Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New build hints tips and tricks

• 14-12-2018 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm just about to break ground on a new build and am looking for general info on how the build progresses.

We priced a few builders and have decided to go down the route of managing the build ourselves to save costs as some of my family are involved in the trades.

Is there a general ganntt chart (or similar blueprint) for a typical house build. I know every house is different but a general this happens first then this then this. I have the general gist of the sequence of things but I'm sure there are things that I would miss out on.

We have the guys for the raft, then the block work/insulation, hollow core for the upstairs, roof and windows lined up already. Then last night I thought.....who puts in (and when do they put in) the window cills? Details like that are what I'm looking for. Also things like when do I need scaffolding and for how long?

I may start a little blog (or update this thread) of how the build is going, depending on time available to me and if it could potentially help others in the future.

Also if people have hints tricks or info they wish they knew before starting a build that would be great!

I should add we also went to a kitchen place and are taking kitchen layout in mind when doing the block work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

Gonna cost you if you haven't nailed down prices before you start....
    Who is going to check on quality of work and materials? How qualified is s/he to do so?
    And a few dozen more questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

We have an engineer that has specced the house so the materials are good.
    What other questions do you think I should be able to answer?
    Thanks!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks. That covers a few tips that it looks like we have already accounted for, which is encouraging!

Anyone have a rough these are the steps (sequence) in building a standard current spec house?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Issac wrote: »

Anyone have a rough these are the steps (sequence) in building a standard current spec house?

This is not the kind of question you should be asking yourself or the internet while entering into a self build in my opinion.

I'm all for self build, but please, do not underestimate the shear amount of work required in ordering materials, arranging trades to be there at the right stages. There will be days you will need you sparks and plumber there in the same room at the same time, and days where you need both there but the sparks for one hour only. You have to plan for this and if its family doing the job, does this mean evenings? Will the other trade hang around for him?

What happens when there's an issue to be resolved mid concrete pour or a small mistake, its your fault as you are now the contractor.

I managed my own renovations and extensions on my own property, and i'm in the game so to speak, and I'd never do it again while working my main job 9-5!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I'm aware of the time commitment and the coordination of trades involved. I'm and engineer myself so have lots of experience with scheduling and coordinating people/materials. I'm just looking for a general roadmap as an overview if people know where to get one

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.homebond.ie/home_builders/publications/

a good starting point, if you can find a copy

Advertisement