Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open viewing

Options
  • 14-12-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi, my partner and I are looking for a new apartment to move into. We found one in Dublin which has an open viewing date set. My question is how is the competition for the open viewing? If we do like the place and want to rent it can we just say we like it and we'd like to move in or how does it exactly work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hi, my partner and I are looking for a new apartment to move into. We found one in Dublin which has an open viewing date set. My question is how is the competition for the open viewing? If we do like the place and want to rent it can we just say we like it and we'd like to move in or how does it exactly work?

If it is an area where rental properties are in high demand, you are likely to be literally competing against other viewers so you have to do everything you can to get it.

Bring references from previous landlord(s), work references and three months rent with you to the viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

Dav010 wrote: »
    If it is an area where rental properties are in high demand, you are likely to be literally competing against other viewers so you have to do everything you can to get it.

Bring references from previous landlord(s), work references and three months rent with you to the viewing.

3 months rent, as in cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I personally wouldn't bother my arse with open viewings. It pissed me off no end when I'd arrange a "viewing" in the past and I show up to see the place and see a dozen or more others waiting also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

3 months rent, as in cash?

No, you offer to pay deposit, first month and last month rent up front.

Dav010 wrote: »
    No, you offer to pay deposit, first month and last month rent up front.

Ah OK, Thank you for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

There will be a lot of competition. IMHO prepare a folder with references, bank statements and anything else you think will impress the landlord. Bring 1st month, last month and deposit. Get there early to be first to make an impression.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

turn up early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Dont get your hopes up, just tell them you like it and would like to be considered for it hand over your documentation and move onto the next one... hopefully youll be lucky at some point. Personally ive been on both sides of the table and bringing a ton of cash to these viewings where you have a very slim change seems a bad idea all round.

Doop wrote: »
    and bringing a ton of cash to these viewings where you have a very slim change seems a bad idea all round.

+1, wasting your time bring that kind of cash tbh. I wonder if people suggesting that have ever actually been successful doing it, I know I haven't.

Any decent LL won't agree to let to you just because you have some cash on you, especially when there's a literal queue of people behind you. They're going to want to check your refs etc. They'd be an idiot not to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pelvis wrote: »
    +1, wasting your time bring that kind of cash tbh. I wonder if people suggesting that have ever actually been successful doing it, I know I haven't.

Any decent LL won't agree to let to you just because you have some cash on you, especially when there's a literal queue of people behind you. They're going to want to check your refs etc. They'd be an idiot not to.

Not to mention that 3 months rent would easily be 4500 - 6000. Who the hell wants to be carrying that around in cash?

• Advertisement

Got one more question. I just went in for the open viewing yesterday. I was reading an article which said open viewings are pointless and that people should get an appointment to meet the agent and or landlord privately. So since I was at the open viewing yesterday can I request again to meet the landlord and or agent privately?

Got one more question. I just went in for the open viewing yesterday. I was reading an article which said open viewings are pointless and that people should get an appointment to meet the agent and or landlord privately. So since I was at the open viewing yesterday can I request again to meet the landlord and or agent privately?
    You can request anything you want, but unless they have actually told you that that you can have the place then you probably won't get a response.

TBH, if you went to the viewing yesterday and haven't heard anything by now, you probably aren't getting it.

Pelvis wrote: »
    You can request anything you want, but unless they have actually told you that that you can have the place then you probably won't get a response.

TBH, if you went to the viewing yesterday and haven't heard anything by now, you probably aren't getting it.

Thank you for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I went to one in 2014 when things were hotting up. It was about 30 people milling around an apartment. One of the attendees went up to the letting agent and loudly said “I’ll take it” and immediately had approximately 30 sets of eyeballs glaring at her. The letting agent was like “Aaah, put your name on this list if you’re interested.” :D

But bring references and deposit with you, it might be noted on any interest list there may be.

Advertisement