Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name of these leads

Options
  • 14-12-2018 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

could someone please tell me the name of these leads please?
    and know of any connectors to hook up to modern pc?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

First one is a DB9 , I think you can get a DB9 to VGA for modern monitor. Next is a pc parallel connection for printing ect

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

1st one is a DB9 female or serial cable.
    2nd one is a parallel port 25 pin Female . ( printer port)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

You can get adapters for any of these that will allow you to connect them to USB. They're basically the predecessors of USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

fisher8181 wrote: »
    could someone please tell me the name of these leads please?
    and know of any connectors to hook up to modern pc?

Thanks in advance

1 is a serial
    2 is a parallel i think.

in my experience a serial to usb can be got but is hit and miss depending on the device connected. I usually would be working with medical devices, the adapter can be got for a euro on ebay.

Mockba wrote: »
    1st one is a DB9 female or serial cable.
    2nd one is a parallel port 25 pin Female . ( printer port)

I know you can get a USB conversion piece for the serial, I don't think so for the printer one

• Advertisement

Can definitely get a USB converter for printers. Drivers can be hit-and-miss though. Windows 7/8/10 would handle it no problem using generic printer drivers, but XP or Vista are kind of caught in a halfway house between serial comms and USB. I'm guessing if the OP has cables like this, then he may also have some very old machines running very old OSes.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

Thanks all.
    seamus wrote: »
    Can definitely get a USB converter for printers. Drivers can be hit-and-miss though. Windows 7/8/10 would handle it no problem using generic printer drivers, but XP or Vista are kind of caught in a halfway house between serial comms and USB. I'm guessing if the OP has cables like this, then he may also have some very old machines running very old OSes.

Yes. Thats my next problem!

I dont really need the printer and i will get a usb adapter but the CD i have to install software does not work for my os.
    I tgink it worked of windows 98!!

Is it possible to uninstall current os and install a gistoric version like windows 98 just to get it to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I thought archeology would have separate forum....
    :D

What error you get?

If you trying to install some prehistorical soft from CD and its failing it might be x16bit based

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

The second one looks to me like a 25 pin serial with a gender change plugged in.

• Advertisement

I thought archeology would have separate forum....
    :D

What error you get?

If you trying to install some prehistorical soft from CD and its failing it might be x16bit based

haha, yes i think that is the problem.
    what would be the easiest option to resolve?

any easier option than buying a retro pc?

VMware or similar maybe?

Thanks all.

Yes. Thats my next problem!

I dont really need the printer and i will get a usb adapter but the CD i have to install software does not work for my os.
    I tgink it worked of windows 98!!

Is it possible to uninstall current os and install a gistoric version like windows 98 just to get it to run?
    Do you need the software? Windows 10 will probably be able to talk to the printer without any setup.

seamus wrote: »
    Do you need the software? Windows 10 will probably be able to talk to the printer without any setup.

I have the software CD but it says something like i cant run a 32bit on a 64 bit program.

The software disc has windows 95 on it!!

Would it be an option to buy this

https://m.gearbest.com/diy-parts-components/pp_1380505.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=4265218&gclid=CjwKCAiA0uLgBRABEiwAecFnkzE7rphzip2Ai-T0hk0NzW0WETavPQ4uaExjzIt11WYyTBEgIKQ3hRoCUcwQAvD_BwE

and this

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=263348444191&category=11226&pm=1&ds=0&t=1545174239336&cspheader=1

for my PC?

Would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not entirely sure what your goal is here :D

Is it an old printer that you're trying to hook up to a modern PC? What model?

TheChizler wrote: »

TheChizler wrote: »

No, i'm not bothered about printer.

I have a 30 year old piece of medical equipment that has a rs232 lead and the software that comes with it runs off windows 95!!
    the lead does not hook up to my pc and the software doesn't install as my pc is 64bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

No, i'm not bothered about printer.

I have a 30 year old piece of medical equipment that has a rs232 lead and the software that comes with it runs off windows 95!!
    the lead does not hook up to my pc and the software doesn't install as my pc is 64bit!

You might well do better to get an old PC that is being dumped (that already has an RS232 interface), install Win 95 on it and your medical software and use that specifically to interface with the old equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You might well do better to get an old PC that is being dumped (that already has an RS232 interface), install Win 95 on it and your medical software and use that specifically to interface with the old equipment.
    That would probably be the best long term option, but if they have a Windows 95 OS cd and get a USB to RS232 adapter they could try it out in a virtual machine.

https://www.howtogeek.com/329301/how-to-install-windows-95-in-a-virtual-machine/

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

And make sure you do NOT connect it to the internet.

Advertisement