and Gomez, with Martial, if fit having the speed and ability to get in behind. Fellani coming on after 60 mins and Lukaku as well, if Utd get a hold of the ball, it could force Van Djik to switch with Lovren which would unsettle the whole back 4, but of course be better than being on the back foot constantly on the right side.

I expect the following lineups
    Alisson
    Fabinho-Lovren-Van Djik-Robertson
    Gini-Henderson-Milner
    Salah-Firmino-Mane

De Gea
    Young-Bailey-Jones-Shaw
    Herrara-Matic-Pogba
    Lingard-Rashford-Martial

I think Jose will try force the play down Liverpools right hand side and the absence of TAA will restrict Liverpools ability to keep Young back.
    Pogba will start as the problems he has shown this season about slowing play and not willing to get back won't be a factor in this game. Getting hold of the ball in midfield will be crucial for Utd. If Martial doesn't play, I expect Mata to come in and help with that job.
    If both Shaw and Martial are not 100%, I wouldn't expect both to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Necro wrote: »
    There's usually more drama on Boards recently between the fans than there is on the pitch :pac::pac::pac:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!*

:mad:

*this is a joke btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

5starpool wrote: »

Was Fabinho not a very good RB once upon a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

What is with the "emotional" sh!te I see certain posters trying to shoehorn into every post

I get the slip jibes but not that reference?

As to the game a nice comfortable 2-0 would make me happy but I am expecting more of a cagey 0-0 or an uncomfortable 1-1

I could be wrong but believe it references a flare up between supporters in the aftermath of the CL final, which led to a de-modding and posters getting banned. It must have been said somewhere that Liverpool fans were emotional after losing the match so the mods may have been lenient to them biting to the Utd trolling. Since then Utd fans have used it along with the word slip in 'hilarious' and frequent fashion, not at all coming off bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Liam O wrote: »

His lack of pace/acceleration would terrify me there tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Clyne wont start - He hasnt played in nearly a year and you want him to start this game as his comeback? I'd be happy with milner or fab - milner moreso as I have mixed feelings on fab. You know what you get with milner - Although I would also prefer milner to upend pogba in the center in the 1st 30 seconds. Knowing pogballs he'l score a worldie and all will be well in utd's worlds - Milner is a top class upender!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ardinn wrote: »
    Clyne wont start - He hasnt played in nearly a year and you want him to start this game as his comeback? I'd be happy with milner or fab - milner moreso as I have mixed feelings on fab. You know what you get with milner - Although I would also prefer milner to upend pogba in the center in the 1st 30 seconds. Knowing pogballs he'l score a worldie and all will be well in utd's worlds - Milner is a top class upender!

Clyne played in the cup defeat by Chelsea in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Clyne played in the cup defeat by Chelsea in September

Oh - Well I wont doubt your fachkts - Still too long a layoff imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As with the case now a days in the Soccer Forum, once the game starts most fans will go back to their own threads anyway, the victors will come pouring back in here afterwards.

I wonder what Utd will do with Jose if they lose as they could be 19pts pts off top but more importantly 9pts off 4th with pretty much half the season gone and their form being all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ardinn wrote: »
    Oh - Well I wont doubt your fachkts - Still too long a layoff imo!

Ah yeah, i know what ya mean. He played 5 games last season and 1 this. Not great preparation for a game against united!! (especially when they seemed to have joy down our right in recent years).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

GavRedKing wrote: »
    As with the case now a days in the Soccer Forum, once the game starts most fans will go back to their own threads anyway, the victors will come pouring back in here afterwards.

I wonder what Utd will do with Jose if they lose as they could be 19pts pts off top but more importantly 9pts off 4th with pretty much half the season gone and their form being all over the place.

I can't think of a worse way to spend a tension filled match like this than being on boards trying to one-up randomers on the internet! I genuinely don't see how people do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liam O wrote: »

He was, and still is for Brazil at times. I think Klopp sees him still developing into the Liverpool midfield system so it'd be a combination of Klopp not wanting to confuse the issue getting him to play at RB before he sees him as having fully integrated into the team's way of thinking, and someone like Milner being able to adjust to playing in a position he isn't drilled in (to Klopp's satisfaction) better. Somewhat guesses though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I can't think of a worse way to spend a tension filled match like this than being on boards trying to one-up randomers on the internet! I genuinely don't see how people do it.

Lack of friends in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

These are always tough games if you're looking to really achieve something. A mid table side with some quality unburdened by any pressure or expectation and happy to sit in and take a 0 - 0. If Liverpool don't take the points it kinda doesn't matter in the bigger picture. I'd happily lose on Sunday if it meant taking six points off City and Arsenal in a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its usually after the fact, you wont get many in a match thread gloating early doors in case it blows up in their face. :o

A lot will depend on if Pogba and Lukaku start for United for me, if they both do Lukaku will keep giving the ball back to Liverpool and Pogba wont track runners and will most likely get caught in possession loads as he tries something fancy.

Also this group of players are much more likely to crack under pressure then rise to the occasion. If the 2 above dont start I might give us a fighting chance to nick something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A lot will depend on if Pogba and Lukaku start for United for me, if they both do Lukaku will keep giving the ball back to Liverpool and Pogba wont track runners and will most likely get caught in possession loads as he tries something fancy.

Also this group of players are much more likely to crack under pressure then rise to the occasion. If the 2 above dont start I might give us a fighting chance to nick something

It's mad to say that you wouldn't trust your two most expensive signings in a big game, and I'm sure your not the only one feeling that way?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's mad to say that you wouldn't trust your two most expensive signings in a big game, and I'm sure your not the only one feeling that way?

With Lukaku he is just woefully out of form, its been like playing with 10 men with him recently, Pogba just doesn't seem at all bothered when he plays he has always been ill disciplined but now is lacking any upside at the other end of the pitch.

At least when Lingard, Marital and Rashford play you get an honesty of effort with good technical ability on the ball although thier decision making can be poor at times (to be expected with Martial and Rashford being young enough though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

TitianGerm wrote: »

Certainly when you compare the trust fans have in Liverpool’s 2 biggest singings – VVD & Becker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

rob316 wrote: »
    It's probably the worst spectacle of the season.
    Can't remember the last decent game between them.

it won't be a decent game but I expect Liverpool to win by 2 or 3 at least.

If the stars align it could easily be 4 or 5 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And that's just in your own thread. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    These are always tough games if you're looking to really achieve something. A mid table side with some quality unburdened by any pressure or expectation and happy to sit in and take a 0 - 0. If Liverpool don't take the points it kinda doesn't matter in the bigger picture. I'd happily lose on Sunday if it meant taking six points off City and Arsenal in a couple of weeks time.

It's a bit disingenuous to describe United as a midtable side unburdened by pressure, despite their current league position. This is the same side that came second last year.

There's also the rivalry aspect of the game which makes this anything but a run of the mill game against a midtable side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The most recent meetings (say, the last two or three seasons) have generally stunk the place out. Desperately poor games, all 100mph stuff with precious little finesse on show. Is it too much to hope for a decent game on sunday? One that lives up to the ridiculous Sky hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The two most hated teams in Ireland faceoff in the bi-annual snorefest. Afterward while the millionaire footballers enjoy a pint and the craic together we'll be ripping the crap out of each other right here.
    This is my least favourite game of the season

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The two most hated teams in Ireland faceoff in the bi-annual snorefest. Afterward while the millionaire footballers enjoy a pint and the craic together we'll be ripping the crap out of each other right here.
    This is my least favourite game of the season

You aren't forced to watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

brinty wrote: »
    No need to get emotional about it
    Don't say stupid things about being undefeated when you've lost four times

You feeling emotional again brinty? Want to talk about it? Emotion emotion emotion...no laughing matter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

And that's just in your own thread. :):)

This comment garners all comers for Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When will Graeme Souness say “this is man united” in the “its not good enough” context?

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - More then once

When will Graeme Souness say something that sounds complimentary to United (they are massive, Fergie etc etc) but is really a roundhouse dig at the state of the club?

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

When will Roy Keane give a look of absolute pure , raw hatred to one of the panel or presenter when asked a question that makes him want to puke?

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

Will Roy Keane have an argument with the panel about Pogba ?

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Drumpot wrote: »
    When will Graeme Souness say “this is man united” in the “its not good enough” context?

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - More then once

When will Graeme Souness say something that sounds complimentary to United (they are massive, Fergie etc etc) but is really a roundhouse dig at the state of the club?

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

When will Roy Keane give a look of absolute pure , raw hatred to one of the panel or presenter when asked a question that makes him want to puke?

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

Sounds like brilliant TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Heart says pool to win comfortably,head says a dour 0-0 with Utd offering nothing,Herrera putting in 5/6 yellow card tackles but only getting 1 and Jose saying how he was easily motm,ahhhhhh fcuk it 7-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

FitzShane wrote: »
    Even with a patched up defence, expecting Liverpool to get the win on Sunday.

Expecting United to try target Lukaku vs Lovren and whatever RB we play - be it Clyne or Milner, they will go route one hoofball again like last year at home in OT and then hope for knockons to wide and use pace of Rashford/Martial whoever plays LW to run at our RB. It'll be their main tactic I think. midfield 3 of Fellaini Matic & Herrera - we know what to expect there. Young, Bailly, Jones, Darmian as the defence I'd say with full backs told to stay narrow.

Liverpool I think will start Hendo, Gini & Keita. front 3 then as is, with Salah out wide. I'd prefer him to play in the middle this time but I don't think we will see it. There's a chance we do Mane RW, Firmino LW and Salah CF but I don't see it happening myself. Shaqiri to start from the bench.

Liverpool to try win it by just being a better footballing team and trying to play it on the ground, play through the banks of giants in midfield (Fellaini, Matic and if Pogba plays). I hope Salah plays though the middle as he is scoring for fun when he plays against the mid table teams.

But expect United to play for a 0-0 and the fans & manager will celebrate any sort of draw (let alone a win) like a massive victory - the same way Everton celebrated massively this time last year when they came to Anfield and got a dodgy penalty and won the game 1-1. But mid-table teams do celebrate those away draws to big teams usually ;)

Low scoring home win.

Last paragraph there is a bit of a pisstake, still only half way through the season. Yup we're not going to top four the way we going, but to call us a mid-table club that will go crazy for a 1-1 draw. If anything that comment makes it sound like you have the league won already.

Plenty of us over at the united thread want him gone and a few lacklustre players with him. Whole ****ing club needs a shake up.
    When Liverpool were at their worst, dont think many realisticly would call a liverpool team a mid table club.
    So as much as their is banter, their's plenty of history between clubs and the clubs indivually.

Dont be making a statement like if we draw the game we'll be celebrating like we won it because thats bull****. Especially after the over exubrant celebration of Klopp against Everton.

Drumpot wrote: »

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - More then once

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

- Before the game
    - During half time
    - After the game
    - more then once

If thats a drinking game, everyone will be pissed before the game starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Last paragraph there is a bit of a pisstake, still only half way through the season. Yup we're not going to top four the way we going, but to call us a mid-table club that will go crazy for a 1-1 draw. If anything that comment makes it sound like you have the league won already.

Plenty of us over at the united thread want him gone and a few lacklustre players with him. Whole ****ing club needs a shake up.
    When Liverpool were at their worst, dont think many realisticly would call a liverpool team a mid table club.
    So as much as their is banter, their's plenty of history between clubs and the clubs indivually.

Dont be making a statement like if we draw the game we'll be celebrating like we won it because thats bull****. Especially after the over exubrant celebration of Klopp against Everton.

In fairness I agree with most of that. Though I will say that when Liverpool were at their worst (Hodgson) we WERE a mid-table side with a manager to suit. Utd are not at that level but it should serve as a reminder to the Utd board that things CAN get worse if they don't address the issues.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    In fairness I agree with most of that. Though I will say that when Liverpool were at their worst (Hodgson) we WERE a mid-table side with a manager to suit. Utd are not at that level but it should serve as a reminder to the Utd board that things CAN get worse if they don't address the issues.

Problem here is though it goes all the way to the board to players, Woodward is a marketing man and is good at it, at making decisions where it effects the on field play, he should stay well away from. A DoF is badly needed here now, a proper football man.
    Ed and the board will have a huge decision to make christmas break no matter the result.
    Keep and and keep the ****e play anf results or....
    only reason i havent seen it happen yet because the person they want to replace is not going to leave any club mid season at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

AidoEirE wrote: »

Used to happen all the time on this forum. Hence Liverpool fans saying it about Utd now...

What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Can’t see anything but a 0-0 draw or a big win for Liverpool by any score you choose if they score early and the game opens up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm genuinely concerned for man united here, Liverpool have everything, pace, hunger, technique and a world class manager, everything this current United side lacks. This could be a massacre.

6-1 to merseyside red

Advertisement